Menu

Gymnastics Moms - Competition Leotard Questions (aka Fashion Advice)

k2bdeutmeyer

DD6 is a "Hot Shot" (gifted and talented program for littles). Her gym has decided to take them to 4-5 meets (bronze level Xcel) this spring just for some experience. I'm heading up the leotard order. We'll be ordering from Melody Leotards and have selected this one (which just happens to be in the exact colors we will be getting):

8361427955_1dea19a6cc_z.jpg

Now.....I have options for the back style. I was originally pretty set on this one (in all black - no pink):

8362497752_562ce374db_z.jpg

I liked that it was something different, but.....is it too "casual"? Should I just stick with a reg tank style back?

Also, I have a friend that does embroidery and has offered to embroider them for quite cheap. My initial thoughts were individual name on the hip and gym name on the back, like this:

8362491478_d91a5efe72_z.jpg

8361428495_afefaf145b_z.jpg

Now, I'm second guessing the name on the back for some reason - especially if we just go with a standard tank style back. Should I just stick with the gym name on the hip (I DO really like the look of embroidery there)??

I already have 2 out of 3 parents approval and go ahead to basically do whatever I think is best. I'm going in with my final proposal tonight and hoping to get final approval from everyone so I can go ahead and order this week. I just want to make sure I'm giving them the options that look the best and that *I* am happiest with, lol.

So, help!!!!

I do not like the cut-out back. The big girls would look silly in that, and that is what would be my standard. (My daughter is a 15 yo level 10.)

I do not like individual names, either, for the same reason, but the gym name in either location would be fine.

Do most of the teams at that level compete in long or 3/4 sleeves? If so, the girls may look too casual if they are the only ones out there in tanks. I have not seen littles compete in a long time, but that was my impression from way back when I did--the girls in sleeves looked more polished.

Terri

Well, these are only for DD and the 3 other little girls competing with her. They are 4yr (1) and 6yr (3). This is not a gym wide order.....just something so they look a little more put together. Gym owner and coach were just going to have them wear a leotard they already owned.....we, as parents, decided we wanted them to look more team-like than that. Owner & coach said they didn't care. I volunteered to head it up since I seemed to be the only one who knew what I was doing, lol.

Can we vote even if we don't have kids in gymnastics? I would not put the girls' names on the leos because it makes it a lot harder to hand down when they outgrow them! I like a plain tank style, but that's just my opinion--no experience with gymnastics competitions.

P.s. I do love the embroidery on the hip. And also, the leotard on the model is baggy. I am not familiar with Melody leotards, but if the pic is any indication, I would order small. Competition leotards are supposed to be crazy tight. I know they hate it, but they at least should not order with growing room.

I will shut up now.

Can we vote even if we don't have kids in gymnastics? I would not put the girls' names on the leos because it makes it a lot harder to hand down when they outgrow them! I like a plain tank style, but that's just my opinion--no experience with gymnastics competitions.

Of course you can!!

I hadn't thought of handing down, simply because none of the girls ordering have younger sisters. I DID think of resale....and realize that as soon as that embroidery hits the leo, resale is gone, lol. I'm okay with that and I seem to be the only one that resells leos anyway.

P.s. I do love the embroidery on the hip. And also, the leotard on the model is baggy. I am not familiar with Melody leotards, but if the pic is any indication, I would order small. Competition leotards are supposed to be crazy tight. I know they hate it, but they at least should not order with growing room. I will shut up now.

Yep, I agree. They are custom made, so will be made to measurements vs standard sized. I ordered one for DD for Christmas and it was on the bigger side (I didn't realize I could just give her measurements vs ordering the standard size). No need to shut up :) I appreciate the opinions. I coached for 10+ years and feel like I have a pretty good handle on these things, but sometimes its nice to hear it from the parent's point of view, since I AM new to that aspect!

The leo style looks fine to me. I would not put the children's names on it but that's because I'm a bit paranoid about having children's names on things esp. if they are at a meet where they will be around people they don't know. I would put the gym name instead.

I think we may skip the individual name.....I was 2nd guessing it anyway and it seems to be the general thought here too. I just won't even offer it.

I've never seen a girl's name on a competition leo before. Both gyms we've belonged to have a buy-back program though. If it were up to me, I would prefer the basic tank and the gym name on the back.

Like I said, I think we'll skip that. Obviously, no buy-back program since we're doing this on our own. Really, these Xcel meets are pretty informal - not like the JO meets. I am glad that they will all be matching (hopefully the last parent agrees) though.

Cute choice!

That's cool that the gym let you pick! We're all stuck with whatever the coaches decide to order--this year it was $250 for the leo and $290 for the warmup. (Or something outrageous like that.)

Well, it WILL be that way once we get to "real" team (level 4). It helps that I've coached for a long time and know how this all works. Owner actually wanted me to take over the level 4 program, but I declined. She trusts me......and the other parents are still a bit clueless, so.....

I have a little gymmie too and her comp leo is a similar style. We love Melody for leos and I frequently order my dd's from them. They do not run big, BTW, they run pretty true or maybe even a little small. Tanks are fine for littles. Our lower level girls use tanks and we see them in the lower levels at meets. The gym name might be OK, but I would shy away from the girls' names for a few reasons. First, I have never seen names on leos at meets.....not that it is a good reason not to....just saying.... But more than that you have the safety issue. Again, our girls have their names on their warm-ups so it would be moot in our case, but something to think about with really young kids. But more than that, it is really nice to be able to pass along outgrown leos to others. Anything with a name becomes useless for future use by others.

ETA to say everything I just wrote was already addressed. Sorry!

Well, it WILL be that way once we get to "real" team (level 4). It helps that I've coached for a long time and know how this all works. Owner actually wanted me to take over the level 4 program, but I declined. She trusts me......and the other parents are still a bit clueless, so.....

That would be a big responsibility. Interesting they have so much parent involvement. Our gym has very little, and I'm not sure if that's because the owner and coaches want it that way, or lack of parental enthusiasm.

That would be a big responsibility. Interesting they have so much parent involvement. Our gym has very little, and I'm not sure if that's because the owner and coaches want it that way, or lack of parental enthusiasm.

I wouldn't say they have a lot of parent involvement really. I just have a lot of coaching experience and she wanted me to come on as staff (for the level 4s). For what they were wanting to pay me, it wasn't going to be financially feasible for me. I also wasn't thrilled about the time commitment with my littles at home still. Owner knows my experience and views me less as a parent and more as a colleague.

I would ask about the keyhole. One year we had a comp Leo order catastrophe and we had to do our first meet in whatever we had. The only rule was absolutely no keyhole on the back. Otherwise the leos are cute and would fit in with our littles squad.

I'm not a personal fan of the keyhole back. Also, as a PP noted, they may look too casual at meets in a tank leo. Long or 3/4 sleeves would be better. And I would probably skip individual names just because it will be nice for the parents to be able to resell outgrown leos.

That makes sense, then. It must really be beneficial to know and understand the sport. So many times, I'm clueless ;)

It can go either way, LOL! Makes it very hard to be "just a mom".....too easy to slip into gym Mom mode.

As far as 3/4 or long sleeves. I'm not worried about that at all. These Xcel meets are much more informal than the JO meets....and even then, it isn't uncommon to see JO level 4s in tank leotards around here anyway.

My dd6 is an xcel silver, but her team is quite big and spans the ages. My personal opinion is no keyhole. It just looks strange to me. Haha. No real reason, I just prefer the clean and simple look. I like the front of the leos though. I personally would skip the embroidery all together. Having them wearing the same leos will unify them. The name could be distracting and take away from the polished look. I think logos and/or names should be reserved for warm ups.

Just my two cents worth :)

It can go either way, LOL! Makes it very hard to be "just a mom".....too easy to slip into gym Mom mode.

As far as 3/4 or long sleeves. I'm not worried about that at all. These Xcel meets are much more informal than the JO meets....and even then, it isn't uncommon to see JO level 4s in tank leotards around here anyway.

LOL, I'll bet it's hard to be "just a mom". It's hard for me to be just a mom and that's all I really am! :smilielol5:

I wish we still had the tank leos. The girls aren't used to practicing in long sleeves, so it's a little odd on meet day. Plus there's a little pooch in the shoulders. Plus I'm scared to death of it getting dirty since it's so expensive, lol.

My dd6 is an xcel silver, but her team is quite big and spans the ages. My personal opinion is no keyhole. It just looks strange to me. Haha. No real reason, I just prefer the clean and simple look. I like the front of the leos though. I personally would skip the embroidery all together. Having them wearing the same leos will unify them. The name could be distracting and take away from the polished look. I think logos and/or names should be reserved for warm ups.

Just my two cents worth :)

We won't have warm-ups......and the JO team's leos all have the gym name embroidered on them, so I feel like we'd be following suit there.

Well. I have no gymnastics experience- so take this with a grain of salt!

Unlike everyone else, I like the names embroidered on the hip. Maybe I'm just clueless, but I don't understand how it is a security risk? And I think the little girls would love having their name on their leo- My daughter (6) loves anything with her name on it!! :tongue_smilie:

Dance mom here, not gym mom.

I don't like the individual name (no resale, no hand-me-down (to friends if not sibs)).

I'm OK with the gym name on the back; not a fan of words on the hip.

Unlike seemingly everyone else, I love the keyhole back. Of course, dance leos, especially solid black ballet leos, are all about the interesting back. Plain tanks look very generic and like you bought it at Target vs. interesting backs which are more upscale. Plus a racerback is less likely to have issues with straps falling down. It's a more athletic fit (more practical from an athletic viewpoint) and a more athletic look, which I appreciate.

Boys outfits are so much less entertaining!

And as a mom of a Level 4 boy, I am oh so happy about that. The coaches at our gym sent out an email about competition wear. I swear, the girls portion of the email was 8-10 paragraphs long detailing hair, shoes, underwear, etc. The boys were told to remember their white socks. :D

Well. I have no gymnastics experience- so take this with a grain of salt!

Unlike everyone else, I like the names embroidered on the hip. Maybe I'm just clueless, but I don't understand how it is a security risk? And I think the little girls would love having their name on their leo- My daughter (6) loves anything with her name on it!! :tongue_smilie:

The security risk is that you are in a crowded venue when anyone can come up and say "Emily! (name taken off of leo) I'm a friend of your mom's and she told me to bring you out to the car to get a special present. . . " or whatever. I don't want strangers to know my younger children's names.

What about undergarments? Competition fit should be tight, and even the littlest on our team are required to wear a one piece liner (like a tank) under their leos. Something like that would show under that keyhole back. And, you need something high-cut for the legs.

Carolyn

We're basically told no undergarments. (I'm sure that changes for kids as they get older.) If undergarments show, there is a deduction.

We're basically told no undergarments. (I'm sure that changes for kids as they get older.) If undergarments show, there is a deduction.

We're also in the no undergarment camp :) That being said, I think I've decided against the keyhole back just for the sake of simplicity.

Undergarments are definitely a pain and I hope our coaches think a little harder next time. Most of our upper squad has developed to the point there is no choice but to wear something underneath and this last style did not allow for one with any support. If they sat down, they risked having the back strap exposed. Luckily if it is a nude colored one, showing is no longer a deduction.

And as a mom of a Level 4 boy, I am oh so happy about that. The coaches at our gym sent out an email about competition wear. I swear, the girls portion of the email was 8-10 paragraphs long detailing hair, shoes, underwear, etc. The boys were told to remember their white socks. :D

Haha! (I can't use smilies, sorry!) We've seen girls at competitions with fake hair in; luckily our gym just wants it out of their face and smooth. Rebecca's braid is her trademark now!

Hair is an issue.

When we got my daughter, her hair was a SUPER short bob due to extreme chronic lice (for example, she missed 42 days of school due to lice...from Sept to Feb). She is DETERMINED that she will have her hair at least down to the top of her thighs. I'm fine with that. But it makes putting her hair up *enough* a bit hard. All the little girls are using pigtails due to their routines. I have been braiding them, but it is still too long. She HATES for us to put the braids into "buns" (they are way too pointy rather than round against head and I don't know how to change it). So I'm thinking that we can probably make it through this season (we start in two weeks!) by just looping the braids up so that the end of her hair is under the scrunchy.

But I would love super long hair styles as we go on.

Of course, after my daughter works through "this," she may well decide she will cut her hair down to a more normal medium or long hair length and it won't matter. But are there any girls with really long hair that go on?

She HATES for us to put the braids into "buns" (they are way too pointy rather than round against head and I don't know how to change it).

To make flatter buns rather than pointy ones, there are a few techniques. First, you could braid the hair then bun it. Not sure if you're already doing that? Second, you can take the hair and divide it into two or more sections. Wind the first, then wind the second around it. This helps a lot for girls with thicker hair. Also, be very sure you are using hairpins and not bobby pins. The Bunheads brand is an excellent choice, but you might want to go with thinner ones until you get better at non-cones, so you can use more. Use a hair pin about every third or quarter as you wind the hair (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock, then round again.) Poke the hairpins in perpendicular to the head, until just before hitting the scalp, then turn them tangent to the head and slide them in. Remember you do not have to wind the hair super-tight - that can cause the cone effect. You can lay it carefully flat, and pin it. A hair net helps too.

There was a thread not too long ago (a month or two?) in which very detailed ballet bun directions were given. Worth looking up. Here you go - http://forums.welltr...ns#entry4534326

• 9 years later...

2 of my kids competed that level the leo is pretty close to what they had but the embroidery is not.  We had Leo's for 2 yrs and often kids who grew or moved upto optionals sold their Leo's so names would mess that up. Team names have usually been on warm ups if anything. Neither of theirs had keyhole backs but they were the same for all not optional and we had older girls competing xcel.

These were my kids bronze leos

Screenshot_20220730-014800_Facebook.jpg

FB_IMG_1659170710551.jpg