Menu

Another round of "You know you're a homeschooler when..."

.....your children start off Saturday morning in a bad mood because there was a fire in the library on Friday night.

Yes, it was closed. Yes, they were upset.

http://kxmc.com/News/Local/Grand%20Forks/320926.asp

Your three year old spends part of the day happily chanting the Greek alphabet just for fun!

Edited by Once

When your teenage son has a nightmare that he had to carry the globe all by himself...no, not the Earth, but the Globe Theatre during Shakespeare's time. hee hee!

When your then-four-year-old daughter tells someone, "This is 'three' in sign language," (holds up thumb and first two fingers) and then proceeds to say (holding up three other fingers), "...and THIS is 'three' in Spanish!"

Oh, my...

And who has kids who use the word "thrice"??? Too much Howard Pyle reading there.

...when your dc beg to go to the library rather than the amusement park.

...when your 8 yr old takes it upon herself to read a book to the younger dcs so Mommy can have a quick break.

...when your then 6 yr old dd corrects adults who use incorrect grammar. (we have stopped this before she upset anyone, but it was funny)

Next...

When your 3 year old is singing the definition of a noun in the backseat of the van while his 5 year old sister is teaching him the definition of a verb.....

When your 7 year old spends her allowance every two weeks on books (this week she bought Emma and Little Women, both complete unabridged no pictures) and then is torn as to which one to read first.....

When you happily spend Saturday night online researching curriculum options.....

It's a way of life in our house now!

When your 5 year correctly uses the term "hypothesis" to explain why she took an egg from Grandma's frig, wrapped it in her luggage to bring home to keep warm and safe and was upset when you didn't allow her to continue the experiment so she could see the "result".

When you happily spend Saturday night online researching curriculum options.....

Hehehe That was me last night. Not jsut curric either, but last night I finished researching all my school board options for next year and my registration options. (You have to register with a board in Alberta to homeschool)

Your 6 year spends his afternoon studying a US geography reference or the President list in the US history reference AND insists on telling every last detail he reads while you are trying desperately to finish something requiring your undivided attention.

Your 6 and 8 year olds collaborate on creating their very own Field Guide to Star Wars.

When your 8yo picks to read next years history book as a fun read and gets upset that he has to go to bed and can't finish it.

When you take your 9yo to visit his aunt in a public high school, and he is browsing her books and points out that the facts are actually incorrect. (It is an IB program and the kids were asking if he could stay.)

Your 5yo informs you, with a very serious face, that she is currently doing her Sudoku puzzle "very systematically". Great vocab for that one, being the youngest of 4 homeschooled kids.

Your oldest dd is into photography and her first stop-action photos series (60+ pictures where she moves the objects slightly and rephotographs them. You run the photos in rapid sequence so it looks like a film) theme is about "Naughty Waitresses". Before you panic that this is about H**ters waitresses, WAIT! The "bad" waitress gets killed by the customer who proceeds to then drag the body of the waitress behind her PollyPocket minivan. Psychologists (and most moms) would have a field day with this one. Homeschoolers woudl recognize that the kid has just read the Iliad and the Odyssey and is imitating Achilles dragging Hectors body behind the chariot. The 2nd and 3rd grader in our home immediately "got it".

When your 7 year old daughter:

....Wins the Co-op Spelling Bee, reaches into her prize bag and pulls out a $10 giftcard to Walmart and smiles. Then she reaches in again, pulls out a $10 gift certificate to Vintage Books, ( Local used book store ) and shouts with glee...."I LOVE THAT STORE!"

....Says to me, "Oh, your just being facetious!"

....Can't wait till Dad gets home so she can recite to him her latest memorized poem.