Menu

Ethical question: a company shipped a cheap item I didn't order...

Tap

In my box from a vendor, there was an extra present. A small $4 Littlest Pet Shop toy. It wasn't on the invoice and doesn't seem to be included for any reason other than mistake. I checked the website and their return policy is simple, print a mailing label and return the item. But I will now have to go to the post office and make a special trip. The return post (their cost not mine) will cost more than the item.

Should I bother returning it or just donate it to charity?

When this has happened to me I have called and been told to keep the item or to donate the item.

I felt like it was the ethical thing to do to call and ask. I would definitely call before going to the trouble of returning it because they likely will tell you just to keep or donate.

Marie

:iagree:

One time I came home to find 2 cases of wine on my front doorstep. We had been to the winery where we had purchased 2 cases of wine and taken them with us. Someone messed up and marked our invoice as paid and items needed to be shipped. Our cc had not been charged twice.

I called the company and their reply was --- enjoy the wine on us. That wine cost well over $12/bottle @24 bottles, and even then they didn't want it returned. At least I knew I had let them know of their error.

Just call

Carole

I once received a box from American Girl that had a lamp and bookends in it, and I had never ordered from them before, and the invoice inside was in another person's name. I contacted them several times via phone and e-mail and never received a response. I stored them in our attic for a couple of years, just in case someone ever got back to me.

Then there was the time that I received two regular paperback books, that I had not ordered, from Amazon. I contacted them via e-mail and they sent a pre-paid shipping label to me so I could return the books.

Give them a call or send an e-mail.

:)

If they want you to ship it back (doubtful), the company has to send you a prepaid envelope/label. You do not have to return it on your own money. This has happened to me several times with many companies and they always covered the return postage.

:iagree:

One time I came home to find 2 cases of wine on my front doorstep. We had been to the winery where we had purchased 2 cases of wine and taken them with us. Someone messed up and marked our invoice as paid and items needed to be shipped. Our cc had not been charged twice.

I called the company and their reply was --- enjoy the wine on us. That wine cost well over $12/bottle @24 bottles, and even then they didn't want it returned. At least I knew I had let them know of their error.

Just call

Carole

WOW! That wine probably tasted great. ;)

In my box from a vendor, there was an extra present. A small $4 Littlest Pet Shop toy. It wasn't on the invoice and doesn't seem to be included for any reason other than mistake. I checked the website and their return policy is simple, print a mailing label and return the item. But I will now have to go to the post office and make a special trip. The return post (their cost not mine) will cost more than the item.

Should I bother returning it or just donate it to charity?

You could save the trip to the PO by handing the package to your carrier.

I would definitely call them. I found a *beautiful* wooden jewelry box in my last shipment from Fire Mountain. The invoice even said there was a thank you gift sent with the order. But a few days later when I went through everything, I found the little plastic star box with some beads in it and the "Thank you!" sticker on it. The jewelry box wasn't listed anywhere.

I looked it up in the catalog and it was a $20 box. I did think about it for awhile. When I did call them, I was really hoping they would say it was intended, or don't bother to send it back, but no. :D

It was pretty expensive to return, too, because of the size, I guess. They reimbursed me for that.

And I always call. Sometimes they tell me to keep it, sometimes they want it back.

Amazon once sent me five of a book instead of one, and they told me to just keep them (I gave them as gifts to my kids' cousins). Don Aslett's company sent me someone else's order plus mine, and they just told me to keep it.

Then just last week I ordered the kids a new computer desk and I got THREE of them on Thursday. Yes, THREE COMPUTER DESKS. I called, and they said that they were having warehouse problems and that Fedex would come pick it up. No further word though, and DH and decided that we would call again after Christmas if nothing happened. Well, today Fedex came and got them!

So you never know...

P.S. Actually your mail carrier can pick up any package of any weight from your box if they wish to provide that service. It's not required and some mail carriers refuse to do it though, so it pays to ask. You can also request a pickup by calling the Post Office they're based from if you use certain types of postage, and they require 24 hours notice. Mine is willing to do one package per day of any size without any notice as long as it's at the mailbox (we have a long driveway) or if I give it directly to him. I do a lot of Click-n-Ship from http://www.usps.gov and Paypal shipping of used curriculum and eBay items.

Edited by GVA

I also suggest calling... last year this happened to us, and the extra item was for someone's child for Christmas, put in the wrong box.

I thought it was a cheap nothing, but I called first the company (they said keep it, they'd ship another) and then the person (who's name was on another invoice inside) to tell them we received it by accident. Turned out it was their #1 Christmas gift for their child, and they were really glad to know it wouldn't be there before Christmas. The company shipped them another one, but had not contacted them to say it would be delayed.

Like the others here, I've received duplicate items. I once ordered a carseat online, and I received two on separate dates. I called the company and they said it wasn't worth the hassle of figuring out what to do with it, and the subsequent paperwork if I were to return it, so I ended up with a second seat for our second vehicle.

I always call, and usually they tell me to keep the item. I figure it's better to let them know, and then I don't have to feel like I've stolen something by taking advantage of their error.

Could it have been a bonus item? Sometimes companies 'reward' customers with a little something (usually rather inexpensive) for purchasing from them.

Yes--dh used to have fun doing this when shipping out computers to customers. Snickers bars were, for some strange reason, on the order screen along w/ these specially-figured corporate computers. When entering the info for the warehouse, he'd throw in a candy bar. I don't know why, but it cracked him up & made him feel like he was spreading a little sunshine. :001_huh: :lol:

Oh man, I'm going to Heck for sure. No way would I be visiting websites or making phone calls about a $4 Littlest Pet Shop toy. Something bigger or unknown, sure.

I was actually insanely annoyed with Levenger for wanting me to return two small journals, remainder item, cost of eight dollars total. One was (very) damaged, so they sent a new set. Instead of sending a return label, they wanted me to go to a certain site, log in, print a label - sheesh! Lotsa hoops to jump through to fix THEIR mistake, imo. And, even if they had been sensible enought to just send a return label with the new shipment, I was going to have to package it (part of a much larger order, so couldn't use original packaging). All of this for one four-dollar journal.

//end rant

I would just call them and tell them. Companies don't require you to pay shipping -- they would arrange for a pickup. It would be up to the company to determine if they wanted to hassle with it.

That's what I would do with any item I received that I didn't pay for -- regardless of the amount.

Oh man, I'm going to Heck for sure. No way would I be visiting websites or making phone calls about a $4 Littlest Pet Shop toy. Something bigger or unknown, sure.

I was actually insanely annoyed with Levenger for wanting me to return two small journals, remainder item, cost of eight dollars total. One was (very) damaged, so they sent a new set. Instead of sending a return label, they wanted me to go to a certain site, log in, print a label - sheesh! Lotsa hoops to jump through to fix THEIR mistake, imo. And, even if they had been sensible enought to just send a return label with the new shipment, I was going to have to package it (part of a much larger order, so couldn't use original packaging). All of this for one four-dollar journal.

//end rant

Well, I feel like you do. I recently bought a package of fluorescent 4 foot long bulbs. One was bad. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a check for $1.39 and a packing label. ???? What in the world? Did they really expect me to pack up that 4 foot long bulb? Well...I didn't do it. And I did cash the check. So there.

What in the world? Did they really expect me to pack up that 4 foot long bulb? Well...I didn't do it. And I did cash the check. So there.

I agree with you. I'm just saying that I always let the company know that they made a mistake. I refuse to go out of my way to rectify their mistake, though.