Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW8

Robin M

One more post then I'm done hogging the board for awhile.  (Stacia - thanks for explaining how to look up number of pages you've read!)

Books read in 2015:  21

Pages read in 2015: 4382

Looks like I love short books.  

• Like 11

Now that I'm reading more widely (thanks to BaW'ers) -- I am finding that I have read the 1st in several series - almost all that I like enough to read the rest BUT none of which I really like enough to zoom through the rest.  I have put some '2nd books' on hold - but I'm not really ready for them yet.   How do you guys keep track of your 'to be read maybe someday' list?   

I'm finding that Goodreads.com is working the best for me this year.  It's an easy place to build shelves and mark each book/author/series I'm working on.

• Like 6

I prefer the mystery authors, but am almost disappointed that we won't all be trudging through Virginia Woolf together, as it is the only way I expected to make myself read another of her works.

Well, I will still read Woolf with you, and it looks like Stacia might not be totally against it.

ETA: Oh, and now I'm feeling like I should say something like - So you wouldn't be a lone Woolf reader.

I might join you in some Woolf too. I want to read both To The Lighthouse and Orlando so...

Nan, I didn't get to reply to your question from last week before the switch over today, so...

I would probably just convert our den.  Big, overstuffed chair in front of the window, bottomless mugs of coffee and tea, walls lined with shelves, books stacked on the floor, kitties on my lap, dog at my feet.

Teacher Zee, regarding your secret bookshelf door...

... have your seen this?  It is on my someday list!

I hadn't seen that one, but I have seen versions :lol:

• Like 8

I'd read the author's The Weaver Takes a Wife, but I haven't read any of her mysteries.   Thanks for the enthusiastic recommendation!

Regards,

Kareni

Based on the speed in which you can read a book I have to ask ... have you finished the first one yet?  What did you think?   :laugh:

• Like 8

In the Nick & Jake book that I mentioned earlier (one of the reasons I read The Sun Also Rises), another character used is Larry Darrell from The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham. So, I'm now reading The Razor's Edge. I've never read Maugham (loved the movie version of The Painted Veil) & I'm already really enjoying this one.

Larry Darrell is a young American in search of the absolute. The progress of his spiritual odyssey involves him with some of Maugham's most brilliant characters - his fiancée Isabel whose choice between love and wealth have lifelong repercussions, and Elliott Templeton, her uncle, a classic expatriate American snob.  Maugham himself wanders in and out of the story, to observe his characters struggling with their fates.

http://critique-magazine.com/article/maugham.html

• Like 8

Based on the speed in which you can read a book I have to ask ... have you finished the first one yet?  What did you think?   :laugh:

Ah, but the speed of reading fights the desire to save my own money by spending the library's!  I've put in a purchase suggestion.  Does that count?!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I'm finding that Goodreads.com is working the best for me this year.  It's an easy place to build shelves and mark each book/author/series I'm working on.

I'm on Goodreads but haven't used it for much other than entering books and looking to see if I'm interested in the suggestions.  I'll have to give it a closer look.

• Like 6

Man, I just came back from a weekend away and I'm already 24 hours and almost 60 posts behind!!!  

I want to read A Room of One's Own, so I'll join the Woolf-pack (hee hee).

I also am inspired to re-read Daughter of Time, though - I remember liking it when I read it years ago, but I don't remember much about it.  So I think I'll pick it up this month too.  

Still reading through Jane Austen, though, fun to revisit those books.

My book club ditched Keep the Aspidistra Flying so we'll be reading A Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.  I have a weird feeling that I read it at some point in my life, but don't remember it at all.

Other than that, I'm listening to the Sally Lockhart mysteries by Phillip Pullman, still reading Spillover, the human disease book, and reading Sanderson's Steelheart for fun.

Books of 2015:

26. The Ruby in the Smoke - Philip Pullman

25. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Vol. 2 - Arthur Conan Doyle

24. The Friendly Persuasion - Jessamyn West

23. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

22. My Antonia - Willa Cather

21. The Secret History of the Mongol Queens - Jack Weatherford

20. Amsterdam - Ian McEwan

19. The Creation of Anne Boleyn - Susan Bordo

18. Girls on the Edge - Leonard Sax

17. Ancillary Sword - Ann Leckie

16. Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen

15. The Black Cauldron - Lloyd Alexander

14. 1984 - George Orwell

13. My Real Children - Jo Walton

12. The March of Folly - Barbara Tuchman

11. Day - Elie Wiesel

10. The House of the Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne

9. The Wikkeling - Steven Aronson

8. Whole Earth Discipline - Stewart Brand

7. The Ghost-Feeler - Edith Wharton

6. Dawn - Elie Wiesel

5. The Strange Library - Haruki Murakami

4. Ancillary Justice - Anne Leckie

3. The Case of Comrade Tulayev - Victor Serge

2. Night - Elie Wiesel

1. The War of the Worlds - H. G. Wells

• Like 10

Mercy me! Next time I'll just stick my fingers in my ears and say la la la la la la la!  :001_tt2: :lol:

Okay, newly founded members of the  BaW Woolf Pack - her birthday is the last week of March so I'll dedicate that week to Virginia.  :wub:

• Like 11

I'm on Goodreads but haven't used it for much other than entering books and looking to see if I'm interested in the suggestions.  I'll have to give it a closer look.

This year I've become involved with the discussion groups and I've enjoyed them quite a bit.

Another thing I like about goodreads is the phone app. It can scan barcodes so I use it to track books that way. Sometimes I scan things at bookstores or cafes and then I pull out the app at the library.

• Like 5

If you informed an American that a massive asteroid was hurtling toward Earth at 125,000 miles an hour and that in twelve weeks the planet would be blown to smithereens, he would say: "Really? In that case, I suppose I'd better sign up for that Mediterranean cooking course now." If you informed a Briton of the same thing, he would say: "Bloody typical, isn't it? And have you seen the weather forecast for the weekend?"  :lol:

Too funny!

Ok, so I am NOT loving "Daughter of Time" Like, to the point where I might abandon it, which is something I almost never do.

I read this so long ago that I don't remember much about it, but now you're jogging my memory. I do remember enjoying the historical parts of it, but the guy in bed parts not so much.

Well, I will still read Woolf with you, and it looks like Stacia might not be totally against it.

ETA: Oh, and now I'm feeling like I should say something like - So you wouldn't be a lone Woolf reader.

Lol. I just requested Orlando from the library. I saw the movie eons ago when it was in the theater & I remember a snowy scene that looked so frosty & cold that I was shivering in the theater. I really don't remember the story at all though, other than Orlando lives an extraordinarily long time & a sort-of surreal, dream-like quality.

Will finish Villette today (I hope, I hope, I hope--so ready to move on to something else!). And I believe I can count this as a "dusty" read--been on the shelf for years though this is the first time I've read it, AND I can get it off the shelf and give it away. I tend to keep classics but this is one I will never re-read, never read to the kids, and if they are assigned it or want to read it they can get it from the library. The back of my book talks about this book being the "height of her [brontë's] artistic power." I'm sure it would be interesting to analyze in a lit class or in a paper, but this book is so unsatisfactory to just read! I know it mirrors Brontë's life which wasn't exactly happy, but this book can get downright depressing. And I've cheated and read the end and there is no satisfaction there. I think this book is also more likely to be problematic for the modern reader. Anti-Catholic, the student who sounds developmentally disabled to some extent is called a cretin and is not looked upon favorably, the eventual romantic lead is very controlling, often physically (locking protagonist in attic, strong opinions on what protag. can/should do). Bleah. Read Jane Eyre instead--"equal, as we are!"--not much of that spirit in Lucy Snowe or Villette.

(Bolding mine.) Re: the bolded -- what is it about Bronte books that seem to do this??? (I'm agreeing with you & this is really just a rhetorical question. I think I've decided that the Brontes are just not for me.)

Once on a Moonless Night by Dai Sijie--I loved his Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, so willing to give this a try.

I also love Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, but I've never read other books written by Sijie. Be sure to post your review!

Thanks! I've read a couple of the ones on the attractive lists. Lol. One is Silence Once Begun by Jesse Ball. I thought it was an interesting & quick read.

Hmm. I might read The Iceland based on the cover:

the-iceland-hagiwara.jpeg

I love that cover too. Wish my library carried it. May have to break down & order it.

Hello m'dears!  I'm back from skiing so call off the search party.

Oh la la! Where did you go skiing?

• Like 8

Another thing I like about goodreads is the phone app. It can scan barcodes so I use it to track books that way. Sometimes I scan things at bookstores or cafes and then I pull out the app at the library.

I didn't know you could do that. I use my Amazon app to scan book bar codes and compare prices. I like the idea of scanning then checking my library.

• Like 6

I finished Good Omens Friday night, and loved it. It almost makes me want to try either a Pratchett or a Gaiman novel. Almost. Probably not though. 

Good Omens was the first Gaiman book I ever read as well. I have given it as a gift several times since then. I did go on to read more Gaiman, but it was years later. I now consider myself a dedicated fangirl.

I read this so long ago that I don't remember much about it, but now you're jogging my memory. I do remember enjoying the historical parts of it, but the guy in bed parts not so much.

You know, when you put it like that, it sounds even worse than it is. One would think the 'guy in bed' parts would be the highlight of the book.

So, I have put Daughter of Time aside, but I will return to it if I feel like it. I have started "Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights" by Pollitt.

But, really, life is too short to read a book that just doesn't connect. Not when I've got more than enough books around here that need reading, lol. I've got "The Orphan Master's Son" languishing on the bedroom floor, so I don't even have to run to the library to find a new book,

• Like 10

Stacia, I obviously made the right decision not to read Ulysses lol.

Me too! I've toyed with the idea, but after reading that quote, I'm glad I haven't actually followed through, lol.

I finished Good Omens Friday night, and loved it. It almost makes me want to try either a Pratchett or a Gaiman novel. Almost. Probably not though. 

Kathy, I think you'd enjoy Hogfather (Death himself is trying to 'fill in' for Santa while he's missing). It would be perfect reading to dip into late November/early December. Or The Wee Free Men. (I don't like audiobooks, but I do think Sean Connery might be perfect reading that one!)

My Ladies Book Club read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing.  That was weird.  There were some good points but mostly I was distracted by how odd the author was and how living as a single lady in Japan and decluttering didn't really translate well to the life of a married with kids gal living in the suburbs in the mid-west.  She also spent a lot of time talking to her things.  I can't remember if this was literally an example or if I'm misremembering but I think she thanked her purse for a hard days work each day and worried about the feelings of her socks if you rolled them.  Okay.  If I start worrying about the feelings of DS's puzzles or DD's tights if I don't fold them just so then we're going to have some real productivity issues in this house. 

I enjoyed the book well-enough (& liked the very Japanese outlook, but then again, I worked for Japanese companies for many years), but I do have to say as a suburban mom, there are plenty of things that don't really spark joy but that we need (lawnmowers, for one). Heck, even my pots & pans don't spark joy (because I don't really enjoy cooking), but I guess I do need to hang onto them.

Mercy me! Next time I'll just stick my fingers in my ears and say la la la la la la la!  :001_tt2: :lol:

Okay, newly founded members of the  BaW Woolf Pack - her birthday is the last week of March so I'll dedicate that week to Virginia.  :wub:

I guess we're worse than trying to stuff an octopus into a sack? :willy_nilly:  (Just requested Orlando from my library.)

You know, when you put it like that, it sounds even worse than it is. One would think the 'guy in bed' parts would be the highlight of the book.

:smilielol5:  <wiping the tears away...>

• Like 13

Can I post?

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS) Small "gift books," but quick, encouraging messages. Counting them both as one, since they are only about 50 pages each!

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson. My ten year daughter and I are both reading these "National Park Mysteries.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

• Like 9

Judge%2Bbook%2Bcover%2Bgiants.jpg Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro

This is my vote!  I need to go look it up on Amazon!

Will finish Villette today (I hope, I hope, I hope--so ready to move on to something else!). And I believe I can count this as a "dusty" read--been on the shelf for years though this is the first time I've read it, AND I can get it off the shelf and give it away. I tend to keep classics but this is one I will never re-read, never read to the kids, and if they are assigned it or want to read it they can get it from the library. The back of my book talks about this book being the "height of her [brontë's] artistic power." I'm sure it would be interesting to analyze in a lit class or in a paper, but this book is so unsatisfactory to just read! I know it mirrors Brontë's life which wasn't exactly happy, but this book can get downright depressing. And I've cheated and read the end and there is no satisfaction there. I think this book is also more likely to be problematic for the modern reader. Anti-Catholic, the student who sounds developmentally disabled to some extent is called a cretin and is not looked upon favorably, the eventual romantic lead is very controlling, often physically (locking protagonist in attic, strong opinions on what protag. can/should do). Bleah. Read Jane Eyre instead--"equal, as we are!"--not much of that spirit in Lucy Snowe or Villette.

Thanks for this detailed review!  I have decided to skip this and be content with the Austen book I read for February.

It's been a long month full of troubles so I'm hoping that I can get a couple more books read and then shut the door on February for good! We had a carbon monoxide fiasco on Thursday which led to the baby having to stay overnight at his parents' house for the first time while we replaced our furnace. It didn't go so well for him but he'll be staying there more frequently as he needs to adjust before he moves back in mid-March. Good thoughts and prayers for his safety would be awesome.

:grouphug:  and prayers!  I think you are AMAZING!  I adore kids and have always been interested in fostering but I could not give them up again.  More  :grouphug:  j

Spent the evening watching the Oscars. During the honor to those from the film industry who passed away in the past year, Gabriel García Márquez was listed. I looked on wikipedia & learned that he did indeed have "a long and involved history with film":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Garc%C3%ADa_M%C3%A1rquez#Film_and_opera

Dd's and I always watch, though I went to bed early last night 'cause we had co-op this morning.  I noticed his name on the list as well.

Attention all Flufferton gals!  

Have you read The John Pickett mysteries by Sheri Cobb South?  I know some of y'all have because I'm sure it was recommended here (Laura? Kareni? Rose?).  I read the three books in a 24-hour period and then emailed the author to find out when the next one is come out.  They are light, fast, and just delightfully fun.  A little bit of cozy mystery and a little bit of Regency romance.  The first book was good, the second book was really good, and the third book made me want to drive out to the author's house and demand to see the in progress manuscript so I know what happens next.   :laugh:  Have I convinced you to give these a try yet?  (Angel - this is totally G rated.)

:laugh: Thanks for the rec!!  I am going to add it to my LONG TBR pile!

:hurray:  for multi-quote working!

Teacher Zee - I absolutely LOVED your idea for your dream library!  I am so totally with you!  I am also all over the maid and the cook  ;)

• Like 8

In defense of Daughter of Time:  those of us who love Shakespeare's Richard III might enjoy this one more than others?

In the Nick & Jake book that I mentioned earlier (one of the reasons I read The Sun Also Rises), another character used is Larry Darrell from The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham. So, I'm now reading The Razor's Edge. I've never read Maugham (loved the movie version of The Painted Veil) & I'm already really enjoying this one.

http://critique-magazine.com/article/maugham.html

Maugham is a wonderful writer.  Razor's Edge is on my list to read this year.

And Stacia, I am so delighted that you enjoyed reading Hemingway.  It seems that lots of people read books influenced by Hemingway's characters or Hemingway's wives, but for some reason these same people choose not to read Hem himself. Good for you.

• Like 10

Monarch, Colorado.  I grew up skiing there and it hasn't changed a bit.  That's kinda fun.  

Very cool. I am terrible at skiing (have learned a little bit as an adult & did not grow up skiing), but I love it!

Can I post?

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS) Small "gift books," but quick, encouraging messages. Counting them both as one, since they are only about 50 pages each!

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson. My ten year daughter and I are both reading these "National Park Mysteries.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

:hurray:  Good to see you, Maus! How are you doing?

The Wee Free Men on audio is totally worth the time!  It had me  :lol:

:thumbup:

In defense of Daughter of Time:  those of us who love Shakespeare's Richard III might enjoy this one more than others?

You mean you weren't reading it for the 'guy in bed' parts?!? ;) :w00t: :laugh:

And Stacia, I am so delighted that you enjoyed reading Hemingway.  It seems that lots of people read books influenced by Hemingway's characters or Hemingway's wives, but for some reason these same people choose not to read Hem himself. Good for you.

I know a few people who love Maugham's writing. So far, this book is lovely; he is a wonderful writer.

Thanks. I'm glad I revisited Hemingway too. I read For Whom the Bell Tolls a long, long time ago, but it had been so long that I really didn't have a good feel of his style anymore (other than what everyone talks about). Maybe it's because I used to do writing/editing, but I really do love his spare style. He self-edits beautifully, imo. (I have a harder time with flowery writers like Dickens or even the Brontes, if you can call them that, though I don't think of them as 'flowery', more just excessively wordy.) I enjoy what is written in clear, powerful statements, as well as what is left unsaid, rather than verbose missives that gallop through too much paper & ink, all while beating dead horses. :P  In that respect, Hemingway is probably a match made in heaven for me. Lol.

• Like 10

I love Richard III (the play, neutral about the person) and that is part of why I had this book on my list.

I should love this book. The time it which it is set, the subject, all of it should make it the perfect little book for me. I'm just not feeling the love. The underlying premise, that you can tell anything about anyone from a painting, and worse still, that someone's face betrays much at all about their inner self, is just infuriating to me. At this time, I just can't get past it. I keep thinking about another great Shakespeare character and the quote "One can smile and smile and be a villain."  But, I actually don't care much either way if Richard III was or was not really a villain, I am not saying that at all. He might have been or he might not. But, we certainly can't start making up our minds about it by gazing at a picture of him. 

The real point of the book is that history is a legend agreed upon. I get that and I agree with it. I will prob go back to this one. I got about halfway through, so maybe putting it down a few days will make me feel better about it, lol.

And I've had Maugham on my list of 'get to these books soon' forever. I really should get on that.

• Like 6

DH reports in that he's enjoying it although he's on page 70 and not a lot has happened.  (Do I tell him that it doesn't get much more exciting than that?)  We are all British history buffs in my house though so I suspect he might enjoy it more because of his interest in Richard III.  

• Like 6

This evening I finished Tessa Dare's historical romance Say Yes to the Marquess.  It was an entertaining read (some adult content).

"After eight years of waiting for Piers Brandon, the wandering Marquess of Granville, to set a wedding date, Clio Whitmore has had enough. She's inherited a castle, scraped together some pride, and made plans to break her engagement.

Not if Rafe Brandon can help it. A ruthless prizefighter and notorious rake, Rafe is determined that Clio will marry his brother--even if he has to plan the dratted wedding himself.

So how does a hardened fighter cure a reluctant bride's cold feet?
  • He starts with flowers. A wedding can't have too many flowers. Or harps. Or cakes.
  • He lets her know she'll make a beautiful, desirable bride--and tries not to picture her as his.
  • He doesn't kiss her.
  • If he kisses her, he definitely doesn't kiss her again.
  • When all else fails, he puts her in a stunning gown. And vows not to be nearby when the gown comes off.
  • And no matter what--he doesn't fall in disastrous, hopeless love with the one woman he can never call his own."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I finished Ender's Game and can report I found nothing redeeming about it in plot, character development, or writing.  :leaving:

It turned out to be a real slog for me. DH says the graphic novel was better and didn't have some of the things I didn't like in the novel (like the brother, Peter) but I'm too over it to read another version.

Sorry, fans.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I was thinking of Annihilation but the first few paragraphs made me think I need something else between it and Ender's Game. I think I'll read Shamans Through Time instead. It's been in my TBR pile for a long time. Another thought is Murder on the Orient Express so I can get in Christie for the challenge. I can't believe I've never read it.

• Like 8

While waiting for dh to finish fixing the floor so I could get to drywall, I read Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Now I'm making mental plans for my new and improved super garden. Well, anything would be an improvement over last year's total garden fail. Still working on the winter gardening book, and also checked out an urban farmer book. Apparently an urban farmer is a gardener who lives in a city. :)

• Like 9

While waiting for dh to finish fixing the floor so I could get to drywall, I read Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Now I'm making mental plans for my new and improved super garden. Well, anything would be an improvement over last year's total garden fail. Still working on the winter gardening book, and also checked out an urban farmer book. Apparently an urban farmer is a gardener who lives in a city. :)

I always think ahead to garden projects at this time of year, as well. My garden was badly neglected last year so I have lots to do. My fence-tieing project will have to be timed just right between the snow and the mosquitoes. I have a new japanese garden book that I am looking forward to reading and I need to read more about roses because mine aren,t doing well. Meanwhile, I have been doing some gardening this week!!! Despite 6 feet of snow in the yard! I have been aquascaping a large aquarium while trying not to get attached to any of the lovely planting so have made. When the water stabilizes (when good bacteria has multiplied enough in the filter to handle it), I will be adding my goldfish. This is about like letting a bunch of bored toddlers loose in a Japanese garden. Oh well. As long as nobody dies, I will be happy. Meanwhile, I have been having a lovely time reading the aquarium equivalent of garden catalogues and paddling about in the tank rearranging things.

I am finally into my book enough not to be bothered by the French. Reading a book in another language is being an excellent way to make the book last so I can live in its world longer.

Nan

• Like 12

I'm reading chapter 4 in my A&P book which I do believe that textbooks count as double points, right? I fell asleep on the couch last night reading it. Woke up after about an hour with my face half on the page of the book and half on the couch. I'm sure had my dh seen me he would have been over come by desire. 

Also, I totally forgot that this is Austen month! My favorite author and I forgot! 

Now, do I do the responsible thing, set a good example for my children, and catch up on my class reading, or do I pick up Austen, telling myself I'll catch up later? 

• Like 13

I just had to share the very first sentence I read this morning - it's priceless:

"Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for every one thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess."  - Rene Descartes, Discourse on Method (from Harvard Classics in a Year)

• Like 11

Now, do I do the responsible thing, set a good example for my children, and catch up on my class reading, or do I pick up Austen, telling myself I'll catch up later? 

I'll be bad & vote for the Austen!

(We're having a snow day, so I say take it easy today. Granted, it's only about 1/4" of snow, but still.... Lol! It's gorgeous.)

• Like 8

Oh, I'm doing the happy dance!  I just got a book I've been waiting for for two years - waiting for it to be translated into English and available here.  It's Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Harari.  I have watched his Coursera class twice, and loved it.  Looking forward to reading this aloud with the girls!

:party:

(I figured you guys would get the "my book finally got here" happy dance - none of my friends IRL would.  Love you guys!)

• Like 13

Oh, I'm doing the happy dance!  I just got a book I've been waiting for for two years - waiting for it to be translated into English and available here.  It's Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Harari.  I have watched his Coursera class twice, and loved it.  Looking forward to reading this aloud with the girls!

:party:

(I figured you guys would get the "my book finally got here" happy dance - none of my friends IRL would.  Love you guys!)

Yay!!!

:hurray:

• Like 5

I've had this book for a long time and recently re-read it as were finally moving to a place where we can have a garden. You've started me dreaming again!

---

Well I ended up both starting and finishing Murder on the Orient Express last night. I thought I would read a few chapters but in the end it was an interesting and easy read and everyone else was asleep so I just kept going. I haven't read much mystery outside of Sherlock Holmes when I was a teenager, although I did read a lot of those. 

• Like 9

I rarely read (or even like) YA books, but I've started one that seems promising: Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor.

7507944.jpg

From Kirkus:

Who can't love a story about a Nigerian-American 12-year-old with albinism who discovers latent magical abilities and saves the world? Sunny lives in Nigeria after spending the first nine years of her life in New York. She can't play soccer with the boys because, as she says, "being albino made the sun my enemy," and she has only enemies at school. When a boy in her class, Orlu, rescues her from a beating, Sunny is drawn in to a magical world she's never known existed. Sunny, it seems, is a Leopard person, one of the magical folk who live in a world mostly populated by ignorant Lambs. Now she spends the day in mundane Lamb school and sneaks out at night to learn magic with her cadre of Leopard friends: a handsome American bad boy, an arrogant girl who is Orlu’s childhood friend and Orlu himself. Though Sunny's initiative is thin—she is pushed into most of her choices by her friends and by Leopard adults—the worldbuilding for Leopard society is stellar, packed with details that will enthrall readers bored with the same old magical worlds. Meanwhile, those looking for a touch of the familiar will find it in Sunny's biggest victories, which are entirely non-magical (the detailed dynamism of Sunny's soccer match is more thrilling than her magical world saving). Ebulliently original. (Fantasy. 11-13)

And, a review of it by author Cory Doctorow.

• Like 10

I've had this book for a long time and recently re-read it as were finally moving to a place where we can have a garden. You've started me dreaming again!

---

Well I ended up both starting and finishing Murder on the Orient Express last night. I thought I would read a few chapters but in the end it was an interesting and easy read and everyone else was asleep so I just kept going. I haven't read much mystery outside of Sherlock Holmes when I was a teenager, although I did read a lot of those. 

That's one of her best books!  Such a surprise at the end.  If you are in the mood for another Christie book I highly recommend Death on the Nile.  One of my absolute favorites.

• Like 9

I, for one, am glad we are switching to Mystery March  ;)   My favorite Agatha Christie is And Then There Were None.  I haven't read it since I was much younger, so I will probably reread it in March.  I have always wanted to read Murder on the Orient Express, though, so I might try to squeeze that in as well.  And I'm filing Death on the Nile in the back of my mind too! 

• Like 11

I am still savoring Out of Africa.  It remains one of my favorite books of all time.

Here's a rather sad quote from it when she is leaving her beloved coffee farm:

"When in the end, the day came on which I was going away, I learned the strange learning that things can happen which we ourselves cannot possibly imagine, either before-hand, or at the time when they are taking place, or afterwards when we look back on them.  Circumstances can have a motive force by which they bring about events without aid of human imagination or apprehension.  On such occasions you yourself keep in touch with what is going on by attentively following it from moment to moment, like a blind person who is being led, and who places one foot in front of the other cautiously but unwittingly.  Things are happening to you, and you feel them happening, but except for this one fact, you have no connection with them, and no key to the cause or meaning of them......Those who have been through such events can, in a way, say that they have been through death, - a passage outside the range of imagination, but within the range of experience."

It reminded me of something I once heard a somewhat wise man tell the parents of graduates.  He said that "all change brings grief."  

Not much further down the page I had to laugh because she states that "the Norwegians are undismayed in any storm but their nervous system cannot stand a calm".  

• Like 8

I re-read, with great pleasure, a favorite historical romance ~ Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady.

From Booklist: "British spymaster Robert Grey came to France to find Annique Villiers, the notorious “Fox Cub,†only to end up sharing the same prison cell as the beautiful spy. In order to escape, the two enter into a reluctant partnership that ends the minute they’re free. Believing that Annique has valuable information about the “Albion plansâ€â€”Napoléon’s scheme to invade England—Robert’s only goal is to get her back to London, but the surprisingly resourceful Annique is determined to thwart Robert at every turn. In her exceptional debut romance, Bourne deftly distills danger, deception, and desire into a seamlessly constructed story that will captivate readers with its irresistible combination of superbly nuanced characters and a high-adrenaline plot. --John Charles"

My library has purchased the author's first book (recently re-issued in paper after some 25 years), and I'm looking forward to reading it as it features a character that has appeared in all of her books.  I've seen the book described as a gothic regency.

Her Ladyship's Companion

Of course, it can be dangerous to go looking for an author's earlier works.  One of my favorite paranormal romance authors is Thea Harrison.  I recently read two romances that she wrote in the eighties; they've been republished, I imagine, to take advantage of her current popularity.  Let me say that her writing has improved over time.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I, for one, am glad we are switching to Mystery March  ;)   My favorite Agatha Christie is And Then There Were None.  I haven't read it since I was much younger, so I will probably reread it in March.  I have always wanted to read Murder on the Orient Express, though, so I might try to squeeze that in as well.  And I'm filing Death on the Nile in the back of my mind too! 

Add in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and you have the best of Agatha Christie! The girls and I did Murder on the Orient Express as a read-aloud last year and enjoyed it very much. I have a bunch of Agatha Christies--I think they were the only books I bought as a young adult. If I try to read them now, I usually think I don't remember them, but I can always solve the murder, so it's there in my brain somewhere! 

• Like 9

That's my favorite too! I've re-read a few with Shannon recently.  We agree that And Then There Were None was our favorite, then Murder on the Orient Express.  We also read Towards Zero which was pretty good.  And I had such a blast watching Shannon read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd! I lurked around as she read the ending, and it was such a hoot - I don't want to say why in case some of you guys haven't read it, but it's a good one!

ETA: Ali, I posted before I read yours - but I totally agree!  If you've never heard of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, read it, but avoid spoilers!!!

The very first one I ever read, in jr high or high school, was The Pale Horse.  I really liked it and I think I read most of them, at least most of the Poirot mysteries, when I was that age.

• Like 9

I am still savoring Out of Africa.  It remains one of my favorite books of all time.

Here's a rather sad quote from it when she is leaving her beloved coffee farm:

"When in the end, the day came on which I was going away, I learned the strange learning that things can happen which we ourselves cannot possibly imagine, either before-hand, or at the time when they are taking place, or afterwards when we look back on them.  Circumstances can have a motive force by which they bring about events without aid of human imagination or apprehension.  On such occasions you yourself keep in touch with what is going on by attentively following it from moment to moment, like a blind person who is being led, and who places one foot in front of the other cautiously but unwittingly.  Things are happening to you, and you feel them happening, but except for this one fact, you have no connection with them, and no key to the cause or meaning of them......Those who have been through such events can, in a way, say that they have been through death, - a passage outside the range of imagination, but within the range of experience."

It reminded me of something I once heard a somewhat wise man tell the parents of graduates.  He said that "all change brings grief."  

Not much further down the page I had to laugh because she states that "the Norwegians are undismayed in any storm but their nervous system cannot stand a calm".  

Ooo lovely quote!  I know that feeling.

Nan

• Like 5

Add in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and you have the best of Agatha Christie! The girls and I did Murder on the Orient Express as a read-aloud last year and enjoyed it very much. I have a bunch of Agatha Christies--I think they were the only books I bought as a young adult. If I try to read them now, I usually think I don't remember them, but I can always solve the murder, so it's there in my brain somewhere! 

That's my favorite too! I've re-read a few with Shannon recently.  We agree that And Then There Were None was our favorite, then Murder on the Orient Express.  We also read Towards Zero which was pretty good.  And I had such a blast watching Shannon read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd! I lurked around as she read the ending, and it was such a hoot - I don't want to say why in case some of you guys haven't read it, but it's a good one!

ETA: Ali, I posted before I read yours - but I totally agree!  If you've never heard of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, read it, but avoid spoilers!!!

The very first one I ever read, in jr high or high school, was The Pale Horse.  I really liked it and I think I read most of them, at least most of the Poirot mysteries, when I was that age.

Thanks for another recommendation!  Aly wanted to read Christie a couple years ago after watching the Doctor Who episode on her  :laugh:   I had her wait so that she would get the most out of it.  She's ready now, and I can't wait to pass And Then There Were None on to her!  I know she's going to love it.

• Like 8

Agatha Christie books are my comfort books.  Lately I've only been listening to them as audiobooks to make them last longer and because they are done by some fantastic narrators.  I haven't read The Pale Horse yet - it is now on my to-read list.  Thank you for the recommendations.  

For March mystery month I'm going to do:

1 x Dorothy Sayers book

1 x Josephine Tey book

1 x Agatha Christie audiobook

It'll be such a chore ...  :001_tt2:

• Like 10