Menu

And AGAIN

Terabith

On 6/6/2023 at 7:20 PM, mommyoffive said:

The high school graduation episode was particularly upsetting being so close to home. The Lt. Governor went out and blamed 'gangs' (and said she was told not to speak...hmmm...maybe b/c idiocy spews forth?) when the incident was prompted by a year-long beef between students and the shooter was never involved with law enforcement or gangs, just grabbed an accessible gun and exacted revenge. Painting the risk of gun violence as a purely urban, gang, low-income phenomenon hurts us all because it makes those who don't fit those categories feel more secure than they actually are and less likely to support meaningful reforms. The easy availability of guns make us all less safe.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 8

At the Catholic school my kids went to, the teachers told them that lockdown drills were in case wild animals, like a black bear, got into the school.  (which apparently happened to a nearby school once).  

I'm so grateful for that kind lie.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

At the Catholic school my kids went to, the teachers told them that lockdown drills were in case wild animals, like a black bear, got into the school.  (which apparently happened to a nearby school once).  

I'm so grateful for that kind lie.  

I convinced my kindergarteners that it's in case of a skunk invasion. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I Finally Asked My Second-Grader What Happens in Her Lockdown Drills. It Broke My Heart. (msn.com)

Well this just makes me so sad inside.  It is so heartbreaking to me as I have never experienced one of these drills neither have my kids.  I am like the author when all we had done were fire drills that were not scary at all.  Our poor kids.

I teach first grade and yes, it's difficult when we have a lockdown drill. In the past, I talk to my students and tell them the exact procedures I have in place for safety and what we should do if someone comes in who isn't supposed to be there. They will usually comment about "bad people". They, unfortunately, will already know why we are having the drill. I have a huge cabinet that is on wheels that lock in place that I move over to cover the door. It's metal and about 7' x 4' in size. Our windows are bullet proof. I don't know if they are breakable should we need to escape. It's so sad we even have to put these things in place. Our country is sick!!

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

American political priorities:
(1) "Protect children" by making it illegal for them to hear a story read by a performer in a dress in a public library.
(2) Make sure that every angry, unhinged man who wants to murder children has easy access to guns and ammo.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

On 6/13/2023 at 10:09 AM, Grace Hopper said:

Not a new incident, but I’m curious about your thoughts on this. (Lemme know if I should start a different thread for it.)

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-school-shooting-covenant-917cabe45a17508270ed001d4a7a4955

I've read that over 75% of the school's parents, and the church, do not want the papers released. I think they fear more trauma to the schoolchildren, no benefit, and worry about copycats? My gut feeling is that some of the groups who do want it released hope to politicize the shooter being a transgender person, but I don't really know.

The last I read was that the killer's parents want to give legal ownership of the writings to the school so they can do whatever they choose.

Edited by Idalou
  • Thanks 2