Menu

USPS is hiking the price of a stamp to 66 cents on July 9

Arcadia

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/usps-stamp-increase-2023-66-cents-july/
“The U.S. Postal Service will soon be raising the price of its first-class stamps to 66 cents, an increase of 4.8% from its current 63 cents. The move, announced by the USPS in April, is the latest in a flurry of rate boosts that will result in the cost of a first-class stamp rising nearly one-third since 2019.

The latest hike will go into effect July 9. Under Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, the money-losing agency has embarked on a 10-year plan to get on a path to profitability — with higher postage rates as part of the blueprint.

The July 2023 price hike will represent the fifth increase since early 2019, when a Forever stamp cost 50 cents. The higher postage prices haven't come without criticism, however, with some postal experts pointing out that customers are paying more while getting less for their money. 

That's because the 10-year plan has slowed the post office's delivery standard for mail to six days, down from its prior goal of three-day delivery to any destination within the U.S. And the series of price hikes means that the cost of a postage stamp has soared much higher than inflation, which has jumped 20% in the same period, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.”

Our postal delivery is so awful, literally the most incompetency you can imagine, that we cannot have a single important thing sent to our address. We moved every bill to paperless, and told health care providers that if they send bills to our legal address, they will never collect. We have cut it down to only a few things needing to be sent by mail, and those are delivered to our mother in law's address out of a different office. I send my packages through UPS. The only time I mail anything is state income tax and a handful of Christmas cards. I have forever stamps from 2019 still on my refrigerator waiting to be used.

Rates go up, customer service just gets worse. It is frustrating for sure. Thankfully, we have pretty much declared our independence from the postal service. Mark goes out to the box once every other week to collect junk mail that made it through, and toss it in the fire ring or wood boiler to be used as fire starter.

I am not sure if USPS can be profitable. I know a lot of people doing everything they can to NOT use them. The other issue is that I think having national mail delivery is n important part of  democracy, and the goal should not be exclusively profitability.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I am not sure if USPS can be profitable. I know a lot of people doing everything they can to NOT use them. The other issue is that I think having national mail delivery is n important part of  democracy, and the goal should not be exclusively profitability.

Yes, it's so odd. No one talks about how the interstate system isn't profitable (I remember doing a tour of our local recycling center with a homeschool group and the guy running the tour making the same point about recycling. No, they don't make money; they're providing a service to the community). 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

I remember when a stamp went from 7 cents to 10 cents. Also when a pay phone was a dime.

I’m reading the Beverly Clearly Henry Huggins series as a family read aloud right now and in the first book when he calls his mom to ask if he can keep the dog he found it cost 10 cents to call. The book was written in 1949. 

My dad had every intention of sending out a final prayer letter (they were missionaries) and so I bought him $350 in stamps to send to about 500 people. 

He was never able to finish his letter and so I have all of those stamps and they are forever stamps.   They will last me the rest of my life I am quite sure!

I really should donate them to another missionary friend now that I think of it, I will never use that many stamps.

• Like 3

The $.66 stamp doesn't bother me.  The priority mail boxes and envelopes have gotten pretty crazy, though!  Most of what I send it sent through Media Mail, but still. Sigh.  Everything feels like a huge luxury purchase anymore, from a package of Oreos to mail delivery.  So I skip the cookies, at least!