Menu

How much $$$ for violin lessons?

My almost 7yo (in April) wants to begin violin lessons. What is a reasonable price to pay for lessons? One place close to us is $46 for 30min (private). The price goes down for groups (4+ is $23) but I don't know that we'll be able to make our schedule work out around what is available for group lessons. How much do you pay? Thanks!

The rate depends on the area (you live in one of the pricier markets) and immensely on the quality of the teacher. I would ask people in your area for teacher recommendations. You can also call any local universities with music programs and ask for teacher referrals. Get quotes from multiple people, but be aware that the cheapest will generally not be the best instruction. You want someone with lots of experience teaching children. One really good good way to find out about quality of instruction is to ask if there are any student recitals coming up that you could attend--you'll get an idea of the kind of results a teachers gets from their students. Whether $46 is a great deal or highway robbery depends on how good the teaching actually is.

We pay $12 per half hour. Our teacher is phenomenal. I told her to never quit teaching.

Wow! It looks like prices vary A LOT! I'm waiting to hear back from a man who gives lessons that played for San Francisco Symphony Orchestra for 18yrs. I'm sure his lessons will be an arm and two legs but I figured I may as well check :lol:

Are you ready to be jealous????? We have a strings program at Wayne State University in Detroit. Students teach a group lesson 2x/week. One hour each time. Two concerts in Orchestra Hall (NICE!!!!). $180/YEAR!!!!! Yes. You read that right. Ds is learning violin quite well for a first year student.

But, I pay $39 for a 45 minute piano lesson for 14 yo ds!!!

If you in a larger town or area - try a graduate student or older homeschooled student. Our 1st violin teacher was a graduate student in viola performance. He was great - $15/half hr. We now are using a 19 yr old homeschooled student; a great teacher and we pay $25/hr. He has studied under a pro violin player. We have studied Suzuki without group lessons.

Are you ready to be jealous????? We have a strings program at Wayne State University in Detroit. Students teach a group lesson 2x/week. One hour each time. Two concerts in Orchestra Hall (NICE!!!!). $180/YEAR!!!!! Yes. You read that right. Ds is learning violin quite well for a first year student.

But, I pay $39 for a 45 minute piano lesson for 14 yo ds!!!

OK....that's not fair! I guess I should check the State University near us too :-)

If you in a larger town or area - try a graduate student or older homeschooled student. Our 1st violin teacher was a graduate student in viola performance. He was great - $15/half hr. We now are using a 19 yr old homeschooled student; a great teacher and we pay $25/hr. He has studied under a pro violin player. We have studied Suzuki without group lessons.

Thanks for the tip!

Our local symphony has a community music school. Cost for beginner Suzuki violin class (30-40min group lesson + 20min private lesson both 1x per week) is $250 per semester. Scholarships are available. Definitely check with local universities and symphonies to see whether they have a music school!

Around here price depends a lot on quality of teacher...though maybe you could find a wonderful teacher who just loves to teach and does it for less.

I've paid anything from $35 for 30 min. to $105 for 90 min/$80 for 60 min (different teachers). Where you live, local economy, and the availability of teachers, competition, are factors as well.