Menu

Can you share your 5th/ 6th grade curriculum ?

paulcindy

I think I have mine down, but still on the fence about LA though for Grade 5/6ish.

(PS: I know this has probably been covered here somewhere in the thousands of threads, but when I try and do a search, I get about 300 posts and I have to search within all the threads.....ugggh)

Thanks!!!!

This year ds is in 5th grade. He's doing:

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Growing With Grammar 5

Spelling Workout E

Wordly Wise 2

Writing Skills Book 1

Singapore 5a & 5b

Teaching Students to Read Nonfiction

Beginning Outlining, Outlining

Building Thinking Skills 2

Reading Detective 1A

Lively Latin - finished 1, now we're in 2

Sonlight Core 5 - we're only completing about 2/3 of this program

Exploring Creation with Botany and Exploring Creation with Zoology 3

Next year we'll do 'the next thing' with most of the programs. We'll go on with GWG, SW, WW, LL, logic. I'm not sure what we'll do for writing. I'm switching to Life with Fred for math. We'll finish Sonlight 5, then do Mapping the World By Heart and maybe some Brimwood Press products for the second half of the year. And we'll cover chemistry and physics for science. That's the plan at least.

eta: oops. Forgot to add that we're going to take a year off BSGFAA and do Remembering God's Awesome Acts. I think that's everything now!

Edited by MeganP
forgot something

Dd is in 6th this year and this is what we are doing/have done:

Math-Started in R&S6 but stopped and are using Singapore only. We'll be doing CD Prealgebra next year

Latin-Henle with Memoria Press guide

French-First Start French but we will probably change that too:001_smile:

English-WT2 and now CW Homer with Harvey's grammar

Science-units in magnetism and electricity and Great Inventors and Their Inv.

History-This Country of Ours with our own Am. History notebook, Our Island Story

Literature-Children of New Forest, Courtship of Miles Standish, Double Life of Pocahontas, Midsummer Night's Dream, Robinson Crusoe, Rip Van Winkle, Anne of Green Gables, Poetry (assorted)+Tennyson

Art-History of Art Painting +artist study of Benjamin West

Music-Composer study-Haydn +piano lessons

P.E.-Homeschool group, biking, walking, roller blading, etc.

This has been a huge year in transitions for me as the teacher. I needed to regroup to prepare dd for upper level work and younger dd has changed grade levels on me in some areas more than once!:001_smile:

HTH

I'm still working on it and things aren't finalized yet...but here's what I'm thinking thus far...

Bible:

No idea yet!

Language Arts:

Total Language Plus (covers literature, vocab, spelling, composition and some grammar)

Rod and Staff English

Possibly Institute for Excellence in Writing

Math:

Rod and Staff Math

Foreign Language:

French (not sure which program yet)

History:

SOTW3

Science:

Exploring Creation: Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day and Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day

Other:

Artistic Pursuits, Color the Classics, Nature Study, Typing instruction as needed....

For DD's 5th grade next year we have the following planned..

MATH: Singapore Primary 5A and 5B

LA: SWO G and H, R&S 5, CW Homer and Poetry for Beginners, dictation, and assigned reading from the 1000 Good books list

History: Ancients, put together by me most likely

Science: still to be decided

Latin: LfC B

Logic: MindBenders B series and some other games and such

That's what I've got together so far anyhow...

Are you interested in just what we're doing for the language arts portion of our curriculum?

This year, for fifth grade, I've used Getty-Dubay Italics for handwriting, level F, with follow-up of italic copywork I've found online.

I've used Spelling Workout, level G. I've used several Carson-Dellosa and other workbooks that cover word study and dictionary skills (because I already owned them).

I've used Abeka God's Gift of Language series, level B.

I've used some miscellaneous workbooks I already owned to start off writing and am now using WordSmith Apprentice for the remainder of the year to finish up (because I have a son who has some difficulties with writing).

For reading, because we're covering the Ancients time period this year, we've been reading mostly mythology and folk lore. We've done some memory work, worksheets, and tests I've found online, etc. related to the mythology studies. I was also able to pull together info and worksheets covering the basics of literary elements from online and I created a workbook of those items which we've been covering slowly this year. I'll use it again next year to review these elements. Ds has done some book reports related to stories or books he's read for lit this year.

For sixth grade, next year, I'll be using the last level of Getty-Dubay and Spelling Workout. I'll be doing follow-up italic copywork related to the middle ages that I obtained online. My son will be working through Writing Strands 3 and 4. He'll be using the Level C Abeka book for grammar. We'll be reading more historical fiction next year related to the middle ages and he'll be continuing to write about some of those books.

This year for language arts, my 5th grader is using:

GWG 5

SWO E

WT 2

and various reading comprehension workbooks as well as just reading books he enjoys

Next year, for 6th grade, he will be doing:

GWG 6

Megawords

IEW History Based Writing Lessons

LL 7

as well as reading Sonlight core 3+4 readers and doing a handful of Sonlight LA

What we are currently using for 5th is in my sig. We did recently finish CW Aesop B.

Our plans for 6th include:

LFC B

CW Homer

Elementary Greek

Dolciani Pre-algebra w/LOF

FM of Middle Ages

Conceptual Physics

Lit using King Arthur & Robin Hood

Religion - undecided

Art - Art Talk

Music - instrument ??

What we're doing this year is in my signature line.

For next year, I'm planning:

Math: FLVS Geometry

Science: FLVS Earth-Space Science with three Thames & Kosmos kits to supplement

English: Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings with additional reading, excerpts from The Book of Great Books, Painless Grammar

Spanish: The Learnables Level 2

Greek/Latin: Hey Andrew Level 3, Latin’s Not So Tough Level 3

History: Houghton Mifflin’s Across the Centuries as a spine, plus readings from the Parragon Atlas of World History and History’s Greatest Hits. He’ll also read most or all of Cathedral, Forge and Waterwheel and The Age of Shakespeare (Laroque) and some historical fiction. We’ll top off with some Netflix documentaries and a few field trips.

Art History: Annotated Mona Lisa (appropriate chapters) plus selections from Gowing’s History of Art. I’ve got a few museum field trips planned, and need to look for artist bios and such on Netflix.

Extras: Choir and organ lessons will take care of music, along with field trips to local concerts. I think he's going to continue with dance, too. We're renewing our season tickets to the local Shakespeare theatre, and I think we're going to try and attend at least a couple of shows at Blackfriars Playhouse in Virginia when we go to see my daughter.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Well, this year I have both a 5th and a 6th grader.

Saxon Math: 65 / 87

Latin's Not So Tough: 3 / 4

Greek (Hey Andrew): None / 2

Learning Language Arts Through Literature: Purple / Tan

Both

History: SOTW 2 with Kingfisher as recommended in TWTM

Science: Christian Kids Explore Biology with How Nature Works as recommended in TWTM

PE: Karate & Swimming

This year for 5th I pulled my daughter out of a cyberschool and they were using Lincoln Interactive curriculum (blah).

Anyways I threw stuff together for the end of year here.

But this is what we have.

CLE 3 LA ( we'll be sticking with this LA program its works for my oldest)

CLE 4 Math ( not sure may switch to something else, hanging on the fence)

CLE 5 Reading ( she just does not like this reading program. So I'm looking for something else. )

Apologia Science Zoology 2 Swimming Creatures with Lapbook CD

Time Travelers ( Homeschool in the Woods ) Explorers for History. I didn't want to get into a whole history program with having only 3 months left in the year.

Finishing Prima Latina that we started last year

I'm checking out this thread so I can get some better ideas for the upcoming school year.

I have our line up with more detail posted here but here's what my 5th grader (ds) and 6 graders (ds-twins) will be using.

LA: KISS Grammar, Write with the Best: Modeling Writing after Great Works of World Literature, Spelling Wisdom, Awesome Hands On Activities for Teaching Literary Elements, Harp and Laurel Wreath and Poetry for Children

Math: MEP- Mathematics Enchancement Program

Science and Nature Study: Our science using God's Design for Life: Life Science series as a spine

Bible, Art, and History: all of these are combined in our Ancients study: Creation to Rome

Logic: Mind Benders and games

Foreign Language: Latina Christiana I (pt II Lessons 16-25) and Latina Christiana II (pt I lessons 1-15)

Habits: Laying Down the Rails from Simply Charlotte Mason

Music: Piano and Guitar Lessons, Music Theory via Co-op and SCM's Composer Study

Health and PE: co-op

Edited by sweetbaby

My dd is in 6th grade this year. Here's what we do:

Math: MUS and Life of Fred

Language Arts: Rod and Staff grammar, Spelling Work-Out, literature studies guided by me, and writing either guided by me and half the year through co-op

Latin: finished Latina Christiana II, started Henle

Spanish: 1/2 the year with tutor, presently with SpanishLuna

Science: Prentice-Hall Science Explorer

History: SOTW

Logic: class through co-op (one semester) plus Critical Thinking second semester

Bible: book studies directed by me, though I highly recommend Explorer's (used it last year)

I have found that the simpler the course of study the better. Although the below does not sound very taxing, covering material on a consistent basis is more my aim.

Math~ChalkDust PreAlgebra-- Not only do we enjoy the DVD teaching, but the text is one of the easiest texts to follow for a mom who is none too strong in mathematics.

Language Arts~Hake Grammar and Writing+Lightning Literature 7(LL7)--I wasn't too sure about the LL7, yet it has convinced me that having a more scripted literature that I can enhance is superior to my cobbling together a program. Spelling Workout "G."

History~K12 A History Odyssey--The narrative of this text is outstanding in my opinion. While I have let DD read by herself and write summaries and outline chapters, I've found that if we read together and I let her do a project requiring and internet search of images, time lines, mapping, and of course writing she is a more enthusiastic student, and her retention is greater than when she did the repetitive task of writing outlines. The text incorporates stories into the text that reflect either daily life or tales of mythology.

Science~This is just a plan old Prentice Hall Life Science Text book. We read this together and she answers questions. It is a bit dull, but reading the text together enables us to discuss and make connections that she'd otherwise probably not make.

Elective~Piano and ballet and vast amounts of independent reading. She prefers anything in a series.

My ds is in 5th grade this year. Here's what we are doing:

Singapore Math 5B/6A

Saxon California 6

Vocabulary from Classical Roots 6

Wordly Wise 6

IEW B

Spelling Power (we started this, but found the other books provided enough spelling words to work on)

Prentice Hall Science Explorer - Human Body, Oceanography, Cells & Genetics

"Story of the World," Book 1, half the year, plus American History using "A History of Us" half the year

Art - "Meet the Masters" at charter

Music - private lessons on piano and percussion

Classical literature - different every 6 weeks,

... and lots of independent reading (he is currently hooked on the "Pendragon" series, and we are reading "Johnny Tremain" together

Next year, for 6th, I would like to try "Artistic Pursuits" and "So You Really Want to Learn Spanish," in addition to continuing on the above path. I will also try a new program for Pre-Algebra, possibly "Chaldust" - we are so sick of Saxon!

Laurie

This year my 5th grader is doing

WordSmart vocabulary

Singapore 4B and 5A

Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Creative Writing at co-op

R & S 5 Grammar

SOTW 4

Science - Co-op (Birds, Simple Machines, Sound, Trees, Human Body)

Violin at co-op

Piano/Composers/Broadway Musicals

PE at co-op

Sports - Lacrosse and Basketball

Boy Scouts

Religion

(Latin has fallen by the wayside for him, but we do intend to try to finish it):001_smile:

Gosh...when I write this down it seems like a lot, but it doesn't seem like too much when he is doing it.

My 6th grader is doing:

Singapore 6A and 6B

Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Adademic I writing at co-op

R&S (still finishing 5)

Daily Grams 6

Wordly Wise 3000

Loving Literature at co-op (Although he does not LOVE it!)

Science - Co-op (Chemistry, Genetics, Human Body using BJU books)

Piano

PE at co-op

Sports - Basketball and Soccer

Boy Scouts

Religion at home and class at church on Sun. night

We haven't been good about history this year, he has been listening along with 5th grader, but not doing much else. Need to get back on track with this.

Next year my 5th grader will follow a similar schedule, but we plan to do SOTW 1 and Ancients with the whole family and not at co-op.

Well, after many rough spots and trying to school my son strictly in the classical method (which I love but is not the best fit for us *:crying: *) here is my preliminary plan for 6th grade.

BIBLE

Rod & Staff

POETRY

A Child's Intro to Poetry

MATH

Chalkdust Pre-Algebra

GRAMMAR

R&S6

WRITING

Continue w/lower levels of WWE and then move onto IEW SWI-B

SPELLING/VOCABULARY

Megawords/Vocabulary from Classical Roots 6

READING

CLE 6

HISTORY

WP QMA

SCIENCE

RS4K Chemistry, Biology, Physics Level 1

ART & MUSIC

Mark Kisler's Draw Squad, study a few composers TBD

LATIN

not sure yet but leaning toward Getting Started with Latin

ELECTIVES

PE co-op, guitar lesson

That's it for now! :001_smile:

6th this year:

TOG Y2 U1+2

LCII

Elementary Greek 1

Rod and Staff English 6

Apologia Zoology 2

RS Geometry

Keys to Fractions, Decimals, Percents

5th for next year: (different ds)

TOG Y2 U3+4

Rod and Staff English 4 then 5

Rod and Staff Spelling 5

LC II

Singapore Primary Math 4B and 5A

Apologia Botany

5th grade

MATH--TT6

History--Geography which didn't turn out like I had planned!

Science---Sonlight 5

English---R&S 5

Spelling--Spelling Workout

Latin---Latin For Children A

Bible---Bible for All Ages

Health---First Aid for Kids and What's Happening to my body

Writing---Put That In Writing

Outside classes/activities: piano, 4-H, Science classes, swimming, and gym

Next year 6th grade plans are:

Math--Chalkdust Basic Math

History---Sonlight 6

Science--Sonlight 6

English--R&S 6/TLP(covers vocab,spelling and more)

Latin--Latin for Children B

Bible--??

Writing---Put that in writing/IEW

Outside Classes/activities: Piano, 4-h, Science, Swimming and gym

Greek for Children

Spelling Power

English from the Roots Up

First Language Lessons 4

Intermediate Language Lessons/Writing Tales/BraveWriter - I hodgepodge writing instruction.

MathUSee Gamma, Singapore Challenging Word Problems 3

Heart of Dakota's Bigger Hearts for His Glory (American History, using extension package for 10 and 11 year olds)

Sonlight Core 3/4 Readers

Classical Astronomy's Signs and Seasons

pre-logic workbooks

My oldest is in 5th this year. She's doing:

Bible - Character Sketches, animal themed devotional books

Science - RS4K biology, studying lots of animals from around the world

World Geography and Cultures

Time4Learning - math and LA

Italic Handwriting E

Next year we're looking at:

Bible - Balancing the Sword

Science - The Elements (chemistry) plus additional living books on the subject; a couple of short studies on inventions and astronomy to round out the year.

History - Biblioplan year 2

Time4Learning - math and LA (and possibly a Time4Writing course)

Italic Handwriting F

Typing

The Learnables French

Blessings,

Laura

Thank you for your willingness to share:):)

Yes, I am really stuck on this whole LA thing. I am scared to try CW Aesop. Not sure I have what it takes. I cannot afford IEW. Writing Strands although looks good, it is not what I am really looking for. MC looks really good and I am leaning towards that. WT2, I had and sold. UGGGHHH. Not sure about doing that again since there is no WT3. And again, might be afraid to jump into CW Homer.

I *like* the idea of MC(as it is close to IEW and I really liked IEW when my kids did a shirt co-op with it 2 years ago). I see that some people are using just the SWI levels of IEW, is that an option, or do I really need to buy the whole entire set of IEW? Or, can you just use there writing programs, Like IEW Lessons in History(I think that is what they are called)

WWE, ends and wish SWB had the 5-8 available in a year. If I knew for *sure* she would have WWE 5-8 ready by September 2010, I would use WWE.

So, {{{{{{{{{{{{{SIGH}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I know this much for sure anyways

TT Math Grade 6 with LOF Fractions

History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients(History, Literature)

CKE Earth and Space(Science)

Lively Latin Book 1

Stuck on Logic, and a LA program. I do not need a spelling program as she is an excellent speller, and will just do a word list per week. And I *think* Lively Latin will cover Vocabulary.

So, open to help???????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by paulcindy

I have our line up with more detail posted here but here's what my 5th grader (ds) and 6 graders (ds-twins) will be using.

LA: KISS Grammar, Write with the Best: Modeling Writing after Great Works of World Literature, Spelling Wisdom, Awesome Hands On Activities for Teaching Literary Elements, Harp and Laurel Wreath and Poetry for Children

Math: MEP- Mathematics Enchancement Program

Science and Nature Study: Our science using God's Design for Life: Life Science series as a spine

Bible, Art, and History: all of these are combined in our Ancients study: Creation to Rome

Logic: Mind Benders and games

Foreign Language: Latina Christiana I (pt II Lessons 16-25) and Latina Christiana II (pt I lessons 1-15)

Habits: Laying Down the Rails from Simply Charlotte Mason

Music: Piano and Guitar Lessons, Music Theory via Co-op and SCM's Composer Study

Health and PE: co-op

I love your plans for next year (they are similar to some of mine) and your blog. I think I will be adding it to my favorites if you don't mind?

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this a week or so ago:

For next year, I'm planning:

Math: FLVS Geometry

Science: FLVS Earth-Space Science with three Thames & Kosmos kits to supplement

However, in the meantime I read an article discussing how Florida Virtual School is coping with a massive increase in enrollment flowing from budget cuts in our state's public schools. And I started to worry about counting on them so heavily.

So, after chatting with my husband and my son, we've decided to skip the FLVS science next year in favor of trying the open access biology course from University of California: http://www.ucopenaccess.org/ My son seems more interested in bio than earth and space, and it occured to me that it might be more fun to do the earth and space stuff the following year, because we'll be doing US history and could tie it in with the space program. Now I need to think about some hands-on stuff to go with a bio course.

In terms of math, we're still going to try for the FLVS class. However, if he can't get placed in their class by the beginning of our academic year, we'll go with Math-U-See for geometry. We looked at the sample lessons for this and for Teaching Textbooks, but my son much preferred the MUS approach.

Whew. I feel better now.

I'll have a 5th grader next year. She will be doing

Saxon 8/7

R&S English 7

Henle 1

Elementary Greek (or) First Start French - I want her to learn Greek, she wants to learn French. We are still negotiating. :tongue_smilie:

Science - nature study

History/Literature - focus on the Middle Ages using the recommendations in LCC

Dance (ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical and gymnastics)

Piano

History/Lit- Sonlight 3+4

Science- Sonlight 5

Spelling- Everyday Spelling 5

Grammar and Writing- GWG 5, My Access writing- great deal at homeschool buyers co-op(https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=921)

Vocab- Wordly Wise 5

Handwriting- HWT Cursive

Math- TT6

Art- Mark Kistlers Draw Squad Online, another co-op deal

Music- Guitar and Drum Lessons

PE- Homeschool class at YMCA, basketball and soccer

I have Prima Latina, so I hope to get something accomplished with that!