Menu

Tackling Friday Together, 7.26.24

mom31257

Dh and I are going to a board game event today so not really tackling here. Our tickets are for two days, so we are going to pack a bag and get a hotel if we like it and want to go again tomorrow. 

I hope it is a great and productive day for all of you!

• Like 6

Good morning!  DS heads off to summer camp this weekend so today is going to be spent like this:

• tell ds to bring up his foot locker in the basement
  • he can't find it/swears it's not there.
  • go downstairs and stumble over the big black thing with bright yellow name tags right in front of the door to the storage room.
  • argue over whether he needs a bathing suit (he does) and sunscreen (he does) and a basketball (he does not).
  • know he'll change his clothes twice but insist on the proper amount of underwear and socks anyway.
  • start labeling anything that isn't already, which really should be just a few things if we're lucky.
  • make a uniform pile.  Explain for the third year in a row that a proper Class A is THE WHOLE THING, not just the shirt and he needs to set an example as a patrol leader.  Toss in an extra pair of adjustable shorts for that one kid who will inevitably make bad decisions and do something irreversible to the shorts he brought (it's my kid.  It's always my kid.  We just pretend it's someone else's).
  • supervise cake baking and decorating
  • realize I only got in 2,000 steps for the day, yet my watch shows me climbing 50 sets of stairs.

Oh, and

• violin
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

@HomeAgain, I can so relate to all of that! LOL!!! Hopefully some of it goes more smoothly than you imagine. 

@mom31257, have fun!! friends of ours go to a board game thing that sounds like it must be similar - I hope it's great! 

Today I have:
...coffee
...work a little more on the 3rd Grade stuff
...QUILT THE QUILT
...either DH or I, or both of us, take DS to meet his GF/pick him up after their date
...decide on dinner plans?????
...cook said dinner, eat, watch....something??, veg out, go to bed

It's rainy and gross, and I am *sure* there is more decluttering I could do, all of that is a distraction and I *must* get going on this quilt for my friend. So today's challenge is to NOT do all the other distracting (but still productive) things, and actually quilt the quilt.  Ahem. 

Now, re: DS and meeting the GF -- she drives, and he can but doesn't a lot, so their general plan is "drive and meet at the church, then leave DS's car there, and she drives for the date" -- this sometimes makes sense, sometimes not. Today is when it does not, as DS would drive 10-15 mins past where they are going to end up. So, throw in that and the rain, DH said "let's just take him..." (my original thought was "oooh, fun! I'll go, wander the antique shops along the area where they'll be, and just hang out, etc...." but then - quilt-avoidance all week, so.....now it should be a drop off/pick up thing). 

Have a good day, all! 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, TheReader said:

@HomeAgain, I can so relate to all of that! LOL!!! Hopefully some of it goes more smoothly than you imagine.

Me, too!! 😆 DH skipped out of the house to go to work today and I swear I saw him smirk as he waved goodbye.  He gets to come home to a clean house, a mostly packed box, cake, and a child cleaning his bedroom. 

I am keeping my sense of humor only because I know this happens every trip, every time, and my 25yo gets to be amazed now that this is such a process.  How fleeting our own memories are, and how we, only a short decade ago, went through the same song and dance together.  It was not different.  😄  But watching it from an outsider's perspective is such a different point of view to this bumble of irrational thought mixed with poor attention skills.

• Haha 5

Good morning! 

Summer is ending quickly! 🙁Today is my last free Friday until Fall Break in October. Sigh. Dd will be home from camp next Saturday. Ds has a week to finish his APUS homework. 

Today: 

Shower!  ✔️ 

Reread Dd’s lease and think about her school and move-in things. Turns out we don’t have a copy of the lease, just some general info and the guarantor form Dh signed.

Work at church and do a couple errands on that side of town. ✔️ 

Study for and register to take the math Praxis.

AHG emails.  ✔️ 

Thrift shop.

Housekeeping. A bit

Dinner is chx stir fry and pot stickers. Need soy sauce and more crunchy veggies.  ✔️ 

Read! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

did some stuff on the 3rd grade but so not feeling it - the rain has me very blah'ed out

DS's outing got cancelled b/c of the rain/driving conditions, so we're off the hook there

going to eat something, and then....nap? get to work on the quilt? goof off?....not sure. Ha! 

• Like 4

I haven’t been here much this season because of depression but I have a job interview at 1:30 and could really use some prayers and good vibes.  If I don’t get the job, I’ll chalk it up to god’s will, so I won’t be too disappointed, in theory at least, lol.  I just have not worked outside the home in 23 years and I’ve decided im just going to go in being my really honest self.  I looked at practice questions and figured, they’ll get what they get.   I really want a good work environment and I figure I owe them honest answers not canned answers.   I feel stupid and uneducated enough already to try to master the correct answers.  So any good thoughts, vibes, prayers, even advice is appreciated.   Thanks y’all. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I haven’t been here much this season because of depression but I have a job interview at 1:30 and could really use some prayers and good vibes.  If I don’t get the job, I’ll chalk it up to god’s will, so I won’t be too disappointed, in theory at least, lol.  I just have not worked outside the home in 23 years and I’ve decided im just going to go in being my really honest self.  I looked at practice questions and figured, they’ll get what they get.   I really want a good work environment and I figure I owe them honest answers not canned answers.   I feel stupid and uneducated enough already to try to master the correct answers.  So any good thoughts, vibes, prayers, even advice is appreciated.   Thanks y’all. 

So good to hear from you.  I am so sorry you are dealing with depression right now.  I hope that things get a little better soon.

Sending lots of good thoughts to you today for the interview.  I am relating so much to your feelings of not working out of the house for a long time.  I think mine is somewhere around 19 years or a bit longer.  I think your thoughts on going in and being yourself is awesome.  You are valuable and qualified because of what you have been doing at home.  I think moms in general could rule the world, given everything that is on their plates every single day.   You've got this!   I have been so inspired by so many moms on here that have gotten back into the paid working world after so long at home.  Makes it feel like it is possible and gives me some confidence.  Good luck!

• Like 4

Spent the morning doing some administrative work things & filling out a medical questionnaire for possibly changing our health insurance.  This was not as simple as it should have been, even though I have no health conditions to report.  Hardest thing was "what was the start date of your current health insurance."  We were forced to change carriers when our previous one went out of business suddenly.  I couldn't find the effective date anywhere - my current insurance online info only goes back 4 years, and I couldn't find any mention of the change in my past emails.  I remembered that I whined about it on here, though, so I did a search and there it was.  2016.  😛

I was intending to do my "yoga etc." before I got called into something else.  So I'm gonna do that now.  Then hopefully a shower, and then hopefully lots of client work.

• Like 3

Hi, @WildflowerMom; prayers for a great interview today, and in general, improvement from the depression. Such a hard beast to be dealing with. Hugs to you. 

@SKL, Hive venting posts for the win! LOL! Glad you were able to find the info you needed. 

Napped, dressed, going to eat some lunch and get to work. 

• Like 2

Passports came in.  We applied 2 weeks ago and didn't expect to hear for months.  Color me shocked and impressed.  DS is happily baking a cake while doing laundry, so maybe we're turning the corner here.  I showed him how to repair his scout book today.  Why on earth they are still using paper covers and spiral binding I don't know.  May they learn a little sense and develop a Tyvek cover for the next redesign.  Or even just reinforced holes.  DS25 shredded his paperback binding only a few years in as well, so they're not getting in the least bit better.  You would think that a manual taken on hikes and campouts would be able to withstand something more rough, but no.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, SKL said:

Spent the morning doing some administrative work things & filling out a medical questionnaire for possibly changing our health insurance.  This was not as simple as it should have been, even though I have no health conditions to report.  Hardest thing was "what was the start date of your current health insurance."  We were forced to change carriers when our previous one went out of business suddenly.  I couldn't find the effective date anywhere - my current insurance online info only goes back 4 years, and I couldn't find any mention of the change in my past emails.  I remembered that I whined about it on here, though, so I did a search and there it was.  2016.  😛

I was intending to do my "yoga etc." before I got called into something else.  So I'm gonna do that now.  Then hopefully a shower, and then hopefully lots of client work.

That is so funny!  Yay for the hive.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Passports came in.  We applied 2 weeks ago and didn't expect to hear for months.  Color me shocked and impressed.  DS is happily baking a cake while doing laundry, so maybe we're turning the corner here.  I showed him how to repair his scout book today.  Why on earth they are still using paper covers and spiral binding I don't know.  May they learn a little sense and develop a Tyvek cover for the next redesign.  Or even just reinforced holes.  DS25 shredded his paperback binding only a few years in as well, so they're not getting in the least bit better.  You would think that a manual taken on hikes and campouts would be able to withstand something more rough, but no.

Wow that is awesome.  Must be a good time to apply since the summer travel rush would have passed.  I probably asked before,  but do you have plans to go somewhere?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow that is awesome.  Must be a good time to apply since the summer travel rush would have passed.  I probably asked before,  but do you have plans to go somewhere?

Not at the moment.  We just wanted to make sure.we got them done before we did have plans.  It's why we didn't worry about the timing.  This was amazing, though.

• Like 3

I need to get our passport applications in. If Dd is going to be in France for extended periods of time over the next few years, we definitely need them. She has one, but Dh and mine are expired. Ds doesn’t have one. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I need to get our passport applications in. If Dd is going to be in France for extended periods of time over the next few years, we definitely need them. She has one, but Dh and mine are expired. Ds doesn’t have one. 

Is your dd studying French?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is your dd studying French?

Yes! She is hoping to get an internship in France or Belgium or Quebec or next summer. Fall of her junior year will be study abroad, probably in northern France. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Yes! She is hoping to get an internship in France or Belgium or Quebec or next summer. Fall of her junior year will be study abroad, probably in northern France. 

How cool.   Is she hoping to move abroad after college?

• Like 1

Well, my "the rain makes me feel blah" turned into a headache, which turned into another nap, which is definitely NOT good quilting time/status. Still headachey despite the meds, so going to find something else to do. 

• Sad 3

Update on the packing:

half of the uniforms are in the stack.  Half.  We have a shirt but no neckerchief.  Another shirt, no hat.  There are no pants.

Cakes are made.

He has done laundry, but asking him to fold it is a bridge too far.

The argument over sunscreen and swimsuit is on the back burner.  I may throw it in when he's not looking.

• Like 3

Laundry is going

dishes are going 

sorted out my amazon subscription stuff before that gets processed

sorted through a bunch of files; dd is helping me shred (3’ high stack)

I am tackling some paperwork next.

Mostly, I am still going stir crazy. I had a procedure done on my foot this week and I still need to stay off of it mostly. 

• Like 4

What I did on Friday 

Laundry 

Dusted part of the loungeroom

While home help was here I tidied up plants on veranda. Was planning on watering them all as well but only got half way before I had to rest .

All afternoon in bed 

Made spaghetti for tea.

Note - home help is provided by the hospital for  frail elderly or some  people ill  with a chronic health condition. For me they make beds with clean sheets, do bathrooms and mop floors once a week.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Laundry is going

dishes are going 

sorted out my amazon subscription stuff before that gets processed

sorted through a bunch of files; dd is helping me shred (3’ high stack)

I am tackling some paperwork next.

Mostly, I am still going stir crazy. I had a procedure done on my foot this week and I still need to stay off of it mostly. 

I hope the recovery is easy.  It sounds like it won't be long?

• Like 2

thanks, @mommyoffive; yes, now that I'm on continuous bc to deal with periods and hormone induced migraines, I seem to get mini-migraines sometimes with weather. I  mean, probably they were always there, but I didn't notice, b/c the hormonal ones were so bad.  I did wake up from this last nap feeling human again, so that's good. 

Middle is cooking dinner, I may try to quilt a bit afterall unless DH is bored and wants to watch another episode of Acolyte. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope the recovery is easy.  It sounds like it won't be long?

Hopefully not! It was a small thing, it's just my stupid surgical wound won't stay stopped on bleeding.  I wrapped some coban wrap on it today to add a bit more pressure, and I'm still in the range of normal for the weirdness that is me, it's just annoying. We're having lovely 75F/24C weather and I'd rather be out hiking forested cliffs by the ocean, iykwim. I'm having a rare season where my medical life is mostly quiet, so I want to make the most of it.

Dd just finished paper shredding for me.  I have a couple of more loads of laundry to fold, and some bills to pay, and then dh is making pizza for dinner. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

How cool.   Is she hoping to move abroad after college?

Tbd! Very possibly.

She will begin German this fall, as all language majors not headed to teaching are required to do 4 semesters in a second foreign language. Her school has a strong emphasis on internships and helps students find them. A summer working with missionary friends in France is also an option.

l

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Update on the packing:

half of the uniforms are in the stack.  Half.  We have a shirt but no neckerchief.  Another shirt, no hat.  There are no pants.

Cakes are made.

He has done laundry, but asking him to fold it is a bridge too far.

The argument over sunscreen and swimsuit is on the back burner.  I may throw it in when he's not looking.

🤣🙄
Sounds so very, very familiar! 

• Like 1

Sorted through some of our 2 binders of printed recipes - made it through all the "we printed this after we made the binders, so just stuffed it in there loose" pages and tossed a bunch of "that was good once, but does not warrant staying" stuff. 

Watched an episode of Acolyte w/DH -- we were all watching it, made it 3 episodes, didn't like it/weren't getting into it and all agreed to drop it. But DH's coworker kept talking to him excitedly about it, and convinced him to keep going, so I agreed to sit with him while he did. It hasn't been horrible, but neither has it really recaptured my attention (or his), but we're still going to finish it. 

Middle's dinner turned out good. Now we're going to watch one episode of Forged in Fire, and then probably DH & I will finish off Acolyte. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Tbd! Very possibly.

She will begin German this fall, as all language majors not headed to teaching are required to do 4 semesters in a second foreign language. Her school has a strong emphasis on internships and helps students find them. A summer working with missionary friends in France is also an option.

l

So exciting and cool. 

• Thanks 1