Menu

Holzmann's blog- Where might this lead for Sonlight?

Catholic schools and evolution

In the United States, Catholic schools teach evolution, not theistic evolution, as part of their science curriculum. They teach the fact that evolution occurs and the modern evolutionary synthesis, which is the scientific theory that explains why evolution occurs. This is the same evolution curriculum that secular schools teach. Catholic schools do teach theistic evolution in their religion classes though. Bishop DiLorenzo of Richmond, chair of the Committee on Science and Human Values in a December 2004 letter sent to all U.S. bishops: "...Catholic schools should continue teaching evolution as a scientific theory backed by convincing evidence. At the same time, Catholic parents whose children are in public schools should ensure that their children are also receiving appropriate catechesis at home and in the parish on God as Creator. Students should be able to leave their biology classes, and their courses in religious instruction, with an integrated understanding of the means God chose to make us who we are."

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_and_the_Roman_Catholic_Church

...if this is a true statement about Catholics. This may be a spin off so forgive me, but can I hear from other Catholics about this? I'm Catholic but I always felt it was silly to take a side on the issue. So I'm sitting here scratching my head over the debate. I always believed God created the world and everything in it, period. It's not for us to question how he did it, just know and have faith that he did. And where does intelligent design fit in with all this? Is that the same as creationism, evolution or a mixture of both?

I confess, it has been difficult lately researching science curricula since many in the homeschool market has made this a big deal. Honestly, it's confusing!!! I'm drawn to Sonlight Science because it seems to give both sides by using the Usborne books and extensive notes in their instructor guides. Since there is a debate, I like the idea of understanding where each is coming from.

I was Catholic until 2005 (now I'm Eastern Orthodox). Every Catholic I knew believed in theistic evolution (God created the world through evolution). Since then I have met a few old-earth creationists, but no young-earth creationists that are Catholic. I myself am a theistic evolutionist.

I posted below that I don't understand Erica's perspective, but having read her most recent post, and this one from Jill, it's clearer to me. And the more I think about it, the more I think you two are right. The fact remains that CHEC has a right to operate however they want to operate. I do happent to think that they're sending a message as to what they consider "Christian enough", but that's their right. Imo their making a bad name for themselves and for Christianity in general, but the fact that I disagree certainly doesn't mean that my choice should be imposed upon them any more than theirs should be imposed on me.

I wonder what say their membership has in this though? Is this a top-down decision being imposed on the membership?

Regardless, certainly they have the right. That doesn't mean it IS right however.

Can I ask what the difference is between old-earth creationism and theistic evolution? I am confused. I understand old earth vs. young earth creationism.

Old Earth creationism is basically outlined in the creation accounts in Genesis. As it was written, so it happened.

Theistic Evolution is basically evolution just that a person thinks God started the process in the beginning.

Evolutionary Creationism is a term emerging in protestant evangelical circles. Its focus is on God as creator but acknowledges evolution as the means of creation. Scripture is taken very seriously in this group and there are a growing number of books and blogs on the subject. I'd highly recommend Beyond the Firmament by Glover if you are interested. I'd further recommend a video series that Glover is posting on God Tube, U Tube and his own blog. It is a series addressed to Christian Educators. Here's the description line for the series

"How should the natural sciences be taught by Christian educators? These 16 lessons approach the subject from a position that respects both the authority of scripture and the integrity of the scientific method. For more information, or to get this series on DVD, please visit www.beyondthefirmament.com."

I believe the first 10 of the 16 video clips are available on God Tube here. Each clip is about 10 minutes. They are very good and I have appreciated finding them.

What I've seen in my immediate neighborhood is that the more moderate Christians (i.e. evolution-believing) are starting to retreat to the secular homeschooling groups to escape this. I'm lucky enough to be living in a heavily-Catholic area, so I at least have some options.

This is definitely happening in Colorado. I went to the CHEC conference three or four years, and watched it progress from "Christian" to Fundamentalist, holier-than-thou Christian. Same thing happened to my local group. They even re-wrote the statement of faith so Catholics could not sign it. I think this is sad.

I do think CHEC has the right to do whatever they deem best as an organization, but I am still appalled and horrified at what they have chosen to do. They are turning off a lot of prospective homeschoolers that will now probably turn to the handful of virtual charter schools in the state.

Here's the problem. Do I want to hear a speaker, or speakers, that represent an organization that wouldn't agree with how I want to teach?

Many books that are incredible, especially as we enter Ancient History, are "secular". I would say that SWB's books could be considered neutral, or perhaps secular. Also, those books that I'm striving for my children to read are "secular." As I look over Omnibus and Classical Conversations and Veritas Press' line-ups for books, I see a ton of "secular". I can approach Math with God in Mind, because he is the Author of all Logic, but I'm fine using whatever Math book is best for my children. I don't need anything like a bible verse or moral lesson on the page. (World View of History is what I'm most concerned about.)

Hmmmm...I'm wondering if they want me, a Conservative Christian..to feel excluded. (I'm a pro-life, young earth, did I say Conservative Christian.) I believe in Order of the family, Organic Living....etc....

I love Sonlight. I don't use it, but I know it would have been the best curriculum for me, when I was homeschooled in highschool.

I don't mind reading books about Evolution and explaining what we believe...and explaining what those who don't believe in God believe....(Same about Old Earth versus New Earth..."This is what we believe" but...I know that however it happened matters...God made it happen that way(whatever God meant in Genesis is what I believe...I can just do so with my limited understanding)...SO, it's really not something to be upset about.)

Carrie:-)

Stepping up as a Catholic who does not believe in evolution on a grand scale. I lean more towards the young earth people (although I completely disagree with banning Sonlight for that reason). Seton, one of the largest Catholic home education providers, also teaches against the theory of evolution.

I am not surprised that many Catholic schools teach evolution as fact, because many Catholic schools are really no different than public schools.

Stepping up as a Catholic who does not believe in evolution on a grand scale. I lean more towards the young earth people (although I completely disagree with banning Sonlight for that reason). Seton, one of the largest Catholic home education providers, also teaches against the theory of evolution.

I am not surprised that many Catholic schools teach evolution as fact, because many Catholic schools are really no different than public schools.

'

Ah, that makes sense... the only Catholic friend of mine that doesn't teach the theory of evolution to her kids has them enrolled in Seton. All my other Catholic friends (as I said, me included) teach or will teach evolution.

I know very, very little about Catholic school but I'm surprised they are like public schools - one of my original reasons for homeschooling instead of sending my kids to Catholic school is that I prefer to teach them with secular materials and not have religion in every subject. I'm glad I was uninformed because I love homeschooling!(although my dh would still like to send them to Catholic School but he is respecting and supporting my decision)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Well, you may be right. I had a less-than-wonderful experience with CHEC which has undoubtedly colored my POV.

I guess what disturbs me is that many of these state conventions are the only chance home educators get to actually eyeball materials. When useful materials are excluded because of a position which many home educators find untenable, the whole community suffers. And when the state convention is sponsored by a state organization that home educators pay dues to (I'm not sure this is the case at CHEC but it is in many areas), the convention should be careful about excluding vendors over issues on which people of good will disagree.

SWB

I agree with Susan on this. In 2006 I took on the daunting task of coordinating BC CHEC's first annual homeschool convention (Susan was our speaker that year). As the coordinator, I saw the convention as a vehicle to serve the homeschool community. It's so backward when an organization that was created to serve people begins to serve the organization. I see this sort of thing creep into so many Christian organizations, and it breaks my heart. The organization is for the people, not the other way around.

Just my $.02.

Lori

After a summer of reading through the arguments, I am drawn to now accepting the idea of Evolutionary Creationism- a position I never would have dreamed of a few years back....But as the co-owner of Sonlight, I have to wonder if how his company would be received by the Christian homeschooling community if it actually carried books (again written by evangelicals) that countered young earth creationism? If his company took a hit for carrying Usborne books, would it be inviting trouble by carrying books by Christian authors who consider the alternatives to the young earth position? But on the other hand, shouldn't Christian companies account for diversity in Christian views?

Thoughts?

After much thought and study I have ended up a theistic evolutionist. I think it would be quite refreshing to see other views represented within the Christian community. There seems to be a popular theme, though, of exclusion rather than inclusion--as evidenced by attitudes that you're only a real Christian if you believe X and not Y. A simple belief in Christ as savior isn't enough of a definition for some folks. For example, the idea that one must accept the Bible as infallible (and literal?) is an idea that many hold as a test to separate "real" Christians from "fake" ones. This is where the whole evolution debate comes from, right? Edited by Veritaserum
clarification

I think the Catholic schools teach evolution because they strive to provide excellence in academics, which, for many, means to teach science as scientists see it. This does not mean that they do not point out the that God is the author of it all. I was taught evolution in a Catholic school, but was taught that it was the scientific viewpoint and that God's hand is not provable by any known scientific method, but we accept that on faith.

Seton's position on science is precisely why I did not want to use them for our homeschool. I was shocked to see that several Catholic homeschooling companies teach a young earth position and to criticize any other interpretation as being un-Catholic. Clearly not the teaching of the Church.

Seton's position on science is precisely why I did not want to use them for our homeschool. I was shocked to see that several Catholic homeschooling companies teach a young earth position and to criticize any other interpretation as being un-Catholic. Clearly not the teaching of the Church.

I was raised in Catholic schools (gr1-8) and I don't remember being taught evolution as fact?

As an adult, I left the RC church and accepted Jesus as my Savior and the free gift of salvation by grace and no works or human effort (and the Bible as God's infallible Word of Truth) and I now teach and believe the Creation account as given in the Bible. I have studied the case for evolution and found too many unexplained areas to accept it as fact.

I am wondering what other 40-somethings who were raised Catholic remember as to the science teachings of their Catholic grade schools?

Lisa

:iagree:

To call oneself a statewide Christian organization and exclude the views of a large percentage of the Christians in the state is inappropriate. Something similar is happening in IL with our statewide Christian organization. Viewpoints other than what is mentioned above are not welcome.

One of the most interesting thoughts I've had is a literal 7 day creation, but not one day after another. One day...and then time...Second day...and then more...all the way until the Seventh.

I am totally willing to accept (and do) a literal 7 day creation, because of the words in the original, but am intrigued by what's allowed within the literal understanding of "7 days". Of course, since I believe that God's word is perfect, whatever HE meant...is what I want to believe...But isn't it interesting that you can believe exactly what He said, and still have differences?:tongue_smilie:

And...I still like Sonlight!

This is the first I'd heard of this. No matter what you think of the issue, I think home educators ought to be absolutely indignant about the CHEC position.

SWB

I've never even looked at Sonlight or heard of the CHEC but this position sounds absurd. Then again I tend to get pretty annoyed by "my way and no other" attitudes. :)

I was shocked to see that several Catholic homeschooling companies teach a young earth position and to criticize any other interpretation as being un-Catholic. Clearly not the teaching of the Church.

Just curious...which companies are you talking about? I suspected Seton did since it allowed Apologia in their middle grades, but I don't think Kolbe does. I don't believe Catholic Heritage Curricula does (but I've only seen up to 3rd grade). What other companies teach the young earth position?

I was raised in Catholic schools (gr1-8) and I don't remember being taught evolution as fact?

As an adult, I left the RC church and accepted Jesus as my Savior and the free gift of salvation by grace and no works or human effort (and the Bible as God's infallible Word of Truth) and I now teach and believe the Creation account as given in the Bible. I have studied the case for evolution and found too many unexplained areas to accept it as fact.

I am wondering what other 40-somethings who were raised Catholic remember as to the science teachings of their Catholic grade schools?

Lisa

Nope, it was never taught as fact but just a theory. Science was always taught as a way to understand and appreciate God's creation. Again, the Church's view is that how God did it is not up for question. We just need to have faith that he alone created it and praise Him for doing so. This is the way it's still taught, I believe. Personally, I think this whole topic is just a way Satan uses to create further division among Christians. Who cares how God did it? It's just simply so amazing that He did it at all in the first place.

While Kolbe does use more mainstream high school texts, they did include a text that speaks out against evolution.

Regina Coeli also uses Apologia in high school.

Catholic Heritage Curricula does not have a fleshed out science curriculum for high school, but does seem to lean against current science thinking based upon the description of one of the recommended books, the Politically-Incorrect Guide to Science.

You already mentioned Seton. What other Catholic curriculum providers am I missing?

One of the most interesting thoughts I've had is a literal 7 day creation, but not one day after another. One day...and then time...Second day...and then more...all the way until the Seventh.

I am totally willing to accept (and do) a literal 7 day creation, because of the words in the original, but am intrigued by what's allowed within the literal understanding of "7 days". Of course, since I believe that God's word is perfect, whatever HE meant...is what I want to believe...But isn't it interesting that you can believe exactly what He said, and still have differences?:tongue_smilie:

Yes, it is interesting, which is why I enjoy the option to decide for oneself and family. I don't want someone else telling me I'm not Christian enough if I don't subscribe to the "approved" theory or use the "right" curriculum.

To me, the Bible was handed done orally for many, MANY, years before ink was even put to paper. Then, God used imperfect humans to spread His word followed by several translations later during the early Church. And just think about the numerous versions we have on the market today. So while I do believe it was divinely inspired, I struggle in believing a literal interpretation.

I don't think there is any harm in learning both theories and praying God reveals the correct one when I hopefully meet Him some day in Heaven.

Oops...wanted to mention that I got this "idea" from a well known author... of course, I'm sure that it's not his original thought, either. BUT, I wasn't smart enough to think of it myself....

While Kolbe does use more mainstream high school texts, they did include a text that speaks out against evolution.

Regina Coeli also uses Apologia in high school.

Catholic Heritage Curricula does not have a fleshed out science curriculum for high school, but does seem to lean against current science thinking based upon the description of one of the recommended books, the Politically-Incorrect Guide to Science.

You already mentioned Seton. What other Catholic curriculum providers am I missing?

Hmm...Our Lady of Victory and Mother of Divine Grace, although I have not checked out their science programs. My kiddos are young so we haven't made it past 3rd grade but I'm starting to really research my science options for future years.

Perhaps I do. I received an excellent education from a Catholic elementary school, at least from a math, science, grammar, and reading perspective. Not so much on the literature and history and catechesis perspective. Our parish school may not be the top rated school in the area, but a large percentage of the kids go on to competetive universities.

My opposition to school has to do with the toxic social environment, even within a very spiritually strong Catholic school. It has to do with warehousing children in an environment where the mean can prey on the "weak" whenever an adult is not looking. And it starts even younger these days.

After much thought and study I have ended up a theistic evolutionist. I think it would be quite refreshing to see other views represented within the Christian community... A simple belief in Christ as savior isn't enough of a definition for some folks. For example, the idea that one must accept the Bible as infallible (and literal?) is an idea that many hold as a test to separate "real" Christians from "fake" ones. This is where the whole evolution debate comes from, right?

The infallibility issue may seem to be the main issue that Christians have with evolution but I don't think it needs to be. I think a more serious concern for Christians is that accepting evolution as a working theory can lead to humanistic or godless philosophies. Often the term evolutionist assumes such ideas. This is why I much prefer the term Evolutionary Creationist.

After formally accepting a Young Earth position, I have now come around to the Evolutionary Creationist view point, but I still believe the Bible is infallible and inerrant in its original language. I just consider context to be important. I think that God used the current science of the time to reveal astonishing truths about himself to the Ancient Hebrews. He uses their understanding of the cosmos (geocentrism, water over the dome of the sky and water under the earth etc.) to communicate timeless truths about Himself. Specifically that He is the ONE God of creation. This idea of monotheism was a radical concept in Ancient times. It makes so much sense that God would accommodate the limited scientific understanding at that point in time to communicate Himself to His people.

That said, I fear that we Christians are too quick to condemn other views. What about humility? What about maintaining a teachable heart before the Lord and before our brethren?

History shows us that the Catholic church was wrong when Galileo was put under house arrest. Very few people now believe that the sun revolves around the Earth (although there are over 60 verses in scripture that support geocentrism!). It took hundreds of years for that mess to sort out and the Catholic church seems to have learned a big lesson.

Are Evangelicals making a very similar mistake by not taking a hard look at the issue of evolution? Are we needlessly putting a hindrance before the gospel? Do scientists rule out the Bible (and the gospel) because of evolution? Are we Christians telling scientists that they must abandon a working theory (evolution) that has gained more and more scientific support throughout the last 150 years in order to become believers? What if organizations like AIG and ICR are not communicating all the details? How much money have these organizations made off of their Young Earth materials? Are we keeping our children from becoming scientists because we fear evolution? These are questions that I would like to see addressed by thoughtful evangelicals.

Are there other evangelical protestant believers who have come to accept the theory of evolution as the best working theory that Biology has right now? I wonder how alone I am.

In NC, the state conference does not have any speakers that relate to me. I do feel excluded and I will not support the organization with my money. That is a shame because homeschoolers really need to stick together on the real issue, protecting the right to homeschool. Divided we will be conquered.

Are Evangelicals making a very similar mistake by not taking a hard look at the issue of evolution? Are we needlessly putting a hindrance before the gospel? Do scientists rule out the Bible (and the gospel) because of evolution? Are we Christians telling scientists that they must abandon a working theory (evolution) that has gained more and more scientific support throughout the last 150 years in order to become believers? What if organizations like AIG and ICR are not communicating all the details? How much money have these organizations made off of their Young Earth materials? Are we keeping our children from becoming scientists because we fear evolution? These are questions that I would like to see addressed by thoughtful evangelicals.

I know this is a big issue for my brother. He tends to view religious folks as close-minded and absurdly slow to entertain new ideas.

I think you're on to something WRT to some folks resisting the theory of evolution due to the fear that it would lead some away from God. I personally gained testimony when I pondered Genesis and evolution. I read nothing in Genesis that excludes the possibility of evolution. Phrases like "the water brought forth life abundantly" even seem to prove evolution from my perspective. :)

In my congregation I bet you'd find slightly more strict creationists (young or old earth) than theistic evolutionists, but those of us who think it's likely God used evolution aren't looked upon as heathens, either. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest lifeadventure

I was deeply disturbed about CHEC not allowing Sonlight to be an official vendor at the conference this summer.

I hope that the Christian community could be trusted to evaluate curriculum, and not have it censored. This level of censorship and banning of books reminds me of the church in the Middle Ages.

Isn't the Christian community bigger than the young earth crowd? I always thought that the mark of a Christian was love, not a belief in exactly how old the earth is. Is this young earth belief the secret handshake of the home school crowd? If so, please let this one go. This should not be a defining mark of a person who is a Christian!

I was deeply disturbed about CHEC not allowing Sonlight to be an official vendor at the conference this summer.

I hope that the Christian community could be trusted to evaluate curriculum, and not have it censored. This level of censorship and banning of books reminds me of the church in the Middle Ages.

Isn't the Christian community bigger than the young earth crowd? I always thought that the mark of a Christian was love, not a belief in exactly how old the earth is. Is this young earth belief the secret handshake of the home school crowd? If so, please let this one go. This should not be a defining mark of a person who is a Christian!

First post and resurrecting a very old controversial post?

To be fair... if you were to google "Sonlight banned," this post comes up on the first page. So, maybe this person was just looking for information on why Sonlight got banned from her conference and wanted to join a discussion about it.

Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt...

To be fair... if you were to google "Sonlight banned," this post comes up on the first page. So, maybe this person was just looking for information on why Sonlight got banned from her conference and wanted to join a discussion about it.

Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt...

Or they were looking at the conference thread that is stickied at the top of the forum and this was at the bottom as a related thread. That happens a lot with the dead thread resurrections.

First post and resurrecting a very old controversial post?

Didn't you start out with one post at some point?

Didn't we all?

The only new posters that concern me are the ones that are polling for information about what religion everyone is, what their stance is on evolution, etc. and then POOF - they disappear never to post again. No one ever seems to notice them, and "throw up" personal information all over the place.

I wonder how many d@mning homeschool articles this place has spawned.

asta