Menu

Local tragedy with ties to my family and homeschool......sensitive,involves violence

This family lives, literally, across the street from one of my client families.

http://www.wlos.com/template/inews_wire/wires.national/33b75b4e-www.wlos.com.shtml

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090429_mh_katy-father-shot.2ca926f.html

My student was friends with the girl. I talked to the now dead Dad a week or so ago about homeschooling (he was considering homeschooling her next year).

My kids are "off" but my student is *really* upset; understandably so. Her mom got her an appointment with their Pastor today.

This is the second unfathomable violent event my kids have personal connection with in 6 months. How do you explain the unexplainable? (Advice welcome, but it wasn't really a plea for one because there is no real answer).

My first thought, was that he may have abused the girl in that very bedroom. Hate to say/write that, but that is what popped in my mind. I suppose the truth will come out as to why she did it.

As for other kids who are affected by this, I can totally understand not knowing what to say! :confused:

I'm so sorry this happened and that kids need to digest it :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My first thought, was that he may have abused the girl in that very bedroom. Hate to say/write that, but that is what popped in my mind. I suppose the truth will come out as to why she did it.

As for other kids who are affected by this, I can totally understand not knowing what to say! :confused:

I'm so sorry this happened and that kids need to digest it :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree:

As tragic as this is, I have to say that this was the first thought that came to my mind. I feel horrible even thinking this about someone who can't defend himself, but unfortunately it's where my mind went.

Things like this are hard enough for adults to digest. Trying to explain it to kids, trying to make sense out of the senseless, is near to impossible.

:grouphug: and prayers.

That was my first thought as well. I hope the police can get to the bottom of this.

:grouphug: To you, and your kids and your student Joanne.

I would not go so far as to say that his reputation was destroyed. No one here is saying that this is what happened, but that this is the first thing they thought of. Teen girls do not fit the profile of violent offenders. Unfortunately, there are troubled teens who do commit acts of terrrible violence, AND, unfortunately, there are fathers, who appear to be absolutely wonderful people to the outside world, but commit unspeakable crimes within their own families.

Time may give a clearer picture of what happened, or we may never know.

Wow, I'm so sorry Joanne. That's just horrible.

But I must add; I read the first link, then I read the posts about people wondering if there was abuse. I figured there must be some mention of alleged/possible abuse in the second link, so I read that, too. There isn't.

I'm not trying to judge those who thought that, but I just see it completly differently. What if the girl had 'issues'. Like drugs, or emotional issues, or a million other things. What if THAT was why dad wanted to homeschool her, and also possibly what drove her to do what she did.

That was my first thought; not that dad must have s*xually abused her.

Just my $.02

Wow, I'm so sorry Joanne. That's just horrible.

But I must add; I read the first link, then I read the posts about people wondering if there was abuse. I figured there must be some mention of alleged/possible abuse in the second link, so I read that, too. There isn't.

I'm not trying to judge those who thought that, but I just see it completly differently. What if the girl had 'issues'. Like drugs, or emotional issues, or a million other things. What if THAT was why dad wanted to homeschool her, and also possibly what drove her to do what she did.

That was my first thought; not that dad must have s*xually abused her.

Just my $.02

Yes, I'm pondering all of those scenarios... A friend is quoted as saying there was "tension" between the two? How "tense" would you have to be to shoot someone? In the head. While they were sleeping. :confused: There would have to be a pretty darn extreme situation going on, in my mind, either on his part or hers.

Joanne - I just have no words. You and yours and your community will be in my thoughts as well.

I agree with SpecialMama. The child wasn't even a teen. For a 12 yr old to do what she did...there had to be something seriously, seriously wrong. Perhaps she's gravely mentally ill? Or perhaps she was gravely abused...unfortunately, I can't think of another alternative.

I have seen seriously disturbed 12 yr olds. Ask me about the 12 yr old student I had that harassed me in my home and vandalized the area. MOst people thought he was just darling. Abuse is one possibility. Drugs and gangs are another at that age (and it may not be visable). Depression. Other problems. I remember a case not too long ago where a couple of young preteens abused a family member because she didn't allow them to go to a ball game they wanted to attend. We just don't know. Either way it is so tragic and awful, for all involved.

Edited by Dobela
spelling/grammar

A couple months back the local news was covering the 11 yo boy who fatally shot his father's 8 month pregnant girlfriend. All I read was that he was jealous of the new baby and her taking time away from him and dad. So he killed her with *his* hunting rifle. Then he went off to school like nothing happened. The woman's 4 yo dd found her. When the news recaps the story I still can't wrap my brain around it.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/18765607/detail.html

Things are never as they seem on the outside. It is no telling what happened inside her mind....or inside her home. The girl could have been mad that he wouldn't let her go to a party with friends...or there could have been abuse. You just never know. It will come out though. Kids are scaring me these days...they are shooting parents and such at much younger ages - 8 and 12. Man, I wasn't even MAD at my parents until I was a rebellious 17 year old and then I would have still never even thought of harming them. :(

I'm not saying this is the same situation, but I'm reading this book right now.

http://www.acriminalinjustice.com/

If we had read the news articles after this crime, we would have thought that this teenager killed both his parents.

The truth is that he was completely set up by lazy and dishonest detectives.

Things are not always as they seem.

I don't think any of us was passing judgement on the father; we were just mentioning the first thing that came to our minds. Of course, there are other possibilities, but I would think that whatever the reason, it had to be pretty extreme and urgent for that girl to have done what she did.

Whatever the reason, a man is dead, a young girl's life will be forever impacted by her actions, and a family is facing horrific tragedy.

Cat