Menu

OHMYDEAR Chili Cheese Tator Tot Casserole

I came up with the recipe today and ohmystars, is it EVER worth the heartburn I'm about to have!

Chili & Cheese Tator Tot Casserole

1 pound ground beef

1 onion, diced

1 can Ro-tel

1 can chili beans

1 T. chili powder

1 t. cumin

1 slice brick chili

1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

A bunch of tator tots

Brown ground beef with onion. Add chili powder, cumin, and one slice of brick chili. Stir in Ro-tel and chili beans til bubbly. Layer chili then cheese in baking dish. Arrange tator tots on top. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until tator tots are golden brown. YUM

Serve with Tums or other antacid. :tongue_smilie:

I have never in my life seen such a product. Interesting. Is it regional?

I had never heard of it until after I got married, then I wondered what in the world Ro*tel was and why people only called it that in recipes. I prefer recipes to use the generic name for something, so I can select my own brand. Usually you know what it is, like Crisco or Miracle Whip, or whatever. But Ro*tel puzzled me for a while until I saw it at the grocery store. It's with the canned tomatoes. You can get store brand versions of it, I think.

I wonder if Rotel is a regional thing. People down here in the South eat it all the time. In fact, there is a dip you make with velveta cheese and hamburger meat (some people like it without) and rotel and it is delicious. If we have a party at work or a pot luck at church, you knew there would be some form of a rotel dip and we always just called it rotel.

I would like to hear more about this brick chili. I might need to investigate.

This is funny. I had a New Jersey friend on Facebook ask about brick chili, too.

LOL

Yes, brick chili is a lump of concentrated chili, in sort of a brick shape. I buy it in the dairy/meat section. (different places in different stores) I live in the Midwest and have bought it here since....well, as long as I can remember. I put a slice in my sloppy joe mixture, too. :D

And the Ro-tel.....ah, I could eat it with a spoon. I put it in my taco meat.

This is funny. I had a New Jersey friend on Facebook ask about brick chili, too.

LOL

Yes, brick chili is a lump of concentrated chili, in sort of a brick shape. I buy it in the dairy/meat section. (different places in different stores) I live in the Midwest and have bought it here since....well, as long as I can remember. I put a slice in my sloppy joe mixture, too. :D

And the Ro-tel.....ah, I could eat it with a spoon. I put it in my taco meat.

So for the chili brick, if I were to find it, does it come sliced, or how thick of a slice needs to be used in the tater tot recipe you posted?

So for the chili brick, if I were to find it, does it come sliced, or how thick of a slice needs to be used in the tater tot recipe you posted?

It doesn't come sliced. It comes in one big brick. I USUALLY slice it before I freeze it. One 16 ounce brick yields about 6 or so slices, so it flavours 6 meals. I store it in the freezer in a ziploc bag.

Of course, last time I bought it I put it in the freezer without slicing it so dh and I got to darn-near slice a finger off today trying to wrestle a frozen brick.

It was worth it, though and we still have all digits intact. SCORE! :D

Brick... chili...

Chili to me is a stew of beans and meat.

Chile is what we call peppers around here.

So... how does a chili come in a brick??? I even googled, but couldn't find a picture of what it is exactly.

Think Sculpey or clay, but chili.....in a block/brick.

Ro-tel is a can with diced tomatoes and green chilis in it. YUM!

I've never heard of Brick Chili, but the idea frightens me!

I don't think Ro*tel is a regional thing. We've lived all over the US (literally coast to coast and several states in between) and I've never NOT seen Ro*tel at the store. It's usually with the the canned tomatoes, but there is nothing quite like Ro*tel. It is not just tomatoes, it's got chilis and spices in it. I'm surprised some of you have never heard of it! I thought everyone in the US had eaten Ro*tel cheese dip. :D It's so not good for you, but so wickedly yummy. I try not to think what's in it (Velveeta-ick).

Oh, and my cousin makes this exact same recipe, but without the brick chili. She uses ground turkey (or I wouldn't eat it) and it is yummy. Again, I can't think of what's in it or I might faint. My arteries harden at the thought.

Here's a chili brick. It's chili. Frozen into a brick. Around here, you can get it from butchers. I've never looked to see if it's at the grocery store, as I have never used it.

This is Ro*tel. It's just a brand name for canned, diced tomatoes with chilis. I've seen it from IL to CA.

No. way. Really?

They freeze chili into a brick? Why?

Edited by Sputterduck

Sounds delicious! Of course, anything with tator tots, chili, and cheese gets my vote. I know some restaurants sell tator tots or french fries covered with chili and cheese. Both are very good!

I use to make a casserole years ago that was tator tots, ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, greenbeans, and covered with cheese. It was good and a simple meal to throw together.

I guess I'm dense because it already sounds like chili without the chili brick. You have meat, chili beans, chili seasoning. Why the chili brick? Could I make my own chili brick? I think I like saying chili brick. :tongue_smilie:

I guess I make chili brick all the time, I am always freezing chili. I had no idea stores sold it

From what I've read about it, a chili brick is concentrated chili, frozen into a brick. It may be stored in a refrigerated section of the grocery store, and you can slice it before putting it in your freezer at home. So it's not just frozen chili. If you thawed frozen chili, you'd have a mess on a plate, not a sliceable brick.

I was reading this recipe outloud in the car yesterday to my family, and we were laughing out loud at the serving suggestion. Cute!

By the way, OP, my husband says he wants to marry you and your casserole. He's a tater tot boy through and through. He also suggested I submit the recipe for inclusion in the church recipe book, with your consent and full credit, of course! The only reason I wouldn't do that is because that darn chili brick will trip up all the locals here, and then they'd be calling me looking for an explanation. Chili bricks sound like a genius invention to me (they stack, right?)

I was reading this recipe outloud in the car yesterday to my family, and we were laughing out loud at the serving suggestion. Cute!

By the way, OP, my husband says he wants to marry you and your casserole. He's a tater tot boy through and through. He also suggested I submit the recipe for inclusion in the church recipe book, with your consent and full credit, of course! The only reason I wouldn't do that is because that darn chili brick will trip up all the locals here, and then they'd be calling me looking for an explanation. Chili bricks sound like a genius invention to me (they stack, right?)

Yep, they stack. You can include the recipe. How about we add, "our your favourite chili recipe". I'll PM you my name. As far as your husband's proposal......it has nothin' to do with milkshakes,.....

"My Casserole brings all the boys to the yard....." :lol:

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl