Menu

Please, I am begging....Math curriculum suggestions for 6th grade....

astrid

Dd is in 6th grade, but just finished Singapore 5B. We got a late start in Singapore as dd was in public school until 3rd grade. She doesn't love math, but does well enough at it. I've given her the Saxon placement test and she tested at a solid 7/6 level.

So......I'm finding that as we go further in Singapore, she needs more concrete instruction. More step-by-step process. More practice. I need to order math stuff NOW, as she's done with 5B and we're doing some reinforcement stuff as a filler.

But what? I"ve only ever used Singapore, so I really don't know what's out there for secular resources.

Saxon? I think too scripted.

Glencoe? Too difficult?

We're secular homeschoolers, and any advice would be appreciated! I keep posting this question and keep hearing the crickets chirping, so I"m going to try one last time.

Thanks,

Astrid

Guest Alte Veste Academy
she needs more concrete instruction. More step-by-step process. More practice.

I'm as far as you can get from an expert but my long term plan is to jump to Teaching Textbooks at some point. Have you looked at it? It has step by step explanations of every single problem covered, which impressed me. I highly recommend looking at their samples online to see if the program would fit your daughter.

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/

Good luck!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Chalkdust, TT, Lials

What exactly were your requirements? There are tons of programs.

Mandy

More concrete, sequential explanations of problems.

More opportunity for practice.

Secular.

NOT as "scripted" as Saxon. Dd likes to ruminate over problems and complete them on her own, without a lot of "conversation."

Thanks for your help! :001_smile:

Astrid

Secular.

NOT as "scripted" as Saxon. Dd likes to ruminate over problems and complete them on her own, without a lot of "conversation."

Astrid

Well, then any of those (Chalkdust Basic Math, TT- not sure what level, Lials BCM) should work. You may want to search over on the High School forum for past conversations about those programs.

HTH:D

Mandy

I have used a variety of material for high school math with my ds. After he finished math, I decided to use Chalkdust for the next two. He later used Life Of Fred on his own for review before going to college, and he suggested that it would be great for the girls. I also have been looking over some old Dolcani pre-Algebra books becasue they give a great foundtion in understanding math.

I currently use Singapore for my dd, and when I find she needs more review, I make sure to slow down and do all the problems from the CWP, IP and EP books in addition to the Textbook and workbook. As she gets into the higher grades, my current plan is to stick with Singapore and add LoF for additional practice and for additional perspective. And if that fails, I'll jump to Chalkdust.

My 6th grade dd is using Lial's BCM and Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra.

For Lial's she does the odd problems, and I allow her to use the student solutions manual and the answers in the back of the book to check her own work. We usually work together for a few minutes when she's getting started, and then whatever she misses, if she doesn't understand how to fix it, we do it together.

For TT, she watches the lecture, does the work, and any that she misses I have her watch the solutions cd.

She tends to be "emotional" about math--I think she doesn't like making mistakes--so the more work she can do independently, the happier we both are.

Math isn't her strongest subject, but I feel good that she's getting a solid math education this year. :001_smile:

My 6th grade dd is using Lial's BCM and Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra.

For Lial's she does the odd problems, and I allow her to use the student solutions manual and the answers in the back of the book to check her own work. We usually work together for a few minutes when she's getting started, and then whatever she misses, if she doesn't understand how to fix it, we do it together.

For TT, she watches the lecture, does the work, and any that she misses I have her watch the solutions cd.

She tends to be "emotional" about math--I think she doesn't like making mistakes--so the more work she can do independently, the happier we both are.

Math isn't her strongest subject, but I feel good that she's getting a solid math education this year. :001_smile:

OMG you just described my dd to a T!! Molly tends to be "emotional" about math, and I think it's because she doesn't like making mistakes, and prefers to work independently.

I just checked out TEaching Textbooks and I think it would appeal to her. Do you find you NEED to supplement?

astrid

I'm not sure what you mean by Saxon being 'too scripted' - - a lot of times, people are referring to the fact that the earlier levels of Saxon have an actual teacher script to follow, which is QUITE detailed, but 4th grade and up are written directly to the student. Or do you think that even the upper levels give too many detailed instructions, even though it's directly to the student?

I would really suggest that you look at Saxon again. Every detail you mention points directly to Saxon, imo: "she needs more concrete instruction. More step-by-step process. More practice." Saxon definitely provides all of that, and the newer editions even list which chapter every practice problem is from, so the student can review on their own.

We have always used a mix of Singapore and Saxon, and I find they complement each other very well. We used to switch back and forth fairly often, then dd and I both got frustrated with Singapore 6. The clear explanations that I've always admired seemed to fly out of the window, and they managed to confuse ME in the percentages section.

So for the last month or so, we've only done Saxon 7/6, and it's going very well. I really love being able to quickly pinpoint the EXACT concepts she needs to review (because of the way they number practice problems).

There is daily mental math practice, and dd really likes the 'investigations' that come every tenth lesson. She'd like more of that, so I just use their investigation as a jumping off point and add in more.

If you have any specific questions about Saxon, I'd be glad to answer. I have most of the levels.

You might be able to piece together a program that covers just what you need to review using Math Mammoth workbooks and then go into the pre-algebra of the higher math you want to use. You could use MM on its own or as an adjunct with Singapore. I only have experience at the 1-2 grade levels, but MM strikes me as Singapore slowed down. It tends to teach through the exercises so each one builds slowly on the previous one without much written explanation.

Good luck!

Saxon is not scripted after grade 3. I don't know if that helps, but from 5/4 it is written to the student and is significantly different from 3 down.

Dd is in 6th grade, but just finished Singapore 5B. We got a late start in Singapore as dd was in public school until 3rd grade. She doesn't love math, but does well enough at it. I've given her the Saxon placement test and she tested at a solid 7/6 level.

So......I'm finding that as we go further in Singapore, she needs more concrete instruction. More step-by-step process. More practice. I need to order math stuff NOW, as she's done with 5B and we're doing some reinforcement stuff as a filler.

But what? I"ve only ever used Singapore, so I really don't know what's out there for secular resources.

Saxon? I think too scripted.

Glencoe? Too difficult?

We're secular homeschoolers, and any advice would be appreciated! I keep posting this question and keep hearing the crickets chirping, so I"m going to try one last time.

Thanks,

Astrid

I'm not sure what you mean by Saxon being 'too scripted' - - a lot of times, people are referring to the fact that the earlier levels of Saxon have an actual teacher script to follow, which is QUITE detailed, but 4th grade and up are written directly to the student. Or do you think that even the upper levels give too many detailed instructions, even though it's directly to the student?

I would really suggest that you look at Saxon again. Every detail you mention points directly to Saxon, imo: "she needs more concrete instruction. More step-by-step process. More practice." Saxon definitely provides all of that, and the newer editions even list which chapter every practice problem is from, so the student can review on their own.

We have always used a mix of Singapore and Saxon, and I find they complement each other very well. We used to switch back and forth fairly often, then dd and I both got frustrated with Singapore 6. The clear explanations that I've always admired seemed to fly out of the window, and they managed to confuse ME in the percentages section.

So for the last month or so, we've only done Saxon 7/6, and it's going very well. I really love being able to quickly pinpoint the EXACT concepts she needs to review (because of the way they number practice problems).

There is daily mental math practice, and dd really likes the 'investigations' that come every tenth lesson. She'd like more of that, so I just use their investigation as a jumping off point and add in more.

If you have any specific questions about Saxon, I'd be glad to answer. I have most of the levels.

Thanks so much for your input! I think I was basing my comments on the earlier levels of Saxon, which are the only ones I know. Sounds like we've had the same experience with the upper levels of Singapore. Suddenly, it seems, the clear explanations that we really liked are gone.

I'll take another look-- thanks!

astrid

I can't tell you how much we LOVE Teaching Textbooks here. My dd went from crying and complaining her way through a Saxon lesson to actually tolerating math. :lol: She'll never love math, but she has threatened to run away if I ever switch her. I'm ordering their 4th grade program for my son for the fall. YAY!

I can't tell you how much we LOVE Teaching Textbooks here. My dd went from crying and complaining her way through a Saxon lesson to actually tolerating math. :lol: She'll never love math, but she has threatened to run away if I ever switch her. I'm ordering their 4th grade program for my son for the fall. YAY!

And *I* can't tell you how much I appreciate hearing this! I think I"m sold on TT. Now I just have to figure out where to start her--- 6th grade or 7th grade. I"ve planned the 7th grade placement test for tomorrow's math work.

thank you everyone for your replies! They really were most helpful-- I didn't even know so many of these programs EXISTED! I sat up half the night last night checking out websites!

Astrid

Hi Astrid,

I didn't have a chance to answer earlier, but I want to say that I really do feel like TT does need to be supplemented. For example, I have my 3rd and 4th graders doing TT Math 5, but also they spend about 30 minutes on ALEKS. Even at 2 grades ahead, Math 5 is very simple, some of the problems (so far, at several months in) not even at a 3rd grade level. I imagine they have sample problems on the website, if you want to take a look.

That's not to say I don't love the program--I do! It really fills in a gap for me, because I'm just not very good at teaching math. It's my main hsing weakness. So I use TT for it's extraordinarily clear explanations, but I supplement.

Next year, I plan on moving to Chalk Dust PreAlgebra or Algebra for my oldest dd, and hopefully she'll get the same support she does with TT. If not, we'll go back to TT (but we use a charter school, so I understand that this very expensive experiment likely won't work for most people).

If you do a search on TT, I think you'll find that many people agree with me that it's not on grade level. Hope this helps, and doesn't just add to your confusion! :tongue_smilie::grouphug:

Secular.

Astrid

Only the K-3 levels of Saxon are scripted. 5/4 up is a textbook without any of the conversation that occurs in the lower levels.

I use LOF as a supplement, but LOF fractions and LOF decimals and percents could easily be a one year curriculum. Prior to starting algebra we used Horizons as our main text. It's solid, but not secular.

Finally, I recently came across Math Doesn't Suck by Danica Mckellar (Winnie Cooper of the Wonder Years all grown, having become a mathematician). This book is not a complete curriculum, but it is written specifically for girls 11-14. She explains basic math in a tone just for girls this age. I'm going back over this stuff with my dd with MDS once a week. The book is sprinkled with short interview with successful women on how they use math and has quote from tween and teen girls throughout.