Menu

Taming the Cracker Beast

can't afford to keep up with my families cracker obcession. They can eat a whole sleeve of Ritz or Saltines or "Town House" in one sitting. Of course there are 5 kiddos here so maybe I'm being unrealistic.

I buy less crackers--what I can afford-- and when they're gone, they're gone. But I've got ds5 is "saving his hunger" for crackers on shopping day (we shop once every 2-3 weeks for groceries).

Along the same lines their "fat tooths" and "sweet tooths" are protesting the new stricter dietary changes. I made red beans and rice on Sunday. Although they all liked it and ate it twice they're reluctant for leftovers. And there are plenty.

I am the queen of mean here with food. But sometimes waiting out their food snobbery gets lonely. And I know I created it so . . . my punishment, right.

Also had to tell dh that I can't spend 1/2 the grocery budget on his snacks. He's got a secret stash and it gets raided frequently by my kiddos. I can't eat any of it because I'm diabetic.

My 3 boys can easily eat a whole sleeve of crackers in one sitting. I try to bake some whole grain bread for their bed-time snack--they scarf that down too. Or I'll cut some cheese and veggies and they make cracker sandwiches. (I don't think crackers have much nutritional value anyways).

to homemade bread with butter? Maybe toasted?

I typically can't get my family to contine to eat the same leftovers after two meals, so I don't cook more than we can eat in two sittings unless I can freeze some of it. I don't know how well red beans and rice freeze.

I might try baking rolls once a week and letting the kids eat them. You can make them with whole wheat and can add some flax or oats to make them healthier.

I tend to let my kids eat a lot of fat. I think they need it. Butter, olive oil, eggs, cheese - these are fats that my kids regularly eat. Also, "spreads" that are non-hydrogenated.

When I was a kid, my Mom bought Ritz, but they really have no redeeming nutritional value so I never buy them. I really avoid things with hydrogenated fats. But toast is just such a lovely food and sort of meets the same needs for a fattening carb.

I would tell them that only you can serve them. When you do, make what I call a "snack plate." We have these divided containers with three shallow areas. Put crackers in one, apple slices in another and a cheese stick or cottage cheese in another. Put a blob of peanut butter in the area with the crackers.

I'm buying cheap saltines at Sam's. IT's like $4 for 8 sleeves i think (and i may not do it again if i don't have the money). They last longer for us, but gives them something to munch/crunch on that "keeps" too.

But when i've bought more expensive crackers - they do indeed go faster.

I hear you on the DH and snacks though.... i'm still currently married to the junk food king.

I'd top the crackers with cheese, peanut butter or something other protein. Everyone would just get their share. Milk goes a long way towards filling em up.

Lots of kiddos like dipping things in peanut butter like apples, carrots, celery and so on. Maybe rethink snack time. Ants on a log, cottage cheese kids, tuna volcanoes etc. Keep it fun & filling.

A few tricks that I was surprised worked with my children were sticking to serving size and/or special day of the week. Ice-cream is so expensive and my dc were being greedy with it. I instituted a "Friday only" rule so they could have a scoop or two Friday evening only, and if they forgot or were away from home for whatever reason they went without. There were no 'makeup' scoops ;)

The rule that worked and surprised me most was the 'serving size' rule. Amazing how boys with bottomless pits for stomachs would eat an entire box of something they liked if I said the words "yes, but don't be greedy with it" but when I said "serving size" they obeyed the info on the box and only ate that much.

Try a rule of not eating straight from the packet or box. By putting a serving of crackers (or whatever) onto a plate, they're less likely to forget how much they are eating and eat through an entire box.

A few tricks that I was surprised worked with my children were sticking to serving size and/or special day of the week. Ice-cream is so expensive and my dc were being greedy with it. I instituted a "Friday only" rule so they could have a scoop or two Friday evening only, and if they forgot or were away from home for whatever reason they went without. There were no 'makeup' scoops ;)

The rule that worked and surprised me most was the 'serving size' rule. Amazing how boys with bottomless pits for stomachs would eat an entire box of something they liked if I said the words "yes, but don't be greedy with it" but when I said "serving size" they obeyed the info on the box and only ate that much.

Try a rule of not eating straight from the packet or box. By putting a serving of crackers (or whatever) onto a plate, they're less likely to forget how much they are eating and eat through an entire box.

Serving size!!! I pulled that one out the other morning and it shocked my 10 yo dd how few crackers it was. She actually made me show her on the box--after she read it herself--to double check. I haven't used it ongoing, but that's what I really should do.

make-ups. yup, that's been an issue here too.

If crackers are that important, they'll be willing to spend their pocket money on them.

:)

Rosie- who's mother pulled that trick on her too. I did without :)

I agree - if they really must have crackers, can you make them spend their own money on them? There are certain snack items that I won't generally buy for my kids - if they really must have them, they can use their very limited resources to buy them.

I've quit buying them since I'm trying to improve our diet. So now I make ours. Granted they aren't as tasty as the puchased ones but I can pronounce every ingredient. Wheat (or rye or any other flour you like), oil, salt, water, and seasoning. I have made garlic wheat and caraway rye. They don't last long either but they are much cheaper than the ones in the store.

Here's the one I've used.

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--1973/homemade-crackers.asp

You're baiting me, ain't ya? :D

Have you read a Ritz cracker box? Salt-sugar-fat. It's what they are all about.

Stop-the-madness!!! :tongue_smilie:

Bill (focused like laser beam on you! :lol:)

Baby steps Bill..... baby steps....

I went from buying cheap white bread to making my own, with honey instead of sugar even. Now you want me to make them give up crackers too???

:tongue_smilie:

(only 1/2 joking - i'm really doing a slow change here, and saltines are the only "junk" snacks i'm currently buying)

I've quit buying them since I'm trying to improve our diet. So now I make ours. Granted they aren't as tasty as the puchased ones but I can pronounce every ingredient. Wheat (or rye or any other flour you like), oil, salt, water, and seasoning. I have made garlic wheat and caraway rye. They don't last long either but they are much cheaper than the ones in the store.

Thanks for this link, i'm going to try them!

Crackers are a fairly useless food. They offer zilch in the way of nutritional value and, on their own, aren't filling. That in and of itself should convince you not to waste money on them. One day they'll thank you for breaking their addiction to snack junk. (Or maybe not. But who cares? It's the right thing to do.)

Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm compelled to post this addendum. When I was cooking dinner earlier, I checked my cupboards and noted one box of Ryvita and two boxes of Finn Crisp stored therein.

Whew. Now I can go to bed with a clear conscience.;)

Cool. I didn't know you could make your own crackers...might have to try this out! :)

(as I have a dd12 who can polish off an entire box of cheese ritz bits in one day!)

Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm compelled to post this addendum. When I was cooking dinner earlier, I checked my cupboards and noted one box of Ryvita and two boxes of Finn Crisp stored therein.

Whew. Now I can go to bed with a clear conscience.;)

Ahhh. Now all we need is a bit of smoked salmon and a couple of capers.

Heaven, I tell you.

:D