Menu

My chicken enchiladas were flops!

How do you make yummy enchiladas or burritos? I used authentic corn tortillas and after warming them according to package directions they crumble and cracked after filling them and lining them in the dish. Complete flop in taste as well. Just kinda boring. I've never made them before and my menu needs some new varieties. I don't want to go the Old El Paso additives route. :) Idea, please?

I'd also love to make a great roast beef. I use to. I don't know what happened. Now they are tough and resemble nothing but a huge hunk of meat! LOL What happened to my stringy, tender pieces that I could barely cut because it would fall apart? In the past I just put my roast in a roasting bag with the seasoning package and water along a couple of big handfuls of veggies. Did I change cuts and not know? What cut?

Thanks!

I dip my tortillas in hot oil before filling/rolling them, then I dip them in my warm enchilada sauce. Then I fill them. Put a little sauce on the bottom of the pan as well as on top. I used to make my enchilada sauce fresh using dried chilies etc. honestly it's not worth it. I now use Las Palmas products. I mix 1 can red sauce and 1 can enchilada sauce. Sometimes I add a little (vegan) chicken broth while I'm warming it up. This brand tastes pretty similar to the real thing. Maybe you can start with just making cheese enchiladas while you play with the flavor. Add some chopped green onion and sliced black olives on top before you bake. good luck. BTW I once made THE all time worst enchiladas. I say this with confidence because my family is vegan and our "cheese" when used in excess is putrid! We still talk about them and they have been given a totally inappropriate nickname:D. Don't give up it's an easy recipe once you get it down.

The tortillas need to be heated by dipping (flat) in warm oil on the stove,then into warm enchilada sauce. And I always use canned enchilada sauce. Making your own takes time, and I like the authentic flavor of canned sauce.

As for beef roast, mine have not been good either...but I bought a 'kit' recently because it was marked down at the store....but the meat, water, dry sauce mix and veggies in crockpot and cooked a long time and it was good, really good.....consulting Joy of Cooking cookbook is always helpful...

bon appetit!

Ok, I hope you guys come back and check this because I have a potentially dumb question. How in the world do you fill and roll these things if they are fresh out of grease and hot enchilada sauce?? They would fry your hand to hold! :) Am I missing something? Thank you for the ideas. I really dislike flopping a meal, so I would like to get it right.

Thanks again!

I've never tried a bag for roast beef. Doesn't that prevent it from browning? The outside needs to brown first, so the juices won't seep out.

I just set it on the pan and stick it in the oven.

I've never tried the hot oil thing. When I make enchiladas, I use wheat tortillas (less crumbly) and put them all in a pan with sauce in the oven to heat (while we're at swim practice, so we can eat as soon as we get home.) The sauce makes them soft.

I have never gotten corn tortillas to work and dipping them in hot oil sounds like a mess waiting to happen, so I use whole grain flour tortillas. I also use canned sauce, Las Palmas I believe. I read labels like crazy so I can't imagine it has a bunch of junk in it...but I mix it equal parts w/ tomato sauce or add a can of tomato paste, then thin w/ broth, before using. HTH.

I have never gotten corn tortillas to work and dipping them in hot oil sounds like a mess waiting to happen, so I use whole grain flour tortillas. I also use canned sauce, Las Palmas I believe. I read labels like crazy so I can't imagine it has a bunch of junk in it...but I mix it equal parts w/ tomato sauce or add a can of tomato paste, then thin w/ broth, before using. HTH.

Please note that you don't just "dip" them in hot oil. You are soft-frying them. A few seconds on one side, turn with tongs, a few seconds on the other side, onto a plate that has paper towels on it to rest until you are finished. By the time you finish soft-frying the tortillas, they are cooled enough to handle.

I've been doing this for over 30 years and have never found it to be a mess. :-)

Here's an alternative chicken enchilada recipe that causes no burnt fingers. ;)

Ingredients:

About 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Package of medium sized flour tortillas (larger than fajita size, smaller than the dinner plate size)

Large can of green enchilada sauce

8 oz cream cheese

green onions to taste

shredded cheddar cheese

Grill or bake 4 chicken breasts. Let cool completely, then either shred them by hand or chop them up in a food processor.

Take an 8oz brick of cream cheese, soften it and mix it with the chicken. Add in some chopped green onion. You can season this mixture how ever you like.

Take 10-12 flour tortillas and warm them slightly in the microwave (so they're pliable).

Get your 9 x 13 pan and pour enough green enchilda sauce on the bottom to coat.

Fill each tortilla with about 2 TB of the mix (or more, depending on how big the chicken breasts were and how thick you like your enchiladas). Place each rolled enchilada, seam side down, in the pan. Fill the pan and when you can't squeeze in another enchilada, pour the rest of the green sauce over, top with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, until the filling is hot and the cheese melted.

I use flour torts and only Las Palmas sauce.

The only time i use corn tortilla's are if i'm doing a chicken layer type of casserole.

Wait a minute here, Tracey...what you have there is a "red burrito" if you're using flour tortillas and red sauce. :tongue_smilie:

As to the original post, I don't fry my tortillas first, but I do dip them in oil and then put them on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven to warm. They do have to get thoroughly heated through in order to become warm enough to roll without cracking, but once they're heated I can let them cool to just warm before I roll them. No finger-burning needed. :001_smile: I don't dip them in sauce, but roll them up in the warm, oily (yum, huh?) tortillas, and then lay them in a baking dish and bake (covered with foil), or microwave, until heated through. I keep the sauce simmering on the stove, and pour the sauce over each enchiladas as I'm serving them. I just couldn't stand the soggy tortilla thing, and don't like the mess of frying, so this method is a nice in-between. I think a lot of people have trouble with their enchiladas getting mushy, soggy, and cracked because they either don't heat the tortillas with oil before rolling, or they cook the finished enchiladas too long.

ETA: Once you get to the point of having the enchiladas rolled and in the baking dish, but before you cook them or put on the sauce, that's a *great* time to stick some in the freezer for next time. When you need an easy meal, just thaw, microwave, and pour warm sauce over.

Edited by Julie in CA

Beef enchiladas with red sauce..... rarely make chicken.

And hey, i'm a 3rd generation Californian with HIspanic history..... not my fault my fam isn't big corn tortilla torts! LOL!!!

Actually, my Dad doesn't LIKE green sauce, so i seriously think i was 30 before i had it!

And, i don't do wet burrito's, dry only please.....

For my roast-

Cut slits into the meat and place garlic inside then season liberally with favorite seasoning (usually I just use Essense from Emril).

In a deep pan pour olive oil and brown the meat on all sides.

When it is browned, place a cut up onion ( in big chuncks) underneath the roast.

Pour half water half apple juice, (juice makes a huge difference in taste) about half way up the meat.

Bring to a boil then lower heat to low, simmer for 7 hours.

In the last hour to half hour add veggies. I just add carrots and potatoes.

Here's an alternative chicken enchilada recipe that causes no burnt fingers. ;)

Ingredients:

About 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Package of medium sized flour tortillas (larger than fajita size, smaller than the dinner plate size)

Large can of green enchilada sauce

8 oz cream cheese

green onions to taste

shredded cheddar cheese

Grill or bake 4 chicken breasts. Let cool completely, then either shred them by hand or chop them up in a food processor.

Take an 8oz brick of cream cheese, soften it and mix it with the chicken. Add in some chopped green onion. You can season this mixture how ever you like.

Take 10-12 flour tortillas and warm them slightly in the microwave (so they're pliable).

Get your 9 x 13 pan and pour enough green enchilda sauce on the bottom to coat.

Fill each tortilla with about 2 TB of the mix (or more, depending on how big the chicken breasts were and how thick you like your enchiladas). Place each rolled enchilada, seam side down, in the pan. Fill the pan and when you can't squeeze in another enchilada, pour the rest of the green sauce over, top with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, until the filling is hot and the cheese melted.

Oh...YUMMM!!! Now I know what I'm making for supper tomorrow night! A couple of weeks ago I baked a chicken with a Tex-Mex spice rub on it, and I shredded up the leftover meat and put it in the freezer. I even have everything else for this recipe already on hand...perfect!! Thanks, Michelle!

I only use chuck roast when I want the kind of roast that comes apart in tender shreds. But I recently had to switch to buying them at Costco because the ones from the grocery store were coming out tough. Maybe they switched suppliers or started stocking a cheaper grade or something.

I do my roasts in my enameled cast iron dutch oven (LeCreuset knockoff). Sometimes I brown the meat, but if I'm in a hurry I don't and it still seems to brown enough in the oven.

I salt the meat on both sides and plop it in the pan with 3 or 4 cloves of garlic on top, and then add a cup of water. This goes in the oven, with the lid on, for 2.5 hours at 250 degrees. After 2.5 hours, I pull it out, turn the roast over and smash the garlic cloves into the juice. Then I add peeled carrot chunks and medium-size scrubbed potatoes and put it back in for 1.5 hours.

This is one of the easiest meals I make, and yet everyone in my family thinks it is terrific...have I got them buffaloed or what?:lol:

Please note that you don't just "dip" them in hot oil. You are soft-frying them. A few seconds on one side, turn with tongs, a few seconds on the other side, onto a plate that has paper towels on it to rest until you are finished. By the time you finish soft-frying the tortillas, they are cooled enough to handle.

I've been doing this for over 30 years and have never found it to be a mess. :-)

This is what I do - I don't dip them in enchilada sauce cause that does get mess.

It works great!

Oh...YUMMM!!! Now I know what I'm making for supper tomorrow night! A couple of weeks ago I baked a chicken with a Tex-Mex spice rub on it, and I shredded up the leftover meat and put it in the freezer. I even have everything else for this recipe already on hand...perfect!! Thanks, Michelle!

I got this from Karen! LOL Wait, I think she used red sauce. Anyway, I took her recipe and tweaked it to make it my own. :D