Menu

Just found out I'm pre-diabetic and need advice

Still trying to pick myself up from the floor here. I have a physical in two weeks and had to have some blood work done beforehand, which is how I found out I'm pre-diabetic. I crave sugar and had been feeling the urge to pee a lot, so I'm not totally surprised here b/c these are signs of diabetes. As someone who could always eat whatever she wanted b/c she was a skinny minnie, I've been freaked out over the past year that my weight has escalated so much. I also barely exercise. Anyway, I'm wondering how I can manage this health issue and get myself in shape so I can avoid full-on diabetes. And as a carboholic, what the heck CAN I eat? I love pasta, homebaked goodies, smoothies, and bread. I can no longer eat these things, right? I also need some good books to read up on. Any advice would be appreciated.

My favorite resource is Life Without Bread by Allen and Lutz. But don't let the name frighten you, you can eat bread . . . only in limited amounts. It's a moderate-carb program, not as extreme as the induction phase of Atkins, but "gentler". But enough that I think you will be impressed with the difference in the way you feel. And believe it or not, when you're eating enough healthy fats, those carb and sugar cravings really subside! Being a total carboholic myself, I didn't believe that when I first read it, but I discovered from experience that it was true (I changed my diet when my dear grandmother died of diabetes). So don't worry too much, you're not going to have to completely give up the foods you love, but you are going to have to limit your intake of them, and balance out your diet with more protein and fat. It's hard at first, but worth it! Once your body starts to realize what it feels like to have a healthier diet, things fall into place much more naturally. So don't worry too much, you can do this!

Yes you can still eat pasta and all that sort of thing. You just have to be sensible with your portions and quality. A whole foods based mostly vegan diet is recommended by numerous sources. The China Study being one and Defeating Diabetes by Brenda Davis. Get used to legumes :D They provide carbs and protein in more diabetic friendly ways than meat and grains do. Learn about the GI index. I got caught out by cooked carrot when I was diabetic. GretaLynne is right, once you get started, it's much easier to keep going. It's as though your body says "Ah ha! Well, now you've decided to be sensible, I'll start talking to you again!" Then you find you feel like eating salad.

Rosie

You might find it interesting to read The Glycemic Load Diet by Rob Thompson. He has done a lot of research into starchy carbohydrates and why they are not good for people with diabetic tendencies. My sister and I are both prone to diabetes and find his approach logical. There are also lots of diabetic cookbooks which have some delicious recipes in them.

Take the diabetic vitamin packs from Nature Made. They sell them at Costco. As for craving sugar and carbs, I feel your pain. I don't know how to stop loving sweets but eat more protein.

Rosie was right. I rarely eat vegetables but when I do, I think to myself, "Why don't I eat this more often? It tastes really good."

Exercise feels good, too. Exercise as an adult isn't the same as dreaded PE class. Join a gym and just do a little at time.

The guy at our local snow-cone shack even started making a new flavor for me (well not just for me....) using agave nectar to sweeten it. Imagine a snow cone without artificial sweeteners that has a glycemic index less than one!

I'm also pre-diabetic. I CAN eat sugar--but I WILL be sick if I do!

If I need a special treat I mix agave nectar with cream cheese (1/3 less fat kind as the fat-free has sugar added) and a bit of Cool Whip. I add in a touch of vanilla and sometimes cinnamon... YUM.... low glycemic index and a spoonful is a great treat when my family decides to have ice cream...

I stay far away from artificial sweeteners--I've had terrible reactions to them--especially aspartame. Splenda gives me an immediate migraine.

I'm learning to use portion control and up the veggies.

((((HUGS)))) I feel so bad for you right now! I know you can do it. Pre-diabetic is a scary, scary word, but you're doing the right thing and getting information so you can control it. I'm sure your doctor would also have a diabetes educator that he/she could refer you to for more information. More ((((HUGS))))

I am sure your doctor will have a lot more advice for you (and specific to YOU) but 2 things are important:

1. Portion control---small amounts of carbs and higher on the proteins and low carbs like veggies.

2. Moderate Exercise--walking is the exercise they mention the most at the class my dh took. Even 15-20 minutes a day would be a big help.

Try Leslie Sansone DVDs for indoor walking, letting the kids ride their bikes while you walk, have them walk with you, find a walking buddy, etc.

I'm wondering how I can manage this health issue and get myself in shape

vitamin d, it seems, plays a significant role in warding off type II diabetes. You can find the data at vitamindcouncil.org

Current evidence is supporting 1,000 IU per 25-30 lbs body weight.

Katherine

Dh is also pre-diabetic. He has avoided medication and brought his blood sugar down to the normal range through regular exercise (he's a jogger) and a low-carb diet. It took about 9 months for his blood sugar to stabilize--for awhile his numbers were up and down and didn't seem connected to what he ate. He also dropped about 20 lbs this way, which also helps with blood sugar. For treats he'll have an Atkins Advantage bar or unsweetened whipped cream and fruit.

Another thing dh did was get a kit at the drugstore and check his blood sugar a lot in the beginning to see how different foods affected it--coffee, diet soda, Atkins bars, etc.

Cinder

As far as carbs are concerned, you need to eat them still wrapped in their own fiber. In other words, shun processed foods. If your used to eating white flour pasta try Barilla Plus pasta, most people can't tell the difference. Stevia is excellent to replace white sugar. There are wonderful recipes in the South Beach Diet book. My husband loves their mashed potato (replacement) recipe that uses cauliflower instead. He doesn't usually like cooked cauliflower, but these are good. All the recipes are developed by top notch chefs from the South Beach restaurants and are quite delicious.

Geo

Check out the herb gymnema. I put my mother on it recently- she is pre-diabetic with all the symptoms, including pain in her feet. She was getting quite uncomfortable with the symptoms. Within 3 days of taking gymnema the symptoms all vanished.

Its not a cure all, you still have to take care of your diet, and exercise, but it can really make a difference to your blood sugar levels. it is available here in health food stores.

Go to the library or a big cooking store and look through the cookbooks for diabetics and bring home the one that most closely matches the way you eat now (meat or Italian or Polish or whatever). That is a good place to start. Radical changes wear off and most people don't stick to them. Slow and steady is the best way to change your eating habits.

Wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to respond. I have calmed down somewhat and feel that this diagnosis is a good wake up call for me to take better care of myself. I loaded up with a few books from the library and will be spending the weekend reading through all of them. I read that half of the people with diabetes don't even know they have it. That would have been me, b/c my Dr. hadn't requested a glucose test for me. I requested it myself b/c I wanted to be sure it wasn't elevated. Diabetes runs in my family and I also was borderline as a young adult. While the news was shocking, I'm very glad to know so that I can make the necessary lifestyle changes to reverse this. And since I'm the cook, my family is about to see some drastic changes in their diet as well. Thanks again and blessings to all of you.

broken record here;)

another data point for D supplementation and lowering blood sugar. There is excl data to support it....and here's a great blog discussing it. As s/he (the author of the blog) says, the relationship is a strong one.....as in take vitamin D and watch blood sugar go down that day.

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/10/vitamin-d-lowers-insuiln-resistance.html

My fave vitamin d is Carlson D drops....2,000 IU vitamin D in *one* tastesless drop.

I get it at iherb.com

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Ddrops-Vitamin-D-2000-IU-11-ml/10364?at=1

I used to be that skinny minnie too but years and kids changed things along the way. Right now I'm about 10 lbs over my ideal weight but I can feel the weight and what it does to me. My blood pressure was creeping up too. When I weighed more I joined Weight Watchers and I'm back and intend on attending meetings from now on.

One thing I've found about WW'ers is that it isn't for hugely obese people. There are a lot of people that attend the meetings that are at ideal weight and in a maintenance pattern. WW'ers meetings are all about motivating the members to make balanced food choices. They won't tell you that you can't eat carbs etc. but they will teach you how to limit the carbs and replace them will other food choices. There are no foods that are off limits but the encouragement is to eat a certain amount of the food groups and limit those amounts. They also teach how to take time to assess hunger signs and to know when you are really hungry. They also teach about how to get moving with exercise. Even if you don't have much to lose, it might be very helpful for you to check out a meeting, talk to a meeting facilitator and explain your situation. Nobody is judgemental. Being in a weekly meeting with people who become your friends and want you to succeed is a great thing! :)

Edited by 2cents

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had my physical this morning and found out that I'm actually NOT pre-diabetic. My doctor ordered another fasting glucose and the A1C test which is a better indicator of blood glucose levels. My fasting glucose was totally normal and My A1C was 5.3 which is also totally normal. Yippee!!!! (My first fasting glucose must have been in the higher range due to skipping dinner and eating a bowl of strawberry ice-cream the night before.) I'm still sticking to my healthier way of eating and my daily exercise with my Wii Fit b/c this incident has scared me into changing my poor eating/exercise habits. Today was the first day I had dessert in almost two weeks. I no longer crave sugar and instead of eating chips, I eat nuts, berries, and fruit. I honestly never knew how sweet raisins and pears are until I stopped consuming so much refined sugar. I no longer slather butter on my toast and I'm eating whole foods too. I'm also not having seconds or eating the kids' stuff that they leave on their plates. I've lost 5 lbs in less than two weeks. Just wanted to update all of you on my good news. If you're a sugar junkie, beware!!!! Diabetes is lurking even if you don't realize it. Start changing your poor eating habits today!!

Well I had my physical this morning and found out that I'm actually NOT pre-diabetic. My doctor ordered another fasting glucose and the A1C test which is a better indicator of blood glucose levels. My fasting glucose was totally normal and My A1C was 5.3 which is also totally normal. Yippee!!!! (My first fasting glucose must have been in the higher range due to skipping dinner and eating a bowl of strawberry ice-cream the night before.) I'm still sticking to my healthier way of eating and my daily exercise with my Wii Fit b/c this incident has scared me into changing my poor eating/exercise habits. Today was the first day I had dessert in almost two weeks. I no longer crave sugar and instead of eating chips, I eat nuts, berries, and fruit. I honestly never knew how sweet raisins and pears are until I stopped consuming so much refined sugar. I no longer slather butter on my toast and I'm eating whole foods too. I'm also not having seconds or eating the kids' stuff that they leave on their plates. I've lost 5 lbs in less than two weeks. Just wanted to update all of you on my good news. If you're a sugar junkie, beware!!!! Diabetes is lurking even if you don't realize it. Start changing your poor eating habits today!!

Good for you! Thanks for the update.

Well I had my physical this morning and found out that I'm actually NOT pre-diabetic. My doctor ordered another fasting glucose and the A1C test which is a better indicator of blood glucose levels. My fasting glucose was totally normal and My A1C was 5.3 which is also totally normal. Yippee!!!!

I'm happy your A1C went down! I'm diagnosed as "Pre-diabetic" due to my family history of Type II Diabetes -- and my A1C tests. 3 months ago, my A1C was a 6.2 and last week's A1C came back at 5.7 -- but I still have to take my Metformin pill daily.

Keep up your exercise and skip sugary treats like colas, candy, and donuts/cakes/etc. It's good to keep in mind to eat like a "circle" -- my dietician says to make 1/2 of the "circle" (plate) veggies/salad, 1/4 carbs, and 1/4 protein. If you have a setback and feel tired, sleepy, confused... drink lots of water and check your blood sugar. If your glucose count is more than a 50 point difference... you need to either call your doc or self treat with adjusting diet.

Since you have a family history... do the A1C once a year and keep up on the diet and exercise. If you can get a result below a 5.0 -- that would be ideal.

I am hypoglycemic so I can give some advice. But definitely discuss things with your doctor! One thing I have learned is to balance those carbs with protein. It's not that you can't eat carbs, you just have to be cautious about HOW MUCH you eat. I know this is difficult, I love carbs, too! But think about how healthy you want to be for your kids. LOTS of high fiber foods (leafy greens and such) and good amounts of lean protein. HTH!

I'm happy your A1C went down!

Since you have a family history... do the A1C once a year and keep up on the diet and exercise. If you can get a result below a 5.0 -- that would be ideal.

Actually, it was my fasting glucose that went down. It registered in the pre-diabetic range a couple of weeks ago. My doctor, however, was not overly concerned at all. A few years ago, that glucose test would have been normal too, but apparently they've lowered the range for what's considered "normal" glucose levels. Anyway, my doctor ordered another fasting glucose and the A1C (which was the first and only A1C I've ever had) just to make sure I wasn't pre-diabetic. He's very pleased with my numbers and didn't even recommend that I buy one of those glucose readers for testing blood sugar at home. Why? B/C I'm not pre-diabetic. Nevertheless, I *do* have a family history and if my fasting glucose was on the high end once, it could easily happen again. And since I know that the A1C can go as low as 4, my goal is to improve my diet and improve my A1C. Clearly, I'm one of those people who has a better chance of not getting this disease since I'm already aware of my numbers and since I'm making the necessary lifestyle changes to improve my health. I recommend that everyone have these tests. Apparently half of the people with pre-diabetes don't even know it. Scary!

Edited by BizyPenguin