Menu

World problems/news ( Used to be Anybody concerned about Friday, then I changed it to concerned about world problems)

TravelingChris

29 minutes ago, popmom said:

I appreciate your perspective and I agree with you both. They absolutely deserve better compensation. 

I do think something needs to give with car prices. I think there would be a market for an old school no frills car. I mean, there are definitely some safety features that I don’t see as a “frill”—like back up cameras and airbags…

Dh has been priced out of pretty much any full or mid size truck on the market. He has to buy new or nearly new every 3-4 years due to the requirements of the Runzheimer program.  His company dropped the requirement several years ago that he had to buy a truck, so last time he got a Subaru Forester because they are much less than a truck. He likes it, but he doesn’t drive around quarries in it like he did when he had a truck. 

Oh, absolutely agree. They do not build simple designs. Built in obsolescence with the nifty add ons. We drive the old early model Toyota Siennas into the ground. We used to also get crazy high miles on those early GM Saturns and Ford Tauruses.  The Sienna we use for van camping has 260,000 miles on it and still going strong. Oil changes, oil filters air filters, and occasional transmission oil change, tires, brake pads. The energizer bunny of vehicles. Mark says when it hits 325,000 or so it will start having issues so then we buy another older but lower mileage Sienna. 

It is just like appliances. Greed run stunningly wild. My grandmother's clothes dryer lasted 40 years. I can't get 10 out of one now. Meanwhile the planet burns.....this constant replacement of junk is murdering the world from the sheer consumption of natural resources to produce and the water consumption and pollution created not to mention the unholy size junkyards. But, the 2% don't give a damn, and they buy off the policy makers so I do not see this problem going away. We are doing fine with our GM Equinox as is ds who drives one, but eventually we will probably be driving only Toyota's for the longevity as well as the fuel conservation on hybrid models as well possibly full electric for local running.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SHP said:

So I take it that no one herre knows the status of the pension for UAW

It is in negotiations, and neither side has divulged where they are at in detail on that issue. I have a feeling the Big 3 will absolutely not relent on that, but may agree to a higher employer matching contribution to the 401K. But I am just speculating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popmom said:

I have not read or heard anything about it. 

I’m always surprised to hear when anyone has a pension they are so rare now.

Right? And when people talk about them they are often clueless and operating under false assumptions and often have no clue about PBGC or that a good pension and retirement insurance can be locked in after 5 years and you don't need to stay with the same employer for your entire career with some unions. 

53 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

It is in negotiations, and neither side has divulged where they are at in detail on that issue. I have a feeling the Big 3 will absolutely not relent on that, but may agree to a higher employer matching contribution to the 401K. But I am just speculating.

401k really cannot beat a good pension so likely. Looking at retirement in 15 years with a 401K that tanked in 2008 and again recently there is no way it will reach the amount needed to have the same retirement income as the pension. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SHP said:

Right? And when people talk about them they are often clueless and operating under false assumptions and often have no clue about PBGC or that a good pension and retirement insurance can be locked in after 5 years and you don't need to stay with the same employer for your entire career with some unions. 

401k really cannot beat a good pension so likely. Looking at retirement in 15 years with a 401K that tanked in 2008 and again recently there is no way it will reach the amount needed to have the same retirement income as the pension. 

Agreed 100%. 401K sucks, especially because you have to be 59.5 to withdraw without penalty so there is no opportunity to take the money and invest elsewhere, even just to fund a spouse/S.O. IRA or just pay off a mortgage or medical debt or whatever. It makes people sitting ducks. But I am also pretty certain they are going to have to capitulate. If the idiotic stupid powers that be would lower Medicare to 59.5 so it matched up, then my husband and many his age would retire and just do something on the side that they love making room for advancement for Millennials and Gen Z, but no one can afford to do it because healthcare. Universal healthcare all around would make a massive difference.

If the big 3 didn't pay roughly a billion a year for insurance that they have to negotiate across state lines and pay HR to figure out and manage, they could put a significant amount of that in pension fund. (They won't though, we all know it.) However, saying they have to pay $4000 per employee into the universal healthcare plan - Medicaid for everyone - would add tremendous dollars to the system, save the companies money, and no one would have to worry about losing healthcare coverage for retiring early, changing jobs, or being "downsized". If employer controlled healthcare got phased out in favor of corporate/business contribution on a sliding scale based on business income so small businesses catch a major break yet still contribute something, it would pay for itself in spades. We pay such a ridiculous amount of GDP for medical care while a crap ton of people are actually rationing medical because they still can't afford it. So effing stupid. Company pensions might return, it might be something negotiable, if this happened. But there is NO way I can see that the Big 3 are going to bring that back much less any other industry in current circumstances, and they have just about zero incentive to do so as long as the nation is going to continue to cowtow to corporate talking heads and the wealthy 1%. When dh worked early in his career at EDS, there was still a pension, and it was a solid thing. Then when EDS got sold to HP, pensions had to be cashed out and put in 401K. Most of the money was lost when that happened since it was so close to the 2008/9 debacle.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, popmom said:

do think something needs to give with car prices. I think there would be a market for an old school no frills car. I mean, there are definitely some safety features that I don’t see as a “frill”—like back up cameras and airbags…

Just as a funny, I saw a meme earlier saying we need off brand cars, like Hadillac or Toyolla.   I’d totally buy a Sam’s choice mini van.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh, absolutely agree. They do not build simple designs. Built in obsolescence with the nifty add ons. We drive the old early model Toyota Siennas into the ground. We used to also get crazy high miles on those early GM Saturns and Ford Tauruses.  The Sienna we use for van camping has 260,000 miles on it and still going strong. Oil changes, oil filters air filters, and occasional transmission oil change, tires, brake pads. The energizer bunny of vehicles. Mark says when it hits 325,000 or so it will start having issues so then we buy another older but lower mileage Sienna. 

It is just like appliances. Greed run stunningly wild. My grandmother's clothes dryer lasted 40 years. I can't get 10 out of one now. Meanwhile the planet burns.....this constant replacement of junk is murdering the world from the sheer consumption of natural resources to produce and the water consumption and pollution created not to mention the unholy size junkyards. But, the 2% don't give a damn, and they buy off the policy makers so I do not see this problem going away. We are doing fine with our GM Equinox as is ds who drives one, but eventually we will probably be driving only Toyota's for the longevity as well as the fuel conservation on hybrid models as well possibly full electric for local running.

My 2012 Highlander is just a baby with 109k. 🙂 I also plan to drive it forever. Those older Toyota V6s are practically bulletproof. What really blows my mind is that it gets almost as good of gas mileage as dh’s late model 4banger Subaru! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

%. When dh worked early in his career at EDS, there was still a pension, and it was a solid thing. Then when EDS got sold to HP, pensions had to be cashed out and put in 401K. Most of the money was lost when that happened since it was so close to the 2008/9 debacle.

Ugh that sucks! All pensions need to be insured and it would be ideal if they were all like some of the unions that have a national pension fund independent of employers where the money is independent of the employer and follows the person.

1 hour ago, SHP said:

Ugh that sucks! All pensions need to be insured and it would be ideal if they were all like some of the unions that have a national pension fund independent of employers where the money is independent of the employer and follows the person.

With you 100% on this!

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2023/10/21/samantha-woll-dead-isaac-agree-downtown-detroit-synagogue-president/71271616007/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

More details on her life here

“In 2017, The Detroit Jewish News selected Woll as one of its "36 under 36," describing her as co-chair of the American Jewish Committee’s ACCESS Detroit Young Leadership Program and founder of the Muslim-Jewish Forum of Detroit, a grassroots organization aimed at building relationships between young adults of those faiths.”

• Sad 9

9 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

Exactly.  It’s hard to cry poor when the CEOs are getting a 30 million dollar bonus.  The workers are trying to recoup wage increases they gave up in 08 to *save* the entire industry.  They sacrificed back then and never recouped it and the CEOs are reaping those benefits now.   

I hate that so many companies pay their executives such outrageous wages. and it's idiotic economically too. The executives aren't the super smart people who star new companies and new technologies. I often complain about their low salaries which means they pass less taxes on their income than many of us. But then the executives don't act right and people unionize or quit.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

According to something that google pulled up for me just a few minutes ago, GM was at 6.4% contribution and is 8% in the Oct 9 offer.  I didn't check the others,

An elderly Jewish couple have had their door set on fire in Paris, France. 

The couple, in their 80’s, had gasoline poured outside their house as a man motivated by antisemitism targeted them for being Jewish. 

The suspect, identified as, Mohammed B., 25, is now in police custody and has been transferred to a psychiatric unit. 

He will be transferred to a prison once his psychiatric evaluation is complete. 

The hate crime occurred around 5AM Friday morning in the Rue du Télégraphe neighborhood of Paris. 

The man specifically targeted the couple after noticing a mézouza Jewish symbol hung outside their door- the only one in the apartment building. 

Source: Le Figaro/ Parisianheir hou

• Sad 8

My DH is inching closer to making a decision about personal safety devices for our household. He's figured out which one(s) he wants.

He is fully trained as well as the older three kids. I have basic training, but have sadly decided it's time to learn how to wield one of the things for real.

He's angry and sad that he feels we have no choice anymore. 

• Sad 32

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

My DH is inching closer to making a decision about personal safety devices for our household. He's figured out which one(s) he wants.

He is fully trained as well as the older three kids. I have basic training, but have sadly decided it's time to learn how to wield one of the things for real.

Are you in the US?  Sadly, protection is probably not a terrible idea.  Have you considered a security system too?  Lights, cameras, some way to call the cops without having to call?  I've accidentally pushed the panic button on my alarm system key fob before and my local PD had a really quick response time to that, though I know that varies.  

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

This sucks but I think it’s probably wise 😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Are you in the US?  Sadly, protection is probably not a terrible idea.  Have you considered a security system too?  Lights, cameras, some way to call the cops without having to call?  I've accidentally pushed the panic button on my alarm system key fob before and my local PD had a really quick response time to that, though I know that varies.  

Not really worried about violence in the house. This is all about walking around and living as a Jew.

• Sad 11

30 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Not really worried about violence in the house. This is all about walking around and living as a Jew.

I always knew there were people who hate Jewish people but never realized what a large proportion of the society it is. And it seems to be part of many societies around the world- based on the photos of mass protests, tearing down posters of kidnapped children, painting stars of David on house and businesses, and excusing the terrorism.

And too many people believe they are immune from what is going on.  They obviously haven't been reading the Hamas, Hezbollah, and Iranian threats.  "Israelis is little Satan and USA is big Satan." " First the Saturday people then the Sunday people."   I read a longer translated statement that talked about their hatred for Buddhists, atheists and Gays too. We know they hate Hindus, Bahai believers, Sikhs, and basically anyone who isn't their type of Muslim.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

CC/religion content: 

ETA a link to a prayer I read not long after I posted this. From @katecbowler “Blessed are we who allow ourselves to feel it—the impossibility of what was possible a second ago…This is the place where nothing makes sense. This is the place where tears show up without permission…God, you are an architect, and everything I have is in ruins. Promise me that someday something will stand after so much fell.”

(Link to full prayer below)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cys7a4CNmCX/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Antisemitism is so incomprehensible to me. As a Christian, I have been grafted in. I just…it’s incomprehensible. I look at the maps. I see the tiny country of Israel, and I marvel…at what God has done and will continue to do through His people. I marvel (awe) at the prophetic scriptures. I lament the brokenness in this world. I grieve—for Israel and for the Palestinian people. But I do NOT feel conflicted about standing with Israel. 

The headlines may have shifted away from Hamas’ atrocities, but we haven’t forgotten. 

Another eta…we who feel helpless can go back to the Psalms. Delve into the Psalms and learn what it means to lament. Essentially a prayer that acknowledges that this isn’t the way it is supposed to be, and we cannot fix it. And “why”…”why” is a lament. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 12

On 10/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, Faith-manor said:

There seems to be a lot of people going the route of buying older cars making them harder to get. I am not a fan of newer cars for the reasons you listed and also buy older. The one thing that is often over looked in the older cars is the need to replace seatbelts that have worn out. 

My washing machine is closer to 40 years old. Only recently has it gotten so slow that it takes most of a day to wash a load. I may cry when I am forced to buy a new one. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SHP said:

There seems to be a lot of people going the route of buying older cars making them harder to get. I am not a fan of newer cars for the reasons you listed and also buy older. The one thing that is often over looked in the older cars is the need to replace seatbelts that have worn out. 

My washing machine is closer to 40 years old. Only recently has it gotten so slow that it takes most of a day to wash a load. I may cry when I am forced to buy a new one. 

We have 2 2005 model cars in our family “fleet”. Eta: that was the year my youngest was born lol. I’d never thought about that. So we have two 17 year old cars. My 17 year old is driving one of them. 🙂 

I have never experienced a seatbelt wearing out. Can you elaborate?

Edited by popmom

1 hour ago, popmom said:

We have 2 2005 model cars in our family “fleet”. Eta: that was the year my youngest was born lol. I’d never thought about that. So we have two 17 year old cars. My 17 year old is driving one of them. 🙂 

I have never experienced a seatbelt wearing out. Can you elaborate?

They wear out but since we don't think about it it isn't something most people notice amd since cars are now in the throw away category even fewer people are going to consider it. I have seen different numbers 5 years, 10 years, and 15 years. I googled Toyota and they only warrenty seatbelts for 5 years. 

My 2011 car has seatbelts that are getting to the point where they don't retract like they used and have been slammed in the door by oblivious drivers. That caused damage and even if I cannot see it with my naked eye doesn't mean it isn't there. That one needs new seatbelts all around. It's on my list to change. I am debating switching to a 4pt harness, I have had them in the past and found them so much more comfortable since I am short and the shoulder belt rubs my neck. When I had them installed in a previous vehicle I had to find a style compatible with my vehicle seatbelt set up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SHP said:

My 2011 car has seatbelts that are getting to the point where they don't retract like they used and have been slammed in the door by oblivious drivers. That caused damage and even if I cannot see it with my naked eye doesn't mean it isn't there. That one needs new seatbelts all around. It's on my list to change. I am debating switching to a 4pt harness, I have had them in the past and found them so much more comfortable since I am short and the shoulder belt rubs my neck. When I had them installed in a previous vehicle I had to find a style compatible with my vehicle seatbelt set u

I had no idea 4 point harnesses were even an option.  

10 hours ago, SHP said:

They wear out but since we don't think about it it isn't something most people notice amd since cars are now in the throw away category even fewer people are going to consider it. I have seen different numbers 5 years, 10 years, and 15 years. I googled Toyota and they only warrenty seatbelts for 5 years. 

My 2011 car has seatbelts that are getting to the point where they don't retract like they used and have been slammed in the door by oblivious drivers. That caused damage and even if I cannot see it with my naked eye doesn't mean it isn't there. That one needs new seatbelts all around. It's on my list to change. I am debating switching to a 4pt harness, I have had them in the past and found them so much more comfortable since I am short and the shoulder belt rubs my neck. When I had them installed in a previous vehicle I had to find a style compatible with my vehicle seatbelt set up.

I am looking at changing to four point harness in my Equinox for the same reason. I am 5'4" and the darn things rub on my neck all the time. Drives me batty.

2 hostages were released back to Israel. They say they were treated well, so at least that’s a tiny bright spot.  I had assumed the worst was happening to them but the ones released say they were fed and well cared for.  Her account is worth a read.  

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/10/24/middleeast/israel-hostages-freed-lifshitz-cooper-intl-hnk/index.html

“They were very generous to us, very kind. They kept us clean,” Lifshitz said. “They took care of every detail. There are a lot of women and they know about feminine hygiene and they took care of everything there.”

• Like 6

In the extended interview, the released woman also describes being beaten, dragged and confined to tunnels. And her husband is still a hostage.

So, small mercies, I guess, that the beatings ceased while in stationary captivity, while being used as a political bargaining chip by terrorists. 

Edited by Melissa Louise
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

I think small mercies are all you can hope for in those situations.  All things equal I’d rather be a hostage with access to a toilet and food than not.  I’d rather endure one day of beatings than 3 weeks worth.  I hope it’s a small measure of comfort to the families that their loved ones aren’t enduring terrible conditions and treatment.  

I do hope we or the Israeli’s find the rest of the hostages and bring them home soon.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I think small mercies are all you can hope for in those situations.  All things equal I’d rather be a hostage with access to a toilet and food than not.  I’d rather endure one day of beatings than 3 weeks worth.  I hope it’s a small measure of comfort to the families that their loved ones aren’t enduring terrible conditions and treatment.  

I do hope we or the Israeli’s find the rest of the hostages and bring them home soon.  

I just hate the way it's being used as propaganda - see how kind Hamas are! 

Not saying you were using it that way, of course. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

It's a HOSTAGE situation. Not an all expenses paid trip to Los Angeles!

They shouldn't be hostages at all!

Do some research on past Israeli hostages.

😭

• Like 8

On 10/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, Faith-manor said:

I am looking at changing to four point harness in my Equinox for the same reason. I am 5'4" and the darn things rub on my neck all the time. Drives me batty.

We need to start a coalition. "Short people for comfortable and safe seatbelts"

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

2 hostages were released back to Israel. They say they were treated well, so at least that’s a tiny bright spot.  I had assumed the worst was happening to them but the ones released say they were fed and well cared for.  Her account is worth a read.  

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/10/24/middleeast/israel-hostages-freed-lifshitz-cooper-intl-hnk/index.html

“They were very generous to us, very kind. They kept us clean,” Lifshitz said. “They took care of every detail. There are a lot of women and they know about feminine hygiene and they took care of everything there.”

It’s worth keeping in mind that her husband is still hostage when considering how much weight to give that statement. It may be true and I hope it is.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It’s worth keeping in mind that her husband is still hostage when considering how much weight to give that statement. It may be true and I hope it is.

That's a good point, but we don't have anything but her account to go on so far. I've seen reports that 50 more are likely to be released soon so hopefully there will be more accounts soon.  (by which I mean I hope they do release those 50, whether they choose to come forward with accounts or not)   I've also seen that a military rescue is not likely, which is heartbreaking. I've been hoping for a press conference announcing that a rescue had been completed, either by us or by Israeli forces.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, Faith-manor said:

37 minutes ago, SHP said:

We need to start a coalition. "Short people for comfortable and safe seatbelts"

We do, except 5'4" is the average height of US females. It's not short. If someone of that height thinks it's a problem, you can guess how much of an issue it is for those of us who are truly short.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

That's a good point, but we don't have anything but her account to go on so far. I've seen reports that 50 more are likely to be released soon so hopefully there will be more accounts soon.  (by which I mean I hope they do release those 50, whether they choose to come forward with accounts or not)   I've also seen that a military rescue is not likely, which is heartbreaking. I've been hoping for a press conference announcing that a rescue had been completed, either by us or by Israeli forces.  

Without a ground invasion that seems unlikely. I’m not sure why Israel has held back so long but I believe it is because US has asked them to wait till they are better prepared. 

It is in the terrorists best interest to keep the hostages alive and well if they hope to use them as bargaining tools, so that’s one thing. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Without a ground invasion that seems unlikely. I’m not sure why Israel has held back so long but I believe it is because US has asked them to wait till they are better prepared. 

It is in the terrorists best interest to keep the hostages alive and well if they hope to use them as bargaining tools, so that’s one thing. 

That might be why, I think I’ve read we’ll be providing air support, not sure how accurate that is.  I guess we’ll find out once it all starts.  

• Like 1

Just now, Heartstrings said:

That might be why, I think I’ve read we’ll be providing air support, not sure how accurate that is.  I guess we’ll find out once it all starts.  

US has already intercepted missiles from Houthi I believe. I think as long as it stays Gaza/Israel or perhaps even Lebanon US will sit back. We are also seeing attacks on US bases in Iraq. WSJ stated that plans are being set in place on case of the need to evacuate all US citizens from Lebanon. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Honestly how far are we from a wider regional war? Or wwIII 

There is now warnings out to shipping going through the Red Sea to be aware of potential drone strikes. 

Oh I think we are thisclose.   Our military installations in Syria are being attacked, Lebanon is firing at Israel and Israel is returning it.  There are no cooler heads around to prevail.   We may very well have witnessed the beginning and don’t know it yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

US forces/government place  in tbe Middle East attacked 13 times since last week.  Fox News

Argentinian Election Sunday results: Javier Milei , a libertarian economist  (who actually knows  economics. s As a graduate of University of Chicago with a BA in economics I was impressed w his knowledge when Isa2 an interview w him and then I looked him up and found put he is a PhD graduate in economics). He got 30%.  The left-wing Peronist Sergio Massa who is the current minister of the economy got 36%. These two will be in a run-off on November 19th.  The conservative Patricia Bullrich won 23%, and announced that "I will not congratulate someone who has been a part of the worse government in Argentina's history." Argentina has nearly 140% inflati9n.  This info is from very biased BBC- they call Milei a far-right libertarian where, at least in the US, the phrase "far-right " is meaning ideas like white supremacy and antisemitism- basically neo-Nazis like those who marched in Charlottesville.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

We do, except 5'4" is the average height of US females. It's not short. If someone of that height thinks it's a problem, you can guess how much of an issue it is for those of us who are truly short.

I can't tell from down here

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

US forces/government place  in tbe Middle East attacked 13 times since last week.  Fox News

Argentinian Election Sunday results: Javier Milei , a libertarian economist  (who actually knows  economics. s As a graduate of University of Chicago with a BA in economics I was impressed w his knowledge when Isa2 an interview w him and then I looked him up and found put he is a PhD graduate in economics). He got 30%.  The left-wing Peronist Sergio Massa who is the current minister of the economy got 36%. These two will be in a run-off on November 19th.  The conservative Patricia Bullrich won 23%, and announced that "I will not congratulate someone who has been a part of the worse government in Argentina's history." Argentina has nearly 140% inflati9n.  This info is from very biased BBC- they call Milei a far-right libertarian where, at least in the US, the phrase "far-right " is meaning ideas like white supremacy and antisemitism- basically neo-Nazis like those who marched in Charlottesville.

The If You’re listening podcast did a segment on Argentina and inflation a while ago that was interesting 

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/if-youre-listening/argentina-s-inflation-nightmare/102706416

I’ll admit my knowledge of this stuff is not enough to assess whether it’s unbiased etc but it was an interesting bit of history I didn’t know 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

Oh I think we are thisclose.   Our military installations in Syria are being attacked, Lebanon is firing at Israel and Israel is returning it.  There are no cooler heads around to prevail.   We may very well have witnessed the beginning and don’t know it yet. 

Indeed. We’re already intercepting missiles. Tensions are very high.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 1