Menu

Weird thing happening in my sleep

I almost never ever dream unless I’m first trimester pregnant. Recently I have been waking up hearing knocking. I know it isn’t really happening because the dogs would be barking even if it were the kids or something. So, I know it’s happening in my head. Last night I found myself standing at the front door. It was kind of scary to me because like I said I don’t do anything in my sleep not even dream. It’s SO weird. Has this ever happened to you?

• Confused 1

I get the knocking thing. It has a name. Sometimes it's a doorbell and sometimes it's knocking, but it wakes me right up and it takes me a short while to realize it didn't actually happen but was the sleep thing. I've never actually found myself out of bed because of it though. I would be disconcerted as well.

There is a thing called exploding head syndrome where you wake up to a loud noise that is in your head.

That said, that you say you never dream coupled with finding yourself at the front door makes me think you might have a sleep disorder.

43 minutes ago, EKS said:

There is a thing called exploding head syndrome where you wake up to a loud noise that is in your head.

That said, that you say you never dream coupled with finding yourself at the front door makes me think you might have a sleep disorder.

Like what? Since I’m not getting deep sleep enough to dream? If so, I’d say that I’ve been night nursing/co-sleeping since 2011. lol

• Like 1

I slept walked and slept talked in full sentences in my early 20s during a high stress time of my life.  As in one of my closest friends had been murdered.  

I still sleep talk a lot.  And I dream like I am insane.   

So my guess is just high stress.  Being a mother to many I would say would put you in that category. 

• Like 1

I often hear the phone ringing in my sleep or when I'm in the shower when it isn't actually. 

"Exploding head syndrome" is my new favorite go-to explanation for everything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I slept walked and slept talked in full sentences in my early 20s during a high stress time of my life.  As in one of my closest friends had been murdered.  

I still sleep talk a lot.  And I dream like I am insane.   

So my guess is just high stress.  Being a mother to many I would say would put you in that category. 

Well…actually I’m not really feeling very stressed these days at all. I was definitely stressed out in my early days of motherhood, but I’m in a pretty good place right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eos said:

I often hear the phone ringing in my sleep or when I'm in the shower when it isn't actually. 

"Exploding head syndrome" is my new favorite go-to explanation for everything.

I do this with shower, but it’s always that I think I hear the baby crying.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Like what? Since I’m not getting deep sleep enough to dream? If so, I’d say that I’ve been night nursing/co-sleeping since 2011. lol

I think that sleepwalking is considered a sleep disorder by itself.  It can also be caused by a lack of sleep.  I suspect the lack of dreams (or perceived lack of dreams) can too.  But a lack of dreams can also be caused by actual disorders that interfere with the REM stage of sleep.

• Like 3

You're not getting enough sleep is the short answer.  Your quality of sleep is so low that your brain is always on, listening for things and helping others.  Since there's no activity at that hour, your brain is creating it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SKL said:

Sometimes in my sleep I hear my name being called urgently and I wake up to silence.

I get this too, except it’s always, “Mama?” In a loud whisper that sounds like one of my kids. Then I have to get up and check on each of them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SKL said:

Sometimes in my sleep I hear my name being called urgently and I wake up to silence.

I have the same thing happen to me. I wake up on high alert and hear only silence. I always feel like I have to do a quick walkaround of the house, just in case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

You're not getting enough sleep is the short answer.  Your quality of sleep is so low that your brain is always on, listening for things and helping others.  Since there's no activity at that hour, your brain is creating it.

Probably so.