Menu

Target sells Generation Doll outfits for around $10 that are cute..... But we mostly buy the AG ones (only b-day gifts and Christmas gifts) mainly from grandparents.... My dd is very familiar with quality not quantity ;)

Hope that helps

kate

Thank you. I was there today and I think I agree with your daughter. I wasn't impressed with the outfits. There was very little selection at my target and nothing very classic looking. If they even had a couple simple jeans and shirts type things, I was ready to buy, but it was kind of crazy outfits.

I haven't found another source for truly *comparable* quality.

Some with decent, if not AG quality, at a slight discount are:

Carpatina

Emily Rose

Vision Forum

Target's clothes for 18" dolls are cheaper and not *badly* made, though we find them sometimes difficult to get off and on the dolls, and the shoes typically do not fit.

But I agree with a previous poster -- it's worth it to have fewer, higher quality items from AG than to buy cheaper stuff from Target. One or two outfits at Christmas or a birthday are better than lots of items that aren't cherished as carefully. And it gives relatives an easy thing to turn to when they aren't sure what to get a child.

I've gotten some clothes for the Kirsten doll on eBay, very well made by a woman sewing to earn extra money. That was a long time ago, but I think there are probably others who make and sell AG type clothes. Recently I was looking at the Samantha clothes and noticed some home made ones.

Doll clothes are a cinch to sew and cost practically nothing. You can get patterns for several outfits in a packet for cheap. If you don't sew yourself, you can ask a friend maybe? Or PM me--I've been on an AG doll clothes roll since Christmas, I have tons of patterns and scraps and would be willing to do some sewing.

Here are all the AG patterns that you used to be able to buy--they've been out of print for a long time, so someone put them up online.

Doll clothes are a cinch to sew and cost practically nothing. You can get patterns for several outfits in a packet for cheap. If you don't sew yourself, you can ask a friend maybe? Or PM me--I've been on an AG doll clothes roll since Christmas, I have tons of patterns and scraps and would be willing to do some sewing.

Here are all the AG patterns that you used to be able to buy--they've been out of print for a long time, so someone put them up online.

I have found some simple doll clothes that are not too difficult to sew (pull on pants and an unfitted dress) but in the complicated outfits are harder for me than human clothes. There is less room for error, KWIM? My sewing teacher says that the best thing about sewing doll clothes is that the dolls don't complain about the fit!

www.etsy.com It's a site where people sell hand made items. It is legit and lots of artists sell on there. My girls got AG dolls for Christmas and I got quite a bit of clothes, shoes, and underwear off of etsy for their dolls.

I also bought a few things at Michaels. They have "AG-like" dolls and sell clothes there. My DD plays soccer and I found a cute soccer outfit there, complete with cleats, ball, jersey, shorts, and knee high socks.

There is a lady that does amazing homemade dresses for much less. Her name is Cheri ? and her email is ashleysplaymates@aol.com . It has been a couple years since I ordered from her, but I am pretty sure she is still making them. I found her on the Vegsource homeschool message board.

I ordered a pioneer dress for my daughter and her Kit doll for Christmas and was thrilled with how nicely done they were! :)

I have found some simple doll clothes that are not too difficult to sew (pull on pants and an unfitted dress) but in the complicated outfits are harder for me than human clothes. There is less room for error, KWIM? My sewing teacher says that the best thing about sewing doll clothes is that the dolls don't complain about the fit!
Hah, that's true! I find doll clothes pretty easy and fun--no one in their right mind would sew a full-sixe 18th-century ballgown for their kid, but it's kind of fun to do one for Felicity (I didn't mean to sew that one, but my 8yo found this royal blue taffeta in the remnant bin for 70% off the remnant price--who could resist?).

I suppose I could go into business on Etsy, but I don't have time for that kind of thing. I had a ton of fun before Christmas doing ethnic clothing that matched each of our cousins (A Russian sarafan, a Korean hanbok, etc.) and an Irish dance outfit for my 8yo who does Irish dance. I won't buy her one of those hideous solo dresses, but I'll sew a cute one for her doll...

Guest Katia
There is a lady that does amazing homemade dresses for much less. Her name is Cheri ? and her email is ashleysplaymates@aol.com . It has been a couple years since I ordered from her, but I am pretty sure she is still making them. I found her on the Vegsource homeschool message board.

:iagree: Absolutely! I have bought doll clothes from Cheri for years and years and she does a wonderful job. And she is so great to work with. Back-in-the-day my older dd and her dd were the same age....both played with AG dolls and she used to custom design the clothing my dd wanted for her doll. Now my dd is 19yo and at college, but her AG doll has a prominent place on her shelf.....dressed in clothing by Cheri of Ashley's Playmates!