Menu

Low carb vent--making two dinners stinks!!

Moxie

how come?  what is there that they wouldn't like?  could you add a side of tortilla shells or bread or ??? for them to have with what you are having?  

my kids love meat; i can't imagine them not eating it.....

eg.  i make a lot of homemade soups.  kids love it with fresh bread.  depending on where i am at, i pass on the bread.

good luck!

ann

We've done low carb off and on for years. When we're on, I just make a starch for the kids- usually something that would last them two meals, like rice or potatoes, or mac and cheese. They ate what we ate plus a starch.  If dh and I did a salad as a meal, the kids got grilled cheese and a veggie. 

What kind of things are you making that they won't eat? Maybe we can help you brainstorm how to turn it into something they would enjoy. Because I'm with you- cooking two meals is NOT fun. 

I don't cook two meals--I just either cook an additional carb something for them, or let them add it--rice, corn, potatoes, cooked apples or other fruit (I will eat a very small serving of that), bread. It isn't as much work that way, and we are all eating more healthily. It also helps me not feel as deprived if I only have one thing I am having to refuse.

Let them find something else. If my kids don't want what is made, they can help themselves to bananas, carrot sticks, cheese sticks, etc.

They are 11 and 8, and don't live in a restaurant.

I agree.  And to add to that, it isn't like you are forcing them to eat really foreign and weird foods.  Eating low carb can mean something as easy as meat and a couple different vegetables.  That is a normal supper.  

I don't do separate meals either. I'm not super lc but very restricted with AIP which cuts out most starches and now dh is very low carb paleo. I just make a meat and veggies and starches on the side or I'll partition a bit off for dh and I and finish theirs up with whatever carbs/starches I'm using for them. The other day I did stew meat in the crockpot and then finished it with rice and spices for the kids, I used a small saucepan to make myself a curry sauce and sliced some cucumbers for everyone. I don't remember what dh did with his meat but he seasoned it up himself on his plate. 

Thanks for letting me vent! I guess my real issue (besides always planning 2 meals) is that I worry that my picky eaters are eating so much crap. Two of my kids live off of buttered noodles and cheese tortillas. I plan really healthy meals but there is just no way to convince my 4yo to eat a spinach salad (no suggestions please--it just won't happen).

I put out fresh fruit, make one or two kinds of veggies, salad, and meat. Sometimes I'll cook potatoes or rice for the boys, and bakery bread is always in the cupboard. I shun the fruit and of course the starches, eat the veggies, salad, and meat. We have milk in the fridge, and cheese readily at hand. It's up to them to fill their plates, and they know they need to eat veggies no matter what. I don't cook differently, and if they don't like it, they can go hungry or cook for themselves.

Except for children with sensory issues or other medical problems, it has been my experience as well as my friends that children might be picky for a few meals and skip food, but they get hungry and decide to join in before long.

The easiest way to do it though is to have fresh veggies and fresh fruit...a variety, plus cheese and put it out on a platter on the table or counter with whatever you cooked. This way they find something they are willing to eat. If the two year old only wants carrot sticks and cheese for a few days, it's a vegetable and a protein so I wouldn't worry about it, and my boys are known for slicing apples and dipping in peanut butter or something similar if they aren't hungry for the main course.

Thanks for letting me vent! I guess my real issue (besides always planning 2 meals) is that I worry that my picky eaters are eating so much crap. Two of my kids live off of buttered noodles and cheese tortillas. I plan really healthy meals but there is just no way to convince my 4yo to eat a spinach salad (no suggestions please--it just won't happen).

Instead of making another meal can you just serve her apple slices and maybe a slice or two of deli meat? It's still separate food that requires prep but not nearly as much as making another meal.

I make one dinner and then just not eat the starch or only a little tiny bit of it. If necessary, I add a little fat to my dinner or a spoonful of sunbutter or something. The only meal that gets especially tricky is when we order pizza (about once per week) and in that case I either eat something quick (some leftover ground beef or an egg or a sausage) or I eat the cheese off my little kids' leftovers (as I did last night).

The only mainly-carb meal I often cook for them is baked ziti, and in that case I just set aside some of the meat and sauce for myself before I put it on the pasta.

Some of my six kids are esecially picky and my dh does not do LCHF. It is much easier for me, logistically, to make "normal" dinners for the family and then just tweak my own plate rather than try to force the rest of them to go along with my wacky way of eating.

Once in a while, I actually plan my own meal in advance, and cook up some onions to use as "spaghetti" for some ground beef that I am making for the rest of the family. Usually, I am too busy to make the effort.

Eta, one thing I do for myself is make ice cream (heavy cream, cacao powder, vanilla, very small amount of sugar).

That sounds tough. :grouphug:

Maybe you could get some of the hidden veggies pasta for the buttered noodles and just let them eat that and some fruit as a side?

I don't make two meals, most of the time. I just make meals that don't center around grains and high carb foods, most of the time. Sometimes I make an optional starch. Tonight we are having fish, some sort of green veggie TBD from what's in the freezer, and a salad. The kids may or may not eat the salad; they didn't use to, but lately at least some of them want a bit. DH and I will eat the salad, and everyone will eat the fish and veggie. I will also make sweet potato fries, and everyone except for DH and maybe one of the boys, who doesn't like sweet potatoes, will eat those too.

Not low carb, but I'm also sick of dietary issues and pickiness leading to multi-stage dinners.

DS6 eats anything, and plenty of it. DS4 is "healthy-picky", but has been losing weight and has the doctor concerned, so I have to add calories somehow to his portion. DH is training for a triathlon and needs protein and calories, but cannot tolerate beans. My mom moved in last year. Before coming here, her dinner diet was pasta with cheese and sauce or meat. She also gags at the smell of any veggie that's not onions, potatoes, corn or lettuce. But we're a gluten-free house, I'm dairy-free, have severe GERD (no sauce or onions), and cannot eat corn or lettuce because of GI issues.

I'm sick of all our meals being "unassembled" to separate out the parts that someone can't or won't eat. I cooked the peppers in with the fajitas last night because I needed to use the crock pot. My mother tried to hide her disappointment but it was pretty obvious it made her "feel left out" (she has feelings about lots of things I didn't know people had feelings about).

And I just ate a bowl of taco leftovers with corn in it that no one will eat (DS6 helps, but he can't eat it all), because I hate wasting food more than I hate being nauseous and popping antacids like candy.

Sorry to hijack your own rant, but yeah, I'm sick of the dinner situation.

(Oh, and my grocery budget is out of control, and my oven's been broken for a year and a half. Now I'm done venting.)