Menu

How often does your dog get so whiffy that you feel a need to bath it?

I'm not talking about rolling in something vile, nor a need to have it looking sweet and fluffy, just general dogginess.

Pre-dog, I had been assuming once a month or so, but Blondie seems to exude scent when she gets stressed. She's on the nervous side, so stress is common, and the dogginess builds up fast.

Laura

my puppy has not been bathed since her spay surgery(actually a few days before hand). She will be a year old shortly.

My 19 year old terrier got a bath after the flood at the same time as my 5 year old dog did.

That flood water was really dirty.

They do get brushed weekly and sometimes daily depeding on coat blowing season.

All 3 do get dry rubbed with the towel though if there is mud around.

my puppy has not been bathed since her spay surgery(actually a few days before hand). She will be a year old shortly.

Blondie has not been spayed - she's a breeding dog who boards with us, in preparation for being ours full time when she finishes her breeding career. Could the dogginess be hormonal? She's two years old.

Laura

Blondie has not been spayed - she's a breeding dog who boards with us, in preparation for being ours full time when she finishes her breeding career. Could the dogginess be hormonal? She's two years old.

Laura

Yep. It sure could be one of the reasons. You also said she is nervous: could also been anal gland smell that you are noticing.

Could be diet or bad teeth,ears as well.

Good luck trying to figure it out. What sort of bedding does she sleep on?

We bathe our dogs fairly often in the summer when we can do it outside - probably every 2 weeks or so. During the winter, they go longer between baths. We did baths last weekend and it was the first time in two months or more. Our young Labradoodle has very little doggy odor, but our elderly hound mix has skin allergies and was pretty ripe by the time she got that bath last weekend. I won't wait so long next time :).

SBP

Yep. It sure could be one of the reasons. You also said she is nervous: could also been anal gland smell that you are noticing.

Could be diet or bad teeth,ears as well.

Good luck trying to figure it out. What sort of bedding does she sleep on?

We add in a little real food to tempt her (a scattering of plain cooked chicken, for example) because she's not a big eater, and could do with putting on some weight before having her first litter.

She sleeps on this bed, which I wash every couple of weeks. We gave her a fleece blanket, but she ignores that/pushes it out of the way.

Last time I shampooed her, she smelled fine until I took her with me to pick up Hobbes from Cub Scouts. They happened to be playing indoor hockey that day, and she was alarmed by the noise of the puck hitting the door (we were safely outside in the waiting room). I noticed a rise in smell after that.

I'm taking her to the vet next month for worming - I'll ask then. Thanks.

Laura

I've bathed Daisy exactly once in the 3 years she's been here. She does not have a doggy odour. We do live in a rainy climate and so she gets "surface cleaned" a lot - I towel her off when we come in from our walks.

She has a thick, fairly long double coat & I brush her at least weekly and usually more like twice a week.

Even with my fosters - who come from very icky conditions and usually are really stinky when they arrive - they don't all need a bath. Superior food, salmon oil and lots of brushing (I use a curry comb rubber brush in addition to regular brushes) and they look and smell great very quickly. My preference is to take them to the ocean or a lake for a swim rather than bathing.

Bathing too frequently strips the oils from the coat and I think can cause a rebound of overly stinky dog. Teeth, ears and anal glands are big sources of stinkiness btw. Floppy eared dogs often have stinky ears which need special attention.

We add in a little real food to tempt her (a scattering of plain cooked chicken, for example) because she's not a big eater, and could do with putting on some weight before having her first litter.

It still could be food choices for her.

She sleeps on this bed, which I wash every couple of weeks. We gave her a fleece blanket, but she ignores that/pushes it out of the way.

You might try sprinkling the bed with some baking soda in between washing of the bed.

Last time I shampooed her, she smelled fine until I took her with me to pick up Hobbes from Cub Scouts. They happened to be playing indoor hockey that day, and she was alarmed by the noise of the puck hitting the door (we were safely outside in the waiting room). I noticed a rise in smell after that.

Sound slike anal glands then.

I'm taking her to the vet next month for worming - I'll ask then. Thanks.

Laura

I would def. ask about anal glands, have a full physical done on her as well.

Good luck.

Eewwwww anal glands. I have seen that done once and :ack2: !! We get the dog groomed a couple of times a year. He's a Schipperke with loong fur, and I just can't get all that fur out from between his paw pads by myself, so we take him in. Those are the only baths he gets, barring fleas... which should be prevented by the meds we give him during flea season.

Eewwwww anal glands. I have seen that done once and :ack2: !! We get the dog groomed a couple of times a year. He's a Schipperke with loong fur, and I just can't get all that fur out from between his paw pads by myself, so we take him in. Those are the only baths he gets, barring fleas... which should be prevented by the meds we give him during flea season.

You don't see them very often, people hardly ever had even heard of the breed. Wow, when they shed their undercoat in the spring, watch out! We could brush our schip forever it seemed, and the hair would still be coming off.

Michelle T