Menu

800 g challenge- Join in!

Soror

I'm still not getting to 800g of fruits and vegetables, which is why I'm really liking this challenge... It's definitely giving me something to work toward.  And I have found that the only way I will ever get there is if I eliminate some of the less nutrient dense foods in my diet, which is definitely a good goal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

@Bootsie- how are you eating the pumpkin and cranberry? Those are two plant products I never eat that sound yummy! 

I made some moffins with pumpkin puree and fresh cranberries.  The fresh cranberries soften up in the muffins as they cook; they have a bit of a tart taste (unlike dried, sweetened cranberry craisins).  I will also put whole, frozen cranberries in the blender for a smoothie; I have found they blend well with an orange, with raspberries, and with strawberries.  Especially with the orange and yogurt, there is a bit of a tart taste, but I like that; my husband wants some homey added to it.  

We also add pumpkin to pancake batter, cake mixes, etc. when we have some extra on hand.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday - out of the house all day - had some grapes and a banana

Tuesday - lots of appointments, but had the leftover sweet thai chili chicken lettuce wrap (so lettuce, peppers, onions, garlic, carrots), something else I'm not remembering...

Today - apple, and I have no idea what they're serving us at the staff meeting tonight (hopefully, I can count something there). 

Edit: meeting - I had a wrap with lettuce, onion, tomato, and jalapeno (soooo many jalapenos - I wanted to cry from the jalapenos actually, but we had a guest speaker, so I had to suffer in silence). 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Haha 2

Lunch :

2 cups fresh shredded spinach

1 cup potatoes

1/2 cup red pepper

1/2 cup celery

1/2 cup scallions

This was eaten cooked with scrambled eggs. It was a very nice change from salad.

Supper:

Beef vegetable stew. Very heavy on veggies, and legumes. I had two cups.

It was 6 ish servings of veggies. Probably around 600 grams.

Ate a clementine just a few minutes ago. But I didn't weigh it.

• Like 1

Cabbage and zucchini 

walnuts and almonds

pinto beans, greens, a whole kubocha squash, kale

I'm getting the hang of it, but man that's a lot of veg - I have very little appetite for anything else which might be the point.

Editing: I just read the original link and nuts don't count.  And leafy greens are on top of it all!  I'm a little slow.

Edited by Eos

I didn't meet the goal yesterday--I was exhausted and went to bed without eating what I planned for dinner--but I added all of fruit I had cut up to a smoothie today, so I have more than made up the difference today.

Friday:

B-- pumpkin and cranberry 50g

L--smoothie with orange, apple, pear, cranberry, pommegranate  600g

D--green beans, potatoes, tomato, 300g

S--remainder of smooth 200g

Cabbage, celery, cilantro, and zucchini

an avocado 

cranberries

Beets, carrots, red cabbage, onions, garlic, celery

This challenge is really working for me, thanks for starting it @Soror!  When I went shopping yesterday I had to really focus on getting the veggies on hand.  

Edited by Eos

Haven't been posting. I am with the grandkids which is a marvelous distraction! Suffice it to say, I am eating a lot of vegetables and legumes. Lots. But, I don't have the desire to deal with weighing and estimating when I kids to snuggle, read to, and chase.

Edited by Faith-manor
Typos

Brussels sprouts and scallions 

avocado

cabbage, sweet potato, more brussels sprouts, cucumber, onion, parsley, lemon chunks

pomegranate seeds

I've realized how little fruit I eat.  I really only eat apples and occasional berries.  Being in CA last week let me eat loads of delicious fruits but back home they just don't appeal.

Yesterday was the best day (healthy food-wise) in a while.

Huge salad for lunch: mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, garbanzo beans, black olives, red onion

Dinner: baby potatoes, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, red onion, broccoli

I didn't measure anything, but I'm hoping it was close to 800 g.

• Like 2

I finally found a heavy green!  I bought some baby collards at the farmstand and they are heavy enough to count.

Zucchini, collards, cukes, carrots, avocado, and onions yesterday.  Close to 800 g and I feel like I'm turning green 🙂 

• Like 3

Still not worrying about weighing food. The grandkids keep me hopping! I did have two cups of brussel sprouts, and two cups of salad yesterday plus a cup of hummus, and a tangerine/clementine. Not sure if I got anywhere near the ballpark of 800 grams, but it was lots of fiber and servings of veg/fruit.

• Like 2

I'm still alive. After I recovered from the busyness of early last week came my period, which is never a fun time. As my period was ending (I have short 3-day cycles) I came down with a stomach bug. At first, I thought it was period crap, but nope. I'm still not 100% but I'm improving. Doing the best I can! I've heard worst bugs but I've certainly felt better.

yesterday was- raspberries, kidney beans, black beans

Monday: raspberries, kidney beans, 2 different salads with various assorted veggies, apple

Sunday: raspberries, salad mix, avocado (homemade guac), black beans, tomatoes, romaine, bell peppers, onion, kidney beans

eta: I thought I'd posted early last week but now I can't find it. I guess I never hit post and closed the window. Now, my memory isn't good enough to go back that far.

I didn't make the goal last Monday. We went out of town and I ate pizza (gf). Tuesday, Wed, and Thurs I believe I made it. Friday probably not. Saturday yes.

Edited by Soror

Each of the last two days I've made this goal.  Yesterday I had 2 -3 cups each of zucchini, brussel sprouts, and bok choi with some greens and onions thrown in. Today I've had turnips and tatsoi, an entire cauliflower, sweet potato, felafel, carrots, and leafy greens. 

Edited by Eos

I've had some strange stomach issues all month really, some days worse than others. I don't know what is happening or what I should be eating, but lately it's been low fiber carbs. Yesterday I did have two small bowls of veggie soup and some mixed veggies at dinner. The day before I had carrots and peppers. 

1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I've had some strange stomach issues all month really, some days worse than others. I don't know what is happening or what I should be eating, but lately it's been low fiber carbs. Yesterday I did have two small bowls of veggie soup and some mixed veggies at dinner. The day before I had carrots and peppers. 

I wonder if it's related to this high fiber challenge?  Yikes!

Today I had Breakfast--150 g of mixed fruit (apple, blackberries, orange, and strawberries).

Lunch--200g of roasted sweet potato and raw spinach

Dinner-250g of potatoes and onions

Snack 150g of mixed fruit

I'll be 50g short of the goal unless I grab some carrot sticks for a snack.  

• Like 1

Wednesday:  Lunch  175 grams of tomato, cilantro, onion

Dinner:  250 grams of mixed fruit (orange, apple, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries)

150grams of potatoes and onions

Snack  250 grams of red, orange, yellow, and green bell pepper and carrot sticks

• Like 1

breakfast: pomegranate arils (a few tablespoons)

lunch: broccoli (about 1 cup)

pasta sauce with mushrooms, peppers, and onions (about 1 cup)

pineapple (about 1/2 cup)

dinner: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots (about 1 cup)

black beans (a few tablespoons)

mandarin oranges (about 1 cup)

TOTAL: about 5 cups

• Like 1