Menu

Sledding behind 4-wheelers/cars/trucks--dangerous or not?

We live in a very flat neighborhood, and I've seen a lot of this since we moved here (this is our third winter). People in vehicles pull other people or children behind them in sleds.

Do you think this is dangerous? Or do you think it is acceptable? I'll give my opinion after a while ; ).

If you choose "other," please explain.

Edited by WTMCassandra

Dangerous and unacceptable, but thats just me.

I feel like an alien in my own family who choose to buy their six yo bb guns. Makes no sense to me, she lives in the city.:glare:Plus to me six yo and guns of any kind do not mix.

Please dont throw tomatoes, its Christmas.

Yes, it's dangerous. So is skiing and snowboarding. I know several people who have been seriously injured doing both. We don't ski or snowboard, but I would let my kids do either if they wanted to. So far, no one has wanted to (even though we live only 6 miles from a ski resort).

Yes, I let my brother and SIL pull my children around their large, circular, dirt driveway in inner tubes. So far, no one has been even slightly injured. There are no trees to slam into, they're careful, and they have a ton of fun.

Okay, one of my earliest memories of sledding is of my sister and I sledding behind the pick-up while my Mom(who happened to be way overdue!) sat on the tail-gate and shoved us back with her feet if we got too close. Dangerous--Maybe, but she went into labor and delivered my baby sister later that evening! LOL!!! Sure beats castor oil in my opinion!:D

OK, I think I'll weigh in now. I was frankly horrified to see it and have told my husband and children that they would do that over my dead body! The children don't get it, of course, and I think my husband is humoring me so far but I don't know if he really understands either. I guess I was just wondering if I was the only one who felt that it was too dangerous.

My dad did this when we were children and we loved it! My dad is/was a nationally recognized safety expert in his field.:lol:

Would I let my dh and dc do this...absolutely not!

Ann

P.S. When my dh was at Test Pilot School they pulled each other on skis behind trucks on the runways when it snowed.

I picked "other" because if it were my DH pulling my kids...I would totally trust him. He is *very cautious. He would go very slow and take no risks...in fact, it may not be all that fun for the kids :) I would not trust any other person on this earth, to do it though...even me!

Did you see the case (I believe it was around or in Oregon) where the dad was charged with a crime? He had at least had one beer and pulled his child around behind him (with his Truck?) and she went flying off into a brick wall and died. No harm was meant....but....

I tend to be horribly paranoid...I still have my 5 year old in a car seat....and don't like my children being driven by anyone but my husband and me....

Oh well...everything's dangerous...if someone gets hurt...

Carrie:-)

. . . my dad (the police officer) and my mom (the pediatric nurse) forbade me ever to participate in, on pain of permanent grounding to my room, for the rest of my miserable yadda yadda yadda.

Also on that list were, if I remember correctly, underage drinking, recreational drugs, hitchhiking (especially after he worked that serial killer case), playing the lottery, and dating older boys, "experienced" boys, or . . . well, pretty much any boy, actually.

My dh won them over pretty quickly, fortunately. ;)

Yes it's dangerous but we do it anyway <ducking>

We actually pull the kids behind a quad not a car. I would not let them be pulled behind a car.

Same here, we use a quad or a snowmobile. But, my kids all ride dirt bikes and my ds has since he was a kid. They wear helmets, and chest guards, and he is VERY careful:)