Menu

Office chair alternative

fraidycat

Does anyone here use a ball chair or kneeling chair or any other alternative type of seat for desk/computer work?

If you use or have tried alternative seats, hit me with your reviews - pros and cons. Thanks!

Edited to remove information that is getting thread off track. Just looking for reviews on alternative seating types.

Edited by fraidycat

I got a standing desk for teaching this year--I write with a stylus on my computer screen which gets projected so students can see it, all while I'm facing the class. I have found that even on my prep periods I prefer to use my computer standing now. Much better ergonomics for my arms while typing. I know you said not an option, but other staff have things they put on their regular desk to use it standing (Varidesk brand--there was lots of money for these when we went to Zoom school).

• Like 1

I also got a computer stand that sits on my table and raises and lowers the laptop so I can stand in front of it, and one of those mats with various textures and heights on it so I can vary my stance and the elevation of my feet when standing.  I don’t use these all the time, but for variety they are helpful.  The stand came from Costco, cost about $100, and works great.

We have a kneeling chair.

There’s a learning curve to getting in and out of it gracefully, so bear that in mind if you need to sometimes stand up quickly. Or maybe that’s just me!

19 yr old can use it for computer work for a short time before finding it uncomfortable — maybe an hour. DH was using it for 3 - 4 hours at a stretch before switching to a regular office chair during his work day.

We finally moved it to the music studio, and it gets used there more comfortably and often.

Overall, none of us loved it for long stretches of computer work, but we all found that it was fine in rotation with a regular chair, and the change in seating position was somewhat helpful. None of us would use it for a full work day without another option, though.

Do you have space for an extra chair, if you go the kneeling chair route?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spryte said:

We have a kneeling chair.

There’s a learning curve to getting in and out of it gracefully, so bear that in mind if you need to sometimes stand up quickly. Or maybe that’s just me!

19 yr old can use it for computer work for a short time before finding it uncomfortable — maybe an hour. DH was using it for 3 - 4 hours at a stretch before switching to a regular office chair during his work day.

We finally moved it to the music studio, and it gets used there more comfortably and often.

Overall, none of us loved it for long stretches of computer work, but we all found that it was fine in rotation with a regular chair, and the change in seating position was somewhat helpful. None of us would use it for a full work day without another option, though.

Do you have space for an extra chair, if you go the kneeling chair route?

Yes, I would still have the regular chair to use, too.

• Like 1

I find that getting up and moving/stretching frequently is my best bet on not getting too tight. During this time you can add in little hand and finger stretches to avoid carpel tunnel pain. You can add in other stretches, too, if you have some flexibility to do it at your desk, or you can leave the room for brief periods of time.

I used this gel seat for several years when I was experiencing hip and back pain in certain areas. My problem is/was trigger points in these areas. After many years of working knots out of these certain areas, in combination with yoga and stretching, I can now sit without it for fairly long amounts of time. But it did prevent the pain because of the ergonomic design and support. 

You may have an entirely different reason for your pain….BUT could it be possible you have some trigger points in there you don’t know about? 

I need to add….in those days, I did not have the massage gun that I now have. That would have been greatly helpful in getting the pain areas out. Now I use it every day on other areas. 

One interesting note: The hip pain felt like, well, “regular” pain. Like bursitis type pain. But it wasn’t. The back pain presented as tightness. A drawing up or contracting along with pain, stinging, burning. Very intense. Different from the hip pain. But both areas were caused by muscle knots. 

Anyway, whatever yours may be, maybe a gel seat and a massage gun will help? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XB0ZP9C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I find that getting up and moving/stretching frequently is my best bet on not getting too tight. During this time you can add in little hand and finger stretches to avoid carpel tunnel pain. You can add in other stretches, too, if you have some flexibility to do it at your desk, or you can leave the room for brief periods of time.

This is ideal. And some days it is possible. Other days, not as much. It just really depends on how busy the day is. I do move around and stretch when I can, but some says the phone does not stop ringing, and I'm stuck.

• Like 1

Dh has a leaning stool and a wobble board and a standing desk. Recently, he bought a traditional office chair (Branch Ergonomic). He finds the chair is relieving back pain and ankle swelling compared to alternating between standing and leaning.

Ball chairs were great when we were young by the knee positioning is not great for me now. Same with a kneeling chair. 

• Like 1

I tried the kneeling chair. It does not work with my arthritic knees. 
I've tried the kids big balls (?yoga?), and those are sorta comfortable, but I can't be still enough to write or type reliably. Reading, yes, writing no. 

I've tried the gel seat/ergonomic extra seat cushions and although very comfy, they put me up too high for my chair/desk combo. 

• Like 1

https://www.upliftdesk.com/motion-stool-by-uplift-desk/  FWIW, this is the leaning stool dh has.  The seat is very cushiony, and you can change postures a lot with it....but it does require a very strong core to use all day long.  Dh lives an active life, but this wasn't a great choice for 10 hour days. As I've thought about it, if you only need an occasional seat, it's a good device to have in rotation. 

I just use a straight yoga ball, no stand.  I recommend sizing up for height.  It's easier to deflate something that is sitting too high than to try and slightly over inflate something that is JUST tall enough.  

I LOVE it.  I also use it for stretching and rolling, etc.  There certainly are days I use it all day.  I find that I'm much less likely to have a sore back or hips in general.  

If you have a hard, slick floor, having an area rug to put under it isn't a bad idea.