Menu

Ugh...should we bring home Neo's younger sibling?

Dmmetler

We got Neo when she was hanging around a neighbor's garage, likely a kitten to one of his regular visiting semi-feral cats. We offered to take the mom and get her fixed, but the neighbor never followed up.

Well, the cat that is probably Neo's mom is back, with a single orange kitten. Probably a little young now, but that won't be the case for long....

We don't need a 5th cat....but would Neo enjoy having a 6 month..ish...younger kitten to play with? Is it reasonable to fill an empty nest with cats? 

We haven't been able to get close enough to the orange puffball to take pictures...

• Like 3

The answer is always yes. 😉 

Seriously, orange cats are the BEST. So friendly. It would be a kind thing to move him indoors, and if it gives you and your husband joy, why not?  

p.s. You rock, being brave enough and generous enough to offer to get momma cat fixed. 

• Like 6

Um, this is very close to how we ended up with our 5th cat. The final impetus was a hurricane bearing down on our city and the fact that the outdoor kitty had lost all his siblings, but we are practically 100% positive that this 5th cat is half sibling to our 4th, on the dad's side. We think 5th cat is either sibling to our 3rd or is the 3rd's nephew. I bring up the 3rd cat because she has taken on a motherly role for the 5th. It's very sweet to watch and they spend almost all day side by side. So if you have the space for a 5th cat, then I vote yes for taken on orange kitty. Speaking of orange kitties, I was watching a video the other day that was saying orange cats fall into one of two categories: funny and goofy or an @sshole. LOL My experience has always been with the funny and goofy ones. Great cats!

• Like 1

I am so glad that Inky and Aslan have each other, and I feel badly that when we found Obama, that we didn’t get him a friend.  And orange cats are the best.  Obama doesn’t even mind him, though I wouldn’t describe them as friends.  Is orange cat young enough to be socialized?  That would be my only hang up.  

I think it’s entirely reasonable to fill an empty nest with cats.  And I agree; I am pretty sure I read somewhere that eleven was the cut off for crazy cat lady.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I am so glad that Inky and Aslan have each other, and I feel badly that when we found Obama, that we didn’t get him a friend.  And orange cats are the best.  Obama doesn’t even mind him, though I wouldn’t describe them as friends.  Is orange cat young enough to be socialized?  That would be my only hang up.  

I think it’s entirely reasonable to fill an empty nest with cats.  And I agree; I am pretty sure I read somewhere that eleven was the cut off for crazy cat lady.  

This is good to know. Having 5 cats, I often, good naturedly, refer to myself as a crazy cat lady. Though technically, DH is responsible for the last 4. The man, who hated cats when we got married, now has so much empathy for the outdoor cats that not only did he bring in 4 but now is caring for 2 more outdoors, which I do not claim and do not consider us having 7 cats. Just nope. Uh uh, no way. LOL  Either way, it's good to know I don't fall into the official crazy cat lady category.....yet.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Is it reasonable to fill an empty nest with cats? 

Yes.

Or, my DH is trying very hard to make the case that more cats are the solution, and I don't have many good arguments against it.

DH is a self declared crazy cat lady, after having somewhat recently converted from dog-ism. I am pleased he now stands firmly on the right side of things. 😻

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's a bit disappointing there is still no photo of baby sibling on this thread.  😁  More cats?  Always yes, of course.   Neo needs a crazy friend.  Our last 2 adoptions were kitten pairs and I will never adopt a single baby/young cat again.   🐈😻 

1) Yes! Neo needs a playmate.

2) I'm glad that I am not, yet, a crazy cat lady. We only have seven.

3) I feel like this is a good thread to share photos of the babe my sister has been bottle feeding. 

His name is Kevin McCattister

A8FEBCA5-6EAB-43F9-BDD9-C71D8809C811.jpeg

9EB3E8A5-AE4C-431B-852A-8413C21A175A.jpeg

7FA3295A-CB91-4A3D-8CAF-6AEDDFE54320.jpeg

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I feel like this is a good thread to share photos of the babe my sister has been bottle feeding. 

Just to be clear, ALL THREADS are good threads to share kitten pictures.

Low carb wfpb breakfast recipes?  KITTEN

Arguing about cupcakes?  KITTEN

Whining about DHs?  KITTEN

Puppy picture thread?  KITTEN

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

I'm guessing he's 7-8 weeks now. Mom is still really attentive. So he's a baby, but probably old enough to separate if needed. We got Neo at about 12 weeks, after mom had left, and she socialized really quickly. 

• Like 2