Menu

For a moment I thought the Queen was there

I didn't realize My Country 'Tis of Thee is sung to the same tune as God Save the Queen, so when Aretha started belting it out I was mighty confused.

It took me a few moments to realize Aretha was not singing MY lyrics, and I could sit back down :lol:

:smilielol5:

I didn't realize My Country 'Tis of Thee is sung to the same tune as God Save the Queen, so when Aretha started belting it out I was mighty confused.

It took me a few moments to realize Aretha was not singing MY lyrics, and I could sit back down :lol:

LOL! Okay, so the music choices are causing confusion all over (see my thread on Lord of the Dance)!

God Save the Queen is the same tune?!?! I had no idea. Imagine the gaff I would create singing along in a British colony! (oh, wait...)

I defected to the North side quite a while ago, but I still get confused when I hear that. It totally throws me off, but in the opposite way. I *hear* God Save the Queen, but I'm *thinking* My country 'tis of thee.

It would really help if someone picked a new song. :D

When Martin Luther King made his most famous speech, he quoted that song, and said that he looked forward to a time when it would really be true for all Americans (paraphrased). So to have it sung at the inaugeration of the first African American president, some 40 years later, was highly symbolic and very moving to me.

(BTW, we have yet another version in our hymnal. Lutherans sing "God Bless Our Native Land" to that tune. I don't actually know all the words to "My Country, Tis of Thee" (Blush)).

It's not. At least it's not supposed to be. Now I at least know what tune she was mixing it up with! I love that song. I love Aretha. I did not love what she did to that song! nt

Uh, yup.

. The only version I know is the Sex Pistols'.. uh, that's probably not the same, is it?