800 g challenge- Join in!

Soror

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday-

Breakfast - 1/2 cup of blueberries 

Lunch - two cups of radicchio and lettuce salad, and maybe 1 1/2 cups of beans and leeks. Medium apple.

Snack - cup of carrot sticks with cheese

Supper - mushroom and silken tofu soup

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Friday:

Smoothie with beets and strawberries 100g

Beet muffin 10g

salad with spinach, cucumber, bell pepper, purple onion, and tomato 200g

grapes 200g

banana 130g

lemon cream sauce with bell pepper and onion 40g

apple 100g

....I'll get some carrot sticks to get up to 800 for the day

• Like 3

I'm traveling so having to work at getting veggies with no place to cook.  The last two days have had each about 2 cups of veg combined, no fruit. Lettuce, cukes, onions, tomato.  Looking forward to some Thai veggie stir fry tonight but still will only get about 3 cups today. 

• Like 1

Urgh I keep forgetting to post.

I was short a bit on Thursday and Friday. Wednesday I finished it off with carrots. Thursday I considered having some broccoli to get up to the 800g but I wasn't hungry so I decided against it.

I'm not feeling 100% and have been a bit tired.

Yesterday- pears- 1 cup, salad- 2 cups, apple- 1 cup, broccoli mix- 2 cups. 6 cups but lettuce is light.

Today: pears- 1 cup, blueberries- 1 cup, broccoli mix- 2 cups, 1- cup cuties, 1- cup grapes. Dinner is Brussels sprouts and potato. 

• Like 2

Saturday:  B Smoothie with beet (50g) and raspberry (50g)

L  carrot sticks (100g) Left over pizza (??20 g veggies)

S grapes (200g)

D Soup (120g)

Potatoes and Onion (50g)

Tomato and basil (120g)

Will have to snack on some bell pepper or a piece of fruit to get to 800 for the day.

DH has been in the hospital and is home recovering.  I am monitoring his food and liquid intake closely--so I have been measuring everything.  It has been surprising.  It is fairly easy to eat 200g of grapes without even realizing it.  But, for other things I would really overestimate how much I was getting if I didn't measure.  I made soup with 200g of carrots, 200g of onion, 200g of celery, chicken broth, garlic, 1lb chicken thighs, 400g cannelini beans, and 150g of spinach--almost everything in the soup counted...but I ate about 1/10 of pot so it ended up contributing only 120g.   And, it was a big bowl of spinach I put in the soup, but that was only 150g of spinach.   

• Like 4

I'm sorry to hear about your husband  @Bootsie.

I'm sure I was short on Saturday. The cafe where we ate lunch was mostly white bread sandwiches. I had the veggie soup but it probably didn't add up to much

Sunday 

lunch - 300g cauliflower and 100g mushrooms 

Snack - large apple and carrot sticks

supper - hmmm. Broccoli and peas probably plus some veg and quince in the stew.

• Like 3

Sunday

l- 50 g peppers and carrots 

snack- 600 g watermelon 🙂 this feels like cheating! 

d- I made minestrone that was so good! I doubled the veggies and beans and added up all the grams. Hard to tell how many servings it will end up being, but I'm saying at least 250 g for tonight .
85 g mandarin 

I usually finish my meals with a piece of dark chocolate, but with all the news on that I’m going to at least try to alternate chocolate with fruit instead. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 1:08 PM, Grace Hopper said:

This sounds great - but a lot of my veggies are in soup so I will have to think about how to know how many grams I’m consuming. I do have an easy kitchen scale for measuring grams so I’m sure I can figure something out. 

I believe the key to success in this is to make changes to the standard American breakfast - which I’ve already done by eating soup for breakfast, but expect that redefining breakfast would be helpful for anyone taking on this challenge. 

Same here. This is the time of year when I make a ton of soups and stews. I need to think about how to calculate this.

Also, is this group counting legumes as veg? I eat a lot of legumes for the iron. So my lunch yesterday was a medium size Yukon gold potato roasted and then topped with an entire can of drained black beans. I think it would have been around 200-240 grams of legumes. 140ish grams for the potato, and later 2 cups of leafy greens which is only 28 grams but two servings of vegetables, and then I would need to calculate the dried tomatoes I had on it plus the carrots,  scallions, and red peppers. I do have a good scale for this. I just need to remember to measure before I eat. I also had hummus at supper. Ya. I am going to need an answer on the legumes. Lentils as well. I know some folks don't think of lentils as veg.

• Like 2

Y’all. I did great the first two days but went to a conference that had food catered in and ate all the stuff I’m not supposed to. Not only did I miss the fruit and veggie mark, I’m now dealing with a diverticulitis flare up. Scope is on the calendar. 🙄 So I will have to bow out for now while I eat mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. 

@Faith-manor I did not yet figure out the soup aside from weighing the whole bowl and guessing percentage of veg, keeping in mind that saturated veggies are heavy (so I took off weight for that).

• Like 2

I’ll be ornery and mention that the easiest way to do this is cruise. 😂 I always love that cut up fruit just appears, even in winter when it’s so $$$. Magical. 

Two super power suggestions. One, keep a bag of apples on the counter. One apple is basically one cup. If you keep bananas on the counter, that’s another half to one cup. But apples on the counter just remind me to eat them. Two, frozen kale. Adds instant veg to your life with no work, no waste. I use it to fill half my pasta bowl. Bonus tip. Sweet potatoes in the instant pot are so easy. 

I’ve eaten this way for years and I find the trick is to be practical. If nobody else is eating it I need to buy it frozen or portionable to reduce waste. You can even buy butternut squash this way. I buy guacamole in the little portions at Walmart and freeze them. I’m not saying disposable is nice but I’m realistic about what gets it done.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

@Faith-manor- beans count for this challenge. No nuts, seeds, or dried anything. The originator states you can go by cups instead of grams except for leafy greens which you really need to weigh.  Roasted vegetables are weighed after roasting- in the form you eat. 

Okay, so I can't weigh and add in the dehydrated red peppers, tomatoes, and scallions that I use. Bummer. I have a ton of those from my garden that I preserved for winter...of course without the water, they do not weigh much. An entire servings of red pepper would be only be a fraction of its mass fresh. Then again, I am lazy, so if I have to weigh my leafy greens, I may just make up the salad without any kind of dressing or non veg topping like boiled egg, and then weigh the whole thing because they won't add much. It is also easier than weighing carrots, then moving them to the side, weighing broccoli and then beans individually, and then assembling.

@Faith-manor- I think you do what works for you. No one is keeping score here. If you’re doing more than you did before then it’s a win in my book.  I’m sure she had reasons to come up with the challenge rules, probably some uniformity in addition to health reasons. When I did this challenge at work and we did keep score, I got a little too obsessed with the whole thing. This time I’m trying to be intentional, but not consumed. 
I honestly don’t remember about dried veggies being specifically mentioned. Dried fruit I can see not counting, because of the sugar content. But I can’t see why whole food dried veggies wouldn’t be similar to roasted veggies? But, I’ve never eaten them that way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Aw shucks. Maybe try apples on the counter? Some are big meaning two=three cups! If you slice the apples and have them out you’ll nibble them instead of junk.

Oh, I was totally okay with eating junk yesterday! :)  Until recently, I had been gluten free for 15 years.  I am allowing myself to indulge a little bit on all.the.things.  So I had a cinnamon roll for breakfast, Burger King for lunch for the first time in over a decade, and spaghetti for dinner.  Spaghetti used to be my favorite food and this was the first time I had had it in 15 years.  I would have eaten a salad for my bedtime snack (which has become the norm) but I just wasn't hungry.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

@Faith-manor- I think you do what works for you. No one is keeping score here. If you’re doing more than you did before then it’s a win in my book.  I’m sure she had reasons to come up with the challenge rules, probably some uniformity in addition to health reasons. When I did this challenge at work and we did keep score, I got a little too obsessed with the whole thing. This time I’m trying to be intentional, but not consumed. 
I honestly don’t remember about dried veggies being specifically mentioned. Dried fruit I can see not counting, because of the sugar content. But I can’t see why whole food dried veggies wouldn’t be similar to roasted veggies? But, I’ve never eaten them that way.

I agree. There are no fruit and veggie police here. Improving food quality is my goal. 

For anyone curious here are the "rules" with the ok foods followed by the not allowed. It doesn't mean that the ones that don't count aren't healthy they just don't count for the purposes of this challenge as fruits and vegetables. 

These are the foods that count:

• Applesauce (if without added water, juice, or sugar)
    • Avocado
    • Baby food/squeeze packs (if without added water, sugar, juice, protein, etc)
    • Beans, legumes, lentils
    • Canned items (if in water and spices only (weighed drained))
    • Coconut (fresh/frozen chunks)
    • Corn (frozen kernels or corn on the cob)
    • Edamame if not dried
    • Fermented/pickled foods (e.g., kimchi, sauerkraut, pickles) if the brine doesn’t have sugar
    • Guacamole if the entire ingredient list is only fruits and veggies. See "Recipes" in this column
    • Hummus (yes if homemade, no if store-bought. See "Recipes" in this column)
    • Olives
    • Peas
    • Potatoes if they are not commercially fried. As for mashed potatoes, See "Recipes" in this column
    • Recipes – you can count qualifying fruits and veggies in recipes if you can weigh before mixing; just estimate your portion
    • Salsa if without added water, oil, or sugar. See "Recipes" in this column
    • Smoothies (usually homemade only can count. See "Recipes" in this column)
    • Tomato sauce/diced tomateos if without added water, oil, or sugar

• No, They Don't Count!

• Dried anything (including fruit, veggie chips,
        coconut flakes)
      • Cornmeal
      • Juices or milks of any kind
      • Commercially fried anything like french fries or
        tempura
      • Flours regardless of source
      • Grains of any kind (e.g., quinoa, buckwheat)
      • Nuts including peanuts (a legume) & seeds
      • Pasta (like bean pasta)
      • Popcorn
      • Store-bought items made with fruits or veggies but pre-
        mixed with juice, water, oil, sugar (such as smoothies,
        soups, sauces, hummus, etc.)
      • Tofu

•  
  • Like 1

Yesterday for me:

1 cup blueberries and 1 cup cuties;

200 ish g of salad- spinach, argula, and tomatoes estimated by volume based on servings in the containers

2 ish cups broccoli, cabbage, and carrots

Today so far just 1 cup blueberries. I'll make stir-fried veggies (bell peppers, onions, cabbage, and broccoli) at lunch to go with some baked tofu.I plan to have 3 cups of veggies with lunch. I'll also have an apple at some point. That just leaves me with 1ish cup to go.

I don't know what's going on with dinner. dd1 is cooking but may or may not be having boyfriend over and can't make up her mind. I plan the menu 1 month at a time and every other day is filled in but today. She had planned one thing but he doesn't like it and come to find out he's incredibly picky so he might not come anyway because she can't figure out anything to cook for him. 

• Like 1

I think I'm mostly hitting. my easier goal of 5 servings a day. It is definitely taking some thought and planning in the morning and I've had a couple of 9:00pm "snacks" of salad or apple. But now I'm out of grapes and that's one of my reliable servings! I think I'll try to hit Trader Joe's after work.

• Like 1

Okay, so I think the thing with dehydrated veggies is that so many people do not eat true dried vegetables, which have nothing added, but instead veggie chips or straws which often are low amounts of GenZ and high amount of binding agents like corn starch, oil, etc. So I am going to "do me" and count my red pepper and scallions, plus the cherry tomatoes that I put on my salads.

I am making chicken, veg, dumpling soup tonight. I think when I assemble the ingredients, onions, carrots, peas, green beans, and dried red peppers, I will weigh them all together, divide by the approximate servings in the volume of soup, and then try to count it that way. I will do the same when I make my meatless chili this week which will be two quarts of home canned tomatoes plus a can of pinto beans and a can of kidney beans, plus two cups diced carrots, and a couple of red chili peppers from my garden. I can weigh the peppers and carrots together, drain the cans of beans and weigh them together, and then add that to the 64 oz of tomatoes but convert to grams, then estimate the number of cups in the pot with one cup being a serving.

Ya. I don't want to obsess because that defeats the purpose and adds stress which isn't healthy. But I am intrigued to see how close I get with my current style of cooking and food preferences. As a general rule, I was trying for a minimum of 5 servings of veg a day. I keep fruit to mostly just granny smith apples some citrus. My mom and brother are type diiabetic so I try to keep my fructose intake low. So far I have not had any high or even borderline high A1C numbers which is good.

• Like 2

I think that the reason "dehydrated" isn't counted in the original challenge is that the two things that are being encouraged by the challenge are a lot of fiber and a lot of water.  Much of the 100g weight is water weight.  100g of dehydrated fruit have the fiber, but concentrated sugar and no water content.  (and fruit juices maintain the water but lose the fiber).  Dried fruit is typically eaten in its dried state, but if you are rehydrating dehydrated veggies, in a soup for example, I would count them.  

For those of you who are eating large salads and soups, I am curious what you serve them in.  I measured my soup bowls, and they hold 1 2/3 cups, filled to the brim.  I have some big soup mugs and they hold 1 3/4 cups.  I have been eating my salad out of a salad serving bowl, and I am still finding that I am not getting as many grams as I would have thought I was by guestimating.  

Edited by Bootsie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I think that the reason "dehydrated" isn't counted in the original challenge is that the two things that are being encouraged by the challenge are a lot of fiber and a lot of water.  Much of the 100g weight is water weight.  100g of dehydrated fruit have the fiber, but concentrated sugar and no water content.  (and fruit juices maintain the water but lose the fiber).  Dried fruit is typically eaten in its dried state, but if you are rehydrating dehydrated veggies, in a soup for example, I would count them.  

For those of you who are eating large salads and soups, I am curious what you serve them in.  I measured my soup bowls, and they hold 1 2/3 cups, filled to the brim.  I have some big soup mugs and they hold 1 3/4 cups.  

I have an old school serving bowl that I use for salads, soups, and stir fry. It holds 4.5 cups. I have a pasta bowl for smaller meals that holds 3 cups. Usually I have bigger meals at lunch and smaller at dinner. 

14 minutes ago, Junie said:

For my salads, I use a Corelle serving bowl.  It holds 8 cups. 

That is great. I am going to use one that holds 4 cups. I don't think I can eat more than that because I really do just get so full when I have that much leafy green, and then I end up not getting enough of the other high iron things I need. I do use spinach, but I find it a bit bitter so it can't be the bulk of the greens or I will end up being rather turned off to my salad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

I think that the reason "dehydrated" 

For those of you who are eating large salads and soups, I am curious what you serve them in.  I measured my soup bowls, and they hold 1 2/3 cups, filled to the brim.  I have some big soup mugs and they hold 1 3/4 cups.  I have been eating my salad out of a salad serving bowl, and I am still finding that I am not getting as many grams as I would have thought I was by guestimating.  

I eat a serving bowl full of salad - I'm not relying on salad to meet my goal though.

• Like 1

It is also interesting how much incorrect information there is on the internet, even from what looks like reliable sources.  I have seen the weight of one cup of raw spinach listed from 24 to 250g on different sites!  I think 30g per cup is about average.  100g equals about 0.22 pounds.  So, for those of us more used to pounds/ounces, a one pound box of raw spinach is about 450g of spinach.  So, it takes eating half of that box to get in 225g of spinach.  

I keep thinking I am filling the blender full of spinach for a smoothie or that I am putting handfuls of spinach in my soup--then I look and see how much is still in that one pound box...

• Like 2

For anyone who is eating actual dehydrated veggies and want to count them since they are nutritionally the equivalent of fresh, I have some conversions for you.

I just weighed 7 cherry tomatoes, my garden dehydrated ones which were a fairly typical size when fresh. They weighed 2 grams. 7 cherry tomatoes is considered a serving of veg. The issue is that dehydrated removes all the water content yet it doesn't change the nutritional content. Fresh, that would be 105-130 grams. Water is all that is lost. 

A serving of bell pepper dehydrated is just 1 tbsp because 1 cup of dehydrated bell pepper well diced creates a tbsp or 6 cups of fresh diced bell pepper makes 2/3 cup dehydrated peppers. That tbsp will be roughly 9 grams, raw that would be 125-140 grams possibly a little more depending on how packed your measuring cup was. Sigh. Metric is so much easier than imperial!!!

Scallions dehydrated, 1/4 oz or 1 tbsp is the equivalent to 1 cup of fresh chopped. Dried it will weigh roughly 7 grams. 1 cup fresh is 106 grams.

So if you are eating any pure, dried veg - not food additive dried franken food - you can count your serving sizes of dried to your total number of daily servings even if it doesn't help much towards the 800 gram total. But, because the only thing lost is the volume of water, you could also add the grams of what it would have been fresh to your total. For instance, my lunch salad is 1 cup spinach, 2 cups spring greens, 8 dried cherry tomatoes, 1 tbsp dried red pepper, 1 tbsp, scallions, a few chopped banana pepper rings, and 1 cup of black beans and comes to an approximate total of 550-560 grams if everything was fresh/frozen. It is also 8 servings of veg.

• Like 3

I had my minestrone for all three meals today:) so, maybe 600 g total - maybe less. I’m getting more servings from it than I anticipated- Spinach, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, onion, celery, cannellini beans. 

100 g strawberries 

100 g clementine 

50 g pineapple

150 g apple 

• Like 1

I don't own a food scale (or any other kind of scale), so I kinda feel like I can't really do this challenge effectively.  But I eat my salads at preschool, and my approach is to take a 2 cup tupperware container and cram it so full of spinach and kale that I cannot push down to make any more room.  The difference in the amount of densely packed spinach and kale and spinach in a bowl is pretty extreme.  

But most of my measurements are things like, "three large handfuls of blueberries" or "fill up the cereal bowl most of the way with baby carrots."  

Which isn't really an exact measurement.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I don't own a food scale (or any other kind of scale), so I kinda feel like I can't really do this challenge effectively.  But I eat my salads at preschool, and my approach is to take a 2 cup tupperware container and cram it so full of spinach and kale that I cannot push down to make any more room.  The difference in the amount of densely packed spinach and kale and spinach in a bowl is pretty extreme.  

But most of my measurements are things like, "three large handfuls of blueberries" or "fill up the cereal bowl most of the way with baby carrots."  

Which isn't really an exact measurement.

I think it sounds like you are doing really well.

• Like 1

@Terabith- her other measurement tool is to make a fist- that’s approx the size of a cup. 6 cups is approx 800 grams. She uses this approximation for everything but leafy greens. But, again, it’s whatever works for you. Her goal is really just to get people eating more Whole Foods, especially fruits and vegetables instead of processed foods, even “healthy” processed foods like she found a lot of cross fitters were eating. Sounds like you’re already doing that. 

• Like 3

Today was much more healthful. :)

Breakfast -- pomegranate arils

Lunch -- a huge salad -- mixed greens, cucumber, tomato, avocado, black olives, red onion, dried cherries

Dinner -- carrots, fruit salad (oranges, strawberries, kiwi)

I don't have the measurements, but I'm pretty sure it would be 800+ grams.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

Anyone have any idea on the reasoning behind dried edamame not counting?  Dried edamame is one of my lunch time staples.  I kinda rotate it with lentils and sometimes black beans, tho lately I haven't really been hungry enough for my legumes.  

I am not sure, but it may have something to do with Edamame being immature seed of the plant. Edamame is higher in protein and unsaturated fat compared to a green bean, and lower in vitamin C and beta carotene. In terms of black beans, the edamame is much higher in fat, but much lower in the trace minerals that are typically some of the focus of eating more veggies like magnesium and potassium.

• Like 2

I ended up having 4 cups of veggies in my lunch stir fry so I hit my goal by lunch. I also had around 40 g of pumpkin in my breakfast (pumpkin waffles- I forgot to count that) and 30-40 g of zucchini in my dinner (lasagna made with zucchini instead of noodles)

Today:

breakfast- 1 cup of blueberries - 40 ish g of pumpkin 

lunch- another stir fry- today I have carrots, red bell pepper, and cauliflower- aiming for 4 cups because that kept me satiated

snack- large apple

dinner- tacos- my veggies will be homemade guac, tomatoes, and onion in homemade pico, pinto beans and lettuce

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

I am going to report early today in case I am busy sewing tonight.

I am having broccoli pasta salad for lunch. 2 cups of broccoli so about 140 grams, and then some red pepper and banana pepper which probably makes up a half cup so may 35 grams.

For supper I am making meatless chili which will be two quarts of tomatoes plus a small little can of tomato paste, a can of pinto beans, a can of dark red kidney beans, and two cups of diced carrots. These are my home canned tomatoes, and they average 2-3 lbs of tomatoes per jar. So this will be somewhere in the 1800-2000 grams range without the carrots and the two kinds of beans. Probably in the 2500 grams range. It makes up in volume something like 7 cups total which would be in the ballpark of 357 grams per cup. I will eat two cups

So 175 for lunch and 704 for lunch. 

I am beginning to think my soups that are heavy on veg will be my way forward to make sure I am meeting the goal of 7 servings of veg a day.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Terabith said:

Anyone have any idea on the reasoning behind dried edamame not counting?  Dried edamame is one of my lunch time staples.  I kinda rotate it with lentils and sometimes black beans, tho lately I haven't really been hungry enough for my legumes.  

It isn't the fact that it is edamame that it is not counting; the challenge excludes any dried items, whether it is edamame, grapes, kale etc.  Part of the challenge is getting the bulk--fiber and water content--of the fruits and vegetables.  The drying process elimnates the water content.  And, juice from fruits and vegetables eliminate the fiber.  You can still get nutritional benefits from eating dried items or juices but you don't get the same bulk and feeling of being full.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Monday - lunch - cup of carlin peas and squash. Cup of carrot sticks. Large apple

Snack  - cup of stewed apple

Supper - 1 1/2 cups of aubergine. Half cup of snow peas.

Tuesday  -  lunch - cup of carlin peas and squash. Cup of carrot sticks. Medium apple and Mandarin. 

Snack  - cup of stewed apple

Supper - cup of peas

Snack - cup of blueberries. 

• Like 3

Still not counting due to GI flare but I did make soup to freeze. My typical random veggie soup - zucchini, yellow squash, celery, onion, carrot, can of diced tomatoes, veggie broth - all the items weighed pre-cooking (and tomatoes drained). After cooking I portioned it out to 6 containers, first scooping in equal veggie portions and then pouring broth over. Each 1.5 cup mathed out to ~226g per serving. Would have been more but I forgot to add potatoes to the pot. Add some fruit at breakfast and this will get in a big portion of the goal at the start of  the day. 

Anyway that’s the method I used, in case anyone finds it helpful. 

• Like 1