Menu

Does anybody else think February is just hard for homeschooling?

I don't know why this is, but I seem to dread Februarys. This one is no different.

I have just barely gotten over my annual ditch the curriculum crisis. My 7yo DD is having speech problems again (prayers please!) and we are finally getting an independent diagnosis over the next few weeks. My best friend (and mom to my kids' best friends) just announced that they probably won't be homeschooling next year. My house is a disaster. And I am probably going to have to have my gall bladder removed.

I am just feeling kind of lousy.

(((Shelly)))

That sure is a lot going on during this gray month.

I try to use February to hunker down and get serious about bookwork before lovely spring weather gives my children extra fidgets. I tend to give them a bit of time off during really gorgeous April and May weather, and they usually attend a week-long local horse camp in March, so I know we will be missing school soon and I should make the most of the bad weather.

But some days it's just yuck. And I don't have all of your other issues!!!

Yes, it is always hard for me. Two years ago I put my oldest in school in February. She's back home now, and I've managed to learn that once I get past February, it will be okay.

We're heading to Mexico on Friday, and won't be home until March 1st, so if I can just make it though the next two days...

Lori

Yup! Hard here too. I always plan January & February as heavy work months. January works out good, but February never does. It also seems to be the month we get sick. I was looking at hours completed in February, and it's low. I'm ready for spring and warmth and sunshine...

Whew....I thought it was just me! This is our first year, so I have nothing to compare it to (or any history to help me realize that things will get better.)

I've been thinking, "Could I possibly be burn out on homeschooling ALREADY? It's only our 1st year!" I'm going to put my faith in you guys and expect things to get better in March. ;)

-Mrs. F

Absolutely! February is always our toughest month. I always re-evaluate what we're using over our winter holiday break and usually Feb is when I find out if any changes will work or not :001_huh: This year there was a lot that didn't work so now it's back to the original plan and we're all happy for that. We just keep plugging along, it's kind of like Dory in Finding Nemo "Just keep swimming" I know once March gets here we'll get our second wind and it will all settle back into a routine again.

Oh yeah, February is the worst. I'm glad it's so short, because it sure is taking a long time to get through! I hadn't heard about Jessie Wise's observation that October and February were the hardest...this year, it was October for us for sure--I was one day away from calling the ps and enrolling my dd!! Then we went on a little retreat and things have been waaay better. A day off here and there, or at least a little lightening of the workload, helps ease the February yucky blahs for us.

Amy

I tend to think this is why some public schools are closed for mid-winter break this week!

Yes! Amazingly, many schools have their teachers renew contracts in February. I understand the need to plan for the next year's staffing needs, but asking teachers to sign up again during the worst month of the year just begs good teachers to quit.

February would be bad even if I weren't homeschooling. Honestly, I've recognized a pattern. Last February I went through one of the worst depressive episodes I've ever experienced. It was scaaaary! I've been leery this year, but so far life has been average. Thank goodness!!!

Hang in there! The month is already half way done. :)

Wow, I thought it was just me and my PMS. It's hard to home school five year olds. They want to PLAY. Which is fine, of course, but the charter school (and me too!) want to see some progress.

If you're anything like I was, you'll feel a lot better once your gallbladder was out. I sure did.

Thanks for this thread.

Alicia