Menu

July gardens, tell me what is up with yours.

Faith-manor

I just harvested 7 more snow peas. We will eat them today with some roasted veggies.

The stupid Amish Paste. I don't know what to think anymore. We got rain last week which made them act like the apocalypse was near. Now they are loaded with green tomatoes. I done get it. They are Eeyores of the botanical world! I would try to make them happy, but since live in a state of confusion and vegetable depression, I don't even know what to do. They will get a little tomato fertilizer this coming week since it had been two or three weeks since the last time they got plant food. But otherwise, I am just going to have to choose to ignore their drama.

The cherry tomatoes have gone full on, Spring Break wild! 😂😂😂  I have so many babies. Record babies. That is fine with me. My daughter and the bachelor sons are begging for dehydrated cherries. They love to snack on them or sprinkle them on salads and tacos in the off season when good, fully ripe tomatoes are not a thing in Michigan.

We have baby eggplants, eight baby jalapeno, and ten baby chili peppers. I hope the peppers ripen fairly close to each other along with some Amish paste so I can make salsa/taco sauce.

Henrietta and her fellas, the family of cukes, are going bananas. I have lots of baby cukes. I think I have more than I can handle actually. I don't like cucumber. It is something that Mark and R eat, and she has her own cucumber plants in Bama, so I have earmarked this as a crop I can share with the mothers and the neighbors. There are a couple of elderly neighbors who do not get out much due to severe health and mobility issues. I would like enough garden produce to ripen together a couple of times that I can drop a basket of produce off to them. 

Carrots are growing nicely. Still small, maybe only an inch long. But, my assumptions is that in about 3-4 weeks, they will be a good harvesting size. The new rows of carrots are already 2" high, and I am seeding another row plus a third row of radishes.

Scallions seem so spindly, about 2" tall. I have never grown them before so maybe the babies are supposed to look like this? They can barely hold themselves up right now.

The celery looks great. I need to make some vegetable broth, and I am tempted to harvest some of their leaves. They are so fragrant. But I am afraid to damage the plant and then not have a good harvest. Does anyone know if it is okay to harvest four leaves from each plant without hurting it?

The basil is insane. One would think they are weeds for how prolific they are. I keep pinching off flower babies so they keep growing. But I wonder how big I should allow them to get. I have two large basil houseplants as it is. My plan is to harvest all the leaves on the outdoor plants at some point, rinse, dry, and freeze in sandwich size baggies. R can't seem to grow basil well - I wonder if it is too hot in Alabama - which saddens her because she loves to cook with fresh basil. Our youngest also wants my basil. That boy is a serious foodie! 😂

So if you know anything about basil, scallions, or both, I need your advice.

• Like 6

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woot! The heat has arrived at last! Hooray! My cherry tomatoes look more like small Meyer lemons but they’re finally ripening. We’re expecting another monsoon today and tomorrow so, presumably, they will only get bigger from here. I should probably put down some more epson salt before it rains. Today’s haul coupled with last week’s green beans means caponata is on the menu. Also seared tuna steaks with roasted garlic miso butter. Looking forward to that!!

My arugula is going strong. I will never plant a different varietal. It’s fab. We’re still throwing that into our salads. My lettuce has bolted and I feel like it’s too hot to replant but might change my mind.

It’ll be time to plant cool season crops soon and I’m making space for those. Most of my pea plants are still producing but some are in decline. I will try, AGAIN, to plant some brassicas there.

ETA: any ideas for a water-loving, gnat/pest-repellent, perennial that won’t take over like my kitchen sage plants? They have GOT to go.

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 11

Here in NE Georgia it’s rough. We’ve had SO much rain.  My green beans are not doing well. Plenty of flowers but no beans. The extension office says it’s due to the rain we’ve had. 
However, the cherry tomatoes were doing fabulous…until Friday, when I discovered hornworms had eaten the top two feet of every one. I don’t know if they’ll recover and produce any more fruit. I was pretty mad, and picked the worms off and put them in an open feeder for the birds. The cardinals were wary at first but within and hour they had taken all of them. 

Our local farm stands have no peaches, and no zipper peas. I am sad about both.

• Sad 5

4 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Here in NE Georgia it’s rough. We’ve had SO much rain.  My green beans are not doing well. Plenty of flowers but no beans. The extension office says it’s due to the rain we’ve had. 
However, the cherry tomatoes were doing fabulous…until Friday, when I discovered hornworms had eaten the top two feet of every one. I don’t know if they’ll recover and produce any more fruit. I was pretty mad, and picked the worms off and put them in an open feeder for the birds. The cardinals were wary at first but within and hour they had taken all of them. 

Our local farm stands have no peaches, and no zipper peas. I am sad about both.

I have been spraying my tomatoes every 24-48 hrs to prevent hornworms this year and after every rain. It truly is a race against time because my plants are so heavy with fruit. I haven’t noticed any scat yet. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

I have been spraying my tomatoes every 24-48 hrs to prevent hornworms this year and after every rain. It truly is a race against time because my plants are so heavy with fruit. I haven’t noticed any scat yet. Fingers crossed. 

I’ve never had any hornworms, and never knew to treat the plants. It was shocking to see the infestation. Guess I’ve been lucky!

• Like 1

Just now, Annie G said:

I’ve never had any hornworms, and never knew to treat the plants. It was shocking to see the infestation. Guess I’ve been lucky!

You must have missed last year’s threads, lol. The carnage they inflicted on my tomatoes and eggplants last year is the stuff of legend. Fortunately, the wasps eventually started colonizing them and that helped control the damage.

• Like 2

My new, large garden is so sad. No corn will be knee high by 4th of July! A few tomatoes are coming in on small, wimpy plants. Three siracha s are growing on two tiny plants. Some squash varieties are starting to thrive… with all male flowers so far. Peas will be healthy, but they’re my least favorite!

The combination of rotten weather and my bad timing is showing. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

I have a blacklight flashlight that I use to find hornworms at night. I can even find tiny ones. I've been pretty lazy about it this year, so I need to start looking. No problems with them so far.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Woot! The heat has arrived at last! Hooray! My cherry tomatoes look more like small Meyer lemons but they’re finally ripening. We’re expecting another monsoon today and tomorrow so, presumably, they will only get bigger from here. I should probably put down some more epson salt before it rains. Today’s haul coupled with last week’s green beans means caponata is on the menu. Also seared tuna steaks with roasted garlic miso butter. Looking forward to that!!

My arugula is going strong. I will never plant a different varietal. It’s fab. We’re still throwing that into our salads. My lettuce has bolted and I feel like it’s too hot to replant but might change my mind.

It’ll be time to plant cool season crops soon and I’m making space for those. Most of my pea plants are still producing but some are in decline. I will try, AGAIN, to plant some brassicas there.

ETA: any ideas for a water-loving, gnat/pest-repellent, perennial that won’t take over like my kitchen sage plants? They have GOT to go.

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

Wow! Awesome sauce!

• Thanks 1

My garden looks like a jungle. I have  so many tomatoes. This is the first time ever that I will have more than I can eat. I am making plans as to what to do with them all. I don't do much pruning which is why those beds are a jungle. I have let some spill over the sides of the beds and they have rooted into the ground. Then I'm staking as they grow with bamboo stakes. This means I have some tomatoes on the ground. I have been propping them up with a piece of firewood or bricks or whatever I can find. It's not pretty, but I'm eating tomato sandwiches everyday. 🙂

The first to ripen were Better Boys. As usual the first few I got tasted terrible--mealy and bland. The last few I have eaten have been decent. 

I am super excited about the huge heirlooms I just picked. I have 3 ripening on the window sill. Two Amana Orange and one "Curtis Cheek". I get a sort of tomato anxiety paralysis about what to do with the beauties. lol Do I just slice and eat? Make sandwiches with them? Pasta sauce? Tomato Pie? AAAHHHH. This happens to me every year. It's like having a cake that is too pretty to eat! 

My two eggplants have been dropping all their blooms, but I think I have 2 babies developing finally. I attempted to hand pollinate a large bloom today. 

Okra is about 2 feet tall, so no blooms yet. 

I've picked about 2 lbs of pole beans total. just enough to feed our family. I'll be pulling these plants soon because I got Rattlesnake seeds in my Azure Standard order. I also have some bush beans planted, but they are small still. 

The peppers are just starting to produce, but the plants are SMALL. I'm going to have to fertilize.

• Like 3

@Faith-manor what variety of basil are you growing?

I am having better luck than I have in the past, but it's not fabulous or anything. I have been pruning mercilessly which has helped. And I figured out that they will root in a glass of water really easily. So I've made several new plants that way.

1 minute ago, popmom said:

@Faith-manor what variety of basil are you growing?

I am having better luck than I have in the past, but it's not fabulous or anything. I have been pruning mercilessly which has helped. And I figured out that they will root in a glass of water really easily. So I've made several new plants that way.

I have some sort of sweet basil. They were seedlings from the nursery. I didn't start them from seed so I am not sure what exact variety. I will say that I read online that basil and tomatoes are companion plants and that basil helps ward off pests because apparently a lot of insects do not like the smell. They struggled at first, but once the tomato plants gained some height, it was like a lightbulb. I think that they love the canopy of green. Those Amish paste have become gigantic in spite of their constant acting like I am attempting to grow tomatoes on Mars 🙄🙄🙄. The basil underneath is lush. I have to fight my way through the rainforest of Amish Paste in order to find them! 😂😂😂 

But I love it. Basil is my very favorite herb next to garlic. The more the merrier! I will happily share basil with anyone who wants some.

Would it help if I took a picture and posted it? Do you think you could identify the variety from that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanin said:

Nothing happening here. Tomatoes still 6 inches tall. It's been raining for one million days at last count.

Yup, I came here to say the same. I am "growing" lots of mushrooms and moss in my lawn, though! 

I'm glad I didn't get around to planting much this year. Everything is pretty much drowning.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I have some sort of sweet basil. They were seedlings from the nursery. I didn't start them from seed so I am not sure what exact variety. I will say that I read online that basil and tomatoes are companion plants and that basil helps ward off pests because apparently a lot of insects do not like the smell. They struggled at first, but once the tomato plants gained some height, it was like a lightbulb. I think that they love the canopy of green. Those Amish paste have become gigantic in spite of their constant acting like I am attempting to grow tomatoes on Mars 🙄🙄🙄. The basil underneath is lush. I have to fight my way through the rainforest of Amish Paste in order to find them! 😂😂😂 

But I love it. Basil is my very favorite herb next to garlic. The more the merrier! I will happily share basil with anyone who wants some.

Would it help if I took a picture and posted it? Do you think you could identify the variety from that?

Yes! I would love to see it! Mine is mostly Genovese, but I also have a few Thai sweet plants. 🙂

13 minutes ago, popmom said:

My garden looks like a jungle. I have  so many tomatoes. This is the first time ever that I will have more than I can eat. I am making plans as to what to do with them all. I don't do much pruning which is why those beds are a jungle. I have let some spill over the sides of the beds and they have rooted into the ground. Then I'm staking as they grow with bamboo stakes. This means I have some tomatoes on the ground. I have been propping them up with a piece of firewood or bricks or whatever I can find. It's not pretty, but I'm eating tomato sandwiches everyday. 🙂

The first to ripen were Better Boys. As usual the first few I got tasted terrible--mealy and bland. The last few I have eaten have been decent. 

I am super excited about the huge heirlooms I just picked. I have 3 ripening on the window sill. Two Amana Orange and one "Curtis Cheek". I get a sort of tomato anxiety paralysis about what to do with the beauties. lol Do I just slice and eat? Make sandwiches with them? Pasta sauce? Tomato Pie? AAAHHHH. This happens to me every year. It's like having a cake that is too pretty to eat! 

My two eggplants have been dropping all their blooms, but I think I have 2 babies developing finally. I attempted to hand pollinate a large bloom today. 

Okra is about 2 feet tall, so no blooms yet. 

I've picked about 2 lbs of pole beans total. just enough to feed our family. I'll be pulling these plants soon because I got Rattlesnake seeds in my Azure Standard order. I also have some bush beans planted, but they are small still. 

The peppers are just starting to produce, but the plants are SMALL. I'm going to have to fertilize.

Do you like fried green tomatoes? We fried two of the green, beef steak tomatoes today. Sliced thin, dipped in gf flour, and fried. So yummy!

I am a big fan of making sauce and salsa. It is just so much better than store bought. It's an convinced from the difference in taste that store bought has no fresh herbs used, and the tomatoes are not fully ripe, or varieties that are prolific producers but not particularly sweet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

Do you like fried green tomatoes? We fried two of the green, beef steak tomatoes today. Sliced thin, dipped in gf flour, and fried. So yummy!

I am a big fan of making sauce and salsa. It is just so much better than store bought. It's an convinced from the difference in taste that store bought has no fresh herbs used, and the tomatoes are not fully ripe, or varieties that are prolific producers but not particularly sweet.

love fried green tomatoes. And I have enough this year to not feel guilty picking them green, so I'll definitely do that. 

I need to look up salsa recipes.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Just now, popmom said:

love fried green tomatoes. And I have enough this year to not feel guilty picking them green, so I'll definitely do that.

I am not a person who likes the texture of eating raw tomatoes. So all of middle be are cooked in some way. But fresh made salsa is good if the slimy part of the innards are removed. I also make fajita vegetables with fresh tomatoes, but again, remove that part. I slice it thin along with bell pepper, jalapeno (after removing the seeds which is ya, know, yikes...yes, the very first time I cooked with a jalapeno I did not do that because I was not a well informed cook at that time, and we paid the price for that folly), drizzle taco/enchilada sauce on them, and then toss under the broiler or on the grill in our stainless steel grill basket. If you don't have a grill basket, aluminum foil with some hole poked in it to let the smoke through works just fine.)

• Thanks 1

I love fried green tomatoes! I fix them in the fall when it's too late for the remainder on the vine to ripen. I also pickle green tomatoes--yum! Quick pickling is my favorite, but jarred are okay though they get a bit mushy during the heating process.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I love fried green tomatoes! I fix them in the fall when it's too late for the remainder on the vine to ripen. I also pickle green tomatoes--yum! Quick pickling is my favorite, but jarred are okay though they get a bit mushy during the heating process.

I have never tried pickling. I have a feeling that if I did, Mark would be in 7th heaven.

• Like 1

Apricots are ripe. Although they were pretty good last week too although they were not quite ready yet.

There's a few tiny yellow squashes. Everyone is loving the sugar snaps. They don't get harvested just eaten straight off the plant, even the leaves. Mysterious squash family seeds my kids planted are growing lots of leaves. There are a few tiny tomatoes on my tomato plant. The Thai basil is still alive but it's not thriving. I'm not sure about the peppers. They've grown but I wouldn't say they've taken off like the sugar snaps and tomatoes. 

Next year I'm definitely growing more sugar snaps, so the adults can have some. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MEmama said:

This is the recipe I use, the first on the list. I prefer them quick pickled and stored in the fridge vs actually canned.

https://www.gardenbetty.com/four-ways-to-pickled-green-tomatoes/

Thanks! I am going to do that this fall. After the 2nd weekend of September, we get so much cloud cover and rain that it is very hard to keep tomatoes ripening. Then we get frost by the end of the month. So there is always a large number of green tomatoes that have to be brought inside, put in a window sill, and hope they ripen, or a million fried green tomatoes to make. I need other things to do with them!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, popmom said:

You can pickle pretty much anything...okra, onions, pig's feet... 

seemed to me like it’d be kinda like chow chow (pickled carrot, cauliflower, peppers and sometimes onion), just sweet.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, popmom said:

I have a blacklight flashlight that I use to find hornworms at night. I can even find tiny ones. I've been pretty lazy about it this year, so I need to start looking. No problems with them so far.

Thanks for that tip! The plants are almost two feet taller than I am and it was hard to see them…that will help!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, popmom said:

I can’t bring myself to touch them. They’re terrifying. I don’t know what I’d do without neem.

21 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

Your tomato plants look amazing!  What kind of arugula do you grow?

20 hours ago, Annie G said:

Don't give up on the tomatoes.  They will probably produce again in Georgia. Through the years, my plants have survived many a deer and hornworm mauling, and come back to produce again.  And HAHAHA, I love your hornworm solution.

• Like 3

The garden has been growing well since we finally got some rain about 10 days ago, and we've had more since.  Now I hope the rain slows down a bit. I have harvested 38 tomatoes from a single Early Girl we planted in April.  I live in central NC, so that was a bit of a risk, but we took a chance and planted a large plant started at a garden center. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 100 tomatoes from that single plant.  I highly recommend Early Girls.  They are always one of my strongest producers.   Most of the tomatoes I started from seed are starting to set fruit, so that is exciting, too.  

Other things we've been harvesting are carrots, lots and lots of greens, dragon tongue beans, peppers, and the last of the spring turnips and some lettuce, too. I will probably harvest the first yellow squash tomorrow, and I think a zucchini is coming along, as well. 

I thought I'd share a little bit about my flowers, too.  About three weeks ago, the deer mauled my zinnias, cosmos and marigolds, which are flowers they usually leave alone.  It was very hot and dry then, so I guess they were desperate.  Well, the flowers have recovered nicely in that three weeks and many are blooming again or getting ready to bloom.  My husband put up an ultrasonic repeller, and so far it's been working.  My older DS said that when he came home from work a couple of nights ago (at 2 AM!!) the herd was bedded down in our front yard, but they were well away from where the repeller was.  I've heard that after a while they will probably get used to it, and then it might not be effective, but I'm enjoying my garden in the meantime.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Serenade said:

The garden has been growing well since we finally got some rain about 10 days ago, and we've had more since.  Now I hope the rain slows down a bit. I have harvested 38 tomatoes from a single Early Girl we planted in April.  I live in central NC, so that was a bit of a risk, but we took a chance and planted a large plant started at a garden center. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 100 tomatoes from that single plant.  I highly recommend Early Girls.  They are always one of my strongest producers.   Most of the tomatoes I started from seed are starting to set fruit, so that is exciting, too.  

Other things we've been harvesting are carrots, lots and lots of greens, dragon tongue beans, peppers, and the last of the spring turnips and some lettuce, too. I will probably harvest the first yellow squash tomorrow, and I think a zucchini is coming along, as well. 

I thought I'd share a little bit about my flowers, too.  About three weeks ago, the deer mauled my zinnias, cosmos and marigolds, which are flowers they usually leave alone.  It was very hot and dry then, so I guess they were desperate.  Well, the flowers have recovered nicely in that three weeks and many are blooming again or getting ready to bloom.  My husband put up an ultrasonic repeller, and so far it's been working.  My older DS said that when he came home from work a couple of nights ago (at 2 AM!!) the herd was bedded down in our front yard, but they were well away from where the repeller was.  I've heard that after a while they will probably get used to it, and then it might not be effective, but I'm enjoying my garden in the meantime.

I planted Dragon’s Tongue late, but they are getting there! Very tasty beans! 

This is my first year growing zinnias. They are kinda puny looking. Should I cut them?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Serenade said:

Your tomato plants look amazing!  What kind of arugula do you grow?

Thanks! It's the wild rocket kind, spicier than most but holds up so well to the heat! I planted regular rocket too and it wilted easily and bolted quickly.

• Like 1

I’m sitting in my July garden, admiring some prolific blooms, swatting flying pests, cursing the raccoons that disassembled every one of my hummingbird feeders, jealous of all your gorgeous veggie pictures and proud of you all!

My only garden chores this time of year are to keep things watered in the heat and keep cutting back the herb garden plants that want to bolt. And yeah, scouting the back yard for all the missing feeder parts. 

• Like 2

Earlier in the year I planted some purple coneflower seeds. I watered. I waited patiently. The other day one finally bloomed! 
IMG_9522.thumb.jpeg.e9090da54bd21343bb27240605b126ea.jpeg
Not a purple coneflower. Humph. But it is still a pretty flower so into my garden it went anyway.

• Like 6

We just had a storm rip through and my carefully crafted tomato stake trees became leaning towers. I had an hour in between squalls to reinforce them. My rigging looks pathetic but hopefully they'll survive through the night. Ugh. Everything, especially my first year fennel, anise hyssop and lovage, dill...is on its side. Sigh. I just keep chanting...they're plants. They'll grow back. They're plants. They'll grow back. I added so much reinforcement this year but clearly I need to redouble my efforts for next year.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 4

We are tackling the bindweed this month and planning out the next section for hardscaping. My husband sprayed the evil plant for the 3rd time tonight.

Mostly, I am enjoying all the flowers that are blooming now 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

We just had a storm rip through and my carefully crafted tomato stake trees became leaning towers. I had an hour in between squalls to reinforce them. My rigging looks pathetic but hopefully they'll survive through the night. Ugh. Everything, especially my first year fennel, anise hyssop and lovage, dill...is on its side. Sigh. I just keep chanting...they're plants. They'll grow back. They're plants. They'll grow back. I added so much reinforcement this year but clearly I need to redouble my efforts for next year.

That stinks!!

• Like 1