Menu

Who knew glasses were so expensive?

I finally went to get my eyes checked. My near vision has gone rapidly downhill the last few months (since my 45th birthday), and my far vision is effecting my driving. My kids don't want to ride with me. I had no idea until my last check-up that vision loss is part of pre-menopause. I'm just not ready for all of this. I feel more like 30 than 45.

So, I priced glasses at Super Wal-Mart and found the exam to be $82 and the glasses I looked at from $60-$100. I prepared for this and made an appointment.

OH MY GOSH - I forgot about the cost of the prescription lens. The total was nearly $400!!

My dh is out of town. Won't he be surprised when he gets home!

I think getting old is going to be expensive.

This summer, the glasses people at my optomotrist wanted $300 for single-vision lenses! JUST THE LENSES! :glare:

I asked around at this site, and got lots of advice. (Websites, etc.) But I ended up going to Costco and getting a pair of glasses for about $100. Lenses frames, and anti-reflective coating. Thank you Costco!

Oh yeah, they're expensive! That's why in The Christmas Story it was such a big deal when Ralphie broke his glasses firing his rifle.

Did they also sell you the anti-reflective stuff, the stuff where the glasses automatically turn into sunglasses in sunlight, or the featherweight lenses? Those add up significantly, too.

I had lasik surgery 9 years ago. In a few more years the cost of the surgery will be equal with what I would have been paying for glasses.

I loved it when we have vision insurance. I got glasses every two years for nothing, okay we paid the insurance, but it was still minimal.

Now both dh and I have glasses. he has bifocals and yes I think he just paid over $400.00 and that was at Wal-mart.

I try to go to Eyemasters when they have a special, I'm due again. But yes, glasses are pricey.

We went to a place that had a buy 1 get 3 special. I ended up with 3 pairs (regular, reading with prisms, sunglasses) for $350. It was a good deal!

I need an update though i think, and i'll be hoping that Costco or Sam's will use my current frames. Otherwise.... it will be awhile.

But i feel you pain, i really do!

I went to Sears and (not including an exam which I got elsewhere through insurance) my glasses, with "clearance designer frames" (but nice nonetheless) and some extras (non-reflective lenses, etc.) were only $149 ($176 after tax).

You might shop there next time...I was surprised when I saw how much more expensive Walmart was.

Best wishes,

Angela

I finally went to get my eyes checked. My near vision has gone rapidly downhill the last few months (since my 45th birthday), and my far vision is effecting my driving. My kids don't want to ride with me. I had no idea until my last check-up that vision loss is part of pre-menopause. I'm just not ready for all of this. I feel more like 30 than 45.

I think getting old is going to be expensive.

I don't think I wanted to hear this. I got glasses when I was 7 and have been in the "high prescription" category since I was about 12 and I had to get new glasses almost yearly because my prescription kept changing. it stabalized in my 20's and since hitting 30 (I'm 35) but astygmatizism has been going crazy so I'm still getting new glasses every year and half to two years. I really didn't need to hear that it's going to get worse when I get older. It's already horrible.

Yes the price is terrible. My last pair of glasses was around $270 dollars and that was AFTER the 50% off of everything (the coatings, the extra fee for thin lenses, the extra fee for strong prescription, the lenses, the frames-cheapest one I could find, etc.)

My son has a basic prescription and I ordered from Zenni for $18 and they are working very well. My husband will probably order from them this year. Unfortunately mine are so complicated, I usually end up getting them remade at least once or twice before they get them right that I don't even want to mess with trying to do them online when I can't even get them right the first time in person.

Yes, I agree.. with dh, ds needing glasses and my contact lenses the cost is ridiculous. It made me seriously think about LASIK but I don't think it is a great option now with my age and needing bifocals. My prescription is pretty high and with needing special lenses I have been reluctant to try some of the cheaper options. I think for dh and ds we will look into some of those now that we live in a place with more possibilities.

Have you tried www.zennioptical.com ? I just made my first order a few weeks ago and should be receiving them in the mail at any time now. MUCH cheaper.

:iagree: I ordered from them and my new glasses wer $35--including shipping. LOVE. They're exactly like $500 pair from the ophthamologist that I bought a couple years back and my son mangled during nap time unexpectedly a couple months back. They're perfect.

I will be ordering from them with confidence when I need to again.