Menu

Does anyone in your family use a dashcam?

saraha

Dh's truck has a dashcam. And after a near miss of being in an accident about a month ago, I'm seriously considering putting one in my car as well. Luckily, I was driving dh's truck at the time of the near miss so we had the dashcam footage that showed the other driver was completely in my lane and almost hit me head on. He swerved into the ditch at the last second but I was glad to have the footage just in case it had come into question.

• Like 1

Yes, we have one in our car and ds has one in his. 

This is what I wrote in another thread recently.

As for a dashcam, it saved ds twice. The first time he was sideswiped and the guy tried to claim ds was at fault. Dashcam video showed he wasn't. The second time he ran over a piece of rebar sticking up at a gas station. It was dark and he didn't know it was there until he heard it tearing up the radiator. Thanks to the dashcam which managed to pick it up, our insurance company reimbursed us for the cost of replacing the radiator. We also noticed that shortly after we send the video to our insurance company the gas station had the rebar cordoned off and soon fixed the problem. They must have heard from the insurance company.

Keep in mind that there are different kinds of dashcams. Ours only holds so much data before it erases and starts over. If something does happen and you have that kind of dashcam, you need to save the video before it gets written over.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Are these very expensive?

They run anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars depending on what you get. 

This is the one we have. I don't know why dh chose it and he doesn't remember. It's on a Cyber Monday deal but there are others on sale today too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EX8ATKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I follow these crash sites on social media so I do know I need one. I see a lot of bad driving in real life. And since it’s cyber Monday, I’m planning to get one today. I just don’t know if I’ll put it in front or the back. 

Dh does too which is what made him decide we need one. Ours has a front and rear camera and is mounted on the windshield next to the rearview mirror.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

They run anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars depending on what you get. 

This is the one we have. I don't know why dh chose it and he doesn't remember. It's on a Cyber Monday deal but there are others on sale today too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EX8ATKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Do you guys still like this one linked? There’s just a lot to choose from which is why I don’t have one yet. Too many choices make me indecisive.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Do you guys still like this one linked? There’s just a lot to choose from which is why I don’t have one yet. Too many choices make me indecisive.

Dh seems to like it. He's the one who felt we needed one and he bought the one for ds. I really didn't care one way or the other if we got one though I had to admit it was a good idea when it helped ds out. I hardly pay any attention to it.

Okay. I just asked him and he said he chose it because it has front and rear cameras, dual channel, wide angle cameras, and has a supercapacitor. Apparently that last thing is important in dashcam technology. It also has accident detection so it won't write over a recording of an accident. And the price was right with all those features.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Dh seems to like it. He's the one who felt we needed one and he bought the one for ds. I really didn't care one way or the other if we got one though I had to admit it was a good idea when it helped ds out. I hardly pay any attention to it.

Okay. I just asked him and he said he chose it because it has front and rear cameras, dual channel, wide angle cameras, and has a supercapacitor. Apparently that last thing is important in dashcam technology. It also has accident detection so it won't write over a recording of an accident. And the price was right with all those features.

Thanks so much! See I didn’t know what features are the most important.

• Like 1