Menu

Is termite prevention worth it? Is it even possible?

Ditto

I do not have termites, that I am aware of.  However, I am a bit paranoid about them (neighbor had them a few months ago which just added to my paranoia).  So I am wondering, can a pest control company do anything to prevent them?  Can I do anything myself to prevent them?  I know there are some plants that may deter them, but I have a black thumb and won't be able to get anything to grow enough to help.  I already do the common things outside to prevent bugs, so that is covered.   I would call a pest control company myself but don't want to get taken for a ride, so I thought I would come to the wise hive minds here for some info first.

Yes, it is preventable and totally worth it. Termites can do horrific damage without you ever knowing it until the damage is done and it's too late and very, very expensive to mitigate.

If you want further input, you might list the general geographical area for which you'd like input.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

If your neighbors had them then there is a big chance you have some too...

My parents just had their house rebuilt courtesy of their pest control service-- the damage was extensive.  Their homeowners would not have covered it-- so think as pest control as a type of insurance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely have your house inspected. When we bought our last house, we had  it inspected by 2 companies. One said no issue. 2nd said, nothing currently but there is evidence from the past. He recommended preventative treatment. We decided against it. 15 years later , extensive damage to bay window and basement below it. $ 12,000 give or take a few thousand. Insurance  did not cover it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Yes!  Look seriously at the Sentricon system.   My understanding is that it sets out bait traps and looks for activity.  I honestly don't know if it also uses something to prevent/kill them, however, the pest control company checks the Sentricon stations periodically (monthly or quarterly), and if they see any activity they then check the home very carefully.  If there is any damage, the pest control company is then responsible for repairing any damage to the home.  3 homes ago we did have termite damage and the pest control company fixed it.  We live in the south, and a termite 'bond' is pretty much standard here.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To those of you that have gotten preventative treatment/ inspections......do you mind sharing how much it cost?  I know these things vary widely, but it will at least give me an idea of what to expect.

I am currently researching companies and absolutely plan to have an inspection and request preventative treatment.  

Thank you all so much for your advice and help!  I knew the hive wouldn't let me down.

Just now, Ditto said:

To those of you that have gotten preventative treatment/ inspections......do you mind sharing how much it cost?  I know these things vary widely, but it will at least give me an idea of what to expect.

I am currently researching companies and absolutely plan to have an inspection and request preventative treatment.  

Thank you all so much for your advice and help!  I knew the hive wouldn't let me down.

We pay 250-ish for annual inspection and termite insurance on our rental house in AR.

• Thanks 1

We just bought a house that had termite damage on the fence so while the house didn’t have damage we decided to have the preventative system put in. I believe the cost was something like $850 for installation/the first year and then something like $250/year after that. 

• Thanks 1

You guys are the best.   One last question (I think!):   what do I ask the company that comes to inspect and set up preventative service?  Is there anything specific that you can think of that I may not especially since this is my first time doing this?

I did find a company with good reviews/ratings so I am starting with them.  They are also a local company.   If you have thoughts on that please share as well.

Posted (edited)

One house we bought had had termites and owners had treated for them.  We didn't want to continue paying for pest control, so we did it ourselves.  We lived in that house for 15 years and the termites never came back.

I researched it and dc and I went down to Home Depot and picked up all the stuff and did it.  It wasn't hard and it seemed to work. 

We lived in the woods and there were termites in all the fallen, rotting trees.  Along with carpenter ants which can be as destructive as termites.  A seemingly healthy treetop fell out of a tree in our front yard once.  It was full of carpenter ants.  But they all stayed away from our house.       

Edited by kathyl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Goodness, yes. Inspect, treat, and get a termite bond.

Does that mean that if termites are found the company pays for the repairs and treatment?  Is that something I have to ask for?  Do you know if all companies should offer it?   

9 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Does that mean that if termites are found the company pays for the repairs and treatment?  Is that something I have to ask for?  Do you know if all companies should offer it?   

Sorry, I can’t remember many details, we sold the house about a year later, and were  still covered from the initial remediation. 

I do remember we transferred whatever warranty we had to the new owners. We or now They have to pay a small fee for the annual inspection to keep the warranty.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

A termite bond varies in terms, but generally it covers some degree of damage if damage occurs while you are receiving regular preventative treatment. (Obviously you would need to be termite and damage free when it is issued.) Not all bonds are transferrable but if you are thinking of selling your home in the south or Midwest, where such things are more common, it’s considered a good thing for buyers. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ditto said:

The company we use had two options: Both options covered installation of the yard stations, inspection, and treatment if there is any activity. The higher priced option also included repair if there is activity.

• Thanks 1

We had very mixed results for the expense, and every single inspector that came out from the same reputable company told us conflicting information. Our first house had a clean inspection from a mom and pop company as well as “old” damage, but it became clear later that we had new termites when we moved in. They stuck to one wall, so that was good, but our treatment person could not grasp the layout of how a previous garage had turned into living space, and they didn’t initially treat it properly (they treated it again). However, we also did some things to be less attractive to termites—it turns out an old bathroom vent had been left in place after a bathroom was removed, and it collected condensation. We also had an old tree stump close to the house that the previous owners had covered with ivy. We pulled that out. Previous owners had also piled up soil around parts of the foundation and garage that went up to the sill plate, so we dialed that back.

The company also discontinued their bait system entirely, so I don’t know if that method is evidence-based anymore.

We followed along with their inspections in order to learn what to look for, and then we dropped them.

Many companies offer a free inspection, so that’s a backup plan.

If a neighbor has termites, I would treat preemptively. If something attracting termites in the neighborhood was cleaned up, the termites will be looking for a new home, and that’s a good time to be alert and consider treatment or an inspection (they send a warmers out in the spring to spot a new place to live). 

If you have formosan termites in your area, I would get advice specifically about those. iIRC, they are the kind that do damage very quickly. The others are slower.

Geographic area matters a great deal. Termites are much more common some places than others. I heard of termites only on cartoons or nature documentaries growing up, though we had carpenter ants. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, kbutton said:

We had very mixed results for the expense, and every single inspector that came out from the same reputable company told us conflicting information. Our first house had a clean inspection from a mom and pop company as well as “old” damage, but it became clear later that we had new termites when we moved in. They stuck to one wall, so that was good, but our treatment person could not grasp the layout of how a previous garage had turned into living space, and they didn’t initially treat it properly (they treated it again). However, we also did some things to be less attractive to termites—it turns out an old bathroom vent had been left in place after a bathroom was removed, and it collected condensation. We also had an old tree stump close to the house that the previous owners had covered with ivy. We pulled that out. Previous owners had also piled up soil around parts of the foundation and garage that went up to the sill plate, so we dialed that back.

The company also discontinued their bait system entirely, so I don’t know if that method is evidence-based anymore.

We followed along with their inspections in order to learn what to look for, and then we dropped them.

Many companies offer a free inspection, so that’s a backup plan.

If a neighbor has termites, I would treat preemptively. If something attracting termites in the neighborhood was cleaned up, the termites will be looking for a new home, and that’s a good time to be alert and consider treatment or an inspection (they send a warmers out in the spring to spot a new place to live). 

If you have formosan termites in your area, I would get advice specifically about those. iIRC, they are the kind that do damage very quickly. The others are slower.

Geographic area matters a great deal. Termites are much more common some places than others. I heard of termites only on cartoons or nature documentaries growing up, though we had carpenter ants. 

I also did things around the outside of our house to be 'less attractive' to the termites (and carpenter ants).  I always tore up everything but the grass around the base of the house - bushes, etc.  And got anything with moisture away from the house.  Except in this house. 

Dh wanted to keep all the flower beds.  And he's watering the foundation for some reason (Texas??).  I was able to get rid of a couple of small decorative waterfall fountains that splattered water on the side of the house, discoloring the paint.  But oh well.      

Anyway, we don't have Formosan termites here, but if we did I might be more inclined to hire someone for pest control.  Geographic location definitely makes a difference.  We didn't have termites in NH, but we bought a house that had similar damage from carpenter ants.   

Oh, and we had chickens and peacocks at one house and they ate everything in the yard - snakes, bugs, ALL of it.  lol 

Edited by kathyl
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, kathyl said:

And he's watering the foundation for some reason (Texas??).

I wonder if drought makes dirt pull away from the foundation and then water can intrude. That happened to neighbors of ours in a more moderate climate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kathyl said:

I also did things around the outside of our house to be 'less attractive' to the termites (and carpenter ants).  I always tore up everything but the grass around the base of the house - bushes, etc.  And got anything with moisture away from the house.  Except in this house. 

Dh wanted to keep all the flower beds.  And he's watering the foundation for some reason (Texas??).  I was able to get rid of a couple of small decorative waterfall fountains that splattered water on the side of the house, discoloring the paint.  But oh well.      

Anyway, we don't have Formosan termites here, but if we did I might be more inclined to hire someone for pest control.  Geographic location definitely makes a difference.  We didn't have termites in NH, but we bought a house that had similar damage from carpenter ants.   

Oh, and we had chickens and peacocks at one house and they ate everything in the yard - snakes, bugs, ALL of it.  lol 

Yes, in parts of Texas, wherever there are clay soils, homeowners have to regularly water the foundations to keep the soil volume consistent. Soil can dry out an shrink so much in the summer heat, then swell when it gets wet again, that it will crack the foundation of the house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Yes, in parts of Texas, wherever there are clay soils, homeowners have to regularly water the foundations to keep the soil volume consistent. Soil can dry out an shrink so much in the summer heat, then swell when it gets wet again, that it will crack the foundation of the house.

I suppose that's what he's doing.  But seems like the termites would love all that moisture.  

On 5/13/2024 at 9:03 PM, kathyl said:

I suppose that's what he's doing.  But seems like the termites would love all that moisture.  

Well, both are a threat, so both measures are needed. The termite prevention for the same area is made up of bait stations buried into the ground at 10 foot intervals all around the perimeter of the structure. They are checked yearly and refilled if termites have been eating the material in the bait stations.

• Like 1