Menu

Abbreviation Sticky

admin

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got stumped by "FM of Modern Times" today. Turns out "FM" was short for "Famous Men," which I may have been able to put together if it had been "FM of Rome" (one of the original John Haaren titles).

I have no idea who you would call the publisher for this series, since the original books have long been in public domain and are reprinted by loads of people. Greenleaf Guides and Memoria Press (at the least) each put out their own versions of newer "Famous Men" titles. It's kind of a mess.

But you may still want to add this, since I know it's a fairly popular resource.

I got stumped by "FM of Modern Times" today. Turns out "FM" was short for "Famous Men," which I may have been able to put together if it had been "FM of Rome" (one of the original John Haaren titles).

I have no idea who you would call the publisher for this series, since the original books have long been in public domain and are reprinted by loads of people. Greenleaf Guides and Memoria Press (at the least) each put out their own versions of newer "Famous Men" titles. It's kind of a mess.

But you may still want to add this, since I know it's a fairly popular resource.

Here's how I worded it:

"Famous Men" of [Greece, Rome, the Middle Ages, Modern Times], written by John H. Haaren and A. B. Polan. This series is in the public domain and is available through various publishers such as
, and

Thank you!

What is full form of FLL and WWE ?

FLL = "First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind," written by Jessie Wise, published by Peace Hill Press

WWE = "Writing with Ease," Susan Wise Bauer's writing-instruction series designed for elementary-aged writers and older students who still struggle; published by Peace Hill Press

See my sig below for the link to my abbreviations page. Happy (abbreviation) hunting!

• 2 weeks later...

The last time that I had to move my website, I promised myself that next time I would get my own domain name! Well, that time has arrived. Here is the new (and hopefully last!) address for my abbreviations list: Homeschool Abbreviations with Links.

Please update your booksmarks/links and visit the new page so that it will move up in the searches to where the old page was.

Thanks!

I have to admit, the abbreviations are annoying me now. I'm not a "newbie" to homeschooling, I'm into our 2nd year... I can't even count the number of hours I've spent researching over the past 2 years, and the one thing that slows me down is the abbreviations. You only 'get' an abbreviation if you are already using that program, or know about it. So how about helping out and giving us a few more letters....

I have to admit, the abbreviations are annoying me now. I'm not a "newbie" to homeschooling, I'm into our 2nd year... I can't even count the number of hours I've spent researching over the past 2 years, and the one thing that slows me down is the abbreviations. You only 'get' an abbreviation if you are already using that program, or know about it. So how about helping out and giving us a few more letters....

I can definitely empathize! In my own writing, I *try* to use the full name at least once and then switch to abbreviations (sort of like using pronouns). Over time, though, I think people in a group can get out of that habit since "everyone" knows what they mean. I'm just trying to fill in the gap. ;)

;2995245']I've been homeschooling a while and still get stumped by abbreviations sometimes! Adding the links is very helpful' date=' too. (Just FYI- www.alabacus.com is the link for RightStart Math.)

You are most welcome, and thank you for the link, which I have added!

I forgot to mention in my reply to Wendy that I am happy to add links for curiculum that don't have abbreviations. I got to thinking that the links might be encouraging an unnecessary proliferation of abbreviations. ;)

Oh, thank you! I agree with everyone, the abbreviations ARE tricky. I feel like I'm talking to military folks- everything is alphabet soup!

(husband was Navy... so I'm used to the soup. :D )

You are most welcome!

(Sorry I didn't think to do a multi-quote reply instead of 3 replies until it was too late :blush:)

Guest leelika08
You're right!

IRL -- In Real Life

ISP -- Internet Service Provider

ISTM – It seems to me

ITA! -- I Totally Agree!

ITRW—In The Real World

JK -- Just Kidding

JMHO -- Just My Humble Opinion

KWIM—Know What I Mean

LOL -- Lots of Laughs or Laughing Out Loud

LSHTRDMF—Laughing so hard tears rolling down my face

LSNED—Learn Something New Every Day

MIL – Mother-in-Law

NACTL – Not a Clue to Life

NAK – Nursing at Keyboard

NARS – Not A Rocket Scientist

NM—No Message

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi Jason! I see that Marie has already answered your question, but I also wanted to let you know about my homeschool abbreviations list, which I update regularly based on feedback from the hive: Homeschool Abbreviations

I was just about to write up a new thread about how confused I am with all the abbreviations people throw around. As a new homeschooler, this list is awesome! :hurray: