Menu

What makes cornbread amazing?

Dd wants to enter the national cornbread recipe contest. She must develop her own recipe. I have basic recipes here, but I need to know what I can suggest to her that will make it have that prize winning zing.

The basic rules are no mixes,must use at least one cup of Martha White cornmeal, must be baked in a Lodge cast iron pan.

The recipes are due on March 3rd, so we don't have much time.

I don't need recipes, she has to develop the recipe. I just need some inspiration!

Dd wants to enter the national cornbread recipe contest. She must develop her own recipe. I have basic recipes here, but I need to know what I can suggest to her that will make it have that prize winning zing.

The basic rules are no mixes,must use at least one cup of Martha White cornmeal, must be baked in a Lodge cast iron pan.

I don't need recipes, she has to develop the recipe. I just need some inspiration!

Use buttermilk. Also, get the pan very hot before you pour the batter in. I put olive oil in my cast iron skillet and then put it in the oven to warm while I prepare the batter.

Blended w/ the Martha White, as a matter of fact. Oh, it's good. We use lard instead of butter, which leaves the rye alone to do it's "thang" with the flavors. And, pffttt, is there any other way to make cornbread than in cast iron? ;)

Sounds like a fun contest!

I, personally, prefer a sweeter cornbread than DH and the kids do (corn cake, anyone? :D). But if you don't go w/ a sweet cornbread, and want something traditional but outstanding, then this is a great way to give it "that WOW factor!"

Definitely buttermilk instead of regular milk. Also, adding a scoop of thick, plain yogurt (not non-fat) for a portion of the milk can do wonders.

As others mentioned, heat the skillet before pouring in the batter -- and melt fat (I always use butter, but I'll trust Dy that lard is a good choice in some cases) in the hot, hot, hot skillet before pouring in the batter. When you pour the batter in, it should *sizzle*. :)

I like the idea of doing something unusual -- like the rye added to a savory cornbread, or homemade peach or mango salsa to make a slightly sweet and spicy cornbread. Just in terms of making her recipe "stand out" in a contest...

Use buttermilk. Also, get the pan very hot before you pour the batter in. I put olive oil in my cast iron skillet and then put it in the oven to warm while I prepare the batter.

I agree with Jackie, though I put butter in instead of olive oil. I put a whole stick and let it melt and be sizzling when I pour the batter in. The buttermilk is also essential in our recipe

Regarding sugar, I think cornbread is less often sweetened in the South than in the North, though it ultimately comes down to individual preference. I consider sweetened cornbread cake :D.

I'm intrigued by the cream and grits ideas. I might have to do some experimentin' myself. Hope she has fun in the process and comes up with a winner!

We have been brainstorming here.

She says no veggies. This is my no-veggies kid.

She wants savory, instead of sweet or spicy.

She likes cheesy.

So, I was thinking, tell me if this sounds nasty......

I accidentally bought a block of asiago cheese last week (I swear it was in the Parmesan bin at Sam's). What if she did an Italian inspired cornbread with fresh Italian herbs, diced chicken and topped with Asiago cheese? She liked the idea as she loves Italian food. I suggested the addition of tomatoes, but she said no (while wrinkling her nose). What else would one add to an Italian inspired cornbread that cannot contain vegetables?

Does that sound nasty?

I was going to let her start playing around with it this afternoon.

I guess we will be eating a lot of cornbread this week.

What if she did an Italian inspired cornbread with fresh Italian herbs, diced chicken and topped with Asiago cheese? She liked the idea as she loves Italian food. I suggested the addition of tomatoes, but she said no (while wrinkling her nose). What else would one add to an Italian inspired cornbread that cannot contain vegetables?

I think I'd skip the chicken, and mix most of the cheese in with the cornbread. Use fresh herbs if you possibly can, and would she *consider* using some very thin tomato slices on the top, just for decoration / color? I would use Roma tomatoes sliced very thin (to make pretty rounds) or sliced slightly thicker and "oven cured" (toss with a few drops of olive oil and Italian herbs and cooked for ~10 hours at *very* low temp (about 150-200 -- turn the oven off occasionally if yours cooks hot). She can pick them off before eating, but they'll really telegraph "Italian" (without changing the flavor much) and the color will be gorgeous with the yellow cornbread and green herbs. Sprinkle just a *bit* of asiago on top as well.

Another possibility for an "Italian" version would be to put egg yolks into slight indentations on the top of the cornbread. I would do this *and* round slices of roma tomatoes in a beautiful pattern on the top of the cornbread before baking. I haven't done this with cornbread before, but I've done it with a spinach quiche baked in a whole wheat bread crust, and it's *sooo* pretty! :) Also authentically Italian to bake eggs on top like that... The yolks stay bright yellow, with a bit of a white ring around (depending on how much white you allow to stay with the yolk), and again will look lovely with the red and yellow...

Abbey, I suggested maybe topping it with tomatoes like that. I got "that look" from her.

I will run the baked egg on top idea by her. I am going to keep trying to convince her that some Roma tomatoes might be appealling to the judges, and after all, the judges are who she needs to please if she wants one of the invitations to the cookoff!

I have to go buy a Lodge pan! My pan is some other brand!

Abbey, I suggested maybe topping it with tomatoes like that. I got "that look" from her.

Hm, lol... What about pepperoni? Roll a few slices up together and then cut them thin, so they make little ribbons. They'll add color and spice (and no tomatoes). ;)

(Tell her I said she needs to eat her vegetables...) ;)

The most amazing corn bread recipe I have eaten has a can of creamed corn in it as well as some buttermilk. It's all I can do to keep from giving you the recipe because it's soooo delicious! It also has diced green chiles and sharp cheddar cheese in it. Mmmmm.... (getting hungry now)

Personally, I think cornbread can be really dry...the recipe I have that I like adds sour cream and creamed corn. It's delicious. I would consider adding something to make sure it's not too dry...I think either of those would still work ok with Italian flavors.

I prefer cornbread that's NOT sweet, and it's more unusual, too. I think the recipe that my Mom always used to use was called "egg bread" and might have come out of those red-checkered Betty Crocker cookbooks. I think there were two eggs in the recipe, as well as bacon drippings (which gave it a smoky undertone). I adore this type of cornbread crumbled in milk, which does bring out the inherent sweetness in the corn, without it being too sweet.....

Regena

We have a great breakfast cornbread that uses buttermilk powder (1/3 or 1/4 cup) and icing sugar (3/4 cup IIRC). It's divine with a cup of blueberries when they're in season.

However, that doesn't jive with my suggestion per se'. I always think adding bacon drippings makes cornbread wonderful!!!

I know your daughter said no veggies. I do think the addition of pepperoni was great! I might be a tad worried about the "grease" from pepperoni, so maybe turkey pepperoni? NOT that I have a problem with grease since I like adding bacon drippings! I am just afraid the oiliness of the pepperoni might make it too oily! My suggestion for color was sun-dried tomatoes. I fear fresh tomatoes, even in thin slices, might make it soggy. If you drained oil-packed sundried tomatoes and stirred them in, that might be yummy! Maybe some rosemary??? Kind of a cornbread with a foccacia (sp?) flair?? Have fun and let us know what you go with!

I might be a tad worried about the "grease" from pepperoni, so maybe turkey pepperoni? NOT that I have a problem with grease since I like adding bacon drippings! I am just afraid the oiliness of the pepperoni might make it too oily!

Actually, I'm pretty confident that wouldn't be a problem -- though I might *slightly* reduce the oil in the recipe (and again use a thick yogurt or sour cream for part of the milk, which will make it more tender and moist). I'm afraid the flavor and texture of turkey pepperoni just isn't close enough... I wouldn't want to risk it.

My suggestion for color was sun-dried tomatoes. I fear fresh tomatoes, even in thin slices, might make it soggy. If you drained oil-packed sundried tomatoes and stirred them in, that might be yummy! Maybe some rosemary??? Kind of a cornbread with a foccacia (sp?) flair?? Have fun and let us know what you go with!

I definitely think oil-packed sun dried tomatoes would work well. But I promise thinly sliced fresh roma tomatoes will bake down and dry on the top of the cornbread, if you use them. I would *not* mix fresh tomatoes *in* with this recipe. (I think oil-cured sun dried tomatoes could work in the recipe or merely on top for decoration -- on top would be more focaccia-like.) You could also use whole basil leaves on top for aesthetic purposes.

Fresh rosemary would also give that focaccia-like flavor / sense. Dry rosemary would probably be prickly, but fresh could work great. If you have a mortar and pestle and can crush the leaves a little (perhaps with a few drops of olive oil) before mixing in, the flavor will be more intense.

So, Kelli, I'm betting your dd would gag at the thought of black olives too, huh? (Hm, black olive and rosemary cornbread with asiago sounds pretty awesome to *me*...) ;)

So, Kelli, I'm betting your dd would gag at the thought of black olives too, huh? (Hm, black olive and rosemary cornbread with asiago sounds pretty awesome to *me*...) ;)

Oh, you must know I suggested olives and you know she gave me that snarky look that only a veggie-hatin' ten year old can produce!!

Today she used my basic buttermilk cornbread recipe, my old standby, and she added 1 cup of cooked grits with the wet ingredients and she stirred in 1 cup of grated asiago.

The grits made it hard to bake up correctly, it is too moist, so I may suggest she cut back on the buttermilk a bit to compensate. She is going to increase the cheese next time, she felt it was not cheesy enough. She is trying to get the texture of the basic cornbread just right, then she wants to add in some meat and herbs.

But no vegetables.