Menu

Abbreviation Sticky

admin

I am not a newbie (homeschooling for about 17 years or so by the grace of God) but I need this list. I'm not here regularly but when I am, I need to have the list next to me because I've usually forgotten what few abbreviations I understood thE last time I was here.

Thank you!!!

Edited by afruitfulbranch
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I thought I saw people talking about MCT math, but maybe they were talking about two things at the same time and I got confused.

Easy to get confused with all the abbreviations floating around! :) Let me know if you find out that there is a math-oriented homeschool definition for MCT - sometimes the same abbreviations are used for more than one thing.

• 4 weeks later...
What is MEP? What about WWE?

From my abbreviations page (link below):

MEP "Mathematics Enhancement Programme," a free British math curriculum

WWE "Writing with Ease," Susan Wise Bauer's writing-instruction series designed for elementary-aged writers and older students who still struggle; published by Peace Hill Press

Hope this helps!

This is odd -- I got notification for Marie's reply but not for UndercoverPrincess's question. It looks like my link was out-of-date, so I fixed that; thanks Marie!

You're welcome :)!

I think I know what happened! It's happened to me also. You got notification of morosophe's post and replied to it but missed UndercoverPrincess's because it was at the top of the following page. Even though you posted directly under hers, if you didn't scroll up, it is easy to miss.

You're welcome :)!

I think I know what happened! It's happened to me also. You got notification of morosophe's post and replied to it but missed UndercoverPrincess's because it was at the top of the following page. Even though you posted directly under hers, if you didn't scroll up, it is easy to miss.

Ah! I think that's happened to me another time too. I wish we could set an option to get notified for all posts, whether we follow the link in the notification or not. Just FEI (for everyone's information -- I made that up ;)), I can also be reached through the mail link on my abbreviations page.

Thanks for solving the mystery, Marie! :hurray:

Ah! I think that's happened to me another time too. I wish we could set an option to get notified for all posts, whether we follow the link in the notification or not. Just FEI (for everyone's information -- I made that up ;)), I can also be reached through the mail link on my abbreviations page.

Thanks for solving the mystery, Marie! :hurray:

:D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't decipher EE which is being used in a Geography post. From your great list, I saw EA is Exploring America. Is EE maybe Exploring Europe?

Thanks for this thread and the compilation of abbreviations! It's so helpful!

EE is Expedition Earth from the blog Confessions of a Homeschooler (COAH).

The abbreviations annoy me as well. I've homeschooled for 8 years and have used a plethora of popular curriculums but still struggle with identifying every acronym. When I use abbreviations I try to spell them out first to eliminate any confusion. There are way too many new systems popping up each and everyday to abbreviate them all and expect people to know what they are. LOL

So I know and use Writing with Ease but what is WWS?

I will need something beyond WWE 3 next year. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest b_gr8now

i am new here and the link for list of abv. is not working... i am completely lost trying to read any posts not knowing 'what' people are referring to...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

But I don't get how it's used here...

It just means that you may not get the same results as the poster did. Originally it is from car sales ads or stickers and they meant it literally to avoid lawsuits when consumers didn't get the same mileage as was touted in the commercials.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is my abbreviation page:

http://whythereyouare.com/homeschool/homeschool_abbreviations.htm 

but it is slowly getting out-of-date, because I am no longer getting email notifications when someone replies to this topic.  :-(

If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it.  I get email notifications for other things (such as when someone likes a post of mine), but I haven't gotten notified when some replies to a topic I am following since the new forums were created, even though I am "following" all the abbreviation topics, and I have notification set to get immediate emails when someone posts to topics I'm following.  It makes me really sad because I put in a lot of work on the page and had a lot of help doing it, but now it is suffering from dry rot. 

If you have any abbreviations that you'd like me to add to my page, please use the "contact me" link on that page.

Thanks,

Debbie D.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

In this post http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/68058-to-all-you-people-with-8th-graders-or-there-abouts/?hl=%2Bmodg&do=findComment&comment=664607    and others...

MODG..?

GRIN...?

See it frequently and have searched here and on Debbie's page with no luck. (am emailing you Debbie  :001_smile:  )

But anyone else know?

Um...help! :001_huh: