Menu

The Passion of the Christ. How young is too young to watch?

I know it depends on the sensitivity of the child watching, but I'd like to hear your experiences.

I am trying to decide how and what, specifically, to discuss with my ten year old before we watch this week, or whether to leave him out completely (which I'd really prefer not to do).

I have to admit, I have not watched it. My oldest son has it and has watched it(he is 40) but by his discriptions I don't feel I would be able to get through it.

I don't plan on it being available for my two youngest until in their teens if they so desire then.

I watched it and there was only one part where I honestly just could not even look *the part where they are beating him with those things that rip away skin when they are pulled back.* I did a lot of crying and it was hard to watch, but I am glad I did.

I really considered letting my almost 10 year old watch...then I remembered that it is all in subtitles. I am not sure he can read the subtitles, comprehend what they say, and watch the movie and get what he needs to from it all at the same time at the age of 9. I am going to wait until he is around 12 or 13, but, at some point, I do want him to see it.

My kids have all watched some form of horror/ graphic violence for the last several years, but have not let them watch this yet. I might let oldest watch it around 17 or so.

My over-sensitive 11yo: no way.

spoiler: [highlight]

The scene that was toughest for me was the Mom Scene: where Mary sees Jesus fall and runs to help Him, w/ flashbacks of Him falling as a small child and picking Him up in her arms. Only this time she can't get to Him to comfort Him.

I have a 10yo and there is no way I would let him watch this movie. My 15yo has not even seen it yet. I would wait until they are older teens for sure. It was definitely hard to watch and I was disturbed for a long time afterward (and I'm 45).

Thank you all for your input.

My teen has ordered the film from Netflix. He wants very much to watch it this week. We'll look up information regarding the controversy, discuss the level of violence that is portrayed and decide together whether we'll watch.

My husband does not want to see it, so he and our younger son can do something else during those hours if we decide to see it.

I guess I am very different here, but I let my 5 year old watch it, and she had no problems whatsoever. We are very familiar with the story of Christ's crucifixion and IMO, it is supposed to disturb us. It should show us the depth of pain and agony Christ went to because of our sin. I guess as a parent, I feel that only the sensitivity of the children should be taken into consideration. And yet, I feel that the harsh reality of pain and death should not be hidden from children completely. It is a fact of life. Many children in many parts of the world have to face violence and death on a regular basis. So in teaching history, I freely discuss war, death, pain, etc. with my children. Someday, they may have to face it, and if we have helped them sort through it with us by their side in a safe situation (for instance, a movie), then if they are forced to deal with it because of a tragedy, they are better able to cope. The movie is not advocating violence or evil, nor is it unnecessarily highlighting it, so I feel it is suitable for (most) children. Granted, the story of Christ's passion is so central to our family's faith, that I feel the brutal yet glorious truth of it is important to pass on to all, young and old.

I know it depends on the sensitivity of the child watching, but I'd like to hear your experiences.

I am trying to decide how and what, specifically, to discuss with my ten year old before we watch this week, or whether to leave him out completely (which I'd really prefer not to do).

This is an awful movie. I would not subject any of my children to it for any reason whatsoever. If they want to see it as adults that is their choice. It does not represent the Christ of the Bible at all. It is Mel Gibson's "passion" and not that of my Savior. In my personal opinion it serves only to traumatize.

This is an awful movie. I would not subject any of my children to it for any reason whatsoever. If they want to see it as adults that is their choice. It does not represent the Christ of the Bible at all. It is Mel Gibson's "passion" and not that of my Savior. In my personal opinion it serves only to traumatize.

I do agree it includes a lot of symbolism not found inscripture, but I'd be interested in why you don't think it represents the Christ of the Bible "at all."

I guess I am very different here, but I let my 5 year old watch it, and she had no problems whatsoever. We are very familiar with the story of Christ's crucifixion and IMO, it is supposed to disturb us. It should show us the depth of pain and agony Christ went to because of our sin. I guess as a parent, I feel that only the sensitivity of the children should be taken into consideration. And yet, I feel that the harsh reality of pain and death should not be hidden from children completely. It is a fact of life. Many children in many parts of the world have to face violence and death on a regular basis. So in teaching history, I freely discuss war, death, pain, etc. with my children. Someday, they may have to face it, and if we have helped them sort through it with us by their side in a safe situation (for instance, a movie), then if they are forced to deal with it because of a tragedy, they are better able to cope. The movie is not advocating violence or evil, nor is it unnecessarily highlighting it, so I feel it is suitable for (most) children. Granted, the story of Christ's passion is so central to our family's faith, that I feel the brutal yet glorious truth of it is important to pass on to all, young and old.

:iagree:

I'm a Catholic, our family is Catholic. Seeing the movie made a good impression on me. It was an excellent depiction of the Crucifixition and the agony which my God suffered for me.

We don't hide the fact that Our Lord suffered (the most brutal death known to man so that we won't have to) from our children. We keep a crucifix in every room, my children know that their Jesus loves them and that they must love Him back. They know that they should feel sorrow when they look upon the Our Savior and strive to love Him more each day.

I would show the Passion to any person of any age without any qualms.

I do agree it includes a lot of symbolism not found inscripture, but I'd be interested in why you don't think it represents the Christ of the Bible "at all."

I think it is the height of arrogance to think a mortal sinful human can come remotely close to accurately representing what our eternal perfect Savior--God in the flesh--did for us. He is trying to place himself in God's shoes. There is no possible way for any of us to have any idea how Christ would have felt or acted while having the weight of sin of the world on His shoulders; while He was separated from His Father as He bore that sin. It isn't right to try to depict something like that from a fallen human perspective. It wasn't right for Mel Gibson/Jim Caviezel to represent things they had no possible manner of knowing.

I think it is the height of arrogance to think a mortal sinful human can come remotely close to accurately representing what our eternal perfect Savior--God in the flesh--did for us. He is trying to place himself in God's shoes. There is no possible way for any of us to have any idea how Christ would have felt or acted while having the weight of sin of the world on His shoulders; while He was separated from His Father as He bore that sin. It isn't right to try to depict something like that from a fallen human perspective. It wasn't right for Mel Gibson/Jim Caviezel to represent things they had no possible manner of knowing.

ok. I disagree w/ whether it is right to even attempt to portray Christ in a movie/ drama, but i do understand your position. i did want to make sure I hadn't missed something else :)