Menu

RS AL Abacus

hs4ze

We are currently using SM and are loving it... But I want to use the AL abacus to cement the concepts further before continuing in SM.

I was going to purchase RS's Abacus and need the following info:

1. Do i need to purchase the Activities for AL Abacus Book?

2. Does the packaging for the AL Abacus include instructions for how to use it?

3. Does the Activities book from RS approach/teach from the abacus/concepts that makes the $20 worth it or are there any better/just as good books/websites that offer the same thing for free?

thanks!

I can't answer all the questions as I haven't used the activity book but the abacus does come with a brochure that has instructions on how to use it. I can't recommend the abacus enough to most people so I'd definitely try it. Good luck. :)

This is mostly a "bump" because I am awaiting the arrival of a copy of the Al Abacus Activities book purchased on the "For Sale" boards here.

There are some instructions for the AL abacus on the Right Start web-page but I wanted to find something more complete. In a few weeks maybe I'd be more help :D

Bill

I think the Activities for the Abacus book is almost a necessity if you're really wanting to incorporate the concepts of the abacus without using the RightStart program. There are sooo many ways that the abacus can be used, mostly ones that I never would have thought of! The whole RightStart program was created from the Activities book, and it is jammed pack with teaching points, from basic numeration all the way up to division, factoring, squares, percentages and fractions. But I must warn you: I started out with only the Card Games book and the Activities for the Abacus book, but that didn't last long--I wanted the whole program! :D So now we use RS as our main math program, and my dd loves using the abacus.

I haven't seen the activity book, but I imagine it would really help make sense of how to use the abacus effectively

It comes with a small booklet with a couple of activities and very basic instructions, nothing in depth

3. Does the Activities book from RS approach/teach from the abacus/concepts that makes the $20 worth it or are there any better/just as good books/websites that offer the same thing for free?

Again, I haven't seen the book, but I can say that the abacus is set up differently than any other. For that reason a third party book would hardly be worth the abacus, since you wouldn't really get to use the features specific to the AL Abacus. HTH

I think the Activities for the Abacus book is almost a necessity if you're really wanting to incorporate the concepts of the abacus without using the RightStart program. There are sooo many ways that the abacus can be used, mostly ones that I never would have thought of! The whole RightStart program was created from the Activities book, and it is jammed pack with teaching points, from basic numeration all the way up to division, factoring, squares, percentages and fractions. But I must warn you: I started out with only the Card Games book and the Activities for the Abacus book, but that didn't last long--I wanted the whole program! :D So now we use RS as our main math program, and my dd loves using the abacus.

Yippee :D

We are currently using SM and are loving it... But I want to use the AL abacus to cement the concepts further before continuing in SM.

I was going to purchase RS's Abacus and need the following info:

I did and am very glad I did.

Only very cursory. Or maybe it was none. It's been a while. :D

As far as I can tell, the AL Abacus is used differently than other abacuses (abaci? :tongue_smilie:), for example the Chinese or other Asian ones, or the ones where the beads are all one color, or one color per row (and they don't have the place value stuff on the flip side either).

I think the AL Abacus with the Activities guide was well worth the money, and the best manipulative I've bought. I could've skipped buying those expensive MathUSee blocks and Cuisenaire rods...

I also used it to supplement Singapore - my kids are older now and it doesn't see as much use. We still love Singapore and use it as our main math program. While I love the idea of all the hands-on math learning in the complete RS program, I know myself well enough to know that it would be too teacher-intensive for me to actually implement. Just the Abacus and Activity Guide was perfect for us.

hth.

Edited by matroyshka

I will share with you that while we are using Saxon Math (K/1 right now) as our spine and supplementing w/Singapore (Earlybird series), I also can't help but be curious about other math programs such as RightStart because of it's Abacus and Math Card Kit. I have my reasons for staying w/Saxon and supplementing w/Singapore, but that doesn't mean I can't include or integrate the wonderful strengths from the other programs in what we are doing. So to make a long story short, I too have purchased the RS Abacus from RR. I purchased it a few weeks ago and finally started to actually use it. I believe it is going to be a hit, but I did break down last night and order the Activities for the Abacus Manual through RR as well. I have never used an Abacus prior to now, so the little pamphlet that came with it did shed some light as well as RS's AL Abacus Basics, but I too would like more guidance.

Yippee :D

I agree with you, Bill... Yippee!

This is mostly a "bump" because I am awaiting the arrival of a copy of the Al Abacus Activities book purchased on the "For Sale" boards here.

There are some instructions for the AL abacus on the Right Start web-page but I wanted to find something more complete. In a few weeks maybe I'd be more help :D

Bill

Bill, I'd like to know what you think of the activities after a few weeks, so don't forget to report back and let everyone know! Actually, it was through reading some of your posts that I was introduced to the benefits of an AL Abacus along with RS's Math Card Kit, the Miquon Math Program w/Cuisenaire Rods, a Base 10 set, etc... which helped me to see that I can integrate these wonderful materials from other math programs to help us arrive at our goals. Perhaps some may think it is a little over the top to use the multiple resources that I have selected, but it just makes sense to me and I think they are going to be a great and fun addition to our math program. Thank you!

I haven't seen the activity book, but I imagine it would really help make sense of how to use the abacus effectively

It comes with a small booklet with a couple of activities and very basic instructions, nothing in depth

I got the abacus and the little bookie, and while I'm usually pretty good with anything with my hands, I need more. I would guess maybe someone who had taught a few kids math already might have more of a clue. That is a rank guess, however.

Bill, I'd like to know what you think of the activities after a few weeks, so don't forget to report back and let everyone know! Actually, it was through reading some of your posts that I was introduced to the benefits of an AL Abacus along with RS's Math Card Kit, the Miquon Math Program w/Cuisenaire Rods, a Base 10 set, etc... which helped me to see that I can integrate these wonderful materials from other math programs to help us arrive at our goals. Perhaps some may think it is a little over the top to use the multiple resources that I have selected, but it just makes sense to me and I think they are going to be a great and fun addition to our math program. Thank you!

I'll let you know Melissa. How's the "eclectic" mix working for you? I'd love to hear about your experiment too.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I'll let you know Melissa. How's the "eclectic" mix working for you? I'd love to hear about your experiment too.

Bill

I guess you could say that I like the ideal security of a solid and/or well rounded math program in using Saxon Math as our spine supplemented w/Singapore for my ds, however, I also have the good intentions of implementing the eclectic mix of extras as well. I have yet to really begin the latter, as I am honestly 'winging' that part right now (most likely not as thoroughly thought out or planned as you are from what I've read in your posts), but those good intentions are there. :D Hopefully, I'll be able to provide a more profound insight in the future.

I thought I'd weigh in on this thread. I just bought the RS Activities for the Alabacus - used on the FS board here:001_smile:

I sat and poured through it last night while the kiddies played in the tub. LOVE the book -it's a must have imho. I must now figure out how to obtain an alabacus b/c we have the Melissa & Doug Abacus which doesn't lend itself to the same lessons learned with the RS version (I tried unscrewing the thing to rearrange the beads - M&D built those things to LAST LOL:001_huh:)

I did find this googling http://www.geocities.com/learner_center/abacus.html and I think it will be easy enough to modify the instructions to make an Alabacus look-alike.

I have spent the last year trying out different maths:confused: I have settled on using SM as my main course, and adding in RS Math Games, MEP, Miquon, and now the Alabacus for fun review/supplement. In practice, I go through a TB page in SM with ds6, and do a WB page or two, then later we play games/do activities to reinforce -and my dd3 (almost 4) joins in the fun. Ds6 essentially taught dd3 a math lesson today through a RS game;)

I'm in no hurry to get ds through the SM books, so we are savoring the games and activities. I hope that pays off down the line.

Do you need the Activity book for the Alabacus if you have the RS program. I just ordered level B and now I'm wondering if I should have ordered this activity book too.

I don't believe so - I think the full program is an expansion of what originally appeared in the Activity book - so it has all that and much more. The Activity book is great for those who want to use the Abacus without buying the full program, though.

I bought the activity book as a cheap substitute for the RS program. I also separately bought the games activity package. (Both used.) I think they offer a wide range of activities, and you can pick and choose from the book if you don't want to do them all in the same way you might if you followed the RS program. The small pamphlet (page) that comes with the abacus is not equivalent at all. I am not sure you would find something identical for free since the creator developed the abacus as a part of a program, but I've seen slavic abaci that are divided, and there may be others too. But that is not the entirety of the program.

I see we are on the same path with Miquon, SM, MEP, and elements of Right Start.

I'm starting to see "our way" as a burgeoning movement :D

Bill

I like the idea of having a basic and solid spine, and then inviting different methods of teaching the concepts into the routine. Especially with 3 different kiddies, having multiple ways to teach a concept at hand is a boon. (....as long as I can keep it organized......) Why NOT take advantage of the wonderful teachers out there???

My Activities for AL Abacus book and the Math Games book and cards arrived today. Woo-hoo!

Bill

yahoo!!! :D

What!?! What's wrong with using four math programs?!?:leaving:

Hey, the more the merrier, right?:D

I see we are on the same path with Miquon, SM, MEP, and elements of Right Start.

I'm starting to see "our way" as a burgeoning movement :D

Bill

William and I (partners) beat Mommy at "Go to the Dump" tonight :D

Oh, and "Mr Crafty" (not) made number cards with the numerals cut out of sheets of sandpaper this evening, to provide a "tactile" learning experience for the young one. I think I'm losing it :lol:

Bill

What!?! What's wrong with using four math programs?!?:leaving:

Hey, the more the merrier, right?:D

Good thing I didn't mention Tokyo Skoseki Mathmatics 1, and the accompanying workbooks by Kyoiku Dojinsha :lol:

Sidenote: my eyes look like hollow black caves from staying up half the night reading the Right Start Abacus and game books :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Sidenote: my eyes look like hollow black caves from staying up half the night reading the Right Start Abacus and game books :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I'm afraid the same will happen when mine arrive. Good to know I'm not going to be the only one. :D

Good thing I didn't mention Tokyo Skoseki Mathmatics 1, and the accompanying workbooks by Kyoiku Dojinsha :lol:

Bill

:eek: Okay, Bill, I'm not even going there! *Puts fingers in ears, closes eyes, and backs slowly away from the computer*

:eek: Okay, Bill, I'm not even going there! *Puts fingers in ears, closes eyes, and backs slowly away from the computer*

Then I shouldn't mention my long conversation today with Dr Zalman Usiskin, the Director of the University of Chicago's School Mathematics Project (brillant fellow). They've translated the first three years of a Russian textbook, and after a little probing he got to mentioning.......:lol:

Bill

Then I shouldn't mention my long conversation today with Dr Zalman Usiskin, the Director of the University of Chicago's School Mathematics Project (brillant fellow). They've translated the first three years of a Russian textbook, and after a little probing he got to mentioning.......:lol:

Bill

AAAHHHHH!!!

Although, I've actually looked at that one too. :D:001_rolleyes: Have you checked out how it compares with my fave foreign program, MEP?

Edited by mommahawk
clarification

AAAHHHHH!!!

Although, I've actually looked at that one too. :D:001_rolleyes: Have you checked out how it compares with my fave foreign program, MEP?

No. And Dr Usiskin wasn't familiar with MEP, so he couldn't give a comparison. They are going to send me some info as there are no samples online.

He did mention that in this Russian Math (at least starting in level 2) very basic pre-algebra notation is used, but with defined variables.

What do I mean? Good question because I can't make sense of what I just wrote :D

What they do is give all the values of the "variables", but still have the kids solve for a "numeral".

So if a =1, and b = 2,

then

a + b = [ 3 ]

No big deal, but kids early on get used to seeing the kind of things they will meet later in algebra, and should then be "unfazed." Clever, I thought.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! I think it's great to get them thinking that way.

There are similar problems that we've been working on in MEP that dd could use some more focused work on. For example, they give a chart (the formatting is messing with the chart and following equations some when I publish the post, so I had to put the question marks in there instead of blanks...sorry about that; also picture vertical lines separating the columns in the chart as well):

a 5 6 8 3 4 ? ?

b 4 5 ? ? ? 8 ?

c 2 3 ? ? ? ? 4

The instructions are to fill in the missing numbers in the chart above.

Then complete the equations:

c=b-2 a=b______ b=______

c=a-3 a=c______ b=______

Pretty tough for first grade math. We just worked through them all together. She started figuring out what was going on at the end despite my muddled way of trying to explain it. Back to the lesson plans! (and to my dh who teaches algebra! :rolleyes:) Really fun stuff, though!!

Pretty tough for first grade math.

Pretty tough? :001_huh:

It's making my head hurt :D

Let's see if I can do this?

a 5 6 8 3 4 9 7

b 4 5 7 2 3 8 6

c 2 3 5 0 1 6 4

c=b-2 a=b+1 b=a-1

c=a-3 a=c+3 b=c+2

Really fun stuff, though!!

You have a weird sense of fun lady :lol:

Please tell me I got these right :tongue_smilie:

So compared with this *cough* example my news is pretty prosaic.

But on the first night we played the Right Start card game (Go to the Dump) as partners against Mommy, with William having the aid of Cuisenaire rods laid out in all the pairs that make "10". He checked the rods fairly extensively, but he called the pairs.

The second night we repeated night one's arrangement. Except he scarcely looked at the rods.

Today he was walking around verbalizing all the "pairs" that make "10". And tonight he and I played against each other. He got no aid from me or any manipulatives, And we tied! Perfect ending :001_smile:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Please tell me I got these right :tongue_smilie:

Looks good to me! :001_smile:

Today he was walking around verbalizing all the "pairs" that make "10". And tonight he and I played against each other. He got no aid from me or any manipulatives, And we tied! Perfect ending :001_smile:

Bill

Awesome! My son beats me in Consecutive Memory all the time! (We were using it to solidify his 1-10 numerals, but now we just have fun playing it!)

My daughter can beat the tar out of me in corners (what a fun game!) and she is definitely quicker than me in adding the double digit numbers together in her head to score the game. I think I have a mental block there! No, really, I make her keep score to *practice* her mental addition! Really!:D

Edited by mommahawk
fixed quote

Hey guys,

I know it's been 6 days since this thread had it's last post, but maybe someone is still out there who is subscribed to this post can tell me if the Al Abacus Worksheets for the activities book are necessary? Are they good to have?

I'm about to order the Al Abacus Classic and the Activities book to supplement our standard math program (using K12). Just wondering if I should get the worksheets. :confused:

Thanks for your advice.

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying the al abacus standard, the Activities for the Al Abacus and the Worksheets for the Al Abacus.

I use the Al Abacus every day in our math lessons (using K12 1st grade level). I use them instead of the connecting cubes which came with the K12, because the Al Abacus is colored so that the student thinks in terms of 5's and 10's (7 is 5 and 2). You can't do that with connecting cubes, unless you use 2 different colors like in the Al abacus. It's just more convenient to use the al abacus.

Before every lesson in K12 I have ds to 1 page in the Al Abacus worksheets book - I cover it in a page protector and he does it with a dry erase pen, so I can re use them with my other 2 younger children.

I don't use the Activities book much. It's kind of like a Teacher's Manual. I use it when I don't understand what the worksheets are trying to accomplish. So, it's like a reference to me. Since I've worked with RightStart Level B before I know some of the early concepts, which we haven't gotten past yet. I'm guessing I'll use the Activities book more as the concepts get more advanced. It's a good book to have on the shelf, but the worksheets are what cements the concepts.

If you are trying to supplement another program I suggest the al abacus, the Activities book (for a reference to the concepts), and the Worksheets book. I do not suggest buying the entire Level B. This would be overkill for you as the teacher, and you would probably end up cutting way back on all that's in the Level B. I think the Al Abacus and the books are enough to supplement any program. I also think they are worth the investment in purchasing the products and the time to use them.

I don't use the Activities book much. It's kind of like a Teacher's Manual. I use it when I don't understand what the worksheets are trying to accomplish. So, it's like a reference to me. Since I've worked with RightStart Level B before I know some of the early concepts, which we haven't gotten past yet. I'm guessing I'll use the Activities book more as the concepts get more advanced. It's a good book to have on the shelf, but the worksheets are what cements the concepts.

You are confirming what I suspected. I wish I had the worksheets. Not to knock the Activities Guide, but the explanations can get "chewy". And I'm lacking the "lets just go" factor.

Bill

You are confirming what I suspected. I wish I had the worksheets. Not to knock the Activities Guide, but the explanations can get "chewy". And I'm lacking the "lets just go" factor.

Bill

Hey There Bill,

When I read what you're doing, I realized that I needed to warn you! You're gonna end up with a whole little group of kids dropped off for you to do Math and other subjects with...if you don't watch it! You're always so excited to try new things with your child....that it sort of makes me sorry for our little one who gets the last of my energy. (Takes most of my energy to peel him off the ceiling.) Anyway, I can see you having math groups....

Carrie:-)

... But I must warn you: I started out with only the Card Games book and the Activities for the Abacus book, but that didn't last long--I wanted the whole program! :D So now we use RS as our main math program, and my dd loves using the abacus.

:iagree: I just realized that not too long after my first post in this thread, I switched our math spine from Saxon to RightStart (but still using Singapore as a supplement).

:001_smile:

Hey There Bill,

When I read what you're doing, I realized that I needed to warn you! You're gonna end up with a whole little group of kids dropped off for you to do Math and other subjects with...if you don't watch it! You're always so excited to try new things with your child....that it sort of makes me sorry for our little one who gets the last of my energy. (Takes most of my energy to peel him off the ceiling.) Anyway, I can see you having math groups....

Carrie:-)

Well, I admire the people who are educating multiple children, sometimes while nursing infants and/or being with child. And those who trouble themselves to teach more than one subject ;)

OK we actually do "other things".

I have let my mind stray to the idea of having a "math lab" for kiddos (which I quickly dis-spell). But I think it could really be fun.

I don't put too much stock in those "personality tests", but when I did the one that swept through here a while back I came up: "Teacher".

And I find I get a lot of satisfaction if I can make seemingly "complicated" things easy to understand. I do feel a little pressure for the future as "math" was never "my subject". Not by a long-shot.

But it's funny how understanding the inadequacies of ones own education can motivate the desire to do better with ones child.

Bill

Ok......I've been a Bill post lurker for a long time now!! Mr. Bill, you are inspiring and I appreciate all the information you have bestowed here. Indeed you are a true asset to so many of us. Gracias!!

I've been struggling with math for my dd9 for quite some time now. I'm just starting out with dd5 and using only RSA. Dd9 has completed RSB (while also attending public school, 3rd grade) and we are now working through leve C @ 3x per week. Math Trailblazers was newly introduced in school last year and I have mixed feelings about it. I myself am a self-proclaimed math phobic and I don't want to pass on the same gene to my children. Dd9 has struggles in this area which has led me to supplement math heavily. She excells in all other areas so I only touch on them lightly but my main focus with her is math. I find that the critical skills that are important for her to tackle the subject are also lacking in other areas. If figure a solid mathematical background and way of thinking will help greatly!

My head is spinning with all the possibilities out there!!! Although I've been using RSC as our main spine......I just find that the demands of teaching it bog me down. I only have but so much time to get in a lesson I thought to look elsewhere and incorporate other things. I'm currently looking into MEP. I've read it really helps with critical thinking and I would like to incoporate SM as a main spine instead of RS.

I would really appreciate any advice here. Thanks!!

Dd5, who is in Pre-K (part time), completed SM EB 1A &1B. We are now working through RSA and is currently on lesson 49. I just printed the first 30 lessons of MEP Y1 for her to work on in tandem with RSA. I am very excited!! I find overall that she's mroe comfortable with mathematical concepts that dd9 was at her age and I love, love, love the idea of throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them and seeing what sticks!!!!

Thanks and have a great day!!

Ok......I've been a Bill post lurker for a long time now!! Mr. Bill, you are inspiring and I appreciate all the information you have bestowed here. Indeed you are a true asset to so many of us. Gracias!!

I've been struggling with math for my dd9 for quite some time now. I'm just starting out with dd5 and using only RSA. Dd9 has completed RSB (while also attending public school, 3rd grade) and we are now working through leve C @ 3x per week. Math Trailblazers was newly introduced in school last year and I have mixed feelings about it. I myself am a self-proclaimed math phobic and I don't want to pass on the same gene to my children. Dd9 has struggles in this area which has led me to supplement math heavily. She excells in all other areas so I only touch on them lightly but my main focus with her is math. I find that the critical skills that are important for her to tackle the subject are also lacking in other areas. If figure a solid mathematical background and way of thinking will help greatly!

My head is spinning with all the possibilities out there!!! Although I've been using RSC as our main spine......I just find that the demands of teaching it bog me down. I only have but so much time to get in a lesson I thought to look elsewhere and incorporate other things. I'm currently looking into MEP. I've read it really helps with critical thinking and I would like to incoporate SM as a main spine instead of RS.

I would really appreciate any advice here. Thanks!!

Dd5, who is in Pre-K (part time), completed SM EB 1A &1B. We are now working through RSA and is currently on lesson 49. I just printed the first 30 lessons of MEP Y1 for her to work on in tandem with RSA. I am very excited!! I find overall that she's mroe comfortable with mathematical concepts that dd9 was at her age and I love, love, love the idea of throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them and seeing what sticks!!!!

Thanks and have a great day!!

Hello PenKase,

Thank you for the kind words!

I guess I'm also a fan of teaching math concepts in different ways, from slightly different angles, and in ways that are geared to the child's intellectual development.

We have certainly been enjoying the MEP/Singapore combo. And borrowing on Right Start elements too. MEP and Singapore are very strong in the "critical thinking" aspects you mention (no knock on Right Start).

Part of you pick, I think has to include what program(s) appeal to you and your child. The MEP/Singapore materials have really clicked with my son, and have thus far intrigued him more than the abacus. This could change, And another parent/child combo I'm sure could find the appeals of different programs inversed.

There is no "one-size fits all" best math program. Each has strengths. And some thing connect with some children and not with others.

I don't know if this helps you much. Give MEP a try. If this excites her a MEP/Singapore combo might be the thing. What's nice is these two are both similar, but different. At least as far as we've experience thus far.

Good luck with your choice.

It is daunting, especially when the alternatives (including Right Start) are strong. But you do need to ask yourself if the style of the program fits your style. For us the MEP/Singapore combo with things pulled in from Miquon and Right Start (and anywhere else I find an idea to borrow, steal, or invent) is the road we are traveling.

But if I had a different child, I might choose differently.

Bill

• 11 months later...

Soooo cool! I'm glad I just found this thread! I ordered the Standard AL Abacus and the worksheet book from RR about two days ago. I didn't even see the activity book and was worried that I was going to need the activity book once it was pointed out to me.

We are also experimenting in the Singapore/MEP route with Horizons, Japanese Math, C-rod stuff as well. And soon the AL Abacus!

And to all those considering MEP, I emailed the Year 1a practice book and lesson plan book to Staples and had it printed out and bound (nice workbook type binding, not spiral) for under $25.

ETA: Gee...didn't see the date! Yes, VERY OLD thread! Opps!