Menu

Is Disney's Club Penquin a safe website for kids?

my kids discovered it last month. I checked it out first, and it seems really safe, and is very monitored. You can even set it so your child can only speak using pre-made phrases and can only see children with the same setting...insuring that nothing mean can be said. We didn't chose that option, but so far no problems. We are doing the free membership.

Disney bought it from the creators, who wanted a safe place for their kids to play and socialize.

It seems to be pretty harmless :) ..dd12 plays on there - she loves it when she ends up on with friends from back home (we moved 2 months ago across country) and they can all chat and play games and such....

Questions *can* get asked and answered though - just yesterday, dd12 asked me if it was okay to tell a boy what grade she was in... like anything, you're best to talk about what you feel is okay for your child to answer, share, etc.

Heh. We have an ongoing joke in the house...she'll walk away (get a drink, whatever) and leave her penguin sitting somewhere...I'll sneak on and start "walking" around yelling in caps " I LOVE EGGPLANT!" .... :tongue_smilie:

I checked it out last year when my students wanted to visit it and found it to be very cute and safe. I was greatly amused by the 13-year-old boys in my class who enjoyed it so much but wouldn't admit to their 15-year-old brothers that they did! It was a nice change to see them getting pleasure out of something wholesome!

There's an article about it in this month's Good Housekeeping. A mom went "undercover" on the site to see what it was like. She said that although they don't allow certain words in the chat, kids find ways around it (but the moderators do update it a lot). She also wrote that there was a disturbing amount of "dating" on the site (she was asked by another user if she would be his girlfriend). The "dating" thing would be the only thing that bothered me. I don't really let my kids on social websites...my oldest does chat on msn messenger with her friend that she knows in real life.

On another note...I wouldn't trust something just because it's Disney. Of course, I find the Disney Channel really irritating, and the relentless way they market to kids drives me crazy.

There's an article about it in this month's Good Housekeeping. A mom went "undercover" on the site to see what it was like. She said that although they don't allow certain words in the chat, kids find ways around it (but the moderators do update it a lot). She also wrote that there was a disturbing amount of "dating" on the site (she was asked by another user if she would be his girlfriend). The "dating" thing would be the only thing that bothered me. I don't really let my kids on social websites...my oldest does chat on msn messenger with her friend that she knows in real life.

On another note...I wouldn't trust something just because it's Disney. Of course, I find the Disney Channel really irritating, and the relentless way they market to kids drives me crazy.

I certainly wouldn't trust it because it was Disney, but I have found it to be very safe. My son has never heard of any "dating" or anything like that. :-) He has really enjoyed it and uses his precious few computer minutes here. My kids say that there really isn't hardly ever any chatting going on.

My kids have played Club Penguin off & on for the past couple years, and I've played with them at times because they insisted, LOL. It is safe, especially if you require your dc to play on the servers marked with the chat bubble (which indicates "ultimate safe chat") - on those servers they cannot type messages to other penguins, they can only use predefined messages. There used to be more "dating" prior to Disney's purchase of the site, and lots of other kinds of role playing (playing "school" and "adopting" other penguins were popular) -- these days I haven't really seen much of it, but that may be because there are SO many more members now.

It seems to be pretty harmless :) ..dd12 plays on there - she loves it when she ends up on with friends from back home (we moved 2 months ago across country) and they can all chat and play games and such....

Questions *can* get asked and answered though - just yesterday, dd12 asked me if it was okay to tell a boy what grade she was in... like anything, you're best to talk about what you feel is okay for your child to answer, share, etc.

Heh. We have an ongoing joke in the house...she'll walk away (get a drink, whatever) and leave her penguin sitting somewhere...I'll sneak on and start "walking" around yelling in caps " I LOVE EGGPLANT!" .... :tongue_smilie:

My ds gave his password to a female friend. She occasionally goes on his account, plays games and buys his penguin girly items. So when my ds is on CP and leaves the computer unattended, I dress his penguin up like a girl and have it say something silly.

being on penguin club has strengthened my son's spelling and typing and gave him the final push into fluid reading for pleasure. I'm pretty pleased about that.

Today, 2 of my kids were on before heading to the skateboard park for p.e.- it was around 10 a.m. and I am guessing the kids on were probably homeschoolers, I found the humor and talking to be quirky and imaginative- I was getting a kick out of the things they were saying. someone shouted out for everyone to come to one edge of the iceberg so they could tip it, then someone asked if they had done the calculations for that..it was cute.

someone shouted out for everyone to come to one edge of the iceberg so they could tip it, then someone asked if they had done the calculations for that..it was cute.

:lol:

I've wondered - CAN they tip that dang thing? I don't know how many times I've seen dd12 on there and they're all trying to tip it...penguins are arguing as to whether it will, and there's always some saying "yes! I saw it before!" ...but neither I nor dd12 have *ever* seen it tip.... :glare:

Here's a review from dd12:

Club Penguin is quite a fun place to play on! You can type whatever you want on it and you can get your own igloo but if you want to become a member you have to pay money. You can't have clothes unless you're a member or change your igloo. You can make friends & play games & go to your friend's house. You can buy a puffle. Puffles are like a pet that you can buy. Most people are nice. Watch out for people who try to love each other!!! Because that can happen!!! Just say goodbye or go away and if they are on your friends list delete them!!!

I asked her what she meant about people trying to "love each other" - she says they "bring up the heart sign" and "they'll be like asking you if you are taken" .....the b/f and g/f role playing thing - webkinz chat had the same problem with that at one time, before they changed it around....she just thinks it's dumb and goes to find someone else to play with. ;)