Menu

My husband has played Roller Coaster Tycoon and Jane's Flight Simulator. He hasn't played either in a few years. He will sometimes play games on www.miniclip.com (things like Tetris and word games).

I have played Roller Coaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon, but not either lately. I have also played the Rice vocabulary game online.

We play Jeopardy, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Scrabble and some online trivia games together from time to time.

My husband used to play a lot of racing games with our eldest when he was young on his gaming system. We don't have gaming systems anymore.

We see these things as fun from time to time, but if either of us were really into it and spent hours a day on it (yes, we know adults who do spend hours a day and ignore their children), we would probably look at each other a little funny. We don't see video games as any worse than any other down-time thing -- watching a movie, listening to music, scrapbooking. We have pretty full lives, so if we spent hours doing any of the things I mentioned, we would be neglecting our family.

We are more about content in each thing we do, and we weigh each thing separately -- movies and video games are judged by their content. Realistic killing and big-boobed women in tank tops or bikinis are not allowed in video games.

I can't think of how to set a poll up for this, but I am curious to see answers. Does your DH play video games? If so, how much? And if you don't mind sharing, how old is he?

My husband has zero interest in video games. Several times he has expressed surprise that anyone in his 30s or 40s would be playing video games. I am a little younger than DH (seven years younger) but also went to college before the age when kids brought video games to college. I don't remember ever seeing anyone play a video game when I was in college (1985 - 1989). So DH and I just grew up before that was really on the radar.

Anyway, I expect there is a generation thing going on here ....

If your DH plays, do you play with him? Do you enjoy it?

My dh does. He's 37, graduated from college in 1995. He goes through spurts of playing more or less often. Right now he's playing a game with some old friends online, and they play most evenings for a couple of hours, after the kids go to bed. If things are busy in his life, video games are the first thing to go.

I would never play a video game myself. I don't like them at all.

I keep reading the phrase "grown man" here, and I do find myself becoming defensive for dh's sake. My dh is certainly a "grown man" in every sense of the word. He is the spiritual leader of our home, constantly teaching our kids, leading our youth group, serving others, working hard every day to support us... participating in one particular leisure activity certainly makes him no less of a man!

Those of you who are so very surprised by the thought of a grown man playing video games, have you heard of a grown man watching television? It's really a very comparable activity. Now that you are aware that mature, excellent men *do* sometimes play video games, perhaps you won't be so shocked to hear of it again in the future.

DH and I both play video games. He's 33 and I'm 32. Right now we mostly just play World of Warcraft, but we enjoy other games as well. We'll play sometimes in the evenings after the kids go to bed, but lately we haven't had time, so we play on the weekends. It's a way to destress and it's something we enjoy doing together.

I keep reading the phrase "grown man" here, and I do find myself becoming defensive for dh's sake. My dh is certainly a "grown man" in every sense of the word.

I know. It's odd to me that there's such surprise and dislike for such a common simple thing.

What's wrong with grown men playing games? Most are into some kind of game, golf, nascar, card games, computer games...

So what?

Frankly, I like that my dh isn't too stuffy to get silly with the kids.

Seeing him do dance revolution or guitar hero with the kids is hilarious and fun.

Seeing him decompress with a game of air combat after they go to bed doesn't bother me either.

He's not obsessed with it. It doesn't interfer with our family life or his ability to provide for us.

:001_huh:

Yes. It's (part of) his job. He's (whispering) 32. :) We were in college almost ten years after you.

My husband is in his 50s, so he never really got started with video games. Had he played when he was younger, he might still be doing that today.

(I, apparently, spend my time using parentheses...)

I tend to use parentheses, too. Thanks for the chuckle. :)

My view is that as long as the major duties in life get done video games are okay. Moderation is the key.

I know you dislike outdoor activities. Because of that, it's understandable that you don't have a desire to garden. Nothing wrong with that.:) Please understand, though, that if you want others to respect how you spend your time, you must extend the same courtesy to them. Your comment here in particular irritates me because many people on this board keep gardens as a means of growing food. Referring to their efforts as "playing in the dirt" conveys not only a lack of respect, but a lack of awareness. Growing food is no more a "hobby" than is grocery shopping.

Actually, I meant flower gardening. I have never known anyone who farms or grows their own food. My mom used to spend hours outside potting and planting and tending and whatnot. She always called it "playing in the dirt" because of a commercial that used the same phrase.

Guest Katia
I know. It's odd to me that there's such surprise and dislike for such a common simple thing.

What's wrong with grown men playing games? Most are into some kind of game, golf, nascar, card games, computer games...

So what?

Frankly, I like that my dh isn't too stuffy to get silly with the kids.

Seeing him do dance revolution or guitar hero with the kids is hilarious and fun.

Seeing him decompress with a game of air combat after they go to bed doesn't bother me either.

He's not obsessed with it. It doesn't interfer with our family life or his ability to provide for us.

:001_huh:

Like I said in my pp, my dh is 53yo. I think it's a riot that he is willing to play DDR with the kids. Funny? You bet. Side-splitting, but we are all having a great time! (it's pretty side-splitting when I do it, too, but I love it as well!!)

Personally, I feel sorry for all those 'grown men' who are missing out on this fun. Ah, well...to each his own.

I keep reading the phrase "grown man" here, and I do find myself becoming defensive for dh's sake. My dh is certainly a "grown man" in every sense of the word. He is the spiritual leader of our home, constantly teaching our kids, leading our youth group, serving others, working hard every day to support us... participating in one particular leisure activity certainly makes him no less of a man!

Those of you who are so very surprised by the thought of a grown man playing video games, have you heard of a grown man watching television? It's really a very comparable activity. Now that you are aware that mature, excellent men *do* sometimes play video games, perhaps you won't be so shocked to hear of it again in the future.

:iagree: My dh is a grown man in his late 30's. I'm much rather he be here playing video games alone or with the family than spend 8 hours on his days off hunting and fishing with his friends. He is here if I need him.

I'm in my early 40's. I've had most every gaming system since Pong. I enjoy playing on occasion. There are weeks that dd and I will blow of school to play some video game or another.

My dh is almost 29 and loves his video games. He used to play a lot more computer games when the kids were younger and in bed, but now he plays a lot of games with them. I've almost always worked nights, so this is his way of bonding with the kids (in addition to coaching teams, reading books, participating in scouts, etc.). Also, he plays in the evenings before I get home, so he can stay awake until I get there :)

I enjoy some of our Wii games as well, so sometimes we'll play Mario and Sonic and the Olympics or Trauma Center together as a way to "hang out". I equate it to playing board games or card games. We team up and play Mario Party as a family. Its a lot easier to play a board game on tv when you have a pesky 2yo who loves to mess with game pieces!

Lots of "grown men" are obsessed with sports- basketball, baseball, football- that is considered culturally acceptable. My dh doesn't follow any sport or sport team, so this is a hobby of his. Most of the families I know have a Wii or Xbox and play games together as a family often.

Dh is 47 and doesn't do video games. Both he and I will sometimes spend a few minutes playing the Wii or a computer game with our boys to get an understanding of the games.

I don't think gaming is any more or less valuable than any number of other hobbies people engage in. Many men love to watch and follow sports teams. I think one of the reasons I married dh is because he has no patience for professional sports. The thought of weekends spend watching football or baseball gives me a headache. Anything done to excess, even stuff that is on the surface good for you, can lead to a lack of balance in relationships and life. We have a neighbor that's a dedicated cycler. His wife has expressed frustration and disappointment with the amount of time he devotes to this activity.

my dh is 36, as am I and we have both played video games. I started way back on the apple 2c. I remember playing Load-runner, dig-dug etc.:) Anyhow, zooming forward to the future.....We used to play head-to-head first person shooter games until I found they made me feel sick.(a result of having kids) We used to have a lot of fun doing that. We just shut the door on the kids and tried to refrain from yelling "you killed me.":D

My dh plays real-time-strategy games on the computer. This type, for the uninitiated, is where you control armies, produce more units and try and conquer the other player. He really enjoys this and plays almost daily, I see no difference to this than watching sports on tv, which he doesn't do. Well, actually I think that playing rts is better than tv because your mind is engaged and thinking whereas tv is not so stimulating in my experience.

My dh's playing has never stopped him from having a full life. He has many interests and this is one of them. He spends time with his daughters every night after supper and on the weekends. He has an amazing mind and is able to sift through many different ideas to arrive at the heart of the matter.

People can use anything to escape real life. Reading books can isolate you from your family. I could read books obsessively and almost used to. I could happily ignore those around me and become absorbed in a book. The key is to achieve balance in what you're doing.

Now I wouldn't let my dd play for hours on the computer, as their minds are still developing. If I had a son I would keep him away from video games until he matured. This is not a double standard, just one thing is appropriate for children and another for adults. ...I also don't deny that there are those who are addicted to games but if that isn't a problem for you then go ahead and play them.

Lots of "grown men" are obsessed with sports- basketball, baseball, football- that is considered culturally acceptable. My dh doesn't follow any sport or sport team, so this is a hobby of his. Most of the families I know have a Wii or Xbox and play games together as a family often.

Good point!! My dh doesn't follow any sports either, to which I say "Hallelujah!!" I personally would much rather he play a video game after the kids go to bed, than be glued to sports on tv while they're awake.

• 3 years later...

No, dh did not have video games as a kid, and though we used to play them together a lot after we got married, he no longer plays them. He is just not into it. I had many gaming systems growing up, and I played them a lot, but I cannot get into them much anymore. We do play some Wii with the kids on occasion, but that is about it.

Video games were a big deal in college, but once people grew up and got jobs the the games had no place.

Nope, other than to play with our boys once in a while.

He isn't overly into anything in particular- sports, fishing, hunting, computer, etc. To relax he likes to spin records on his turntable (yes, a real turntable with real vinyl records, not hooked up to a computer :lol:) or he'll occasionally go shoot a couple games of pool. We have a nice pool hall that doesn't have a "bar" feel to it that he likes to go to. He and the 18 y/o like to go together. Most of his other activities are family or church related.

We are in our mid-40s.

Yes, it's a first-person shooter game....

Yes, we belong to clans. Dh is in the OTHG (over the hill gang) and is the youngest in the clan (oldest is 70). I'm in the GWGz clan (college girls to older moms).

Yes, it's a time waster (but stress-reliever). We don't watch sports or have cable tv, so this is our screen time.

Yes, we go outside, sit around the fire pit, read books. We even shower and brush our teeth....just like "regular" folks!:D

Yes, we watch each other play and chat with clan members. Sometimes we share FB info and phone numbers. We've had members hospitalized, lost in the woods (national news story), and worried and prayed over troubles together (sound familiar?).

I've played with many active duty and retired military men and women, retired and current law enforcement officers, doctors, nurses, EMTs, farmers, airline pilots, pastors, hairdressers, drivers, disabled Vets, homeschooling moms, SAHDs etc. IOW, people from all walks of life.

K

(aka MrsDiesel009)

Actually, I would make the argument that it is way better for you than passively watching tv. There is a whole lot of thinking in the games we prefer, strategy, figuring out puzzles, and they have great story lines as well.

My dh works his bu** off and I enjoy seeing him just play once in awhile. He deserves it.

I have to agree. DH is very much a "grown man", and yes he plays video games. A LOT. That's what h enjoys with his free time. He doesn't' watch tv, or much at least, is not into sports, and reads a lot for school and work, so doesn't do a lot in his spare time.

Most of the men we know play video games, and lots of the women too.

Dh is 30, I'm 25 btw.

Agreed! Men can enjoy a past-time of all sorts and as long as it truly doesn't take away from family time, who cares? My dh is a fun-loving man and I'm glad. I don't know if that's why he enjoys video games or if he got it from HIS father who was a computer geek. Dh is 40 and he and ds18 have uproarious times together playing! Come to think of it, except for me, our whole family enjoys games and there's a lot of laughter as everyone gets into it. (Not every game is a family game, though, of course.)

I'll admit that dh had to learn some self-control in the earlier half of our marriage with this, but he got his head on straight and I'm OK that this is how he enjoys an hour or two here and there rather than heading out to the golf-course (or paintball course, or "out with the guys at a bar", or working on a car by himself, or...) for several hours at a time. I, however, don't see any of those things as wrong or immature; I just happen to be glad he doesn't do THOSE things! :D