Menu

If someone sent you a rather large gift check...

I would call them on the phone to discuss in person. As in - hi, we received the gift for the kids, my goodness thank you for your generosity (pause for their response). You know, I should tell you - there is XYZ on the check and I don't think we can cash it because of ABC....(long pause wait for them to offer to re-send another check)

What's the mistake? Have you talked to the bank about it?

I was wondering too if it really was significant enough that the bank would refuse it.

Seems like these days, you can sign your checks "Scooby Doo" and they go through just fine.

Take the check to the bank and talk to a teller in person and see if it is even a problem.

And no matter what, you have to write a "thank-you note", but you already know that...:lol: :D

What's the mistake? Have you talked to the bank about it?

ITA, if you haven't already done this. My grandmother writes the DD6 and DD3 checks in their own names (spelled incorrectly, to boot). They don't have their own bank accounts yet, and they couldn't sign their names if they did. DH just signs them For Deposit Only and His Name (guardian of minor child), or something like that, and we never have problems.

The numerical amount doesn't match the written amount. And there isn't any room for me to squeeze in the forgotten "twenty-five" because I would've if I could've. :tongue_smilie:

I was surprised too, but this is a federal credit union and I think they are fairly persnickety.

Jo

My grandmother wrote a check to a charity for $15 in the number boxes and the words forty dollars written on the line. The charity cashed it and got the forty dollars. My understanding was in case of discrepancy, the bank goes with the amount written out on the line but I could be wrong there.

I'd just give the person a call and say "Thank you SO much, this is totally awesome of you -but.... we might have a problem cashing it....did you know that you wrote two different numbers?"

I'd imagine the other person would prolly say something like "I did? Oh my goodness, sorry! If they won't cash it, let me know so I can send a new one!"

:)

The numerical amount doesn't match the written amount. And there isn't any room for me to squeeze in the forgotten "twenty-five" because I would've if I could've. :tongue_smilie:

I was surprised too, but this is a federal credit union and I think they are fairly persnickety.

Jo

I doubt there would be a problem. I've made that mistake and had the chegue cashed. They go by what's written out in words.

Call the donor & thank them for their generosity. Then tell them when you were getting ready to deposit/cash it, you saw the written amount did not agree with the numeric amount, and ask them how they would like you to handle it. If it was me, I'd like the bad check back & issue a new one.

My grandmother wrote a check to a charity for $15 in the number boxes and the words forty dollars written on the line. The charity cashed it and got the forty dollars. My understanding was in case of discrepancy, the bank goes with the amount written out on the line but I could be wrong there.

This is correct from my days of working in accounting.

This is what I've encountered, too (thanks to my own error!)

I'd let the bank tell me no before I went back to the sender.

Yes, I am all for cashing in at the higher amount, especially if I am the payee. :D

Honestly, I too think I heard somewhere that it was the *written out* amount rather than the numerical entry.

Call the donor & thank them for their generosity. Then tell them when you were getting ready to deposit/cash it, you saw the written amount did not agree with the numeric amount, and ask them how they would like you to handle it. If it was me, I'd like the bad check back & issue a new one.

:iagree: That's exactly how I would do it.

Yes, the bank will cash the check for the written amount, not the numerical amount.

As an aside, there isn't a Federal Credit Union, so don't let that deter you--all banking institutions are persnickety when it comes to money. :tongue_smilie: I used to work for XYZ Federal Credit Union, and I spent countless hours trying to tell people that it was just our name, and that we WEREN'T really federal, and there wasn't such a beast.

If you have the time, just take it in for deposit (providing that the written amount is the correct amount), and see if the teller says anything. If they refuse it, then contact the generous gift giver. :001_smile:

(the other) Heather in Al

If you have the time, just take it in for deposit (providing that the written amount is the correct amount), and see if the teller says anything. If they refuse it, then contact the generous gift giver. :001_smile:

But.... what if the giver meant to give the numerical amount and the written is higher?? Then you're cashing a cheque for more than the gift was intended.

I'd call the giver first to clarify. It's a generous gift, and I wouldn't want to make a problem for the giver.

I should clarify that I *did* deposit this check and it was sent back. I deposited it in my bank ATM. They sent it back. I don't think I can negotiate with the bank.

I just wanted a tactful way to explain to my FIL that the check was uncashable.

Thanks for all the insight. I appreciate it.

Jo

Jo

When they don't match, the bank is supposed to go with the written amount.

Since it was your father in law, perhaps your husband should be handling this one.

Money and relatives can be a tricky one to handle and you may never survive it.

Hope you can get it worked out!

BTW- looks like that particular branch has been burned before (or a certain teller) and they are looking for your check. Perhaps a note/flag has been posted to your account. Sometimes I can cash a check at the bank that the check was written from, which is printed right on the check.

...since you did try to deposit it and it was returned to you, then, yes, contact your FIL. As a pp said, have your dh do it, and it can be as simple as "we really appreciate the gift, but the bank noticed a discrepancy between the written amount and the dollar amount and won't accept it, so if it's not too much hassle, could you send another one, and isn't it great how the bank caught it and is looking out for your money....." I think something like that would work in most families. It could be that the dollar amount was too big a discrepancy to be accepted as is. I guess it's all in who received it, who is apporving it, etc.

Also, as a pp said, in a case like this you would want to make sure the written amount was the amount your FIL intended to give....I was, ahem, assuming that you knew it was the correct amount intended as the gift. I should have been more clear, as I know I should never assume. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

Yes, they go by written amount. When I was a grad. student and sharing a rental flat with two other girls, rent was due on the day I was very ill with the flu. I wrote my check for $235. Weeks later the landlord was yelling at me for deliberately messing up her bank account - I had written the $235 in the number place...and "Two dollars and 35 cents" in the written place.:001_huh:

Obviously an error made in fever and headache - not on purpose!!!! But no one caught it until it reached the bank.