Menu

What? The Night Before Christmas

TechWife

I was today years old when I realized that, according  to the Night Before Christmas, the sleigh is miniature, the reindeer are tiny with little hooves and Santa is little with a little mouth.

Ya’ll - this explains the chimney!

Why does no one talk about this? 

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43171/a-visit-from-st-nicholas

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• TechWife changed the title to What? The Night Before Christmas
11 minutes ago, dsmith said:

I've read that story/poem countless times, and it only struck me this year that Santa, the sleigh and the reindeer are all tiny. I think maybe it was the cartoon with the mice that made me notice it more, lol. 

I realized it when I was listening to Christmas music & it was recited. 

• Like 1

I memorized the entire poem when I was in high school (along with various other poems / songs).  Pretty sure I still remember it word for word.

He was a right jolly old elf.

So I understand the chimney trick.  Unfortunately, the writer didn't address the difficulty of chimneyless dwellings (something I've heard many kids ask about).  But, in his defense, he wasn't necessarily writing for the entire world present and future.  😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Camper said:

I always assumed that he (and the sleigh) appeared miniature from a distance. It was when he looked out the window that he described him that way. 

Regardless, it's just a poem (that I happen to love). It's not like he has inside knowledge of Santa! 😁

When my kids ask various things relating to this or movies or whatever I just remind them that these are people's imaginations 😉

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:55 PM, Happy Camper said:

I always assumed that he (and the sleigh) appeared miniature from a distance. It was when he looked out the window that he described him that way. 

Regardless, it's just a poem (that I happen to love). It's not like he has inside knowledge of Santa! 😁

Ah - but the hooves on the roof are “little” - so not at a distance 

“And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.”
  • Like 1