Menu

Any skiers here? With kids? tips for a newbie?

madteaparty

We've just moved  to an area with a ton of mountains and everyone skis here. We skied a few times (downhill) last year and I had a bad experience with renting unwaxed (?!?!) skiis, then DS's boot size was not correct, etc. Imagine me (a complete beginner myself) trudging back and forth (while in my own skiis), etc. Anyway, I've already decided I am buying his skiis and ski boots this season. My DD is in school 3 days a week (and anyway, the head of her school takes the little kids skiing so I don't worry about the three year old)--I plan to take DS at least weekly, possibly twice weekly as soon as some of our fall classes end next week. I am not convinced I love it, myself, so I will rent. Any tips, in terms of what kind of equipment to buy for the boy? I will take him  to be measured for the boots in person , but in terms of skiis themselves? I really don't know anything (except that they made snow already ;))!

I bought boots a few years ago after renting for most of my life. It was the most horrific painful ski experience of my life. They take a long time to break in. Wear them around the house a lot to get them broken in. Now I love them. I wish I'd known before hand though that it would take such a long time to get used to them because I would not have bought them on day one of a weeklong ski trip.

At that age, I would do a season rental instead of buying skis and boots. Most places around here will let you come in whenever needed and change boots and sizes if they get too small or are uncomfortable. They will also fix any problems with the skis (wax, etc)

Also, definitely a helmet - they are required for kids at all of our local resorts.

Our ski shop had a three year "junior exchange program" where we bought skis, boots and bindings and had them fitted and then returned them each spring and picked up another set in similar condition each November. In the third year, we kept the skis. Check if there's something similar in your town.

Also, out town has a "ski swap" for cheap kids skis.

The exchange program is really common here too. You get outfitted or the season (you buy), then you are able trade up sizes every year at steep discounts. Very popular for families as it saves a lot of money.

We only do Noric skiing so I don't know if there's a difference in downhill bindings, but that might be something to consider if you want to buy boots but rent the rest. My DS has particular shoe/boot needs, so I totally get why you'd want to purchase the boots separately. eBay and swaps can be very worthwhile if you know exactly what you are looking for.

Hope someone can give you specifics on the skis. If you are buying everything, I would get the whole package at once. Typically you'll get a discount on the entire package.

Don't buy for kids!! They outgrow or outperform the gear too quickly. Check out seasonal rental opportunities in town, where you rent a ski/boot combo at the beginning of the season and can come in and upgrade as needed during the season.

Do get a personal helmet. Sharing helmets - yuck.

At that age, I would do a season rental instead of buying skis and boots. Most places around here will let you come in whenever needed and change boots and sizes if they get too small or are uncomfortable. They will also fix any problems with the skis (wax, etc)

Also, definitely a helmet - they are required for kids at all of our local resorts.

We rent at Play It Again Sports for the season. Last year I traded in my boots after the first ski trip and they made it easy for me.

Also, when one of my clips wasn't working properly, the ski rental place at the mountain fixed it for me in just a few minutes, for free, even though it wasn't "their" ski.

There's no way I can be bothered to buy skis for a growing person, however, I am cheap, so take that for what it's worth. :)

Don't buy new. Find a place that sells used. I buy used and then I can trade them in the next year for 40% of what I paid. It is much cheaper than renting. I have 3 children so I don't typically trade them back in but a couple years ago two of my kids wore the same size boot so last year I traded one set in and applied it to that year. As for the boots, I buy at least a size up and add an extra pair of socks if needed. If you need to break a boot in its the wrong boot for you. I've skiied 35 years and I've never had to break in boots.

I agree with the others---you should get a seasonal rental, especially for beginners. Your DS will probably progress quickly at first and may need different skis/boots, or he might outgrow them. I am sorry (and somewhat surprised) that you had a bad first experience at your local ski shop. Give it another try, just making sure that you have a different tech evaluate your DS.

There is so much to know regarding skis and boots, from boot flex to ski stiffness to turning radius. I have been skiing since high school and my girls have been skiing since they were 2yo. I still seek and take the advice of my local ski shop guy!

Good luck with whatever you decide. It is a great, life-long sport to get into!

Lessons.  Find out who is the instructor who teaches the ski instructors and hire that guy/gal.  BIG difference also in small class vs. big class lessons.  

YOU:  get boots.  Wear them for an hour a day for at least a week before you go skiing.  Then, at the beginning of each year, do the same thing.  During the off season, store them upright, with the buckles closed, not tight, but closed, to keep the plastic of the boot in the proper shape.  You can rent or buy skis...  Rental boots can kill all the fun.  I got my boots 16 years ago, and they are still great.  I had to have them repacked once.  You might rent skis a few times so you can try out different lengths and find out what you like.  I had skis that were about 10cm too long for a few years and found out that it was a LOT more fun to ski on slightly shorter skis.  I could have saved myself the price of a set of skis had I rented a few different styles and lengths first.  

KID:  we bought boots and skis but until the kid was 12, we had a good exchange program.  I still would prefer to buy the boots and skis because I could get the kid onto the slopes really fast and without a lot of retraining.  We skied every Tuesday from age 4 - 13.  It was one of the best things we ever did.  If you only ski 3-4 times a year, rent, especially for the kid. 

Get GOOD ski clothes.  It makes all the difference to be warm and happy.  My son would ski with a garbage bag (slits for arms and head) when it was rainy.  He was such a good sport.  Not me.  The Lodge for me.  Use food-service gloves under the regular gloves.  That way if your gloves get wet, your HANDS are still dry and a lot warmer.  

If you end up skiing and separated, for whatever reason (like this one:  my son could ski better than I by the time he was 6), get some walkie-talkies and make it a rule that the kid has to check in at the bottom before s/he gets on the lift, and tell you what lift s/he is riding.  This made a big difference for a friend of mine, whose kid went down and because she knew where to look for him, the ski patrol had him off the slope super fast.  And in the ambulance.  

We had a blast, and I regret not one penny.  Watch it after about age 12--the exchange programs don't go past that age around here and suddenly you're in for a whomper of a bill if you update boots and so on every year.  Renting isn't free, though, so keep an eye on both options. 

We chose to take up snowboarding instead of skiing. We started a few years ago. Either sport, I'd recommend the same thing: take lessons. Dd & I took a set of 4 (ds had them with a homeschool group; dh decided to wing it & copy us LOL) .

They were heavily discounted to get people hooked & included equipment and passes for the rest of the day. They also offer women only classes & various age division classes - everything to make people feel as comfy as possible while they're learning.  We didn't get season passes this year but if we had, I would have been looking at doing another set of lessons because I've plateaued & am too chicken on my own to know how to proceed to get braver.

FWIW, everyone here told me that while boarding has a slightly steeper learning curve at the very beginning (the first lesson is very humbling LOL), it's easier to get to an average skill level.  The orthopedic guys also say snowboarding is easier on the knees.

We did end up buying equipment the 2nd year.

Wow, thanks again so much. As I said, we are brand new, and I don't know anything so all responses are appreciated! Snow sports are all there is to do here December through March!

I'm not sold on downhill skiing myself, and I think cross country is more my speed. But I go along with him for now. He says he wants to try snowboarding this year; that one I'm not joining in but enrolling him in lessons.

I thought of one other thing, though you may already know this: when you go to try on your boots, wear everything that you will wear skiing - your ski socks, whatever tights or fleece pants you'll wear, etc. Those extra layers on your calf have to go in the boot and make a difference if things feel tight or not.

I've been skiing 20+ days per season for a very long time - this will be my 40th year (I started very young like your son). It's one of my greatest joys in life, especially going with my family. I'm excited for you to learn and share in it with your family!

We bought skis and boots. Kids skis aren't that expensive. We bought skis and boots at levelninesports. You can get skies and boots under 200 while renting will be 150 a season around here. I usually get 2 season out of it for skis. We also get the adjustable boots, which last at least 3 seasons. And my older will pass to younger. I think we do get our money worth.

I highly recommend buying ski set ups from levelninesports.com They sell skis from one or two seasons ago, so they are wayyy cheaper than a local shop, but awesome quality. You can get a kid all set up for about $200. 

Note, are you sure your kids want to ski, not snowboard? Many/most boys (and most girls) gravitate to snowboards these days, as they are the new, cool thing. Of my kids (all skiing by age 4/5), the older two are dedicated snowboarders, and the youngest is still on skis, as she didn't like her first outing on a board last winter. (Yay! One kid still on skis like me and daddy!)

For ski boots, they sell variable sized (kids 3-5) boots which are awesome. Buying new gear each year gets old fast, and the variable sized boots buy you at least two years. 

For ski clothes, we use multi-purpose clothes. Base layers of good quality long johns (c9 from Target is fine for kids. I upgrade to Under Armour when they are into adult sizes.) GOOD MITTENS (see levelninesports) are the most critical item, IMHO. Also, get two good pair of ski/board socks for each child (level nine). If hands and feet are warm, and you have good long johns on, the rest of the layers are much more flexible. I buy bib-style black or other neutral snow pants/ski pants (simple Lands End or similar is fine until they are adult sizes and want something specific). You need WATER PROOF BUTT on the snow pants. That's critical (as sitting on snow on the lifts will end up in a very cold butt if the rear isn't water proof.) I like fleece for layers. C9 at Target or similar elsewhere is all good. For very cold days, we do a layer of fleece between the long johns and the snow pants. Up top, most kids will be overly hot by the time you get long johns, fleece, AND a great winter snow coat . . . You can play that by ear, but I always make sure to have at least one good fleece mid-layer available in case it gets bitter cold. Of course, you want something for the ears, and you want goggles. For the ears, a "buff" is awesome, but anything is fine so long as it will stay on. Neck covered, too, of course. 

FWIW, we never buy special "ski jackets". I only buy winter kids' coats that are good for snow play and skiing, so they wear the same coat to play in the back yard or go to the store as they do to ski/board. If they have coats good enough to sled for 6 hours, then they are good to go.

Amazon has some good deals on things like goggles. 

Buy a dozen "hot hands" warmers (2 per skier) to keep on hand for really cold days or little kids . .. replace as needed. 

ps. Whatever you do, only get UNISEX equipment if you have mixed gender kids!! I was in a hurry the first year we bought equipment, and didn't think of that! From then on, only unisex stuff was bought here until my kids are now old enough that they are buying stuff that won't be handed down . . . (dd17 is done growing, ds15 is taller than any of us will ever be, so his stuff can never be handed down . . . and my baby dd12 is on skis still, and has no one younger than her . . . so only in the last couple years have I bought cute flowery skis/boards for the girls and blazing-dragon board for my son . . . Before that, I tried to keep it very neutral! Same goes for ALL clothes, gear, etc. It makes me crazy that they sell kids' skis so gender specific! How wasteful!!

We are new to skiing also, and we rented last year. I was not overly thrilled with the boots we rented. If I can ask - how tight are they supposed to be? The foot bed was okay but they squeezed my calves too much - I could barely get them buckled. Same for the kids - it was a struggle to put them on each time. Despite this we had a great time and we're looking forward to our second season. I am kicking myself for not buying boots in Jackson Hole this summer because nearly-new boots were *cheap* at a fancy thrift shop. Oh well.

We always buy at the local ski swap.  A large community race club hosts it, and they have multiple ski/boot experts ready to help you find the right gear.  The first year we bought for everyone, and after that we only bought boots as needed and handed everything else down.  It is easy to adjust the bindings using a large screwdriver and a DINS chart.

Boots should be tight, but not painful.  In order to try them on without expert help, pull out the inner boot lining and try that on alone so you can see the fit and press on the toe to check for toe space.  If you get them too big your foot will slide around and tire quickly leading to sore feet.  After you have checked them that way, put the lining back into the boot and try them on by buckling them up.  They are hard to buckle, especially when cold; we keep them in a warmish place.   If you have a hard time putting them on, pull the tongue up as well as forward while sliding your foot in.  It is best to do this while standing.  When trying them on buckled, you want to keep the sole of the boot on the floor and press your leg forward from the knee to see if your heel will lift up and down inside the boot. You don't want it to slide around. This will also pull your toes back from the front to give you more toe space.  Finally, you should know to keep them buckled when you're not wearing them to keep them from getting damaged and to maintain the proper shape.

Make sure you wear ski socks to try on boots, and then don't tuck anything else into the boots while you're skiing.  We keep the long underwear/pants pulled up or over, and the snow pants go over the top of the ski boot.  Anything tucked into your boot will wind up pressing/rubbing on your leg eventually causing pain.  We've found that toe warmers work better than foot warmers.  They should be shaped to the front of a boot, and have a sticky side.  Reach your hand into the boot and stick it to the insole up near the toe because they will just get peeled off if you try to stick it on your sock before you put on the boot.

Don't forget a balaclava and/or other neck warmer.  If you go with the balaclava, make sure it fits under your helmet.  On super-cold days put vaseline on any exposed face parts to prevent frost-bite.

Coat sleeves/ski mittens should be long enough to keep any wrist/arm skin from being exposed.  Regular knitted mittens or gloves are inappropriate for mountain sports.  Ski mittens are warmer than gloves, and you can use a glove-liner inside them, along with a heat pack on the back of the hand, to keep even warmer.  Having it on the back of the hand keeps it from getting in the way of gripping your poles.