Menu

Do you have a favorite American History Curriculum?

iamrachelle

We will finish up SOTW 1 this year and while I should probably move right on in to SOTW2, or the equivalent time period in another curriculum, I am dying to do American History. I'll have a 4th grader and 1st grader next year and would like to find something that would work for both of them. Any suggestions?

I've looked at MFW but they recommend that you not use their stuff beyond ECC with 1st grade... I've thought about doing it anyway or American 1 with Winter's Promise.

If anyone has used either of these and can tell me how you liked it or offer another recommendation, I'm all:bigear:.

Thanks!!

I think Winter's Promise looks like a nicer curriculum. I have used MFW and didn't enjoy it that much during the Americna History year. They didn't have a whole lot scheduled for younger kids. Winter Promise looks much more promising. I prefer their book choices as well.

Michelle

Edited by Michelle My Bell

Can I tack a question on to your question while we're talking about American History curriculum? When is a good time to start teaching American history and government? In Canada I don't remember learning about government before 8th grade, while we did learn about geography early, and the history of the discovery of Canada sometime around the 6th grade. Here in the States it seems history and government are taught much earlier. Thanks for your help!

I would also recommend Winter Promise - American Story 1 and 2 are so much fun - the books are great and there are many hands-on things you can choose from (or not!), I'd just do the AS1 and add in a few harder readers/resources (SL 3-4 is a great resource for extra reading or from WP American Crossing) for your 4th grader. We appreciate WP's schedules, hands-on activities and books that appeal to kids of all ages.

HTh,

Edited by sandra in va

We used MFW Adventures awhile back. I added in alot of titles from WinterPromise's American Story 1 and some from 2. They were always our favorite books. I'll be using Sonlight Core 3 next year. I'll have a fifth grader and a second grader. Again, I plan to pull heavily from the WinterPromise books to add appropriate content for my second grader.

I've used MFW K, First Grade, Adventures and parts of ECC. I've also used WP Animals and Their Worlds. I like both. I think WP is more fun for the children. It's a great choice if you want most of your books chosen for you. MFW is good too but I never found it to be as "open and go" as some moms seem to have found it.

Both of them have very easy to follow IGs. We LOVED the Independent Learner's Guide that WP includes. And, I like to have alot of books already scheduled for me, so WP was great for that.

We will finish up SOTW 1 this year and while I should probably move right on in to SOTW2, or the equivalent time period in another curriculum, I am dying to do American History. I'll have a 4th grader and 1st grader next year and would like to find something that would work for both of them. Any suggestions?

I've looked at MFW but they recommend that you not use their stuff beyond ECC with 1st grade...

:confused1:

Either someone said it to you incorrectly, or you misunderstood. If your 1st grader is the OLDEST child in the family, it's not recommended to do any of the upper programs. But you have an 8yo and I think Adventures would be a fun year for your kids. We LOVED it here. :thumbup:

(I had a 10yo, 7yo, and 3yo at the time, btw. I added extra work for the 10yo, but it was perfect for the 7yo and fun for the 3yo in what little bits she did with us.)

:confused1:

Either someone said it to you incorrectly, or you misunderstood. If your 1st grader is the OLDEST child in the family, it's not recommended to do any of the upper programs. But you have an 8yo and I think Adventures would be a fun year for your kids. We LOVED it here. :thumbup:

(I had a 10yo, 7yo, and 3yo at the time, btw. I added extra work for the 10yo, but it was perfect for the 7yo and fun for the 3yo in what little bits she did with us.)

:iagree: We love Adventures here too!

(SL 3-4 is a great resource for extra reading or from WP American Crossing) for your 4th grader. We appreciate WP's schedules, hands-on activities and books that appeal to kids of all ages.

HTh,

WP has an LA program for practically every grade level for American History. You could have readers on the right level for both of your DC from that.

WP is not a secular company, but their American History programs are. They have a separate religious component that you can leave out. For 4th grade you are between their two programs. For a young 4th grader, I would go with The American Story I, for an advanced, I might go with American Crossing 1. I would probably get the older American Story program used (resale is allowed on IG before 2007). It is not geared as young as the new one. American History takes two years if you do it all as scheduled. Putting both together into one year is like SL with projects. I know some have done this and skipped the projects.

LA: Many users love it. It is not based on a classical model, but meets every other standard very well, and easy to use. I have seen many good reviews of the LA program.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like WP wins the popular vote. How IS the WP language arts curriculum? We're using Rod & Staff this year, and while it is very thorough, it's a bit on the dry side. I've considered changing but would like to find something fun AND challenging.

Their language arts curriculum isn't seamless and wonderful like their history is. At least not in fourth grade:) It's some grammar and writing workbooks that ime are far below the quality of the rest of their materials (think workbooks you'd pick up at BN/borders/sam's club) along with their own additional worksheets in the TG. I used it at first but have ditched it for WWE and FLL.

K

Sounds like WP wins the popular vote. How IS the WP language arts curriculum? We're using Rod & Staff this year, and while it is very thorough, it's a bit on the dry side. I've considered changing but would like to find something fun AND challenging.

We have used WP LA for grades 1 and 2. It is challenging and fun for the readers and the creative writing component. The grammar is a bit gentle, especially compared to R&S. They use a lot of EPS published materials (makers of Explode the Code and SpellWell) for vocabulary, spelling and grammar. I like the LA and plan to continue with it for the long haul.

We have done Animals and Their Worlds (our first grade year) and are on week 24 of American Story 1 for our second grade year. IMHO WinterPromise best fits with what I learned in Elem Ed Methods classes in college... it suits a variety of learning styles. It's visually, auditorially, and kinesthetically appealing. Classical, not so much, but still I feel it's a great program.

Is WP secular?

How much time does it take per week?

I'm looking at doing a year of American history with my 4th grader next year.

TIA!

The Brooks, who write the WP programs, are a Christian family. Many of the materials are secular. American Story 1 is secular with the exception of the Bible resources.

The time per week will depend on what level the child is studying and how many hands-on activities you use. WITHOUT the LA (readers and creative writing component of the theme), I spend about 30 min. per day four days per week.

WP's American History course is a two year course. For a one year overview you may need to look elsewhere. (SL 3+4? Or Bigger Hearts for His Glory from Heart of Dakota).

I guess with the read-aloud (I tend not to think of that as part of history... examples are Ben and Me and Little House on the Prairie), it would be 30 min. of just reading. I split it up throughout the day though.

It would depend on the fourth grader, I suppose. AS1 is typically considered easier than Core 3, so some fourth graders will have a light year if they use just that. Next week, we are reading only in Little House on the Prairie, Trail of Tears, American Story (one story), and If You Lived with the Sioux (5 pages). IMO this is pretty light for many fourth graders.

Sometimes you can find the old 2006 version of AS1's IG, and it schedules DK American History Ency, which is a much meatier spine. (we aren't using that one with my 2nd grader, but I would definitely want to with a 4th grader). Since the Ency is chronological it would be a pretty easy-to-pace supplement if you like it.

My 4th gr dd is enjoying WP AC so much, and it's such a perfect fit for the age, that I'd definitely suggest you lean that way. The TT stuff is SO cool, and you wouldn't get that doing WP AS. Like the others said, if you had an old edition of AS using the DK encyclopedia, that would be one thing. But, barring any issues (reading level, writing skills, something like that?), I'd definitely lean toward AC with a 4th gr girl. It's SO spot-on for the age. :)

Oh, you'd then do either AA or just do AC and add on a few of the AS books for your younger. If have no opinion on the better of those two options, just a strong opinion that the TT stuff in AC is a fabulous fit for a 4th gr girl and not to be missed. :)

I fell in love with AS1 and the books in it. I previewed them at the book store. I also had a look at Time Travelers.

I don't see how AC1 would be perfect for most 9 year olds if it is used with Jr. High students.

My DD is a handful and I do not picture her doing much independently. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

AS1 will be our first full history curriculum as the plans are now.

I plan to do AC1 later, combining the two kiddos.

We'll see :)

My son is tearing through an old book called "This Country of Ours" by H.E. Marshall that you can find here:

http://manybooks.net/titles/marshallheetext03cours10.html

He's not a big fan of lots of reading but can never seem to wait for our history days. We're making do with that since we don't have Volume 4 of SotW for him. He also listens in when little brother does Volume 1.

Hope this helps,

Heidi