Menu

Moving from Fl to NYS and AAAAAHHHHH

Halcyon

Okay, first off, would LOVE advice on moving companies that can store the "pod" (I know of Pods but sheesh they're pricey) as I am currently selling my home in Florida but do not have a home yet in NYS. In an ideal world, I will/would find my new home in the same time period as the sale of my current Fl home, but that may not happen. So I will sell this home and probably need to store my stuff in a pod while I search for my new home. 

And finding a short term rental that will take pets is not only hard but holy pricey, Batman! I don't have a lot of money to spare (who does!) and every month will eat into my budget for a new home. I luckily will be able to get a bridge loan from a parent IF I find a home in NYS before my home in Florida sells, but in my price range there just isnt a ton.

Anyone who has been through this before? As a single older person? That's the toughest part for me psychologically; not having anyone to bear the mental burden of moving!

Anyway, though I'd post here and get some advice.

I believe pods.com can store your pod at their facility. But I think that is pretty pricey. They charge $149 a month for the pod not including the storage if memory serves. 

Also if you see ads for "moving broker" don't click. These are people who promise to get you the lowest price moving experience for your needs except after they barter down the quote with whatever company they want to use, the quote is through the roof because of their commission/fees which are very high. Do the leg work yourself.

I have also read that you should call to get quotes, not email. Apparently, there is a little bartering to be done if you call, and discounts of around 15% are often offered. That was on a reddit moving forum. I don't have any actual experience to back that up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Think very, very carefully about how much you actually need to move. It may be cheaper and more fun to buy things—even if it has to be done slowly over time—than to store them.

This is very true. When we moved from Indiana to Oregon, we paid for the big moving truck and took a lot of our stuff. We did have somewhere free and safe for our baby grand piano to be stored, but everything else had to go into storage. By the time we found a lot and built our home, we had paid a TON for storage of everything else. We could have just sold everything before we left, pulled a small u haul trailer behind our station wagon with essentials, dd's crib, and replaced what we needed for the cost of the big budget trucks and storage. My baby grand did not do well in the move despite being well packed and on a kick board to protect it. Cracked the sound board, and ended up being sold for peanuts. I could have, at that time in the 80's, gotten $7500 for her (she was a collectible piano), and bought something else when we arrived. 

When we left Oregon, we sold the car and everything but essentials, rented a small moving van, and set out. We did better financially with that move, and it was another one in which we were in temporary housing for a while before settling down so it would have been a lot of stage money down the tubes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, freesia said:

We’ve always used unpack ( formerly ATS or something.) we have never stored with them but have had them deliver to a storage unit place. https://www.upack.com/moving-services/long-distance-moving

yes, that's another option. U-pack delivering to storage unit. One would have to unpack to storage, and then when one finds a home, repack the unit and then move and unpack--if it's significantly less money than having the "pod" type storage, it would be worth it. Thank you for chiming in.

• Like 1

We’ve moved cross country several times…including moving and not knowing where we are landing exactly. I highly recommend deeply downsizing now—getting rid of all furniture and keeping only the things you truly love and delight you (ie, sort your wardrobe and everything else now) rather than packing and storing everything. Plan to take what you can fit in your vehicle, and little to no more. Also, look at longer term airbnb rentals or residence inn type hotels on the month rate. Talk to the sales or general manager, tell them you are relocating your business to NYS (you are self employed, yes?) and see what you can find re: longer term corporate rates. 

• Like 4

An extended stay hotel might be a good idea. I know the Staybridge I stayed in for work earlier this year had a full kitchen, seperate bedroom, accepted pets, free parking, free breakfast everyday, free dinner three nights a week, plus all the normal ammenities like free wifi, a pool and a business center. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Think very, very carefully about how much you actually need to move. It may be cheaper and more fun to buy things—even if it has to be done slowly over time—than to store them.

This.

I'd be tempted to go collegial. Not sure if that's the right term, but...go to college student mode...whatever fits in your car, goes, any- & everything else meets Konmari....not 'how much can i take', but 'how little can i get by with?'. Obviously, you have to be a little careful with this - scout FB Marketplace & search for used furniture stores in the area you're headed to beforehand to get an idea of how easy it is to re-establish, but....it would be SO much easier to just downsize to your car & a small rental travel trailer and not have to deal with pods and storage rentals, etc.

You mentioned that your faith community(ies) in NYS are stronger. Use them (if appropriate). Reach out ahead of time and see what resources the spiritual community knows of for re-furnishing; tell them you're relocating. And pray about it.

Good luck. Glad you're trying to get out before hurricane season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with the advice to be utterly ruthless in purging your belongings.

We have moved cross-country several times. When we really needed to save money, we went with a ABF trailer, but my husband first loaded our stuff into a U-Haul and drove to an ABF depot of some sort. He moved all our stuff into part of the large trailer (there were partitions for different people's things). They drove the trailer across country, where hubby again rented a U-Haul to get our stuff out of the trailer at an ABF depot and then finally to our place. It was so labor intensive but we were short on funds and this was the cheapest option at the time.

We have also recently moved with two 16' PODS for around $11k for a move of 2000+ miles. Some thoughts on that option: the pods are smaller than they advertise (a foot less in each dimension I think), you need a lot of space for the POD to be delivered and picked up. There is a weight limit on the POD (their POD picking up machine can't pick up more than a certain weight). You should allow several days lee-way for pick-up of your loaded POD. They were supposed to pick up our PODs on a Tuesday. One of them didn't get picked up until Saturday! Next time we would rather rent a large Penske truck and drive it ourselves (that would have cost around $2k I think). But hopefully there won't be a next time for us!

Edited by sgo95
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Happy2BaMom said:

You mentioned that your faith community(ies) in NYS are stronger. Use them (if appropriate). Reach out ahead of time and see what resources the spiritual community knows of for re-furnishing; tell them you're relocating. And pray about it.

Good luck. Glad you're trying to get out before hurricane season.

If you have a target area, maybe reach out to the faith communities in that area and ask if they have ideas for places to rent, furnishings, etc.   it could be that someone knows of someone renting out grandmas house while she is in a nursing home, or someone with a duplex or other living arrangement.   I do realize the pets complicate things.

• Like 1

I agree with the downsizing. Get brutal about it.  Even if you can afford to have someone come in, pack you up, drive to NY, store it and then un pack, I STILL  recommend major purging/downsizing.  

I would pack my favorite/necessary kitchen items, family photos, very few clothes (you are going to a different climate) and sell the rest before you leave.  When you find a place to live the only thing you HAVE to have right away is a bed.  After that you add what you need and love for your new life.  You will save so much money and so much energy and time.