Menu

New clothes for the new year

ShepCarlin

I need to buy new clothes. Everything needs to be replaced from bras & underwear to every day pants & tops. I work in a very casual retail environment. I wear yoga pants and t-shirts 99% of the time. 
I’ve been putting off buying new clothes for a long time. I keep saying oh when I lose that extra 10 lbs then I’ll go shopping. That’s been my mantra for about 9 years 😬 I also absolutely hate clothes shopping. I’d rather buy new kitchen equipment.

I just recently stopped by Duluth Trading Company. They seem to carry the aesthetic I’m looking for. How good is the quality? Since I rarely purchase new clothes, I really need the new ones to last. I very rarely need anything dressy. I just would like to look a little more put together yet be comfortable and not have to clothes shop again for a while. 

Can you link a couple of things you’re interested in there so we can see your style? I’ve recently discovered these bras and *love* them. I bought one, tried it out, then went back for 2 more. 

My favorite comfortable-casual-but look good-pants are Athleta. They’re expensive, but I found them at the thrift store for $4. I’ve since ordered another pair (slightly different style) from their online store and like them too, but not as much as my original pair. Very good quality!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Duluth is excellent quality, but if possible you should go into a store to try on. Their sizing can be way off the measurements, like two sizes too big, pants won’t stay up off. And it’s not universally too big across sizes. A jacket I tried on there was too small in the chest. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I think Duluth is excellent quality, but if possible you should go into a store to try on. Their sizing can be way off the measurements, like two sizes too big, pants won’t stay up off. And it’s not universally too big across sizes. A jacket I tried on there was too small in the chest. 

That has been my experience, too. I do love their quality. And their bib overalls are the best thing ever for gardening. But the sizes can be wonky. One xL tank top was too small across my chest, the other was way too big. But their quality is great and the items are durable. 

• Like 2

@ShepCarlin Those are all cute! I especially like the first link sweater. 

I have these pants and they are super comfortable, even though they look nice on. I’m 5’5”, but I buy them in “short” so they’re a bit cropped. I pair them with a cute shirt/sweater and some sneakers with no-show socks (or sandals in the summer) I feel like it looks pulled-together even though I’m comfortable. 

• Like 2

Since you are looking to hit the reset button / rebuild, I would probably start with a capsule wardrobe plan and shop to that. I.E: 2 pairs dressy yoga pants / athleisure pants, 1 pair cargo pants or joggers, 1 jean jacket, etc. You will get more bang for your buck having a plan and knowing what will mix and match all together. Several bloggers offer these types of wardrobe guides.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mmasc said:

@ShepCarlin Those are all cute! I especially like the first link sweater. 

I have these pants and they are super comfortable, even though they look nice on. I’m 5’5”, but I buy them in “short” so they’re a bit cropped. I pair them with a cute shirt/sweater and some sneakers with no-show socks (or sandals in the summer) I feel like it looks pulled-together even though I’m comfortable. 

Is this for winter? I often find similar pants I like online, but can never figure out what socks/shoes will work for them outside of summer sandals or flats. Even though I live in the temperate PNW, I can’t imagine wearing sneakers and no show socks in the winter or even much of the spring/fall. 

• Like 1

How about Lands End?

What I like about them is that many of their pants and shirt styles don’t change drastically every year. If you like a certain t-shirt, you will likely be able to find it the next year. I have a lot of their t shirts and if one needs to be replaced, it’s easy to do; I just have to keep track of the specific style and size to make reordering easy.

They also provide measurements of the garment online. If you have a t shirt at home that fits well, you can take the measurements and then match it to the LE-provided measurements to find the best size. I wish more online stores would do this. Here is how you find the garment measurements using the link below as an example:

• Click on Size Charts just above the size boxes.
  • Then in the upper left corner of the new page, click on Item Dimensions (.png)

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-34-sleeve-cotton-supima-crewneck-tunic/id_339234?attributes=5662,43307,43322,43381,44068,44256,44808

Last of all — the sales. They are almost always having sales. I like that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frances said:

Is this for winter? I often find similar pants I like online, but can never figure out what socks/shoes will work for them outside of summer sandals or flats. Even though I live in the temperate PNW, I can’t imagine wearing sneakers and no show socks in the winter or even much of the spring/fall. 

I will wear sneakers any time the temps are above about 55. YMMV 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

16 hours ago, Anne said:

I love Duluth, but the sleeves of their long sleeve shirts are too long for my arms - this is not a normal occurrence for me - no other brand is consistently too long in the sleeve.  That being said, their quality is solid.

Anne

Oh, maybe I need to shop there, because I have trouble finding tops that are ling enough at the wrists!  

• Like 1