Menu

Are you buying peanut butter these days?

I'm purposely not buying any snack peanut butter stuff. I did read/scan the list of affected items and they said on the news not to worry about major national name brands. I bought a new jar of organic Skippy about a month ago though. Do you guys think I should be concerned? My 10 year old has had a weird upset stomach for more than 48 hours right now.

Thoughts?

Absolutley still buying peanut butter here. The news reports have said there are no problems with jarred peanut butter of any brand. The problems have been with peanut butter in other foods. You can go to websites of particular companies and see if any of their products are recalled. The ones I've checked are fine--Girl Scout cookies and a particular type of granola bar.

We are not having anything with peanut butter in it or peanuts (whole roasted peanuts sold in some stores are also recalled) and I'll tell you why:

this is playing out the same way the pet food recall did. One day a company assures you that THEIR product is safe, the next day they 'voluntarily' recall a bunch of products.

What changed overnight?

Companies don't always know where their supplies come from apparently. :confused: Also, machinery is not thoroughly cleaned between batches so contamination across product lines is happening. This happened during the pet food recall as well - which is also when people learned that only a small handful of suppliers supply only a small handful of production plants, which supply only a small handful of companies, which turn around and put on hundreds of various brands on the stuff - to make us think we're getting something special, different, and to give the illusion of choice.

As Gina Spadafori (petconnection) wrote this morning:

"Very rarely mentioned, if at all: The fact that all this peanut product came from a single place — just as in the Menu Foods disaster — underlines a dangerous threat posed by our centralized food system. Public health …. national security … this has to be fixed."

Just as in the contaminated pet food fiasco, there's growing evidence that those involved have been 'lab shopping' - sending samples to various labs to get the results they want to see.

The list is growing daily. This is huge. NPR said this morning that this is the largest recall in history.

UTD list is here: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/index.cfm

Ten more recall notices were dropped at night. :glare:

I highly recommend a book by Marion Nestle called Pet Food Politics - the chihuahua in the coalmine.

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Food-Politics-Chihuahua-Coal/dp/0520257812

The pet food recall - while devastating for people whose pets died or became ill - was most importantly the harbinger of what is to come if we don't fix the terrible problems in our food production system.

OH & you know when they say 'voluntary' recall? There's no other kind. The FDA can't compel a company to recall a product without a court order. When you have a 'voluntary' recall, what's happened is that the lab results are so bad that the company can't talk themselves out of it anymore.......

I'm purposely not buying any snack peanut butter stuff. I did read/scan the list of affected items and they said on the news not to worry about major national name brands. I bought a new jar of organic Skippy about a month ago though. Do you guys think I should be concerned? My 10 year old has had a weird upset stomach for more than 48 hours right now.

Thoughts?

I don't think so. We've passed around a little tummy bug (nausea and gas but no vomiting) this past week and even the non-pb eaters (dh, nursling and myself) suffered.

Barb

I'm not staying up with the peanut/salmonella scare. We don't buy the snack foods I saw on tv, but what about peanut butter? Is there a safe brand?

We usually grind our own at the little machine at the store. Yesterday it was empty and we were told by a passing employee it was because of the recall. I don't know if that is true or not. Sometimes the machine is empty because they are out of peanuts. I would think if it was really because of the recall they would post a sign on the machine.

Well, we had been eating jarred peanut butter and whole peanuts, but nothing containing peanut butter... although jarred was hard to get at our store. They pulled it all until they knew exactly which products were safe, and I don't think they know yet.

It looks like there may be issues with some jarred butters and whole peanuts now, so we are holding off buying more until it is clear what is going on or we can buy peanuts locally grown and not sent in for processing.

We have been eating the Trader Joe's peanut butter, that we always eat. Nothing else that we buy really has peanut butter in it. It is scary though.

A friend of mine got a phone call that she had bought something from Giant food store and that it was a recalled item. I thought it was pretty amazing that they tracked customers down like that. Logically I know that it is only to their benefit to try and cover themselves. It does remind me how much companies really do know about any of us at a given time.

I'm TRYing to buy peanut butter, but the rest of the food buying club is pretending they don't see it on the split-cases list. ;)

That said, one of my 4 year olds is allergic (not life threatening), so we don't buy peanut-containing snack items anyway. We do have a few jars of almond butter but, at twice the cost, I'd rather give that to him and peanut butter (both Maranatha organic) to the other two.

OH & you know when they say 'voluntary' recall? There's no other kind. The FDA can't compel a company to recall a product without a court order. When you have a 'voluntary' recall, what's happened is that the lab results are so bad that the company can't talk themselves out of it anymore.......

And let us not overlook that they did not voluntarily do anything even after repeated tests showed contamination. :glare:

Sigh. Just one more reason to avoid industrial food. Single points of failure are a big, big problem for our food security.

I haven't changed anything. we still eat the walmart [or cheapest] PB and i haven't checked our snacks....but we rarely buy convenience snacks other than goldfish or crackers anyway.

i did find Nature's Own whole wheat double fiber/ bazillion grains loaves at the local Dollar Tree earlier this week. a dollar a loaf!! lotsa sandwiches this week :D

I have a number of jars of organic peanut butter from a case I bought a while back, but I just bought 4 new ones at a coop I normally don't go to in the city because Whole Foods doesn't carry this brand and I really like it. But I highly doubt that any of these plants process organic peanuts so I didn't worry much about buying the new jars.

We also buy Teddy brand - it's natural but not organic. We are continuing to eat the open jar, as it hasn't sickened anyone yet, but before I buy a new one I may look into where those peanuts come from. Probably we'll just use the organic stuff we've got till this blows over.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — February 4, 2009 — Odwalla, Inc. of Half Moon Bay, Calif., alerts consumers that certain expired Odwalla Chocolate Chip Peanut and Odwalla Peanut Crunch bars with “Enjoy by†dates of December, 2007, contain peanuts included within the expanded recall announced by Peanut Corporation of America (“PCAâ€) on January 28th and may be contaminated with Salmonella.

Did you catch that date? Best before December 2007?

That long ago? There were problems that long ago? And we only find out about it now? :001_huh:

We only get peanut butter sporadically - we live in Mexico and people bring it to us. We bought a TONNE last December on our annual trip - organic Costco (Kirkland brand). I'm not asking anyone to mule any down right now, but come April, I'm hoping to. Depending, of course, on how widespread the salmonella turns out to be.

There has not been a problem with the jar peanut butter, only the institutional supply. No reason for concern.

Ria

There are 1,679 products on the recall list as of this moment.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/index.cfm

I call it a huge concern. Esp. in light of the fact that a criminal probe has been initiated as it appears the plant knowingly shipped the product AFTER it had tested positive.

While it appears that most retail brands of jarred pb are currently unaffected, this list is changing & growing daily and yesterday we learned that products with a bb date of 2007 were recalled, so apparently the system has been compromised for some time.

We only get peanut butter sporadically - we live in Mexico and people bring it to us. We bought a TONNE last December on our annual trip - organic Costco (Kirkland brand). I'm not asking anyone to mule any down right now, but come April, I'm hoping to. Depending, of course, on how widespread the salmonella turns out to be.

Heh heh... peanut butter mules. :lol:

I would assume that the reason it's not affecting jarred peanut butter is simply that the companies who produce peanut butter don't really buy peanut butter from other people. Companies who put peanut butter in other products, however, don't produce the peanut butter, though, just like they don't grind their own wheat.

Thanks for sharing about the investigation, Hornblower. I haven't listened to live news in the past couple of days, but I'm glad to hear they're pursuing them since it's been widely reported that they did nothing in response to positive testing.