Menu

Do you hold a grudge after an argument?

StaceyinLA

I mean with your spouse.

If dh and I argue, and I mean it can be a blow up, yelling match, he can come in 5 minutes later just fine. I stew for a couple of hours. I just can't seem to cool off that quickly.

Am I the only one who can't bounce back that quickly? Please don't let me be the Lone Ranger.

My dh is like yours, quickly over it and ready to be chipper while I still need some space. I wouldn't say I hold a grudge, but I do need some decompression time. We rarely have a serious argument, just disagree from time to time. If we had big passionate fights, we'd probably both need a little heel-cooling time!

I know what you mean. Even though I apologize (or he does), I can't calm down that quickly. I don't believe in that "never go to bed angry" thing. The argument may be over, but I need time to calm down and sometimes that means going to bed with nothing more than a "goodnight" (we still sleep in the same bed though. I can't remember a time when I was that angry). Dh tends to be able to move on quickly. We've been together long enough to understand how each other handles anger and disagreements. He gives me space. I'm gracious when he gets over it waaaayyyy before I do. :)

My ex used to say I filed everything he did wrong away in my "bitch-o-dex" like a rolodex of complaints. Those things were never forgotten. I can forgive, but I never forget. So no grudges per se, but do not make the same mistake twice because you will regret it when I have to list all your previous ways of screwing up kwim. It is pretty similar with others, I may not list everything like I did with my ex, but like with him, I do not hold a grudge, but I do not forget either. I may forgive the person in that moment but I do not forget the action that crossed me in the first place...make sense?

Makes a lot of sense. Forgiving is easy (even if it takes a few hours, or days). Forgetting? That's a whole 'nuther ball game. Thank goodness my dh really doesn't do much that requires forgiving or forgetting. He's really a pretty good guy. Now my first husband - THAT was bad.

I mean with your spouse.

If dh and I argue, and I mean it can be a blow up, yelling match, he can come in 5 minutes later just fine. I stew for a couple of hours. I just can't seem to cool off that quickly.

Am I the only one who can't bounce back that quickly? Please don't let me be the Lone Ranger.

You are not the only one. DH seems to think that leaving the room and returning means that the slate is wiped clean and it's all good. I beg to differ.