Menu

Anyone have a greenhouse they love?

Posted (edited)

My oldest dd is a plant hoarder, and the accumulated greenery in the house is about to make me lose my mind. We haven’t used the kitchen table in two months because of a propagation project. She is going to the community college for horticulture, and she often brings home leftover plants from assignments or that the school was going to dispose of. 

Anyway, I’ve reached that point — they’ve got to go. We’re beyond a reasonable amount. I’ve decided our graduation gift will be to help her buy/install a greenhouse in the backyard. Probably 6x12ish, polycarb panel variety. I would prefer to buy rather than build from scratch but the budget is small (so something cheap from Amazon that’ll last 5+ years would be awesome). 

Any recs? Or if you have a greenhouse you love, even if it’s not what I said I wanted, throw it at me. Maybe it might work. We are fairly handy, have plenty of tools. 

Edited by alisoncooks

We did put up a cheap(ish) greenhouse from Amazon, but it was destroyed in days. MY FAULT, because I didn’t have it anchored down before major wind came through.   
I’ve saved the panels to make cold frames.

We just finished our Costco Yardistry greenhouse last week. It’s incredible. 3-4x the price, but 100x better, and easier to assemble (imo, though dh did most of the work.)

• Like 1

We have one DIY'ed (for cheap) from an old trampoline frame  . . . it's technically a "high hoop tunnel", but it functions as (and we refer to it as) a greenhouse. After using it a year or two to get used to it, we have since added a sink, shelves, and an irrigation system. We started with "what we have on hand" and adjusted YouTube instructions to accommodate.

It doubles in winter as a maple syrup "sugar shack," and in late fall as garden storage. 🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We have a Polly tunnel. About 25 metres long. I love it. I have old metal desk frame with mesh in it for seedlings and an old table with plastic in it for potting up.

Construction -We have metal tube hoops that we bought secondhand and commercial greenhouse plastic that is bought from a commercial greenhouse supplier .it lasts about 8 years before the plastic needs replacing

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

Costco has an adorable greenhouse, on sale as of last weekend. I want it desperately as an outdoor cocktail lounge on our deck, but of course it will get too hot. 

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

We did put up a cheap(ish) greenhouse from Amazon, but it was destroyed in days. MY FAULT, because I didn’t have it anchored down before major wind came through.   
I’ve saved the panels to make cold frames.

We just finished our Costco Yardistry greenhouse last week. It’s incredible. 3-4x the price, but 100x better, and easier to assemble (imo, though dh did most of the work.)

Do you have any links to the Costco greenhouses you like?

59 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Hopefully this link will work. Costco's website is being wonky for me right now. The one I think is cute (and functional for its purpose, if not for a backyard cocktail lounge, lol) is the Yardistry.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jNXyLEW4tEjre4z6A

This is the one they have set up in my local Costco. It’s wonderful. 🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Hopefully this link will work. Costco's website is being wonky for me right now. The one I think is cute (and functional for its purpose, if not for a backyard cocktail lounge, lol) is the Yardistry.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jNXyLEW4tEjre4z6A

Thanks!!! That's adorable! I think I would probably want something larger, but this is certainly reasonably priced! I wonder if Costco can recommend someone to build it in the yard. I can't imagine doing it myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m coveting this one. The Costco one is probably sturdier, but I like the glass house look of this kind. It has de real sizes. I e been told to go bigger because you’ll fill it fast. 

I like the style of that one. It’s pretty much what I was looking at on Amazon (different brands). 

Now I’m actually considering a hoop style one, using cattle wire to make the hoop. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube. They aren’t as cute, but I could double the size (for way less) if we go that route. Hmmm…so many choices. 

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Thanks!!! That's adorable! I think I would probably want something larger, but this is certainly reasonably priced! I wonder if Costco can recommend someone to build it in the yard. I can't imagine doing it myself.

It’s really not difficult with a power drill, though there are parts that a second person makes much easier.

My favorite aspect is that a good amount of shelf space is included. I was worried about how much I might need to acquire, but I might not need to get any. It even comes with the hooks for hanging things from the roof beams, and caulk to fill around the panels.

• Like 2

Just because I’ve already spent an hour in here being in love, I’ll share pics of my messy, unorganized space. (Trying to rush planting in between rain forecasts!) Even dh loves it , and he doesn’t garden. It’s bigger than it seems like it should be.

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

If you do a hoop style, I highly recommend getting the adhesive felt strip that goes between the plastic sheet and the metal. It will make it last way longer

Some of the tutorials I’ve watched put insulated foam tubing over the metal to protect the plastic. Does this felt strip do the same thing?

@Carrie12345 - that’s so cute! I do prefer that style, but it’s out of our budget. Plus, dd is a horticulture major and I expect her collection to grow these next few years. I think we’re gonna go big or go home, lol. Possibly 10x20, if I can talk DH into it. 

I also love greenhouses made from recycled windows. Our local FB marketplace has several people selling old windows in bulk, but I don’t know that we’re up to that task. 

6 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

@Carrie12345 - that’s so cute! I do prefer that style, but it’s out of our budget. Plus, dd is a horticulture major and I expect her collection to grow these next few years. I think we’re gonna go big or go home, lol. Possibly 10x20, if I can talk DH into it. 

I also love greenhouses made from recycled windows. Our local FB marketplace has several people selling old windows in bulk, but I don’t know that we’re up to that task. 

Ooh, I used to dream about doing that with windows!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

These are terrible pics, but we built this high-tunnel greenhouse in our backyard this year. It's 17x25 (orig 16x24-grew to avoid gas lines). We built it from a DIY kit from BootStrap Farmer. Not the cheapest but the quality is incredible and customer service top notch. It uses chain-link fence posts and lumber as the structure. The only tool we bought was a pole bender from BootStrap because we have almost every basic tool imaginable already. They had step-by-step instructions and videos that were easy to follow with all dimensions, etc already planned.

There are doors on both ends. We installed 2 solar-powered heat vents on each end and 4 12" circulating fans to create a "race-track" of air. We also have 50% shade cloth over the top now because it is already hot in Texas. With a portable propane heat, we kept the temps about 10 degrees above ambient when below freezing. The structure was not sealed or we probably could have kept it warmer.

I have 10 18x48x82 wire racks. It can house about 320 3-gal and 5-gal plants. Not enough air circulation for more because of high humidity here. Before we get through the summer, I think we'll have to add more shade cloth. It's already reaching high 90s in the mid area of the greenhouse which is just too hot for the potted plants.

We built this as our "learner" house because we are starting a retail garden nursery, Texas Plants Gone Wild LLC, on the 12acres we purchased about 20 miles from us. Other than how to run a business (we've worked for ourselves for 18yrs), we do not have any experience running a nursery so we have tons of learning curves to get over fast. We wanted to learn about temp, water, air control, bugs, disease as well as how to maintain inventory in pots to sell (very different from potted plants for personal use). So we bought 300 plants to grow to larger sizes this year to sell early spring next year when we hopefully will have the property ready to go.

The rule of thumb is you can never have enough greenhouse space. 🙂

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8517.jpg

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 3

@aggie96 - yeah! I looked at those. I definitely plan on getting some shade fabric and exhaust fans — it gets hot here in NC too! 

I was considering the roll-up side, but I wonder if the heat loss there in the winter would be too much (not sealed tight). 

My daughter propagates so many plants, all the time, lol.  I keep telling her to start a stand at the farmers market or something. She just wants to keep them all!  😂

Posted (edited)

We did not seal the greenhouse, but the loss was around the doors, specifically where the lumber did not reach the ground because the ground was not level. The poly was secured with "wiggle wire" along the bottom to the lumber. We confirmed with a heat gun that the loss was not there. So I recommend on my limited experience securing any poly with wiggle-wire. 

Thus far it has withstood 65mph winds, torrential rain, and temps from 110F (on inside apex) to 20F. Didn't even flap in the wind when the sides were up or down. That was a biggest concern--that it would fly away and take out the neighbors property. 🙂 I hope the poly lasts the 5 years as expected but time will tell.

I do not mind sharing in case anyone is interested that the configuration we have including everything but the racks was about $2100 (not cheap but not the most expensive either). This included fans, poly, wiggle wire, pole bender, connectors, poles, fans, wireless thermostat, pre-fab doors, treated lumber, and professional-grade landscape fabric on the ground (with tons left over)---everything but the plants, racks, and labor.

Also, that build guide on BootStrap is a free pdf. You can use that to completely DIY it. It is very well written. Not everything we bought came from them, but the components I felt needed the highest quality did. I think I saw a video on adding shelving to this style structure on their YouTube, but I've now watched so many videos I can't be sure. Lol. Also, that company started in NC and moved to TX so I would expect that their design would suffice in your case?

ETA: This was NOT my dream design for a backyard greenhouse, but need won out over want. 🙂 We need a learners greenhouse for the new nursery. It ain't pretty, but it's functional!

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 1

I am using a tunnel on off Amazon.  It has done very well.  I modified it with adding a diesel heater for the really cold nights, insulated the bottom half with foam boards, used 6 ml plastic to hang on the walls/ceiling/door and some foam in the top with some reinforcement wood strips to the top of the tunnel for snow load.  Mine is 10x12 and has kept my orchids, topicals and other plants/seed starting very happy.  I lined the floor in slate that someone was throwing out to help with maintaining temperature.  Govee on Amazon has some wonderful temp/humidity monitors that connect to your phone.  I use them to monitor all the time.  

Most of the shelving and foam I re-homed from the trash over the summer so it has cost me very little.  My entire setup cost 200 and it has done very well.  

• Like 2

@alisoncooks Will your daughter want to take this greenhouse with her when she moves? I’d probably do a hoop house for portability and maximum space for the money. I spent way too much time on YouTube watching people build greenhouses. There are some cool ones made from cattle panels that look sturdy and relatively easy to diy. I watch the Ana White greenhouse video like it’s a movie. 🤣 She also has one with a barn-style greenhouse. 

• Like 1

@KungFuPanda - I did consider making it portable so she could take it with her. But in this economy, lol, she may be with me for a while. 

I used to enjoy looking at Ana White’s plans years ago. I didn’t even think to see if she had a greenhouse plan.  Off to watch! 😂

2 hours ago, aggie96 said:

ETA: This was NOT my dream design for a backyard greenhouse, but need won out over want. 🙂 We need a learners greenhouse for the new nursery. It ain't pretty, but it's functional!

This is where I am. Ideally, I like the more cottage-like, poly carb/glass greenhouses, but I think the hoop will be doable now for her to learn in and not break the bank. Thanks for sharing all those details! 

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I am using a tunnel on off Amazon…..

……Most of the shelving and foam I re-homed from the trash over the summer so it has cost me very little.  My entire setup cost 200 and it has done very well.  

I like the sound of this! 😂 Ideally, I’d like to keep our all-in less than $500.  We just dropped $$ on a new HVAC so I have to mind the budget.  It’s nice to hear about a budget route that is functioning well.