Menu

taco bar???

Dd wants a taco bar for her birthday party. Can I cook the meat ahead of time and put it in the crockpot so I can enjoy my guests?

I'm planning:

hard and soft taco shells

shredded cheese

shredded lettuce

salsa

sour cream

avocado (if I can find some that are not hard as bricks)

chopped onion

Anything else come to mind? I'm toying with refried beans and/or rice. But, I want things pre-prepared so I can spend time in the pool with our friends. Bean dip? Anyone have an easy recipe?

I'll have various sodas, iced tea, water, cake and ice cream of course. What am I missing??

My neighbor in Hawaii and I hosted a big party a while back with a taco bar.

We did everything ahead of time and used a bunch of crockpots to keep everything warm. We did shredded beef, using pot roasts. I put two of them in my crockpot, they cooked all day, we shredded them and added seasoning. I did boneless chicken thighs in another crockpot with verde sauce and shredded it after it was done cooking. I made the beans and Mexican rice ahead of time and kept them warm in the crockpot. I used 2 tortilla warmers, rotating them in the oven to keep them warm.

It all worked out really well.

We did a taco bar at my son's graduation and my Creative Memories consultant does them frequently at crops. I would add a thought that many folks are not eating carbs, but will instead make a salad out of the taco meat. ( guilty) Just be sure to have lots of lettuce and sometimes folks use more than you had planned on.

We did this for my son's birthday last year. We used the crockpot for the meat, and put a bowl of sour cream in a larger bowl filled with ice. The only topping I would add to your list is tomato. We also served refried beans baked with cheese and onions on top as a side, along with some Mexican rice and jalapeno cheddar corn muffins. Many of the adults went the taco salad route, so make sure you have enough lettuce. For dessert dh did some churros in the deep fryer, along with birthday cake.

Absolutely, you can make the meat ahead of time. You can make it the day before. It can even be frozen. Just add some extra water if it starts to dry out.

Other nice additions:

+ Chopped tomato

+ Black beans (just open can, drain/discard about half the juice, dump rest into small pan, toss in some salsa, simmer for 10 min)

+ "roasted" corn. Just toss a can of corn kernels (drained) into a skillet with some butter, saute for a few minutes, toss in a spoonful of salsa, saute for another few minutes. Serve warm or cool. Mmmmm.

+ Guacamole. Mmmmm.

I just did this tonight for my dd's sleep over party. I added refried beans from a can since my dd is a vegetarian. I also had chopped tomatoes and guac. The guac. was a big hit. No onion, but these were middle schoolers.

Have fun!

I do have a great recipe for fresh corn and black bean salsa. I could make that up ahead of time too

Great tip on the extra lettuce. One of our guests is diabetic, so I better have some extra lettuce and protein (cheese and meat) on hand.

We frequently have taco parties for large gatherings because it is so easy to maintain during the party.

Our roaster has an insert with 3 warming trays and that is what we use to keep the beef, refried beans and tortillas warm, we put water in the bottom of the roasting pan.

I agree on having a large amount of lettuce available as a number of people do end up making salads.

Just to clarify....;)

Do you all pre-cook the meat with seasonings etc.... & then just keep it warm in the crockpot?

If I make shredded beef I cook it in the crock pot. If ground beef I cook it on the stove and then keep it warm in the crock.

Dd wants a taco bar for her birthday party. Can I cook the meat ahead of time and put it in the crockpot so I can enjoy my guests?

I'm planning:

hard and soft taco shells

shredded cheese

shredded lettuce

salsa

sour cream

avocado (if I can find some that are not hard as bricks)

chopped onion

Anything else come to mind? I'm toying with refried beans and/or rice. But, I want things pre-prepared so I can spend time in the pool with our friends. Bean dip? Anyone have an easy recipe?

I'll have various sodas, iced tea, water, cake and ice cream of course. What am I missing??

When you say "taco shells," are you meaning actual corn or flour tortillas, or those pre-made crispy thingies like you get at Taco Bell?

If I were doing this, I might use flat tostada shells instead of crispy taco shells, simply b/c I find the crispy shells difficult to fill. With a buffet, people might be slowed down trying to fill the crispy shells. I always have refried beans for tostadas - they are the "glue" that holds the meat on! ;)