Menu

Raise your hand if you do not require your dc to do copywork or dictation.

rafiki

We don't do it either... sort of...

Explanation: my ds has trouble remembering math facts and somewhere on these boards someone had mentioned a book that was math copywork. Well, I'm too cheap to buy the book when I can just do that myself. So, I use whatever facts we are on in Saxon and have him do copywork "drills" for facts he doesn't know. We haven't been doing this very long, yet it does seem to be helping.

Other than that, I agree that it's naught but fluffy busywork. One argument for it that I see, is that it instills the qualities of good literature in children's minds. I don't think so. READING good literature does that.

Oh, I think I'm going to get negative rep for having said that, though. :rolleyes:

Well, I did ask my 6yo to write a grocery list for me that I dictated while doing dishes. See if you can figure out what I was supposed to buy:

choklit

bandeed

cofy

colrd paapr

peeda bred

hotogs

kerats

cheez

egs

I guess the copy work that he has to do is the HWOT booklets. Otherwise we don't do separate copywork or dictation.

We've experimented with some copywork, but never bothered with dictation. I don't have any really good reason why not. Mostly, we just never got around to it, I guess.

I started assigning my daughter copywork before I even read TWTM, thinking it was my own brilliant idea to help her learn cursive. She had gone through a couple of workbooks that taught her how to form the letters, but just couldn't seem to put it into practice, either to read or to write. She was really into poety and fairies at the time. So, I came up with the idea of writing out a stanza or two each day of a poem about fairies and having her "translate" it and then copy it out. We did it for about a month, as I recall, by which time she had the "aha!" experience and got over the hump. We abandoned it after that, once she was confidently writing her daily assignments in cursive.

Last year, I tried working copywork into my son's regular schedule, but he just hated it so much and it became such a flashpoint in our lives that I eventually decided it wasn't worth it. We may try again next year, since I'm determined to get him writing in cursive then.

I don't know: Maybe if I had kids who seemed to benefit from or need this kind of exercise, I'd make it a priority. But I can't think of anything it would teach that we're not already covering elsewhere.

--Jenny

Half raised here. They do get the SWR lists dictated to them. Sometimes I will dictate a sentence at the end of the spelling lists. Other than that they do not do any dictation. As far as copy work goes, other than learning their letters in the beginning they have never done it.

They do on the other hand have a "ton" of memory work memorized :D

My DS is dyslexic/LD's, and we use Apples and Pears spelling (great program for dyslexics!) It relies heavily on copying and dictation of spelling words, which really does the trick for DS's spelling abilities.

Beyond that, we don't do any sort of copywork or dictation. Truthfully, it always sounded like busywork to me, but I know that both classical and Charlotte Mason homeschooling includes both.

Michelle T

I can not be alone here. I didn't do it for the first two years with my oldest, I tried it this year with both because "there must be something my kids were missing in not doing it", and it still seems like "busy work".

Busy work? Oh my! LOL!

I am pretty die hard about dictation especially in the early years, but my kids do very little writing outside of dictation and we simply do one sentence a day from the SL LA I bought for my oldest, in other words it is easy and at hand.

All my kids also have motor skill issues, so it is another way to work on handwriting too.

But also realize I don't do grammar or writing in the younger years, nor do we do workbooks outside of ETC. The kids really don't get much writing, so dictation becomes a way to cover it all in one simple exercise.

My 6yo, for instance, is doing a page in ETC (front or back, not both), one sentence of dictation, one page in her handwriting book and writing her phonograms in sand daily. She doesn't do much to any writing for math (RS), science or history.

But now that I have a 4th grader who is doing several separate pieces for LA with lots of writing and who doesn't have any problem forming a correct sentence, I am questioning whether we should continue or not, at lest with dictation. Her need is probably more in the category of copywork because her handwriting is less than ideal. :rolleyes: If she can improve her handwriting I probably wouldn't even do that. Hmmmm...challenge her maybe?

I don't think it is something to feel guilty about if you don't do it. I like it because, for me, it covers a lot at once, so I don't have to do a bunch of programs. If you feel more comfortable having separate spelling, grammar, phonics, ect...then those will work just as well and you don't need dictation.

Heather

Guest Motherof3Boys1Girl
Well, I did ask my 6yo to write a grocery list for me that I dictated while doing dishes. See if you can figure out what I was supposed to buy:

choklit

bandeed

cofy

colrd paapr

peeda bred

hotogs

kerats

cheez

egs

I guess the copy work that he has to do is the HWOT booklets. Otherwise we don't do separate copywork or dictation.

I'm going to guess

chocolate

bandaids

coffee

colored paper

pita bread

hotdogs

carrots

cheese

eggs.

am i right?

choklit

bandeed

cofy

colrd paapr

peeda bred

hotogs

kerats

cheez

egs

I like your priorities here. Chocolate and coffee at the top, carrots way down there on the bottom. Just the way it should be :D

I can not be alone here. I didn't do it for the first two years with my oldest, I tried it this year with both because "there must be something my kids were missing in not doing it", and it still seems like "busy work".

They both seem to absorb decent style, spelling and punctuation from reading.

Laura